The Best of the Best???

Delawaredude

From all you lovely souls who have been on this site for years and years, and done all the research one could shake a stick at -- who, at this point, would be considered the best doc in the country?? I am mainly concerned with hairline work, and if/when I make this decision I certainly want to use the best man for the job. I have heard Shapiro's name again and again, but wanted to stir the pot again anyways to get a couple more opinions if possible. Thanks all, this site is great!

From all you lovely souls who have been on this site for years and years, and done all the research one could shake a stick at -- who, at this point, would be considered the best doc in the country?? I am mainly concerned with hairline work, and if/when I make this decision I certainly want to use the best man for the job. I have heard Shapiro's name again and again, but wanted to stir the pot again anyways to get a couple more opinions if possible. Thanks all, this site is great!

Hi Delawaredude.

What I've learned from this ite it is very hard to say who is the best doc in the country. I am also doing reserche myself to find the right man, and as far as I can see there is a few doctors wchich need attention. I woul'd reccomend to look up also at Dr. Feller, Dr.Epstein, and Dr.Alexander. See how do you like their work and go for online cosultations with them or any other doc wchich you are interested of. That is relly helpful with making right decision. Get as uch information as you can so you know you did a right choice.

Good luck!

Well, I am biased towards Dr. Shapiro...... I think he is the best in the world!!! icon_rolleyes.gif

Anyway, his hairlines stand the test of time, so you don't need my vote to see the quality of his work.

Anyway, what I wanted to say to you is this....

After you narrow your search down to 3-4 Docs, when you do consults, you will "feel" which Doc is right for YOU personally.

The minute I spoke with Dr. Shapiro, I knew I was in the best hands for my needs.

Aside from the fact that he is my Dr, just make sure you are comfortable and COMPLETELY on the same page with whichever Doc you choose.

I get many after session questions that should have been addressed pre-op, such as placement, target density, design, etc....

I hope this helps you out, and I hope that you choose one of our Coalition Docs.

You will be in great hands,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

I am a Shapiro fan for hairlines but I also have to say that Dr. Keene has extraordinary talents also for her artistry of hairlines.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

The "BEST" is both fact and opinion.

Asking someone to pick the best HT physician in a lot of ways is like asking someone to pick the best artist. One can agree that there are a lot of outstanding artists...but different people prefer different styles of art, use of colors, and ultimately, different artists.

There are a number of top physicians that do quality work and therefore could be deemed the best. Personally, I went to see Dr. Hasson for my third surgery because I believe him to be the "best", however, this is not to knock other top physicians who do outstanding work. But Dr. Hasson personally has impressed me for years. SOOO....what it comes down to is finding a doctor that meets the "gold" standard but also one that you personally like the best based on talent and artistry.

Bill

Agreed Bill,

There are many great surgeons and unfortunatly, some bad ones too. When choosing among the great ones, it comes down to the consultation and the patient/doctor relationship formed thereafter.

Ultimatley the results tell the tale and many docs are capable of acheiving results. The real test is: does the work meet or exceed the patients expectations? The great ones deliver.

NoBuzz

The real test is: does the work meet or exceed the patients expectations? The great ones deliver.

I think this is true to a degree, especially in the case where doctors promise the world but deliver squat. BUT, I think we have to tackle the problem of "unrealistic expectations" where people think they are going to come out of the HT with a full high school head of hair.

Of course, it's also up to the doctors to educate the newbie patients so that their expectations come down to a reasonable level. But even that holds to be problematic...because how does a newbie patient going to a doctor really know whether or not the doctor is giving them accurate information? What if a doctor sells their limitation as the best that anyone can do? An example of this might be a doctor saying something like "Dense packing will lessen the survival rate of the transplanted grafts". Considering some of the top doctors in the industry dense pack successfully on a regular basis with high yield, this statement is simply not a general truth...HOWEVER, it might be a truth for that specific clinic...a limitation if you will whether self-imposed or due to lack of skill.

Anyway...it really all comes down to educating yourself BEFORE consulting with any doctors. That way you know whether or not you are being fed true or false information.

Bill

This is so subjective, but I'll tell you who I would choose if I were to go back in the chair for hairline work....

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Dr. Ron Shapiro (I like what I've seen from his brother Dr. Paul, also, and might opt for him)<LI>Dr's Hasson & Wong - I like both of them, Dr. Wong gets mentioned for crownwork a lot but I really like his hairlines <LI>Dr. Cooley - I really like what I've seen from him, very clean work <LI>Dr. Feller - I've been impressed by all of Dr. Feller's work, including hairlines

At any rate.......that's my guesstimate. You really just need to invest the time and do your own research to see who fits YOU best. The nice thing is with so many great Doc's researched and recommended here you can narrow it down to a few and see much of the work and opinions of those who've been to them.

Good luck-

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Yes, Dr.'s Rahal and Alexander are doing great work.

I feel comfortable recommending them to anyone who asks.

Dr. Rose is on this list as well.

Take Care,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Originally posted by NervousNelly:

I am a Shapiro fan for hairlines but I also have to say that Dr. Keene has extraordinary talents also for her artistry of hairlines.

I have heard good things about Dr. Keene as well and I am considering her for a procedure, but I have seen very few examples of her work. The pics on her website aren't the best. Where have you seen her hairlines besides Gorpy?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

buddyebsen,

I saw that you are looking for more photos on Dr. Keene's patients. She has recently added more to this website under her profile, or you can see some at hairrestore.com by clicking the link to the gallery under construction. It has come to Physician's Hair Institute's attention that more photos are needed so patients can see the excellent and natural results that Dr. Keene provides. She keeps her overhead to a minimum and limits marketing expenses because she wants to pass on the savings to her patients. Although she has many photos available in office, we are in the process of getting the web gallery up to date in fairness to people trying to make a decision on even who to see for a consultation. There are many excellent doctors in this field, and Dr. Keene is among them. Best of luck to you.

I am a medical assistant and hair transplant surgical assistant employed by Dr. Keene

Dr. Keene is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Hi hairtechnician,

I'm glad to see that Dr. Keene is updating her site. Those new pictures look very good.

It's amazing what can be done with fewer grafts in todays over commercialized HT industry.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Originally posted by Bill:

But Dr. Hasson personally has impressed me for years. SOOO....what it comes down to is finding a doctor that meets the "gold" standard but also one that you personally like the best based on talent and artistry.

What about a doc who meets the "celestial" standard? icon_wink.gif

My blog.

HT1: 4063 grafts by Dr. Hasson, 12/9/03

HT2: 3537 grafts by Dr. Hasson, 5/15/06

Total grafts: 7,600

Hi Hair Tech, I have seen Dr. Keenes new photos, I must say it is nice to see.

When you go on a Docs website & there are few photos to look at you wonder why? Do they have enough successful patient photos to show?

I know that it is a pain for Doc's to keep thier web sites updated but it is probably the least expensive & the best marketing tool you can have!

HairTech-- can you update your profile to include your relationship with Dr. Keene and your position?

Anyone who posts here must attach this to their signature.

It is not a negative, just a requirement of Pat's.

Thanks.

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Hi B-spot,

I am an independent contractor for Dr. Keene and a hair transplant technician/medical assistant. I mentioned we are updating our gallery in my last post to make it clear that I was associated with Dr. Keene's clinic. But I will add it to my profile, I just need to figure out how.

I am a medical assistant and hair transplant surgical assistant employed by Dr. Keene

Dr. Keene is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Hi Gorpy and folica,

Yeah, we new it was passed time because results constantly contine to progress, and we will definitely be more diligent about adding new photos. It is an important factor in helping patients to know their options and make informed decisions.

Best,

Lisa

No worries, just go to your profile and put it in your signature.

Something like,"I am an independant contractor and technician for Dr. Sharon Keene as of (whatever date)my opinions and advice are not necessarily the views of the clinic I represent"

If you look at Jotronics, Janna, or Spex who operate in a similar capacity, you can get an idea of what I am talking about.

I figured I would give you a heads up before someone else did.

It helps us keep those who are employed vs those who are not employed straight.

Thanks Again,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Once you narrow your choice of doctors down to three or four doctors it now becomes about confidence. It's the same thing when you hire say a plumber. They all come recommended and are all master plumbers but the one you feel most confident with will normally get the job. Price may play a part in a plumbers job but don't make it a factor when it comes to a HT. Pick the best of the best and then go with your gut. And he will be the best of the best for you.