B spot 1st HT

the B spot

Thanks for the mini-update B. I'll look forward to following your progress before and after HT #2. Best of luck following the footsteps of Bobman and Jotronic..........the ultimate hair restoration mentors!

BTW....I sent you a PM.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was guessing you would go back to Shapiro, but just thought I would ask. You mentioned your HT softened. I have read a little bit about that on here, could you expand on that? Does the hair come in thicker, then later adapt to a softer finer hair? does that take away from density?

• 4 months later...

Hey Guys,

Well it is time I join my fellow brothers such as Bill and Hairbank for MY second HT.

(Trumpets Blare--Dah ta da Daaaah)

On Jan 3rd, 2007 Dr. Ron Shapiro will be taking my bald head to the next level, permanently!!!!!!!!

In talking to Matt and Dr. Ron, it is going to be a large session and we will be taking a large amount of tissue out, so I expect a fairly large graft total. I would imagine that 3500 to 4500 would be a good target, and I am hopeful that I can get that much.

I have been struggling with what to do with placement, etc... if indeed my graft totals are 4000 or greater (everyone cross your fingers for me!) because I have areas that MUST be targeted first.

I have to have a build up of my lateral's and a tie-in from the 1st HT to incorporate the existing native hair that is on the side of my head with the transplanted hair from the 1st surgery.

I would estimate that I will need 500 to 700 grafts each side to "beef" up these thin points.

I am also struggling with the idea of re-transplanting my frontal zone heavily, because every graft I put in the front, takes away from what I can do in the crown. In looking at literally thousands of photos, speaking with quite a few patients, and meeting many HT patients, I think it takes about 4500 to 5500 grafts to truly rebuild the frontal zone and core (front 100 to 130cm's) for those of us who have no hair in these zones whatsoever. Of course this is for those of us who have excessive balding.

The sad part of all this is that I still have about 90cm of bald crown to cover, which is really irritating to be sure. I have resigned myself to having a very thin crown, unless I end up with extra donor than originally estimated (again CROSS FINGERS!!!)

So after having 3000 grafts to my frontal zone Oct. 05, here is what I hope happens on the 3rd of Jan............

Doc is able to remove 1.6 to 2 cm (width) tissue 29 cm long and I yield 4000+ grafts.

I will need 1300 grafts to build the lateral zones

4000-1300 = 2700 grafts left

I then need to decide just how dense I want my frontal zone

I think 2000 grafts will make my frontal zone virtually non-see through, but here is where things get a bit tricky.

IF I get right at 4000 I think I will only put 1500 into the frontal zone, (gives me 4500 into the first 100-120 cm's)

2700-1500= 1200 grafts left.

At this point, I basically would like Doc to take my HT back into the crown as far as possible. I think a 1200 graft shot into the top of the crown region only will improve the overall look, even if I have to take away 500 grafts from the front.

Of course, this is based on 4000 grafts----If I were to get anything over 4000, I think I will split them between frontal zone and crown.

So say I get 4400. I would think 1700 in the front and 1400 into the top of the crown. 4500, 4600...........you guys get the point!!!

Anyway, some thoughts about this HT thing as it applies to me personally.

1. Really pay attention to what it takes to transplant an area of bald scalp. Never underestimate what the BEST docs in world can do, and never overestimate your ability to accept thin or bald spots AFTER you use all of your donor.

2. Plan CAREFULLY! Don't lower that hairline right now or over transplant the frontal zone!! Wait and see what will make you happy. I did 3000+ for #1 and I now know what density will make me look absolutely awesome again, and it is not as high as I thought originally. If you transplant at 65-75, you will never know if 45-55 will make you happy, trust me the difference in graft totals is huge over a 100-120cm portion of the scalp (could be 1400-1600 grafts) and these grafts can be used to transplant other need areas.

3. If you are 28-40 and you are a NW4,5, or 6, do at least 3000-3500 grafts on your first HT. Trust me, you will be much happier.

By the same token, don't go crazy for HT #1, because you will probably need 2 HT's anyway and it allows easier closures, less demanding on the Doc and staff, and it allows doc's to go back over the same areas twice, which is always better in the long run.

2-3000 graft surgeries are better than 1 6000 graft session. IMO ONLY. (Or 4000 and 2000, whatever, your still doing 2 HT's)

Anyway, I am going to have Matt take some really high-resolution photos BEFORE the next session in order to show my areas of need and why I am breaking things down the way I am.

I am hopeful of many during and after HT photos as well.

I appreciate the support of this community and of several particular members, (you know who you are), because together we are making a difference. I see it here and I see it in other forums as well.

Thanks Again, and PLEASE-----------CROSS THOSE FINGERS!!!!!!!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

There has no doubt been a lot of thought going into things and that is exactly the way it should be. You look awesome!. I have conversed with you on a couple of occasions but somehow never saw photos until today.

Obviously it is always a matter of personal opinion but I always believe in having the strong and more dense hairline and fill in the the crown as you can. Typically it is the hairline and frontal area that most people see and what you yourself see looking in the mirror. You can always have a natural hairstyle that is combed back to add some cover even if you keep hair short. Either way things look good now and will only get better. Thanks for posting and being a great source of knowledge on this forum.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Hey B Spot, Good luck with the next one. Those are some tough decisions you have to make. I understand how difficult that can be. I look forward to watching your progress. I know Dr. Shapiro will do a great job on you.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

B,

Good luck!! Round 2 is less stressful since you know what to expect. Neverless, it is still a long day of surgery and recovery days which suck, but it is absolutely worth it.

You obviously, are in great hands with Shapiro. You are wise to strengthen the lateral humps and frontal area, but I would leave some for a start in the crown. You don't want the "Monk" look!

If you ever grow your hair longer and comb it back, the hair in the crown, although thin, will help serve to "tack" the hair from the front so it lays/holds better. I also have that big spot to cover but I am waiting to see what my regimen will do for that area for a year before I attack it.

I know some like to dense pack the front, which is fine. If, however, you are NW6, that may look funny IMO if you have a bird nest in front and slick in the crown, it draws too much attention, just my opinion.

If you have any donor (and money!) left, you can spread it around again in different areas in round 3 if you wish.

I believe if you are going to restore your hair, why not go all the way and max out the donor?

You will be looking awesome this Summer! Keep us updated.

NoBuzz

B Spot,

Welcome to the next round of HTs my brother! You look great with 3100 grafts put in the frontal section. I struggled with some of the same thought when I was going in for my third HT...as in, where should I focus the majority of my grafts. I believe it's a personal choice that you will have to make...there is no right or wrong. Keep in mind (as I'm sure you know already having the experience and wisdom you do with HTs), that there is no need to try to do the frontal zone with 100 FU/sq cm...even if you can get it to 50, you'll have a nice illusion of density in the frontal area. If I were you (and this is only me speaking personally for what I would do..this doesn't mean it's what you should do), and this also depends on how many grafts you get, I'd at least put some of the grafts in the frontal third to give a greater appearance of density (keeping the position of the hairline the same), and then go back as far as you can into the crown. For me, I feel that most people will see me from the front and I want to feel more confident looking at them in the eyes than worrying if they are looking at the back of my head. BUT, I'm not underestimating good crown work either...after all, I did opt to put a good number of grafts in my crown which was what Dr. Hasson asked me....did I want to focus on the remaining 2200 grafts in the middle or hit the crown. I decided to hit some in the middle section so not to neglect it (to keep in natural) and more in the crown with hopes to make it close to even in density with the middle, etc. It's all a matter of how you want to play it...coverage vs density etc. I think overall coverage is better with some exceptions. IMO, it's better to have overall coverage, but with a denser frontal third since certain lights will give you a thinner head of hair.

Btw B Spot...do you have any recent pictures to share with us too? It appears that latest pics on your site are 7 months, which is still considered relatively early in the HT process.

I wish you luck and will be here to support you through your second HT my friend. You are in great hands! Start doing those scalp excercises!

Btw...thanks for also sharing your experience and wisdom in this post as well as every other post. Your advice is well founded!

Bill

B, good luck man! I know it's going to work out well for you.

1,614 with Dr. Pistone on 2/3/06 in Marlton, NJ.

As long as the moon shall rise

As long as the rivers flow

As long as the sun shall shine

And the grass will grow

Let me listen, I will learn to speak

The old language

Yes, I yearn to bathe in blue skies

And fall apart from the world of machines

Regain my feet and my pounding heart

My Hair Loss Weblog

Thanks Guys!!!!

You know, it has been a great journey thus far, and it will continue into the future.....

I think I will just have to wait until Doc actually gets me under the knife to see what and where everything goes.

I really hope to make a big splash on this one, but it's cool if I don't get everything I want--- I'll just wait a year and get another one LOL!!!!!

Bill-- I am going to have Matt take some good photos of where I am right now, before HT #2, in order to illustrate why I am doing what I am doing, (subject to Grandmaster Shapiro's approval, of course!) I will post those ASA I get back.

NN, Gorpy-- Thanks Fella's!!!!!

Buzz-- Oh, I hope to have 1500-2000 left after this one (cross fingers =) If indeed I hit 4000 that will put me right at 7000 grafts with (hopefully) 1000-2000 left. I guess it will just depend on how I look after #2 before I decide how to spread out what I have left.

D---- thanks my man!!! Hope you are doing OK? Listen, please use protection now that your fully ripped and back to "pimp status"

LOL!!!!!!!

Take'er easy boys!!!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Hey B-Spot, looks like the time for number two finally came around. Go luck brother, you have been a very valuable resource for me on this forum I remember searching and nearly reading all your post before my HT#1.... and continue to enjoy your post to this day(you bring it like Da Bears D-intelligence combined with talent coming from all angles). Sincerely from me to you I hope your second procedure with Dr.Shapiro takes you too where you desire to go (I imagine is a very hairy place).

Bay

B-

Congrats to you on your upcoming HT# 2 with Doc Shapiro. You've given back countless times here to those of us from the school of the follically challenged, my friend. When Jan. 2nd rolls around, I hope your scalp is like a hairy piece of rubber and wish you the most plentiful of harvests!!! There's not a more deserving poster, brudda!!

I was reviewing your pics again from 7 months. They look a little like my predicament before HT#2............decent hair in the front but the big B-spot in the back. Just thought I would add my prospective for you to consider as I know you are a thinker!! I hope to have posted some pics for you to review before your HT.

Anyhow.............your density up front doesn't look too bad. As we all know here, IT'S NEVER ENOUGH, however other than the little bit of disconnect on the sides I'm not sure how much I'd dense up the front.........maybe 500-1000, not sure?? The crown definitely takes lots of grafts. Judging by what you have now, I'd think you may want as many as 3000 in it for a "decent" appearance of coverage. I'd say 75% of my 3800+ grafts from HT #2 went into the crown but the remainder went some around midscalp and a very few in the widows peaks.

In the end............I opted for having total coverage with maybe a little more temple recision than I would prefer, and possibly a little less density in front than I'd like, BUT, I'm very satisfied having gone for "decent" coverage all over versus looking "normal" from the front then having a bald spot in the back.

Just my $.02 as you know. Again, best of luck to you for a plentiful harvest with Doc Shapiro. Thanks for all of your efforts here on HTN!!

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Thanks Bay!

I am certainly having very hairy dreams right now!!!!

I am getting ready to watch Da' Bears! tonight!!!!!!!!

Anyway, thanks for the compliments, but I have to say that you guys make this easy because when one of us is off for a day or two, many of us are standing in to pick up the slack!!!!

Anyway, I am thinking happy thawts and crossing my fingers!!!!

Later Bay!!!!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Guys!!!!! Well Jan 3rd is the big day (sorry I didn't answer you sooner Bill, must have gone blind for a sec!!!)

Just letting everyone know that I am heading out tomorrow morning at 4:30am Jan 2nd and heading to Minny.

Can anyone say ROAD TRIP??????

My brother and I are loaded up with Dane Cook, Lewis Black, Mencia, G. Lopez, Carlin, Jerky Boys, The Diceman, Stevie Wonder, James Brown, Luther Vandross, EW & Fire, Audioslave, and more additional crap than I can mention!!!!!

This is my 4th trip to Minny, and we stop at this Wendy's right over the IL Wisc border to make fun of the people they have working there. I know, I know, this is crazy but if you guys could come with us, you would know what I am talking about, they are NUTS!!!!! They scare the hell out of us, but we have to keep going back!!!!

Takes about 6 1/2 hrs over the road from my house, but with my brother driving, probably 5 LOL!!!!

Anyway, IF we get through Wendy's, IF we make it in one piece, and IF Dr. Shapiro doesn't throw me out for being a GIANT pain in the ass, I think we just might pull this off boys!!!!

I hope to have some awesome photos and a giant pie-splitting grin to along with them!!!!

God Bless!!!!!!

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Best of luck with everything. Keep us posted as we are all looking forward to your hairy adventures.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Guest Cousin_It

Best of Luck B spot. After this one will you be changing you name to NO B Spot? I think it may be more appropriate. I am sure everything will work out perfectly and by year end you will have quite a good hair of hair. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. You are a great inspiration to many of us here and deserve only the best.

B-Spot,

Thanks for checking in with us bro. I'll be at work tomorrow but my heart and soul will be with you on your surgery day. I suppose at this point you are in MN and winding down for the evening. Get some good rest and be ready for tomorrow (what am I saying....by the time you read this, your surgery will be over).

I look forward to hearing all about your experience and seeing all the pictures you can muster to post!

Bill

P.S. Sounds like you need an MP3 player....much easier to keep your music in one place than changing CDs all the time....especially on a long road trip icon_biggrin.gif

Ok, just checking in the night before surgery..........

Stopped by the office and hung out with Dr. Shapiro and Matt for a bit discussing my session.

My scalp is a tad tight in the back, so we are just going to see what we can get. I am pretty confident that we will get 3000 or more, but I a doubtful that we can really shoot for 4000+ after todays meeting.

I was already planning on doing a 3rd session to top off everything, so if I come back for #3 and I get 1500-2000 that will put me over the 8000 graft threshold that I want to hit (cross fingers) In this case I would rather lean to the safe side.

We did stop at the Wendy's, and laughed at the inbreds a bit, then got the hell out of dodge! LOL

Anyway, I am happy to say that I did get to talk to Dr. Paul a bit and look at some photos of his patients in addition to sneaking in to see a live patient. Let me just say that I think all of you will be similarly impressed with his work, especially in the hairline.

So far it has been a great trip, and tomorrow we it will get even better!!!!

Much Love to you guys and talk to you later!!!!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

so if I come back for #3 and I get 1500-2000 that will put me over the 8000 graft threshold

I think you are just trying to obtain more grafts that me icon_wink.gif. Just kidding man. I'm glad you are having a good time. Encourage Dr. Paul to post some before/during/after pics of his patients will ya?

Sorry your scalp is a bit tight...have you been doing scalp exercises? Of course, it's a little late now...but just curious. You can always go back for more as you say!

Well maybe by the time you go for your third surgery and out-graft me, I'll go for a 4th for another 2000 icon_biggrin.gif. J/K (probably...but you never know right?)

Keep us posted bro. You are a "rock" on this forum and I hope I can support you the same way you have supported me and others!

Bill

B Spot,

I just saw this post that you are going in for surgery number two. You were very helpful to me, leading up to my surgery with 'Dr. Ron'.

All the best tomorrow during surgery and during your growth over the next 12 months!

1662 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Spring 2006

1105 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Fall 2009

M&M Weblog

B-

Sorry I wasn't able to post before you went in. Hey, you've been a huge asset to this community my friend. Here's to a plentiful harvest for you.................hope you get the 4000+, if not, it sounds like you've got a plan! (not to mention one of the best Doc's who I'm sure will deliver for you). I'll be anxious to hear the blow by blow upon your return!

Best of luck to you and happy travels, my friend!

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog