When to start on Nizoral Shampoo after HT?

THINinHouston,

I have found that it depends on how your scalp is healing. If you are experiencing increased redness (a possible sign of irritation), Nizoral could further irritate it. With little or no redness at 2 weeks, you may be ok to start using it again. In my personal opinion, waiting a good month may be optimal, but since you are healing from your hair transplant nicely in these first few weeks, go ahead and resume the use of Nizora1 2% a couple times a week. In the event your scalp has an increase in irritation, stop using it for another couple weeks to give your scalp a chance to heal.

Best wishes,

Bill

agent,

Nizoral is a shampoo that contains active ingredient ketoconazole. Ketoconazole is typically used to treat dandruff or scalp dermatitis but has also been found to potentially be a "weak" DHT blocker. In my opinion, ketoconazole is a bit overhyped, but it can't hurt to use as an adjunct treatment to Propecia and Rogaine.

Bill

Thin,

I believe you are referring to sebum removal, and yes, Nizoral does contain those properties as well, just as Nioxin does. Some will lead you to believe that sebum causes hair loss, but this is highly misleading. There are cases where scalp conditions can cause a temporary hair loss that when rectified, hair growth will continue as normal, but sebum is not responsible for androgenetic alopecia (female and male pattern baldness).

Bill

• 9 years later...

I agree with this statement and firmly believe overuse of 2% Nizoral damaged my outstanding results with Hasson years back.

I've since corrected things with subsequent procedures, but in my experience it's not the scalp condition or sebum that will damage your hair and new transplants but rather harsh topicals such as Nizoral.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

This was my post back in 2013, after that I was repaired in subsequent procedures with Dr. Konior thankfully. You can see the damage that was done though.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/173206-dont-overuse-nizoral-after-hair-transplant.html

Needless to say I only ever sparingly use Nizoral if ever.

I suffer from chronic scalp eczema (the dandruff like SD turned to harder eczema as I aged) and it's a major annoyance but I still have all of my transplanted hair now no matter how bad the eczema gets.

Be careful of using any harsh topicals after a HT.

There is Spex's posts on it, my experience and also others on here if you search.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

hsrp10,

Do you think overuse of Nizoral (which I agree can dry out the hair alot if also using minoxidil foam or 5% liquid or higher minox 'cream' %'s) goes 'systemic' to hair health or simply to hair that is already growing?

I find it very difficult to believe that Nizoral does any damage to the root or hair characteristics before it exits the scalp.

It's shampoo (medicated though) after all and @2X's per week it is almost impossible to believe that even if leaving on head for 5 minutes per shampoo 2X's per week it is powerful enough to do such damage.

I never heard about others having this experience until I read it on here.

My Nizoral overuse was in 2007 but I still use 2% 2X's per week but did take 6 months off after my most recent transplant.

It's interesting to me and would be even more interesting if a doctor or clinical researcher would jump in who has studied this anecdotally or from a clinical perspective.

Cheers!

• Like 1

What it does is dry out and in some cases damages the sebaceous glands (there was a study on it online years ago) if overused. In moderation and for treating SD this works especially the keto for killing the fungus/yeast that cause SD, but you have to follow the directions to a tee.

While regular hair may recover from this if it is not already damaged from MPB newly transplanted hair and the sebaceous tissue/structure is more prone to damage especially in the early stages post op.

For this reason I wouldn't put Nizoral anywhere near transplanted hair for at least a year, and would only use if absolutely required.

As explained in my old post I was overusing it because it worked wonders for my scalp condition and because I didn't see any immediate negative effects. Also made my hair look great! which was why liked using it then.

Spex mentions a lot of similar shed stories from patients and there was a guy on here who went with Hasson because Niz destroyed his hairline.

go dense or go home

im currently on regenepure heard good things about it or lipogaine big 3 has keto but i think in a smaller dosage plus other stuff

best thing for a dandruffy flaky scalp is emu oil, i was on nizoral years back and i had riduclous dandruff! and nizoral only made it more itchy inflamed, red and it felt very tight and inflamed, eventually began using emu oil and just natural oils like bhringraj i kept it in the fridge for about 10 minutes and applied the cooling sensation was amazing

needless to say a few weeks after it all cleared up!

im currently on regenepure heard good things about it or lipogaine big 3 has keto but i think in a smaller dosage plus other stuff

best thing for a dandruffy flaky scalp is emu oil, i was on nizoral years back and i had riduclous dandruff! and nizoral only made it more itchy inflamed, red and it felt very tight and inflamed, eventually began using emu oil and just natural oils like bhringraj i kept it in the fridge for about 10 minutes and applied the cooling sensation was amazing

needless to say a few weeks after it all cleared up!

Depends on what the root cause of the dandruff is, if it's due to dry scalp then yes oil is best but if it's due to seborrheic dermatitis triggered by a yeast or fungus than oils are the last thing you want to put on your scalp, as they will only exacerbate the situation.

The milder shampoos you mention are good along with the Kerium shampoos from La Roche-Posay.

My personal favorite being Kerium.

go dense or go home