Who has been using Propecia for 6 months? lets hear from you!

Because I've read much! about the Shed Phase and what not, and their are theories that sheds will come back about 6 months later. And maybe mine will come back icon_frown.gif If my hair gets used to it's new shed phase.

I've posted these threads before.

If Propecia does work for diffuse thinners. I started at a NW2 one year later, my head is #1 clipped. And now I'm probably a NW3.25?

But it's diffused, My hairline isn't reseeding my crown and top of head and frontal are really thin! The pattern is real evident and now I look bald! Maybe Diffuse thinning is the more aggressive MPB and NOTHING WILL STOP IN IT'S WAY!! haha

I thought I would take it for one and half years, then call it quits. And I am thinking of a transplant NOW :/.

Other than the Hair!! I'm fine, no sides except a huge appitite, the belly fat. Eh, I work out more now and keep myself busy. Like right now lol icon_smile.gif. The depression people say, I called that one as just a big hit to my confidence for loosing my pretty hair. I was already crazy before I long before I Started Propecia!! icon_biggrin.gif

I'm not someone trying to discredit anything. Just trying to find these people.

Sorry to be a pain, But I thought I would sit and sleep and think on this response, but that link doesn't prove propecia has given any human being a positive result at all, and HAIR TRANSPLANT BLOGS are not (Journals of Propecia users). Those blogs won't prove any positive results with propecia AT ALL.

Just saying. Journals!! Any one out there have a journal and a positive result!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????????????

Guess I was the only one who caught that.

Comments ANYONE?

Default,

Did you even read the material I shared with you in the links I provided above?

Again:

Original FDA Clinical Tests on Propecia

5 Year Propecia Study

If you don't see evidence that Propecia works after reading these, then I honestly don't know what to tell you.

If you're looking for patient posted experience, there are several on this forum. You can either believe what you read or not.

Good luck to you.

Bill

WEll I think If I read that link correctly, the newest study of the two studies, MY theory would be relevant. Maybe I am a diffuse thinner and Propecia will not help me.

It was written in that link that most men with results were only vertex thinners MPB. (Gradual crown thinners)(Mine started from the crown but ,y top of head has the pattern showing now, so that is Diffuse right?). And the thing is about that is, I know many gradual only crown thinners and their hair loss is very slow with out Propecia.

I would love to be confidant I'm making the right decision with Propecia. And I would love to start seeing sheds come back in about 5 to 6 months as well. Thats about how long it'll be for my hair to get how it used to be. If I don't just keep shaving it icon_frown.gif

Not all hair transplant patients that have made blogs/journals recording their progress will be using Finasteride but I'd suspect the vast majority of them will be. The point I was trying make in my post above (which to be honest - I thought was clear) was that a lot of those guys had work done X years ago when they were a NW 2, 3, etc and have not needed further work. As we all know, hair loss is progressive... if it isn't Finasteride slowing or halting their hair loss to the extent that even after years they haven't required further work, then what is?

Anyway, to be honest Default, I can't be bothered going over and over this with you, as it seems futile. As far as I'm concerned there is plenty of proof that it works and I will continue to use and recommended it. Perhaps you could show us all the journals and facts that prove Finasteride doesn't work for a lot of its thousands, most likely millions of users? Then I may change my mind, but until that time I won't be replying to your posts in this thread.

Ya I kinda given up to.

What I wanted was people from this planet any where in the world, who recorded their journey with Propecia. Month by month pic1 , pic 2 etc. These people like I, probably started taking Propecia when they first started noticing Hair Loss, like me. These people out there need to speak up and tell everyone HEY!! Propecia works LOOK It worked for me!! T

I cannot give you a positive result journal only negative result one with photo's in a journal on my personal lab top!

I'm gonna continue to take Propecia until the 1.5 year mark, then choose. And Audit for the public for their own helpful needs.

Comments?

• 2 weeks later...

Default,

I feel your pain. When I first started dealing with hair loss about a month ago, I scoured the internet during my free time to learn more about hair loss. The two products that I discovered were solid in treating hair loss is minoxdixl [Rogaine] and finasteride [Propecia.]

What sold me on these two drugs for hair loss is that they are FDA approved. It is very, very, very difficult for a drug in America to be FDA approved unless it has been proven to successfully work in an overwhelming majority. That is why I put my money on those two products.

With that said, what are the percentages of minoxdixl or finasteride working? From my research, 85% of men in the ideal patient parameters [twenties, early hair loss] regrow or retain their hair. To further break down that percentage, 33% claim to have regrown hair, while 50% claim to have retained it.

As for finasteride: from my research, an astounding near 90% of men responded well to the treatment. To further breakdown that percentage, 40% claim to have regrown hair, while 50% state that they have retained their hair.

With that said-- a person suffering from hair loss can fall on that 10-15% of men that do not respond to the treatment at all! It is frustrating to think about, but treatments still don't work for everyone.

However, rest assured, that both drugs are FDA approved. That means they have been ran and ran under the most rigorous clinical trials in the world to prove they are effective in what they claim to do, and they are approved.

Edit: Just to elaborate further-- be careful what you buy! A product such as Procerin's, which claims to help with hair loss, main ingredient is saw palmetto. Saw palmetto is not FDA approved and there are no reliable clinical trials to prove it works! Furthermore, drug companies online offer generic brands of Propecia or Proscar for cheaper prices. From my research, generic brands of finasteride such as Finpecia or Fincar from the Indian pharmeceutical company Clianis has not been verified as a reliable alternative for American brand Propecia. So be careful!

Originally posted by default609:

What I wanted was people from this planet any where in the world, who recorded their journey with Propecia. Month by month pic1 , pic 2 etc. These people like I, probably started taking Propecia when they first started noticing Hair Loss, like me. These people out there need to speak up and tell everyone HEY!! Propecia works LOOK It worked for me!! T

I take a picture every month of the top of my head, but I've never uploaded them.

I started propecia when I was about 22 years old to hopefully undo the destruction rogaine caused to my crown area when I started it when I guess I was 21. Rogaine made a ton of my hair fall out back there. I've continued to use both products and I'm 24 now.

Comparing my photos, the area that rogaine caused the most destruction to (left side of my crown)has filled out to a very slight degree. Only problem is, the right side is slowly thinning.

I wish I never used rogaine so my story/pictures would actually benefit you in some way.

Would I say propecia regrew any of my hair? I dunno, if it did, it has never been massive. I think it has helped me maintain my hair a bit more though. I continue to lose hair in my temples and in that area of forehead between sideburns and temples. That stuff keeps creeping backwards. Compared to when I was 20, I would assume I have only have half the amount of hair I used to in that difficult to describe area of my forehead.

I don't want to leave you hanging, so here's the top of my head's internet world debut...

I always take these right after I get out of the shower and I leave my hair soaking wet. I look more bald when I need a haircut, so I couldn't just simplify and upload 2 pics, we're stuck with a variety of hair lengths. I also used to comb with a comb with teeth further apart in the first few months, so this is hardly scientific. The texture of my hair changed from wavy to straight as well for some reason...

Here's a comparison of

April, 2008 (after 1 month of propecia)

May, 2008 (after 2 months)

August, 2008 (after 5 months)

December, 2008 (after 9 months)

April, 2009 (after 13 months)

July, 2009 (after 16 months)

September, 2009 (after 18 months)

January, 2010 (after 22 months)

I guess looking at these again, propecia really helped me grow back some of the destruction I blame rogaine for in the crown, but it really helped a lot in that area towards the front of my head. My temples have remained bad though, it's a constant decline.

Is it worth the 100s of dollars each year? Yeah.

Is it giving me the amount of hair I want? Not really. The lack of hair in my temples makes me self conscious because it's difficult styling my hair to hide that. Although it may not look like it, I had a lot more hair in that particular area 2 years ago than I have now.

propecia.thumb.jpg.76e052774d667faa58ddc20ed3d3d088.jpg

It would seem from those pics that you don't have a male patter? What did your doc say? Have you considered ever a HT? What do you mean rogain screwed with the hair on your crown? Did rogain not work fopr you, then your scalped became inflammed and you lost that hair permenently?

Thanks for your response.

How many sheds do you think you went through while on Propecia?

Male pattern baldness runs in both sides of my family. For whatever reason, the majority of my baldness is an I shape that is slowly turning into an L shape. When I was in the 8th grade, I would spike my hair, and even back then, the I shape of baldness was forming.

My dermatologist hasn't ever said much about it.

I haven't considered a hair transplant because my hairloss isn't great enough to merit it, and I wouldn't be able to afford it at this time.

When I first started using Rogaine, which was probably 4 to 12 months before I started using Propecia, it caused my hair to massively fall out where I was applying it (my crown on the left side) and the surrounding areas. I don't have any "before" shots, but my showers would be horrifying to me, because my hands would end up full of hairs for the first 2 or 3 months. I would speculate that my hair loss got 4 times worse for those first 3 or 4 months.

I continue to use Rogaine to prevent further loss, but I do not believe it regrew anything for me at all. As you can see in the first picture... I was pretty bad off for a 22 year old. I was very pissed off that it made my hair come out like that. When I went to my dermatologist to get my first prescription for propecia, she recommended I continue the rogaine, so I have.

I don't remember any scalp inflammation. I remember it being a little itchy, but I wouldn't scratch it.

I don't believe it was permanently lost because it looks as if some has come back.

I don't believe I ever shed while using propecia. When I first started it, I remember a lack of hair results for the first few months and a lot of sexual side effects. My ability to get erections was at times really annoying, and at other times, would be normal. My urge for sex would go up and down. Currently, I don't detect any harmful side effects, but I would honestly say that my ability to initiate erections whenever I wanted to has probably gone down 10 to 20%. I don't really think that's such a big deal though... some percentage of that may be due to a less active lifestyle and age.

Originally posted by Ferrari-or-hair?:

Male pattern baldness runs in both sides of my family. For whatever reason, the majority of my baldness is an I shape that is slowly turning into an L shape. When I was in the 8th grade, I would spike my hair, and even back then, the I shape of baldness was forming.

My dermatologist hasn't ever said much about it.

I haven't considered a hair transplant because my hairloss isn't great enough to merit it, and I wouldn't be able to afford it at this time.

When I first started using Rogaine, which was probably 4 to 12 months before I started using Propecia, it caused my hair to massively fall out where I was applying it (my crown on the left side) and the surrounding areas. I don't have any "before" shots, but my showers would be horrifying to me, because my hands would end up full of hairs for the first 2 or 3 months. I would speculate that my hair loss got 4 times worse for those first 3 or 4 months.

I continue to use Rogaine to prevent further loss, but I do not believe it regrew anything for me at all. As you can see in the first picture... I was pretty bad off for a 22 year old. I was very pissed off that it made my hair come out like that. When I went to my dermatologist to get my first prescription for propecia, she recommended I continue the rogaine, so I have.

I don't remember any scalp inflammation. I remember it being a little itchy, but I wouldn't scratch it.

I don't believe it was permanently lost because it looks as if some has come back.

I don't believe I ever shed while using propecia. When I first started it, I remember a lack of hair results for the first few months and a lot of sexual side effects. My ability to get erections was at times really annoying, and at other times, would be normal. My urge for sex would go up and down. Currently, I don't detect any harmful side effects, but I would honestly say that my ability to initiate erections whenever I wanted to has probably gone down 10 to 20%. I don't really think that's such a big deal though... some percentage of that may be due to a less active lifestyle and age.

The sexual side effect works as a double edge sword. Reason being is...If you did go bald i'm pretty sure you'd being having a lot less sex as a result from it anyway loool.

I think you should also stay on any!! rogain that is working for you. If hair cycles, rogain will help it cycle faster I think in theory, right? I'm curious what propecia could do for you with your I pattern. I've been on Propecia for a year, and did refill this month. Butt I am considering NOW a Hair Transplant. I've just posted new discussions.

What advice do you need again?

I am about to hit the 1-year mark on Finnasteride. My hairline has definitely receded at the temples, but overall I'm satisfied with the results (or rather lack of results -- my hair doesn't look that much different from a year ago).

I'm 23 now, still hanging on to NW2 status despite visible miniaturization in the crown area. My roommate is two years older than I am, and over the last two years I saw him transform from a NW2 to a NW5. My modest goal is to hang on to more of my hair than he did. icon_smile.gif