Albion71's Hair Transplant with Dr. Kulahci - Hair Loss Blogs

Hi HairToday.

Yes, I am pretty angry about the outcome. I was given to expect that the 2,000 or so grafts in the front third of my head would provide sufficient density for a good covering in that region even if I lost all the remaining native hair. I distinctly remember Dr Kulahci saying no one would be able to tell the difference between the hair at the front and the hair at the sides.

Feedback from the clinic has been poor, I have to say. The only response I had from Taner came at the 11 month stage, and he said to send pics at the 12-month stage and the clinic would assess the situation then. Well, I emailed him five days ago but haven't even received an acknowledgement yet.

I hope you are right about the donor hair...

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all.

I will be going to Transmed for a follow-up consultation this week to discuss the disappointing outcome to my HT. All flights and hotel have been paid for by the clinic.

If anyone has experience of these sort of follow-ups, I'd be grateful for any advice about what to expect, questions to ask, etc.

Albion71,

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience. I have viewed your blog, which is fanastic by the way, albeit for all the wrong reasons. Also, looking at your donor area, there is no reason why we shouldn't be talking about a great result here.

I am 10 months post Op and I am also disappointed. I personally don't have any first hand experience of follow up meetings although I am meeting with Spex next week to discuss my situation and hopefully sort something out.

I think that it is very reassuring that your flights and accomm are being paid for, I think that this is a step in the right direction. All I would say is don't get fobbed off which I'm sure you won't having read your blog. The old line 'its still early on, you won't see the final result for 18 months- 2 years' doesn't hold any weight in this case. Even if the shafts were to thicken and mature, it still would not address the density issue due to the low yield and space between the grafts.

I really hope that it works out for you, on a positive note, having seen your pics I do feel that in the right hands your situation is very recoverable.

Good luck mate.

Ditto everyone's thoughts Albion71 and sorry to hear of your disappointing outcome. I hope they will sort it out or compensate you. I received a quote from Transmed for a HT recently and was giving them serious thought and a search of the forum directed me to your blog.

Edited by MRA13

Albion,

I'm happy that the clinic reached out to you and offered you the opportunity for complimentary trip in order to review your outcome. I know that can't bring back lost grafts but it shows that they do care about their patients and their reputation.

I know you'll keep us informed of the outcome. Have a safe trip!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Hi all.

I've updated my blog with an account of my follow up consultation at Transmed.

In short, Dr Kulahci thought I'd had a good result - she said 90% of the grafts had survived.

Any financial compensation is based on her assessment that only 10% of grafts had failed - so only 10% of my fee would be refunded.

Alternatively, I could have a further procedure with Transmed at a discounted rate.

While I appreciate the efforts Transmed have gone to in flying me out FOC for the consultation, I have to say I am disappointed in Dr Kulahci's assessment that I have had 'a good result'.

I'm now mulling over what to do next.

Albion,

I have been following this thread closely as you are in the same position as me in terms of receiving a poor result.

Although I am a newbie on the forus I have received 3 HTs, the most recent was Sept 2010 (10.5 months ago) and the result is poor so I will be embarking on the dissatisfaction route just as you are...... Therefore you are not alone and there are plenty of others in the same position.

I have read your blog update and you come across as very fair, balanced in your opinions and very restrained, even though you must be incredibley disappointed.

I have studied your pics and I'm struggling to understand where the doc gets 90 per cent yield from..... Its absolutely ridiculous. Respectfully speaking (and honestly), the result is poor. All sorts of issues here with density, coverage, general appearance, subtlety, authenticity....... the list is unfortunately endless and it angers me to think that they washed their hands with you with a 10 per cent refund... shocking.

I have a personal issue with the word 'growth' too. That word is used as a 'catch all' and without stating the obvious, there are many other components to receiving a good HT.

So basically, as the refund offer is unrealistic, the most attractive option seems to be the reduced 2nd procedure...... Loads of 'buts' of course, not least of all being issues of competence and trust of the Doc. Do you still have faith in the Doctor? Bearing in mind that you have limited donor hair available you need to make sure that you are in the best possible hands the next time around: its as simple as that.

I know nothing of your personal circumstances and it is easy to do a shopping list of things here. Perhaps money may be the issue for you. I don't know.

It all depends on what your situation is before you decide on your next move, considering all the factors involved. For sure though mate, if I was you, and money is an issue for me having invested in 3 failed ops, I would DEFINITELY put my trust and confidence in the skill of the Doc before anything else.... Especially if it was my last real crack at it....

You have attracted a lot of support on this forum, people with far more knowledge and experience than I. Perhaps even people that have gone along the dissatisfaction route and can give you some real sound advice.

I hope people get on board with this one and start bringing some personal experiences and advice to the table.

All the best

Albion,

Thanks for providing us with an update on Dr. Kulahci's assessment of your results. Given your dissatisfaction with their evaluation, I've been in contact with the clinic. Thus, I expect that they will post their assessment of your results and the photos they took on this topic. After both sides of the story have been presented including photographs, the members of this community will have all the information they need to draw their own conclusions.

Honestly, I was a little surprised to read that Dr. Kulahci feels that you've had 90% growth. But realistically, if you've had more natural hair loss in the front and mid scalp regions, then it's definitely possible.

Ultimately, I'd like to know how Dr. Kulahci and her staff arrived at their conclusion that you've had 90% growth. Also, seeing higher quality, high resolution photos would be helpful in truly evaluating the result.

Ultimately, I do hope you and Dr. Kulahci can work together to help you meet your ultimate hair restoration goals.

Best wishes,

Bill

Hey Albion,

Thanks for keeping the community updated with your results and experience. I'm sorry to see that things aren't going as well as you had hoped.

I have to agree with you on just about everything you said. It's very troubling that Dr. Kulachci's opinion is so at odds with yours, and mine for that matter. I really don't understand how she can claim that 90% of the grafts have sprouted. To me, it looks like less than 50% took... of course, I can only base my opinion on the photos you posted.

That being said, I do see an improvement, just not on par with what I would expect from 2,000 grafts in the frontal third and another 1,000 in the crown.

Thus, I think you are well within your right to feel disappointed and frustrated at this point. This really isn't an acceptable result. What's more, your doctor's response doesn't seem to be congruent with what I'm seeing in the photos you provided, or what you see in the mirror everyday.

Moving forward you have a lot to consider, no doubt. Based on your story and the results you posted, there is no way that I would go back to Dr. Kulachi. It's just too big of a risk. I mean, do you really feel supported at this point? If this is an acceptable result of 90% yield in her eyes, then what about the next one?

If I understand correctly, you don't have much donor in the bank left, right? So to hell with the discount that she is offering you, you can't afford another less than optimal result. This is going to be your last chance, right?

I'd seriously be considering a repair procedure with another doctor if I were you. On your side of the pond you have Farjo, Ferudini and Bisanga. I'd definitely have a consultation with them to see what they think of your results.

Again, thanks for keeping us updated with your detailed blogs and posts. You are an asset to the community. Let us know what you decide and what you learn from the other consultations.

Corvettester

Edited by corvettester

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Dorin

1,696 FUT with Dr. Dorin on October 18, 2010.

1,305 FUT with Dr. Dorin on August 10, 2011.

565 FUE with Dr. Dorin on September 14, 2012.

Albion,

Corvettester has hit the nail on the head! I think i was fannying about a bit too much......

This may be your last procedure and you need a good Doc.... Who knows, the doctor may be sympathetic towards your needs, given that you have been messed around big time.

I echo what Corvettester said about the Doc effectively saying saying that your result was a success. That should be enough in itself to walk away. What's the next procedure going to look like?

Go to another Doc. I wouldn't trust this Doc again....

Also worth a mention is Bill. How good of him to contact the Doc on your behalf and ask them to provide their comments. Being a newbie, that is very reassuring..... Spot on Bill!

Good luck Albion.

Albion,

Have you made any decisions yet or come to any conclusions. I wish you the best.

I have to admit, I'm a little surprised that this thread has garnered so little discussion within the community. I'd really like to hear what everyone else thinks.

Corvettester

Edited by corvettester

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Dorin

1,696 FUT with Dr. Dorin on October 18, 2010.

1,305 FUT with Dr. Dorin on August 10, 2011.

565 FUE with Dr. Dorin on September 14, 2012.

Albion,

I wouldn't go to Dr. Kulachi again. If nothing else, I think you at least owe it to yourself to visit other doctors for separate opinions.

In terms of your results, I see slightly more area coverage, but no real density change at all. I wouldn't call the procedure a great success -- certainly not for the amount of grafts used.

That said, if you're self-conscious about your appearance, I wouldn't say your results look bad, just [almost] non-existent.

Your trip back gave you insight into her thinking -- that she believes this was largely a success. That thinking has hopefully been a great education to you, and you're fortunate it was free. The lesson learned is that she's too proud to admit when an operation she performed was not a success. THAT is not a quality you want in your HT doctor.

Take care! Best of luck with whatever you decide your next step should be!

Secretlythinning/ Corvettester,

I agree. Ok, I'm new to all this but I thought that there would be more comments on this.

Perhaps people are offering private support: I hope so.

It would seem that many here are on the same hymn sheet here bar the Doc. Again, I question the intregrity of the Doc in this case for saying that the result was a success.

I wonder if the Doc would be tempted to take a slight step back if you started to seriously showcase your result as a 'success'....

Albion, the fact that you have kept your composure is a credit to you as previously stated.

There is a good result around the corner for you. Be great to hear any developments

Hi all - and thanks for your kind messages of support - both on this thread and privately.

Transmed has sent their 'before' and 'after' pictures of my HT, which I have posted on my blog.

They present a more positive outcome, but I don't feel they represent the true picture, as I have explained on the blog.

Thanks once again for your comments, and I'll keep you posted with any further developments.

albion, your hair improved after the transplant and its visible, but it looks more like you've had 40-50% growth from that HT.

Thanks for posting pics and for having such a detailed progress from day 0 to 12 months

I hope everything works out for you in the end

I can't believe they gave you assessment of 90%. I wondering where they are getting that from. I commented on your case early that I would be concerned with growth yet others said to give it some time. Well that didn't work did it and those pics they sent are certainly deceptive and don't paint the real pictures. As I said before do not go back to them. I always say just because doc is in the coalition, you shouldn't go in blind. Do you research. I know know not all doc bat a 1000 but theres got a be a bell curve where you got average docs to above average docs.

Good call mate, I am following this closely and you are right on the money!

I personally think that a 'smoke screen' is created for want of a better term to encourage people to wait a full 12-18 month and even 2 years before they see ther final result.

Although that may be reasonable in some cases to allow for maturity etc, in cases such as this it is a complete none starter.

From a personal point of view, there really needs to be more safeguards put in place to protect the patient. Unfortunately some doctors are better than others at addressing dissatisfaction and some are shameful.

I will continue to give this the attention and continued support that it needs.

Does Bill have an update having touched base with the Doc?

Hi,

You definitely have had some growth after your HT but like the other poster no more than 40 - 50%. I've seen a couple of results from Transmed that are less than stellar and I'm surprised that Doctor Kulachi is a coalition member.

Doctor Feller may be controversial at times but at least he stands behind his patients. No doctor has a 100% success rate.

Albion71 do you know what your going to do next?

Regards

Rod

Hi Guys,

I wanted to address a few comments:

1. I personally think that a 'smoke screen' is created for want of a better term to encourage people to wait a full 12-18 month and even 2 years before they see ther final result.

Although that may be reasonable in some cases to allow for maturity etc, in cases such as this it is a complete none starter.

Jessie, I'm truthfully sorry if this sounds like a "smoke screen" or some type of stall tactic. The truth of the matter is that nearly all hair restoration experts will attest that the true, 100% maturation period for a hair transplant procedure is 12 months. Frankly, I've personally seen drastic changes in results between the 9 to 12 month marks and while this may not be overly common, it's simply good protocol to remind all patients to wait the full 12 months before assessing the situation.

Having said that, I will attest that maturation rates of 70% (roughly 9 months post-operative), 80% (10 months), and 90% (11 months) are usually fairly indicative of how the final result will present and we (the moderators) always try to be realistic about procedures at these milestones.

2. From a personal point of view, there really needs to be more safeguards put in place to protect the patient.

How so? Frankly, I've always been of the mindset that open, honest communities like our own do add a level of regulation and understanding to the field of medical hair restoration. I'd like to believe that we host a fair, balanced discussion board and never discourage patients from sharing legitimate concerns. However, keep in mind that our forums are fair and balanced with regard to both patients and physicians, and every member is responsible to support what they say and do on the forums.

Furthermore, I believe our highly selective screening process, continual evaluation of recommended practitioners, and thousands of photographic examples provides patients with the power to properly research, ask questions, and come to confident decisions. However, (and I mean this sincerely) if you have any suggestions to improve the community's "safe guards" please let us know! We pride ourselves on being a patient-oriented community and welcome any ideas that can improve the network.

3. I always say just because doc is in the coalition, you shouldn't go in blind.

Anouar,

I agree - all patients should thoroughly research prospective physicians before undergoing hair transplantation. However, I did want to simply share both our Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians and Recommended Physician standards.

As you can probably tell, not only does a physician need to meet various qualifications to be considered for recommendation, but they also need to be approved by the community members before actually becoming recommended hair transplant surgeons.

I hope this addresses some of these concerns. Also, as previously stated, Bill is currently working with the clinic to help address this situation and hopefully Albion will be able to obtain the results he desires (which is what is really important here).

If you have any other questions, comments, or concerns, please don't hesitate to reply or send me a private message. Thanks again guys!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Blake,

I take your points on board, that is why i did not make sweeping generalisation and i'm sorry if it came across to you in that way. The lastthinhg we want to do is knack peoples confidence early on. I was referrring to hopeless resuts whereby maturity won't address the issue if you know where I'm coming from.

I stand by my comments regarding some Docs having different levels of customer satisfaction/ willingness to tackle dissatisfaction. Same could be said about any industry offering a service to an individual.

Safeguards was not aimed at the site, my god you do a cracking job and sorry if i have offended you mate: none meant. I was directing this towards some Doctors who seem to get away with doing a less than satisfactory job and regardless of the patient going along the painful dissatisfaction route. i have previous experience of this having been butchered by a UK clinic who washed their hands of me. This was pre forum knowledge however,

Cheers,

Jess

Blake,

I take your points on board, that is why i did not make sweeping generalisation and i'm sorry if it came across to you in that way. The lastthinhg we want to do is knack peoples confidence early on. I was referrring to hopeless resuts whereby maturity won't address the issue if you know where I'm coming from.

I stand by my comments regarding some Docs having different levels of customer satisfaction/ willingness to tackle dissatisfaction. Same could be said about any industry offering a service to an individual.

Safeguards was not aimed at the site, my god you do a cracking job and sorry if i have offended you mate: none meant. I was directing this towards some Doctors who seem to get away with doing a less than satisfactory job and regardless of the patient going along the painful dissatisfaction route. i have previous experience of this having been butchered by a UK clinic who washed their hands of me. This was pre forum knowledge however,

Cheers,

Jess

Jess,

No offense taken whatsoever! :D I was simply trying to clarify some points. Again, thank you for your contribution to the thread. I think your input and genuine concern is really an asset to the community.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Albion, good luck. No way you should be happy with the results.

Even more alarming to this community should be the fact that this RECOMMENDED doctor considered this HT a 'success'. Wow!!!!!!

Buyer beware!!! Hopefully prospective patients of this doctor run across this thread and go elsewhere!

Dr Arocha

3626 FU's

H1: 508

H2: 1741

H3: 1377

My Hairloss Website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2127

I know that Dr. Kulahci and/or one of her associates had planned on posting however, since nobody from her clinic has posted to date, I just emailed them again encouraging them to respond. I did however, get the impression that Dr. Kulahci and her clinic truly wants to work with Albion to help him meet his goals. In my opinion, Dr. Kulahci is highly skilled, performs ultra refined hair transplants and meets our demanding standards for the Coalition. Thus, I think we ought to reserve judgement and wait for her reply on this topic.

Best wishes,

Bill

Thanks for the update Bill! I think we all know that not every transplant is going to be homerun even by the best docs... what's very important to me though is how they handle the situations where something obviously didn't go right, and resulted in a sub-par HT like this one.

Hopefully the doc will come here and clarify the sitation, what bothers me the most is that the doc has called this a success to the patient. I really hope I've misunderstood something with how I've interpreted this thread - there is just noway...

In fairness to this doc, they haven't come here themselves (or their damage control personel) and attacked the patient like I've seen from other clinics on here lately which is a good thing.

Hope this situation is resolved for all involved!!

Dr Arocha

3626 FU's

H1: 508

H2: 1741

H3: 1377

My Hairloss Website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2127

Hi all,

Thanks again for your comments.

In answer to some of your Qs - I haven't decided my next move yet, it's something I'm going to take a lot of time over. But I will certainly have further surgery.

I haven't heard any more from Transmed. I'm not sure whether it's right for them to contact me direct or post on the forum - I wouldn't want this thread to turn into a slanging match. I would prefer to keep all communications as rational and reasonable as possible.

I would like to thank Bill for all his efforts to get in touch with Transmed regarding my case.

Finally, I should say this forum has been a huge help in researching hair transplants. But my decision to go with Transmed was based on their coalition membership - and obviously I've had a disappointing outcome. Something for everyone to think about there.