Have anyone heard about that --- www.bevhills.com

A couple of warning signs - the site mentions micrografts, minigrafts and Fleming/Meyer flap.

I have no doubt that they would claim to be the best, but from the avaiable information I think that there are better options.

Bayer

micrografts, minigrafts and Fleming/Meyer flap.

Dear Bayer, what EXACTLY the difference between "micrografts, minigrafts and Fleming/Meyer flap." and "normal" hair restoration procedure, at, let's say, Bosley?

Thanks a lot !!!

Alec,

I would not classify the Bosley procedure as "normal". Bosley and MHR are "hair mills" with high doctor turnover and high patient throughput. If you perform a "search" under these names on the site, you will find a very low level of satisfaction.

You should be looking for a doctor who uses Follicular Unit Transplantation. This produces a much more refined look than "minigrafts" or "micrografts". As far as the "flap" is concerned, this is an outdated and grossly invasive procedure that has often produced disfiguring results.

The best advice that I can provide is for you to view pictures of various doctors' work and read the comments of the most unbiased people - the patients.

Bayer

Alec,

Welcome to our community.

Whereas I can't mention anything specifically about Bevhills since I've never heard of them, I can say I agree with Bayer. The use of the terms minigrafts or micrografts is a red flag. It is and older and outdated technique that top physicians haven't used for many years.

Minigrafts and micrografts are follicular units combined together and inserted into the same recipient site. This creates a "pluggy" look as opposed to a more natural look. Since hairs grow in natural follicular units which contains hairs of 1s, 2s, 3s, and 4s, it is best to keep these follicular units in tact and not to combine them with other follicular units. Each recipient site, therefore should hold one follicular unit as opposed to mini/micrografts.

I'd consider starting your research of qualified physicians here: http://www.hairlosslearningcenter.org/hair-loss-content...s/our_physicians.asp

Hope this helps.

Bill

Ditto

Be espcially weary when a firm states they have a "new" technology. All of the best doctors state the obvious..

Follicular unit grafting ( FUT or FUE) and mention the T- closure or another term for it..Maybe mesasessions as well

These are the bread and butter of modern transplantation.. There is no other magic potion out there

As they say

" When something apperars to be too good, it usually is."

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Mini's and Micro's make me shudder when thinking of the quality of work available today for HT's. Too bad clinics like this are allow to even advertise as someone is probably scheduled for a HT today..........perish the thought! Makes me all the more joyful I found this site before my 2nd HT or I may have received another 1200 grafts for round two and been chasing HT's the rest of my life.........or until I ran out of money icon_wink.gif.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

• Administrators

I have not heard mention on this forum of the "world famous Fleming/Mayer flap procedure" for a long time. This procedure is radical surgery in which a flap of scalp from one side of a patients head is removed except for the major connecting blood vessels. This flap of hair is then sutured into the patient's hairline area to create a dense hairline in one surgery.

There are a number of problems and issues related to this surgery. One major problem is that the direction of the hair growth in the flap is typically not natural. The high density also typically does not look natural, especially when there is a bald area behind it. The front of the flap also has a scar that typically needs to be masked with micro grafts.

Dr. Richard Fleming and Dr. Toby Mayer, who are both highly experienced cosmetic surgeons, are the acknowledged experts at performing this procedure, which is virtually synonymous with their names. Others have tried to perform this procedure and in some cases the operation has failed when the flap failed to heal and the patient experienced necrosis (dead skin/scalp).

I did see that on one hair loss forum a patient wrote ??“

"The Beverly Hills institute for reconstructive surgery offers a medical procedure called the Fleming/Mayer flap. They cut a one inch wide section of flesh that is SIX to SEVEN inches in LENGTH from the SIDE of your head. They then sew this piece of skin to the front of your head for $10,000. You only get ONE INCH of hair on top of your head. It's a strip that runs across the top of your forehead. You then can let it grow and comb the hair over the back part of the scalp. More often than not this surgery leaves one ear higher than the other. The hair line looks horrible. It leaves the flesh very white looking in front of the hair line and won't tan. It's very intrusive and very obvious. Have you ever seen Frankenstein? STAY AWAY FROM THE BEVERLY HILLS INSTITUTE FOR RECONSTRUCTIVE AND COSMETIC SURGERY."

For a detailed step by step explanation of how this flap surgery works (or doesn't work) visit the "Other Surgeries" page of the Hair Transplant Network.

Dr. Rassman also provides a good explanation of this flap procedure on his blog at http://www.baldingblog.com/2005/11/30/is-the-flap-a-cure-for-baldness/

As for mini/micro grafting ??“ good Lord.

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

Pat,

Thanks for taking the time to explain the Fleming/Mayer Flap procedure. To be honest...I never heard of it before...as it's popularity probably predates my time here.

I think I'll save this thread in my archived knowledge database in case anyone else asks about it and I happen to stumble upon it.

To be honest...it sounds...scary. I think FUT is definitely the best way to go.

Bill

Hi

I remember looking at te Meyer Flap in 1990 when I first started losing my hair..It was featured in an exercise publication. Since then I have heard horror stories about this procedure. In the best case, there are still major disadvantages to the cosmetic outcome

This is not a viable option to hair replacement in my opinion as it is quite risky.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Dear God.....I cannot believe that this procedure is even allowed any more.

Much like the "brow lift", these are types of procedures that should be performed as a last resort type of decision, and NOT because you want to look better... just because.

Burn victims, accident victims, etc.. basically people with NO other choice should consider these options.

However, we see people like Dr. Epstien doing great work on burn victims, so these procedures should be banned unless determined necessary by a physician review panel.

Whew.

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Hi Family,

Wow !!! I couldn't expect to get so many answers in just 2 days !!! You, guys, are AMAZING !!!!!!!!!!

It feels so good to have so much support here. Definitely, I will STAY AWAY from that place www.bevhills.com and do my best to inform others. By the way they advertised in many magazines and newspapers, it's how I heard about them.

Love You all. Be happy.

Alec.

• 2 months later...
Guest wanthairs

funnily enough, I almost went to get this procedure done before I discovered hair transplant network...THANK GOD and everyone involved in this site. I hope those doctors get killed !

Scalp flaps?

Man, oh man . . .

Run, do not walk, away from any HT place offering those surgeries as hair loss treatments.

If you're not already be disfigured when you go in for a "flap" precedure, then you probably will be when you leave.

--------------------------------------------------

• 4 months later...

On the good side, the bevhills folks do clearly state that a HT (be it the flap-of-doom or regular grafts) will not make ya look like you used to; the new hair'll be thin. So at least they're bot bullshitting potential patients. They are, at worst, just guilty of not updating their techniques to take advantage if developments in the field.

To the OP: don't let my playing the devil's advocate confuse ya - don't go to these people.

Can put lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig. Funny, but sad, how such retrograde (barbaric) procedures get hawked as elite and classy.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!