post-op appearance

Immediately post-op,..would someone have a good idea what the final result will look like in 6+months? ( minus the scabbing and blood ) I mean, would you know the density and look of hairline?

How will donor and recipient area look at 3 weeks and 4 weeks post op?

Would it be realistic, considering if one had already been on a pre-op regimine of vitamins and exercise to schedule a consult and have the procedure done on the next day? I ask this because I am considering Dr. Cooley but live far outside his area. I would like to do it in one trip.

Would it be adviseable to go swimming in the saltwater of the ocean a few days after the surgery but before the stitches have been removed?

Should a patient insist on double layer sutures in the recipient area?

Immediately post-op,..would someone have a good idea what the final result will look like in 6+months? ( minus the scabbing and blood ) I mean, would you know the density and look of hairline?

How will donor and recipient area look at 3 weeks and 4 weeks post op?

Would it be realistic, considering if one had already been on a pre-op regimine of vitamins and exercise to schedule a consult and have the procedure done on the next day? I ask this because I am considering Dr. Cooley but live far outside his area. I would like to do it in one trip.

Would it be adviseable to go swimming in the saltwater of the ocean a few days after the surgery but before the stitches have been removed?

Should a patient insist on double layer sutures in the recipient area?

Other than the scabs and blood there will be reddness that may last for quite some time there will also be swelling which may be significant to the point of closed eyes. You might also have a pair of black eyes . You might look like you were in a car accident. You will probably feel like you were in one too.You will say what have I done to myself.If you have existing hair you will probably loose that,some might come back. Oh yea in 6 months you will see some hair come in and it will be thin. You will have to keep your hair long in the back and maybe the sides too (so the scar doesnt show) and hopefully wont stretch.

"The first cut is the deepest." Cat Stevens

Yea,A bit bad.The "Dr." was William Magdalin of MHR I was a N/W 2 with thinning I got tricked into a supposed "NO Complication"2,500 mini plug procedure under false pretences and lost most of my hair and my health as a result. I have had 1 repair procedure for the front but I am kind of stripped out and in hindsite should not have done it .I have had some laser (plug removal) on my forehead and temples and some dermabrasion. But my hair and skin is the least of it.

Mahair, I can only imagine your pain and anxiety over your procedure. It sounds like it went terribly wrong. I too consulted with MDR in Westchester, NY. I did not , however go to them for my HT as I felt I was being sold something. Dr True did my 2600 7 weeks ago and as I have said in previous threads...it has only been good. I know that you have a right to say what you want on this forum...but it seems to me that your bad experience is your only experience and while it is true in your case...I would hope that others reading would not determine their HT future by using your experience as the bench mark. Thinkingaboutit may have an entirely different experience than you had. It seems like your negativity is overwhelming good sense and logic in your comments. Again, I do feel for you...but you should identify your bad experience with each thread as a potential not as an absolute Wallywonka

Wallywonka, I have the unfortunate priveledge to be in contact with many people who have had similar experiences to my own it is not unique.There are way to many glowing testimonials out there and very few reality checks as to the profound converse results that can and do occur.I was the picture of health did not expect any problems or complications, read propaganda and went forward. The only one that might have saved me would have been Arfy who was giving valid info and A different prospective.Some thought he was negetive. These things need to be said and offered to people so it CAN be given to them as benchmark they can use to weigh the potential risk against the possible benefits. Just giving thinkaboutit something to think about.Other than the cheerleading or how many grafts do you think I need crap. Sorry.

Sadly, Mahair's stated experiences are very real and shocking to him as he has stated.

The great thing is that Dr. Ron Shapiro is doing a great job with your corrective procedures so there is light and hope at the end of the tunnel.

And speaking of Dr. Shapiro, we all know how talented he is and his heart is as big as can be for helping Mahair.

So really anyone considering a HT procedure needs to end up making a decision on a surgeon who not only has the surgical talents but also the ethics of serving the patient's best interest ahead of their own. And folks there are many independent HT surgeons across the country who meet that criteria to choose from. Just remember that "research precedes result".

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Mahair, I'm really sorry guy for your situation. I do not mean to sound course..I am new at this and this has been my experience..positive. I guess that is why this forum exists, so that we all can send out messages that we believe are in the best interests of others. I really wish you the best on your overall outcome and hope to hear and see some good things come out of this for you. WW

To answer the original question:

The hair that will be transplanted is shaved first. After it's transplanted it usually grows for about a week or two, then the transplanted hair falls out and goes into a dormant phase that lasts about 3 months.

After about 3 months the transplanted hair begins to emerge, and grows at the usual rate: about a half-inch per month.

So 6 months after surgery, your transplanted hair will be about an inch or inch-and-a-half long.

Depending on your complexion, the area may still be pinkish or maybe not.

If you don't know the basic mechanics of how a transplant works, then you are in no position to decide on surgery. (No offense intended). Learn all the facts and all the pros and cons, before you decide you want a hair transplant.

4 weeks post op, if you use Graftcyte and follow the post op instructions, you should look like nothing happened-- maybe a little redness (slight sunburn look). Your donor will still be tender but not seen.

Mahair,

I can relate to your pain.I also can relate to Whallywonka,as the same surgeon did my new HT 8 weeks ago.I looked and felt terrible after my old HT,{1990}.Within 5 years,I had enough continued loss that the plugs were visable.I always wore a hat,and kept my hair as close as I could.I remember the angst of having to find a new barber and tell my story before he cut my hair.My latest HT was painless,and most of the old graft work has been thinned out.I treating the old graft scars with Mederma,and they are going away.I look forward to my new growth.So,I

do agree with Wallywhonka,but I have shared some of your pain.

HK

Actually I did, but the consultation wasn't good. I didn't like the vibe the guy gave off and he was pushing drugs. I strictly came for a HT consultation and he was more concerned about telling me what "other" guys do. Plus they use multi-head knives to remove the donor strip. From what I had read on the subject the multi-head knives are not recommended and there were other reasons as well that I won't go into, but over all I just didn't get a good feeling and I wanted to feel confident that I would get the best HT I could. I think my money was well spent

Good for you Boston. We have the best doctors here and some of the worst head butchers . I am glad you traveled and saved your head. Did you get to meet "The Butcher " William Magdalin at MHR, Just out of morbid curiousity ?

Boston,

Do you mind telling me the other reasons you didn't go to Distefano? Also can you explain what this "multi-head knives" thing is? I was unfortunate to go there and now I definitely have to get a scar reduction. It makes me wonder that this donar strip removal wasn't the best with this multi knives thing which could have caused my large scar. Also how did you find out that they use these knives?

From what I gather the tool they use to cut the donor strip has a few knives. So, instead of using a single scalpel and taking out a single strip, they use a tool with a few scalpels so, when they cut the strip it cuts 3 or four strips at once. (basically it saves time on dissecting the follicle units). Now I'm not sure how the multi head knives effects the outcome of scaring. I think the scaring issues comes with the suturing of the strip. Dr. True uses a double suturing in which his sutures the underneath dermis first with dissolvable sutures and than sutures the top layer with removable stitches.

Now all this is just my take on it, by know means am I an expert.

• 1 year later...
Originally posted by eric123:

Boston,

Did you consider going to Dr. Distefano? if so, why didn't you go?

I did just have a consultation with him last week. I liked him better then some of the others I saw in the area, but I still would like to see more Dr.'s before I make a decision.

If your not ruling out a dr that uses a multi-blade to remove donor you need to reassess your level of information. Multi-blades waste donor tissue, guaranteeing higher transection rates, and is generally regarded as out-dated and unethical at this point. You need to run, do some research, and then consult with clinics that are using up to date, ethical procedures.

I hope this helps you out.

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.