What part of the HT process did you find most difficult?

For those of who you have undergone hair transplants, what part of the process did you find most difficult (i.e., painful, uncomfortable) to deal with? Was it the anxiety leading up to your surgery day? Was it the procedure itself? Was it having your staples removed? Was it the immediate post-op recovery period? Was it apprehension over going out in public during your "ugly duckling" period? Was it the endless worrying over waiting for the grafts to start growing?

gmonasco,

Speaking for myself, I'd say it was the waiting. I didn't experience too much pain and discomfort. I had sutures and they were easily removed with no pain.

The first week after a hair transplant is also pretty rough. Shampooing and working the scabs off, sleeping at an incline. After that it's just a lot of anticipation.

Best of luck,

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

As far as physical pain, the staple removal part was a bit painful, nothing terrible though. Sutures do come out easier. The ugly duckling phase is the toughest part of a HT, for sure.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

I would have to say the first 2 weeks after the surgery was the most stressful because you're being overly cautious during this phase, trying not to harm any of the grafts. I started to sleep normally after 3 and a half weeks because I just didn't feel comfortable sleeping on my grafts after 1.5 - 2 weeks. Sleeping for me during this time was tough as well, what helped me was Melatonin and Tylenol PM. The ugly duckling phase was tough, as is the waiting.

Edited by Fingers Crossed

My worst part was the actual planting! I had a very low platelet count when I had mine done, and they kept having to push the grafts back in. The anesthetic starting wearing off and they had to redo it while I was already sore! My last procedure of 400 grafts (remember this was 1993 when they were $22 a pop!) took 5 hours!!

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Worst part for me was the incisions made to get the donor strip. Not so much the pain since you're all numbed up but the noise (I should have worn headphones!) and the thought of what was happening (I should have thought of my puppy!).

Waiting has my vote for being the most difficult part of the process... Although hair_me_out nailed it, hearing the strip removal (no pain) and visualizing it was a bit unnerving. That and the shots prior to are a very close second and third.

Well I had mine 48 hours ago but definitely the initial anesthesia was not too pleasant and now the hiding the wound and recipient area is an interesting game until the sutures come out. I am going to be a bit reclusive as I've told no family of my decision, I just want to quietly heal and grow and see if anyone notices.

So far the baseball cap and bandannas have not summoned suspicion, must be a sign I wore them to much.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

• 2 months later...

The 8 years of life BEFORE having the time and money to do it were pretty painful I would say..... Other than that, the most painful was the staple removal (a total of 3 minutes), the first night of sleep (not painful, just uncomfortable), and any stretching i within a week post-surgery.

Stay home during your ugly duckling period. Theres a million shows and movies free online, take advantage of it.