Regrets.

It's now been around 3 years since my hair restoration...3 long hard years some regret and embarrassment. Trying to solve one problem has caused me a larger problem that I can not hide. My Donor scar is still noticeable I have tried many concealers to try and hide the scar but nothing really has worked. I now avoid social situations as much as possible and dread going to work. This is a horrible way to live and causes me constant anxiety.

I think my hair was just too fine and I should have never been considered a candidate for a hair restoration on top of this along the scar line my hair kinda bunches up in places enhancing the scar line making the scar even more noticeable..

I wish I never did this. Anyone else feel this way?

Edited by creepingback

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

creepingback,

I'm very sorry to hear that your HT has left you feeling this way. I looked back through some of your earlier posts and managed to find some photos but it would help greatly if you would post some updated pics.

Have you consulted with any other doctors to find out if you would benefit from a scar reduction procedure?

All the best,

TTP

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Creepingback,

I'm sorry to hear that your donor scar is wider than you expected. Do you have any recent pictures you can show us? Also, how was the growth from your procedure?

Spex mentioned that he thinks your physician was Dr. Pathomvanich. Is that true? Have you been in touch wtih him with your concerns? If so, what did he suggest?

The good news is, there are scar revision/repair options available and you may want to consider them. Your physician should also be willing to work with you to help you meet your goals.

If there's anything I can do to help, don't hesitate to contact me publicly via this forum or privately via messaging.

Best wishes,

Bill Seemiller

hi there, i am scheduled to have surgery with Dr Pat end of the month and if the surgeon was indeed him, its better we can openly discuss it. Maybe its due to some other factors as i have been in touch with a handful of his patients who had nothing but praises for his techniques...

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

Signs of scarring in the back of your hair should not cause you such anxiety. You are dwelling on the scar. When you say you might not have been the best candidate, I've found many people are not the best candidates because they will dwell on their HT and allow it to consume them. One persons butchering is another persons success.

Very few people have perfect hair, many are thinning, some only have patches of hair, some shave their hair and others have HT's of varying degrees of detectability.

A scar in back should not be hard to conceal, in fact, it probably is not noticeable to 99% of the people you are around. It should not have this effect on your social life.

Hi, thanks for your responses. Yes my Doctor was Dr. Path. Please don't get me wrong I think hes a great doctor and did a fine job. It's not that my scar is wide it's more that my hair is so fine and thin on the sides that makes it noticeable along with the fact that on one side over my ear the hair around the scar enhances it. Unfortunatly I am not in a position to get this repaired if that's possible and having dirty blond hair makes it difficult to match a concealer.. Yes, a line around my head shouldn't affect my social life and give me anxiety, but it does.

Seems stupid to say that a scar shouldnt affect your life, everyones totally different, my scar affects my life and thats that. Nothing that anyone says on here will stop my scar affecting my life, I just have to deal with it, coz its there. Its very normal for you to not be happy about your scar because the only way you will get a scar like that is from an HT, and its a constant reminder of that.

Seems stupid to say that a scar shouldnt affect your life, everyones totally different, my scar affects my life and thats that. Nothing that anyone says on here will stop my scar affecting my life, I just have to deal with it, coz its there. Its very normal for you to not be happy about your scar because the only way you will get a scar like that is from an HT, and its a constant reminder of that.

how bad is your scar ??

not as bad as it used to be, look on my blog and you will see what it was like before my fue into my scar and 5 months after. It's also what it represents to me, that i let bad doctors cut pieces of my scalp out, I dont know what I could of been thinking.

my scar isn't anywhere near as bad as the ones you posted. It wouldn't be an issue if I started off with a fuller doner area. I'm sure most don't notice but a others do. I am not sure how noticeable it will be in a picture but I will try and take one and post it.

creepingback, i m scheduled to have my surgery on 15th this month so if u could post ur pic on the scar, it will be great :)

i think the majority of Dr Pat's patients can vouch for his worksmanship and dedication.. i am pretty sure u spoke to him abt ur scar? did he have any comments?

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

for what it is worth, my scar is 7mm wide and not symmetrical. i have not been able to cut my hair short in back for 17 years because the scar was placed below my occipital bone and subsequently stretched. i have to keep my hair long in back to cover it. also, my nape hair is now much more diffuse then the rest of my hair.

i have been told by doctors recommended here that i can get scar reduction but i worry that this will further stretch out my neck hairs making them even more diffuse. my preference would be to get body hair transplant into the scar and near my nape to at least camouflage it a little.

Using Propecia since 1997

Using Rogaine Foam once a day since 2012

Using Niazoral 2% once a week since 2012

Yeah, the scar is a big problem for me too, if I grow my hair longer I don't think its visible but I can feel it, it still throbs and it feels thick and raised to the touch. Like Sparky said It's a constant reminder of the dreadful thing that happened to us. (I wont call it a mistake because I don't consider it my mistake) Best thing we can do is share our experiences to help other guys make better informed decisions.

Point blank, some people are bothered by any thought of a scar on the sides and back of their head, no matter how minimal. Others like me aren't nearly as concerned about the scar as long as it's reasonable in width. Since I can conceal my scar pretty well with a 4 or 5 clip, I'm perfectly satisfied with that. While it would admittedly be nice to shave it closer if I wanted, for me, keeping the sides and back of my hair a little longer is a fair tradeoff for restoring a full looking head of hair on a Norwood level 6. That said, if my scar was still visible even if my hair in these areas were kept quite long, I'd be looking into repair options or ways to conceal it. Each patient must therefore decide what's acceptable to them and then determine with the help of a quality physician whether or not what's acceptable can realistically be achieved.

Thankfully, wider scarring and stretching is uncommon with today's techniques and the minimal tension physicians place on the wound. That said, scar stretching is a very real possibility and those who have multiple procedures may end up with slightly wider scars than those undergoing hair transplant surgery only once.

FUE has its own limitations however, those extremely concerned about scarring from the beginning should at least consider FUE. However, if a patient turns out not to be an FUE candidate (which is very possible), it's far better not to have surgery at all then go with a surgeon who will gladly take your money to provide you with you want short term, but be potentially detrimental long term.

Best wishes,

Bill Seemiller