Who has been using Propecia for 6 months? lets hear from you!

Hi,

I'm 24 and noticing a receeding hair line. I just started taking Propecia on April 1, 2002. Right now (judging from the diagrams on this site) I am a Class 2. I am wondering if its possible to keep the hair i have since i started taking Propecia now. I know this may sound silly, but I'm afraid no one will ever fall in love with me if I'm bald. I think older guys with receeding hair lines look fine, but I'm only 24. So can I hear from some of of you guys who have been taking Propecia for 6 months to a year? What have you noticed? And when? Has hair stopped falling out? Have you noticed ANY regrowth. More importantly, do you have all the hair you had the day you started taking Propecia? Please let me know guys. Thanks.

Mike

I've been using Propecia for about a year. I do believe that it has stopped my hairloss. I don't know if I have grown more hair, but I was losing hair like crazy until I started using Propecia.

I was a type 5 or 6 when I started using it, but just a few years ago, I was a type 3. Like most men, I kept putting it off, thinking that my hair would stop falling out--it doesn't for most people. If I were you, I would take Propecia and use Toppik--it's a winning combination.

I'm 25 and used it for 6 months last year and it really pretty much stopped my hair loss. I stopped using it and substituted Rogaine because of the cost...big mistake. Rogaine is messy and I hated trying to put it on twice a day. Rogaine also caused me to lose more hair in a short time than I ever had before once I stopped using it. Now I'm using Proscar, same active ingredient as propecia but a lot cheaper. I can't tell a difference with it yet but I think I just messed around with too many things and just killed what hair I had left. Toppik has been great, now if I can just keep enough hair to keep using it. I think the earlier you start with Propecia the better off you'll be. Good luck

• 3 months later...

I am 27 and I have been on Propecia since Septermber of last year. Initially, I noticed my hair stopped falling out 100% (well as good as it could get). I thought I was dealing with a miracle drug. I think after 6 months or so I began to see some significant hair growth. However, it has now been almost 1 year and my recedding hair line is still slowly creeping in the wrong direction. (I am not sure if Procpecia is as affect in the frontal line ???) All in all I think it makes some difference and I am just trying to hold ground until something better comes along or I get over not having hair.

• 1 month later...

Im' close to getting a Propecia prescription, but am terrified that I will shed and lose more (permanently) than I began with. My doctor said h'es been rpescribing it for two years and has never had anyone complain of shedding. Can anyone here tel me what to expect, and does the shed hair grow back? (I would rather not risk permanent shedding if it means not going on Propecia.) Thanks.

• 2 months later...

I have been using Procepia for about 2 years. Initially I was buying the 1 mg tabs from New Zealand pharmacies (go to to get the links under the commercial pharmecies link). I would cut the 1 mg tabs in half for .5 MG dose and did that for the last 2 years. About 1 month ago I started buying Proscar instead which is a lot cheaper. I get 30 5 MG tabs for $90 and quarter them with a pill cutter. This is effectively a 4 month supply for $22.50 per month.

Using it has definitely slowed, maybe even stopped my hair loss. Im a Norwood 3-4 (all frontal loss, no crown loss). I have not noticed any significant regrowth. Although, now that I'm on 1.25 MG dose (from quartering a 5 MG Proscar tab), I may see better results.

Overall, I would definitely recommend any newbies doing a lot of research. The best sites I've found for research are this site and two others:

I am looking at getting a transplant in a couple months.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone actually ordered Proscar over the net at www.cyberdrug.net or anywhere else? Want to be sure you got the real deal. Did you cut it in 4ths or 5ths.

Can any doctors comment on getting it without a prescription over the net (even though I have one for propecia)?

Just want to get a cheaper alternative and hear from folks with first hand experience.

Propecia is great for holding the line around the crownal area (been on it for almost 3 years and can attest to that), but to really give yourself the best chances for retaining what you've still got up front, do yourself a favor and check out the book on offer (only about $15) from http://www.thinningscalp.com/ . It is chock-full of cheap and highly informative solutions (shampoos to look for, supplements, science facts, etc.) and will definately give you an edge in prevention. You may well find that if you just go out and start using only a handful of the 89 items they describe, that that will be enough to stop the loss from up front as well.

Hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using it for 5 months now. I believe that it has in fact regrown hair for me in the vertex. None on the frontal hairline, of course.

Finasteride plus longer hair has had good effects for me. I posted "Before & After" Picts in another thread in this section of the discussion forum.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using it for 6 months. It's made no difference to my hair at all, just very low sex drive (in fact - zero sex drive).

I am not going to take it any more, these companies make billions from people like me trying it for 6 months then giving it up (I spent around $300 on these pills).

There's no way I'm going to carry on taking it for the rest of my life, so I'm going to give it up now.

It may stop your hair receding at the back, but my hair has only an inch at most to go anyway. It's not worth taking a pill for the rest of my life just to save one inch of hair.

Hair transplant doctors always recommend it, not because it's good for their patients, but because the more hair the patient keeps in the donor area the more transplants they can do on them - so the more money they make.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>the more hair the patient keeps in the donor area the more transplants they can do on them - so the more money they make.

The donor hair is supposed to be "permanent" so Propecia will not be a factor on those hairs.

Your analogy has it backwards... the BALDER a patient gets, the more money a hair transplant doctor can make on transplanting grafts. In fact when Propecia first came out, HT doctors mostly said it wouldn't work. But the evidence was overwhelming that it does work, it just doesn't work for every single guy. Plus doctors realized that the more hair a patient could retain with Propecia, the better his transplant would look. And good-looking transplants are good for business.

• 7 years later...

I read most of the posts and I would like to share my experience on Propecia.

I'm 40 and have a hair loss problem since last 5 yrs. I tried many drugs, shampoos, gels and many other things and i settled for Propecia Finasteride since last two years.

Propecia is the best medicine for hair loss. Propecia works differently with different people. It certainly has some side effects and these side effects disappears as our body gets used to the medication.

I'm using Propecia for year and half. I too had side effects in the beginning and as my body got used to it slowly, most of the side effects disappeared.

After year and a half, today 80% of my receding hairline disappeared with negligible side effects.

I'm buying genuine generic propecia finasteride from (promotional link removed)

These guys are fast in delivery and cheap in price. You get Propecia 1mg ONE MONTHS OF SUPPLY for just $16/-

Ok, Well Here Ya go buddy I'll be your lab rat!! icon_smile.gif

First month my sex drive went down.

Second month it started to balance out

third month nothing!

forth month shed

fifth month nothing

sixth month nothing

seventh month no change

eighth month shed

ninth month nothing

tenth month still loosing hair

eleventh month still losing

I just shave my head again with a number 1. No Biggie I've did it before, it's whatever.

Now, what do YOU think I should do!!!

Those sheds, that hair! Does not seem to be coming back from the dead haha Please Come Back To Me Hair!

Just began month 11 on Propecia.

Also, I have had a huge Appetite since I started as well, and gained a small amount of belly fat, I know is abdormal!

Loosing your hair blows!

Why doesn't somebody with some PULL on this website do a study/Audit report on Propecia (AND OTHER DRUGS FOR OTHER DRUG USERS AS WELL). I haven't seen one person with positive results on here (TAKING PROPECIA). AND WITH THERE JOURNAL PICTURES READY TO BACK UP THERE STATEMENTS.

ONLY talk talk talk, but no proof STILL.

I am only trying to help HAIR LOSS SUFFERERS and PROPECIA USERS.

Comments about this?

default609,

For many of us, the primary purpose of taking Propecia (finasteride) or using Rogaine (minoxidil) is to prevent further hair thinning or miniaturization; they're really maintenance drugs. Regularly documenting any overtly appreciable cosmetic benefits of a treatment mainly designed to stabilize hair loss can be difficult.

However, there have been quite a few examples posted on our site:

One Year Effect of Propecia and Rogaine

"Lesson Learned"

You can dig up other threads and photo albums on this subject by using the "Find" tool.

Best,

Anthony (youngsuccess)

-------

All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my My Hair Loss Website

Thank you for that response, but for some reason I'm still not totally convinced those pictures were not just pictures of some one who got a transplant. Although, Those Results are rather impressive/shocking.

My pictures in my journal are more high quality digital camera and closer shots. I have many pictures that are from the same distance away, BUT at just the right angle and light my hair will look much fuller than it really is.

Maybe we should take a toll of how many people Propecia users have enjoyed there expensive experience. How long they were using, and if any regrowth, or maintaining\ ETc, Etc.

Or maybe Propecia is just a sugar pill to make you feel like your doing something about MPB$$$. Msybe not, but a simple survey could prove me wrong, and end this controversy haha

Only trying to help Hair loss Sufferers and Propecia users icon_smile.gif

Thanks for your reply as well

Young success,

I like the name, AND I have an excellent question for you.

Where are the in between pictures of these people. First (before) They are almost NW5 and then BOOM They're back to a NW2. If you could come up with these people's journals!! Then you might have a some Proof! But You dont?

Thanks anyways

Real Proof equals Gradual Positive results, or Gradual negative results. (Key word) JOURNAL haha

Either way, there is still no proof Propecia works with out a journal that the whole world can obviously agree is AUTHENTIC. Wouldn't you agree YoungSuccessMan?

My next case, is Propecia's Home Page and their proof that it works ( How all the candidates are ONLY Gradual CROWN Hair loss Sufferers. If I could proof that, then IF!! PROPECIA IS!! PROVEN TO WORK, THEN THAT WOULD MEAN IT WOULD ONLY!! WORK!! FOR GRADUAL HAIR LOSS SUFFERERS (of the crown) AND!!!! ONLY FROM CANDIDATES WHO ARE GRADUALLY LOOSING ONLY FROM THE CROWN. (THIS IS MY ROUGH DRAFT BRAINSTORM) SO TAKE IT EASY WITH YOUR RESPONSE.

Only Trying To Help Propecia Users and Hair Loss Sufferers. Thank you for your comments

Default609,

All Youngsuccess stated was that for many of us, we see Finasteride as a maintinence drug to slow or stop future loss (which I and most users of the drug will agree with).

It would be impossible to prove 100% that Finasteride is the reason for this slowing of loss, but when thousands upon thousands have noticed this slowing only after taking Finasteride - we feel pretty confident that it is the drug causing this effect.

There have been many people that have regrown some hair but for the vast majority its main benefit is the slowing or halting of further loss. Many longterm users, including myself, are in no doubt that Finasteride has helped save some of their hair.

Edit: Also, where as it may be impossible to prove 100% that Finasteride has slowed hair loss or regrew hair, the science behind it is solid. We are pretty certain now that DHT is responsible for hair loss and it has been proven that Finasteride reduces the formation of DHT; it stands to reason if you reduce the cause then benefits will be possible. Lets not forget that Finasteride was never intended as a hair loss drug, hair growth was a side effect of its use.

Originally posted by default609:

Young success,

I like the name, AND I have an excellent question for you.

Where are the in between pictures of these people. First (before) They are almost NW5 and then BOOM They're back to a NW2. If you could come up with these people's journals!! Then you might have a some Proof! But You dont?

Thanks anyways

Real Proof equals Gradual Positive results, or Gradual negative results. (Key word) JOURNAL haha

Either way, there is still no proof Propecia works with out a journal that the whole world can obviously agree is AUTHENTIC. Wouldn't you agree YoungSuccessMan?

My next case, is Propecia's Home Page and their proof that it works ( How all the candidates are ONLY Gradual CROWN Hair loss Sufferers. If I could proof that, then IF!! PROPECIA IS!! PROVEN TO WORK, THEN THAT WOULD MEAN IT WOULD ONLY!! WORK!! FOR GRADUAL HAIR LOSS SUFFERERS (of the crown) AND!!!! ONLY FROM CANDIDATES WHO ARE GRADUALLY LOOSING ONLY FROM THE CROWN. (THIS IS MY ROUGH DRAFT BRAINSTORM) SO TAKE IT EASY WITH YOUR RESPONSE.

Only Trying To Help Propecia Users and Hair Loss Sufferers. Thank you for your comments

default609,

I agree with Maxxy.

You've stated in a previous thread that you didn't respond well to Propecia. I'm sorry to hear that. However, if you believe finasteride doesn't work for you, the answer is simple: Don't take it.

I can sense you're frustrated, but ultimately Propecia users can decide for themselves whether or not they should continue treatment based on their personal experiences and individual results, which vary.

You saw what you wanted to see in the links I provided. You're certainly entitled to your point of view, but suggesting that well-respected hair restoration clinics are trying to promote Propecia by showcasing their transplant results is a strange argument in my opinion.

Best,

Anthony (youngsuccess)

-------

All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my My Hair Loss Website

I think! it's strange that you copy and pasted my entire reply! lol.

All Youngsuccess stated was that for many of us, we see Finasteride as a maintinence drug to slow or stop future loss (which I and most users of the drug will agree with).

Then It should not be hard to find a journal from these Propecia Users. If there are in fact so many people that have received such a positive result.

I appreciate the feedback very much. Also, I am a bit frustrated as you stated, because I pay a lot of money and hope! into this drug.

I also, understand not all drugs react the same way from person to person.

Young success, well you are right, I did state that Propecia has not been working wonders for me. I DO BELIEVE THAT SCIENCE, MIGHT BE ON TO SOMETHING. I hope that FIN does in fact lower DHT which in fact will help hair loss.

But from my experience I would not recommend ANYONE paying for more hair loss haha.

I still am searching for proof, if there are so many people, where is the proof? Journals, etc.

Default,

I still don't know why you take Propecia if you don't believe it works. However, since you've asked for proof, here's some:

Original FDA Clinical Tests on Propecia

5 Year Propecia Study

Perhaps now you can continue on Propecia with confidence that it works to slow down, stop, and even reverse hair loss in many men.

Best wishes,

Bill

As far a slowing or halting further loss, if you see journals as proof then they are all over this and many other websites; they're the profiles of guys who at various stages of loss have had a transplant while on Finasteride or shortly after the procedure start using Finasteride. They are the guys who you see having at transplant and showing their results a year or more down the road with no or little further loss of their native hair.