Albion71's Hair Transplant with Dr. Kulahci - Hair Loss Blogs

Hi this is my first post on this forum,

i started receeding around 18 and from around 22 it stabilised leaving me a norwood stage ll hairline with deep recessions in the temple area. i started reading up on hairtransplant surgery a couple of years ago has i have always hated my hairline or lack of it,and and have recently after careful consideration and plenty of research decided to go ahead with an fut hairtransplant procedure with dr kulahci of transmed in istanbul turkey on the 24/november 2010, for approx 1500-1600 fut grafts or maybe a little more or less depending on a final face to face consultation with dr kulahci at the transmed clinic before surgery to restore my hairline. albion could you tell me how you are progressing, hope i made the right choice going to transmed not to sure now!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all - sorry about the delay in replying but I've just moved house and they couldn't connect my internet for three weeks.

First things first - here is my six month blog update.

Secondly, thanks for your comments.

Difuser - I've sent emails to Didem @ Transmed with my blog updates. She's been helpful in responding about stuff like the pimples and now to treat them. When I've asked about the slow regrowth progress (as I perceive it), the message has been 'patience'. I'll drop her another line now and see what she says.

The moderators on here have been very helpful at calming my worries, and there are certainly plenty of examples out there of HT patients with very strong regrowth right up to and after a year post op.

Keep me posted with your progress.

Mas1 - all the research I did (and I did a huge amount) pointed to Transmed being an excellent HT clinic and I see no reason yet to doubt that. But I would say that 1500 grafts is not many, depending on what are you are trying to cover.

Hi all, thought I'd share with you Transmed's response to my email expressing concern about slow regrowth:

<<

I spoke with Mr. Taner and the Dr.'s about your case and they have indicated that normally 80% of the growth is the slowest. Meaning that you really need to be patient until month 8-10.

If at that point there is still no growth then we will be able to evaluate accordingly.

I appreciate you are anxious but just hang in there a bit more :)

>>

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Greetings all,

Based on the results posted by Transmed on this site, I was very close to scheduling an appointment with Dr. Kulahci's office for a HT.

However, the results posted by patients themselves are not as encouraging.

Albion, since my hair is very similar to yours, I will wait and see how your growth progresses before I decide if it will be Dr. Kulahci, Dr. Feller, or Dr. Dorin.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sorry to see that things aren't going well for you. I think you're completely justified in being disappointed at this point. The chances of a dramatic improvement at this stage are unlikely based upon what I've seen from other patients on the HTN. However, I do appreciate why the clinic doesn't want to do an assessment until 12 months post-op.

Have they been supportive and reassuring in your contact with them so far? Do you feel like they’re going to stand behind their work?

I hope this ends up working out for you one way or another.

Corvettester

Edited by corvettester

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Dorin

1,696 FUT with Dr. Dorin on October 18, 2010.

1,305 FUT with Dr. Dorin on August 10, 2011.

565 FUE with Dr. Dorin on September 14, 2012.

What's there to standby? Its either one thing or another. The clinic did a poor job. In that case, I would demand a full refund and I would def not go back there but more than likely they are going to blame it on physiology.

What's there to standby? Its either one thing or another. The clinic did a poor job. In that case, I would demand a full refund and I would def not go back there but more than likely they are going to blame it on physiology.

Anouar,

That is exactly what it means to stand behind their work: repair or refund... though I don't know if I'd take the repair route.

I love it that you're so hardcore!

Corvettester

Edited by corvettester

Hi,

It is my understanding that what we pay for is the procedure and many clinics have contracts that indicate that less than optimum results may occur. Whilst I haven't been a member on this forum for years I am yet to read of a clinic refunding a patient's money.

It would be difficult to undergo a HT after such a poor a result but it may have been a one off by the clinic.

Good luck and I hope it works out okay for you.

Regards

Rod

I would definately be disappointed. Is this by a recommended doc?

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Sorry to hear you are not happy with the results, I was looking back at your pics taken just after the op and its clear now that not all of the transplanted hair has grown, could this be because the doner hair was not strong enough or would you say the choice of surgeon had a effect

Hi,

Transmed is a recommended HT clinic on this forum. I read so many posts from HT patients indicating how wonderful their experience was with a HT surgeon only to read many months later that the results were less than expected or they never follow up again and provide us with information.

It provides us all with a lesson to realise the final result is all that matters. I have been reluctant to make posts until I am 12 months past my HT surgery.

In a situation like this I think that it is very important for the HT clinic to provide feedback and to do their best to help a patient. After all it is a very expensive procedure to get done.

Regards

Rod

Hi all, and thanks for your comments.

Transmed has talked about 'compensation' - I'm not sure what that would involve.

However, I'd have to think carefully before going for another HT there, given the poor result I've had this time out. Though obviously, I'm now limited in how many grafts II can have from a future HT.

Anouar - you talk about blaming it on physiology - what do you mean exactly?

Hi,

Some clients even though the clinic has a high standard simply do not grow and usually this is mentioned as poor physiology. Apparently this may happen in 1 or 2 cases out of a 100.

Good luck Albion please give us an update when everything has been sorted.

Regards

Rod

Hi,

...poor physiology. Apparently this may happen in 1 or 2 cases out of a 100.

Just my luck. I'll have to research this some more.

Some of the transplants clearly have worked - I can tell from the way the hairs are crinkly - so it's frustrating that a small proportion of hairs have been ok but the majority seem to have died.

They also appear to have transplanted more successfully into some areas than others, which again is frustrating and a little confusing.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

My final blog post - one year on - there's been no real change in the last 2-3 months, so clearly a pretty major disappointment.

I have sent my pics to Transmed, and will see what they come back with.

I am prepared to be offered some sort of 'repair' surgery - but I've recently received a message from another Transmed patient who had two such 'repairs', which were both unsuccessful.

I would be interested in hearing people's views on whether a repair procedure is worth it, when you're revisiting the same surgeon who delivered a poor outcome first time out.

On a similar note, I'd be interested in people's views as to how plausible it is that physiology is to blame - as mentioned by a poster above. It seems unlikely to me.

Thanks as always to everyone for their comments and advice.

Albion,

Sorry to see that things didn't work out for you. I think you're justified in regarding this HT as a failure.

At this point, I don't know how open I would be to a "repair" procedure if I were you. I mean, it would be different if your result was simply less than optimal; however, it seems to be more of an outright failure, in my opinion.

I tend to take a hardline view of less than optimal results. It's just too easy to write everything off as a physiological limitation. So perhaps it's better to wait for some more feedback from the community.

I can imagine your frustration with all the waiting and anticipation, not to mention the cost, time and effort you put into this. I really feel for you on this one.

Corvettester

Hi Albion,

I'm really sorry for you that your result was poor and this is a worse case scenario that we all go thru when we have a HT. In regard to a previous comment I made regarding a patients physiology may lead to a poor HT outcome, this is what I have read from a few other posters and clinics.

Good luck.

Regards

Rod

Hi Albion,

I'm really sorry for you that your result was poor and this is a worse case scenario that we all go thru when we have a HT. In regard to a previous comment I made regarding a patients physiology may lead to a poor HT outcome, this is what I have read from a few other posters and clinics.

Who knows if the HT team were having a bad day when you had your HT?

Good luck.

Regards

Rod

Ive been following your progress over the last few months. Like everyone else whos commented i really feel for you, you must have gone through major upset stress and worry.

Im really surprised the doctor/clinic hasnt been on at any stage to explain the result to the community on this thread, normally coalition doctors get straight on the case.

Just out of interest what were you promised?. imo i think you have a right to be pretty angry actually. Considering the number of grafts, the area of coverage and in particular the spacing of the graphs shown on your post op pics I am struggling to see how this couldve ever been a success without a significant amount of native hair to start with. This isnt clear on the pre-op pics but on the immediate post op pics it just looks like the grafts were really widely placed with massive gaps and spaces in between.

On the bright side from your pics it looks like youve still got plenty of donor left. If it makes you feel any better I started with significantly less donor.