Im a 26 year old guy.

I'd just written a massive message but the file size was too big!

Anyway, if you could take a look at my pics at let me know where I am on the norwood scale? I'm due to see Dr.Pathomvanich in Thailand in October for my HT - what should I be asking him?

I obviously need to protect againts future loss but how far do you think I can go with the temples in terms of filling the in?

Just some general comments/suggestions/advice is something I could really do with! Be nice to hear a different perspective and maybe I will change my mind on certain things.

Thanks

Chavtastic, I had almost similar hair on the temples as you do, but my hairline at the front was definitely more receded than yours.

I consulted with several doctors, both in person and through virtual consulting. I was told that I am NW2.

Do your research thoroughly before you take the plunge on HT. I did my HT surgery 3 weeks ago, and I am 34. I researched for several months, before taking the plunge.

Hope this helps!

FG

Thanks for the replies so far.

Forrest - what was your hairline like when you were my age (26)? My hairline has been like this now since I was 23/24 and does not seem to be changing? So for that reason I'm considering having a HT now rather than later - I also dont have any baldness of my paternal side although my maternal grandfather did experinence some hairloss although it was not particularly bad.

What about my crown? I really cant tell whether its thinning or not - it doesnt seem to be but what do others think?

If anyone has had a similar level of recession at my age maybe they could give me an idea of how theirs progressed so I have some idea of how mine might go? This will help me plan and make an informed choice at my consultation.

Thanks in advance.

Chav,

I got my first transplant at 25. That's pretty young, and I wasn't a very smart 25 year old and I didn't really have a site like this or someone knowledgeable enough to get advice.

However, my pattern was worse than yours. If I were you, I'd try Dermatch on that bald spot on top or maybe some Toppik. And get on the Proscar. Wait until your 30 to make a decision.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Like they said, I wouldn't have an HT at this point. You're hair doesn't look bad, even when wet. Get on propecia. I wish I did sooner.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Well I sent the pics to my doc today - now he's come back and said that based on the pictures (which are the same as the ones on this thread) I'll need around 2,000 grafts plus or minus.

What do you think of that? Personally I think thats too much, there isnt much to be restored from what I can see and some here seem to agree.

I'm starting to have doubts about whether or not to proceed to be honest - are there any docs out there that care to comment?

Your best bet is to consult w/ another doc or two -- see what they have to say.

Personally, from looking at your pics I would absolutely get on propecia/rogaine as mentioned, and give it a year. Continue to do research in the meantime.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Well I sent the pics to my doc today - now he's come back and said that based on the pictures (which are the same as the ones on this thread) I'll need around 2,000 grafts plus or minus.

Understand that the word "need" is irrelevant here.

Ultimately it depends on what you'd be happy with.

I stand by my original opinion. If you haven't yet tried medication, consider it and see if it helps improve your hair before spending thousdands of dollars on hair transplant surgery.

Best wishes,

Bill

• 1 year later...

Hello again guys,

I have been lurking with intent again for some time!

Anyway, it has been over a year since those photo's and I'm pleased to say that things have not gotten worse. I have not used meds but my hairloss would, for now, appear to be stable.

My question is, based on the photo's and the rate of loss - would you reccomend I go and get some work done on the temples? I'm 27 (nearly 28) now, or do you think I should wait until I'm 30 to see where I really am?

I have the money and the inclination to do it, but I'm stopping myself primarily because I dont want to shoot myself in the foot and have the work done and then have a rapid recession!

So, basically what I'm asking is: Given my state of hairloss, and my age, is it too early to predict what kind of pattern I will experience?

we need to see better pics than this. all i can guess at what you want is a thicker apearence as you look to have the hairline intact but its very hard to tell with those pics. and seem to have an ok crown.

Dr A. Armani 2500 Fue

Dec 2008

Proscar X1 Day

Monixodil X2 Day

Msm Daily

• 1 year later...

Hello again everyone,

Well it has been almost 3 years since I posted that message and I'm pleased to say little has changed in my hairline / head. No further loss has occurred. I haven't been on any medication although I'm considering propecia perhaps in a year or so.

Anyway, I'm almost 29 and considering my pattern of loss, my question is: do you think I'm at a point where my pattern of loss could be considered relatively mild? I ask because I would like to visit Dr.Rahal and have my temples restored at some stage in the not too distant future (he has suggested 2,000 grafts which seems a little excessive but I'd like some decent density so can accept that). Any comments on the above? How has others' loss progressed from mid-late 20's and on into their 30's?

Thanks for your help guys.

Chav

your pics are not really good enough. From these pics, you do not appear to need a transplant at all.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Well, you still do not look like you need one. I am not sure what you are looking for. What about your hair actually bothers you? Just based on your pics, I think most docs would not touch you yet, except maybe for the birthmark in the crown.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Just the recession at the temples that I'm looking to address.

The birthmark has, well, always been there! I've learned to live with it so it would not be something I'd look to have work done to.

Do you think 2000 grafts to the temple areas would be too much? And do you think at 29 I'd be foolish to do this given my pattern and degree of loss are not fully established? Or would you say that I'd be less likely to go to say a NW 4 or 5 given the state of play and my age?

personally, I think you are not likely to reach a 4 or 5 if you have never been on meds. That said, you do NOT lool like you need one, I can not see any recession, maybe a mature hairline, so yes, I think you would be foolish.

That said, JUST your temples should be well below 2000. You would only be doing 2000 if you dropped the hairline a bit too.

View Spanker's Website