Crime and no Punishment

Hello Guys,

I want to raise awareness about this poor young man who went through the flap and expansion technique and ended up HORRIBLY scarred, on of the worst I have ever seen.

4.JPG

5.jpg

7.jpg

9.jpg

11.jpg

I emailed Dr. Rose, Feller, and Harris--- Dr. Rose has responded and is asking for pics to see if he can help him.

I know Dr. Harris is on vacation at this time.

I am waiting for Dr. Feller as I just sent the email today.

Guys, it is imperative that we demand the doctors who still perform the Fleming-Meyer, Expansion, Brow Lifts, etc... STOP!!!!!!

My heart is so heavy and has been for over 20 hours since I became involved in this situation.

Please join me in supporting this young man.

Take Care,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Hello Guys,

I want to raise awareness about this poor young man who went through the flap and expansion technique and ended up HORRIBLY scarred, on of the worst I have ever seen.

4.JPG

5.jpg

7.jpg

9.jpg

11.jpg

I emailed Dr. Rose, Feller, and Harris--- Dr. Rose has responded and is asking for pics to see if he can help him.

I know Dr. Harris is on vacation at this time.

I am waiting for Dr. Feller as I just sent the email today.

Guys, it is imperative that we demand the doctors who still perform the Fleming-Meyer, Expansion, Brow Lifts, etc... STOP!!!!!!

My heart is so heavy and has been for over 20 hours since I became involved in this situation.

Please join me in supporting this young man.

Take Care,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

That is unbelievable! Poor guy!

I can't even understand why this procedure is still even done.

Which doctor performed this surgery on him?

If there is anything we can do to support him during this time...we are here:

For more information about the Fleming-Meyer Flap Procedure, read Pat's post here: http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=569...811061913#5811061913

Bill

• Moderators

This looks like it was done some years ago. You can tell by the scars. There's a scar along his hairline in the front picture with no hair behind it. When you look at the side picture, you can see the hair was flipped to cover the front, but as he lost more hair (bald area getting wider and longer) the hairline was lost because that was hair that was originally along the fringe area.

This guy might actually look worse than I do and that would be a first. He has less scars, but I at least have some sort of hair pattern. If I shaved my head the way he did though, I would probably look worse just because of the scarring I have. I feel bad for him, but it's strange that it makes me feel just a slight bit better knowing I'm not the only one in really bad shape.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Guys, I want some attention paid to this young man.

We are supposed to make sure young men and women do not suffer this fate......

So while we are busy helping steer others to better docs, etc... It is also our duty to help those who have been harmed or butchered by the hairloss doctors of the world as well.

My purpose here is two-fold:

1. to make sure we get some help for this guy by asking our Coalition/Recommended doctors to step up and help out.

(Dr. Rose has already responded to my request that he become involved)

2. To make sure any young man or woman considering flap surgery, brow lifts, expansion surgery, etc... FULLY realize the disaster that can occur.

I want all of you to understand a DOCTOR(s) did this.

On a patient who is 25 YEARS OLD!!!!

We are just starting to get things moving, but 2 responses and 50-60 views is not enough.

We need to get behind the restoration efforts as they start to become more defined, otherwise this community is suffering a serious lack of compassion and understanding.

Please lend your support.... more details to follow.

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

I can't believe there isn't some type of legal/criminal precedent for anyone doing these kinds of procedures. Or at least maybe for any doctor who's still doing them within the last decade or something.

I understand it's not illegal to perform elective cosmetic surgery procedures which may be of questionable benefit if that's what the patient deisres. But these flap jobs are categorically gonna give results so far different from what is always being promised by the docs . . . it should be criminal.

------------------------------------------------

Holy....this is just heinous! When you picture a "worst case scenario", and a true "butcher" this is it....*serious*, legal repercussions have to follow.

Its sickening and scary to think that there are actual doctors out there who are capable of this; even that BeverlyHills joint mentioned recently is just unethical at best to be hawking antiquated techniques as elite, let alone being the least bit honest about the critical drawbacks.

Terrible.....

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

B Spot,

I understand what you want...

But how can we help this person?

Is he posting somewhere on this forum? I haven't seen him (though I can't see all), so I assume he is posting these photos and his experience on another? Can you encourage him to share his experience and the detail here as well?

I think hearing from him directly will make MUCH more of an impact (though these pictures speak well over 1000 words). Perhaps then more people will reply.

I will say, however, that I don't think it's fair to assume that just because someone doesn't reply, that they don't care. Technically, this thread has only been up here for 24 hours anyay. Patience my brother...give it time. In the meantime, please encourage him to post his experience here, or direct us to the thread where he does.

I've already saved the pictures on my hard drive for future reference in the event the pictures are removed.

Bill

Originally posted by Bill:

B Spot,

I understand what you want...

But how can we help this person?

Is he posting somewhere on this forum? I haven't seen him (though I can't see all), so I assume he is posting these photos and his experience on another? Can you encourage him to share his experience and the detail here as well?

I think hearing from him directly will make MUCH more of an impact (though these pictures speak well over 1000 words). Perhaps then more people will reply.

I will say, however, that I don't think it's fair to assume that just because someone doesn't reply, that they don't care. Technically, this thread has only been up here for 24 hours anyay. Patience my brother...give it time. In the meantime, please encourage him to post his experience here, or direct us to the thread where he does.

I've already saved the pictures on my hard drive for future reference in the event the pictures are removed.

Bill

No, he has only been in contact with the admin of another site.

The point is that if all of the various forum heavyweights get together and lend support, it will make a difference.

I saw these pictures over 24 hours ago, and things are beginning to move --finally!!!!

I have sent emails to Dr.'s Rose, Harris, Feller, and now Shapiro, just to raise awareness--- If anyone else wants to contact any other members of the Coalition/Recommended docs, by all means, do so.

Even IF they do not respond, they will see these pics and know that a colleague of theirs did this.

It might make those meetings at the ISHRS a bit more substantive in Las Vegas.

Take Care,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

• Administrators

B Spot,

Thanks for bringing this patient's disaster to me and the communities attention. As I mentioned in my private message to you I think the best bet for helping this patient is to get a leading physician to step up to the plate and volunteer his or her services.

It's sad how much repair work has had to been done over the years to clean up the bad work of physicians who made quick bucks off the scalps of trusting souls.

Fortunately, such ethical and physical disasters have become much more rare in recent years. But I think the hair restoration community has a duty to help clean up such disasters and help the victims get on with their lives.

Please keep me posted on the physician responses you get. If we need to email all the physicians who are recommended on this site I will do so.

I'd like to see this community help out a fellow hair loss brother so he can get on with his life.

Who's on board?

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

Guys,

Not sure of exactly what it is that you are looking for but certainly I too would like to see this young man get some help. Personally, even though the pictures do tell the tale, I agree with Bill that it would be nice to know all the details and possibly here the story directly.

I believe that we all could offer some monetary help but I think that the physicians in the industry need to take action amongst themselves if they hope to advance their mission. I like the idea of policing their own.

What a shame for this young man. It saddens me to see such a thing.

NN

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

What in hell were the doctors thinking wen they came up with this barbaric practice? Count me in on helping this guy out, even if it means a trip to the hair club for men. This, unfortunately, may be his best solution.

NoBuzz

woah...i had to look at the pics 3-4 times to see what i was really looking at...

im looking at his donor area, and it doesnt seem to be touched..is this a good sign that be can be repaired?

im not too familiar with the way repairs are done, but ill be sure to say, this is not gonna be an easy case...

i was gonna recommend just using whatever he has left in his donor area to be used on his scars, but his scars are large and everywhere that it probobly wont look so well...

i hate to say it, but i think that the best way for him to fight it is with the help of a possible repair HT and a Hair System.

i would love to be a philanthropists in this situation but im not in the best financial situation (...college loans and 2 more years of school)

whoever did that surgery on him though should be stripped of his license..if not done so already, it should be immediately. a matter afact, his doctor should be the one who should pay for any surgery he would need in the future...

At this time we should be asking for our supported doctors to step up and meet this challenge.

You see, each time a member posts in support here and elsewhere it raises awareness to another level.

At this time, I have been contacted by Dr. Rose and Dr. Rahal who are offering their help if it is needed... who knows, they may not be able to do anything for him, but we have to try.

I am also sending Dr. Paul Cotterill this young mans pics in the hopes that in Las Vegas this year, SOMEONE will have the guts to call this type of surgery for what it is... outdated garbage.

As far as his personal information, he is only communicating with the admin of another site, so as we are working on this, I will detail whatever information that I get as soon as it comes in.

Pat, you should know that I am calling out Dr. Woods, who instead of offering his services offered some pretentious "advice" as usual. I am hoping to shame him into helping. Whatever works, right?

Anyway, I feel very strongly about this young man, so I want to apologize to everyone else who I have not responded to... believe me, your problems are my problems as well, but I have set everything else aside at this point in time.

Thanks Again,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Man, I feel terrible for that poor kid. Best of luck to him and I hope that we can find a good surgeon to hopefully fix the problem. Seeing those pics opened my eyes, yet broke my heart. If i had any cash available id lend it to him ( I am a poor college student) I hope we can do something to raise money if he cant afford the proper treatment.....

I saw this thread over a day ago now, and I'm still getting more sickened every time I look at the pics or think about it.

This MPB problem . . . what the hell kind of situation are we all really in? People paying to basically get "scalped" alive & sewn back together in patchwork, all in an attempt to reverse the appearance of hair loss?

I still don't question society's emphasis on appearance & hair, but I guess I wish more of the respected medical/research community would get exposed to cases like this. The sin of having MPB makes otherwise ordinary/healthy young men willing to pay thousands of dollars to do this stuff to themselves, whether the medical world wants to view MPB as a "serious" problem or not. As much as I don't wish more pain on the guy in the pics, maybe we'd all be better off if cases like these got more public exposure.

It's disgusting that a doctor accepted money from a patient to do this to them, and he's not in prison for it.

The guy in the pics actually paid money for that surgery in an attempt to IMPROVE his scalp's appearance, and then a certified doctor proceeded to do that to his head on purpose.

Regardless of what happens from here, decades from now the guy in the pics will probably still be saying (only to a few of those closest to him) that this surgery ruined his life. Doing that to people, knowingly, misleading-ly, repeatedly, to take their money, should have legal/criminal consequences.

We all know that having elective cosmetic surgery involves accepting a certain amount of risk, and in many cases patient expectations can exceed the limitations of medical treatment. But don't we, as a legal system & medical world, have to draw the line SOMEWHERE? This particular case is miles beyond that line no matter where you wanna draw it.

I mean, what's next?

If Bosley started advertising on college campuses that they can turn NW#7s into NW#2s with a simple outpatient "skull reduction" surgery, would there be no repercussions either?

Where does it end?

------------------------------------------------

B spot your doing one hell of a job with this case.

i just have a few questions, you are emailing these coalition doctors and asking them for help?

what are you asking in these emails and what is your definition of help in this case scenario?

i don't want to turn this into a reversed case and i feel this patient deserves the upmost attention from all of us in any way we can so he can continue to live and enjoy life.

i just felt a little wierd though about what you said about Dr. Woods, "hoping to shame him into helping." iono the background of the case of Dr Woods, but it seems a little weird.

and i totally agree the more the people respond to this post the more it would raise the "red flag" and more members of this board along with the coalition doctors will feel a need to help

Guest wanthairs

I feel so sorry for this poor guy. Count me in for some help ANYTIME>.......

If that Doctor did it to me, Id slice him up all over his body so he could see how it feels...