In lieu of recent events.......

In lieu of recent events, I would like to share my thoughts concerning this site.

Regardless of the exchange of money or advertising (upfront or covert) over the past years the Hair Transplant Network has helped countless sufferers like myself find a reputable hair transplant surgeon. Given the millions of dollars spent by chain mills to deceive the general public, I count this as a major coup, despite any rebuttal otherwise. I have stated innumerous times on this site and elsewhere that a large part of what drives my association here is saving at least 1 prospective hair transplant patient a month from choosing a chain mill, a poor doctor, or an otherwise unknown doctor. In doing this, I have met and spoken to countless people here in the States and many others from other countries, all tied by a common bond---- beating hairloss.

Hairloss is a binding issue that transcends skin color, religion, social status, country of origin and many other fractal denominators. It is here on HTN where a guy like me can read medical journals, articles, speak to doctors, speak to patients, and do everything in my power to acquire knowledge about this industry in order to help others. It is here where a lay-person can critique the work or philosophy of any given doctor and offer an opinion to others, in order to get a true read of how the abilities of a given doctor are being weighed and measured by US, the paying consumer. Let's not forget that it is us who drives this market--- we clamored for better results--- we got them. We clamored for larger sessions---- we got them. We clamored for thinner scars--- we got them. We clamored for larger, better, and cheaper FUE sessions--- we are getting them. For those that are "in the know" we are getting ALL of the things we desire, (with the exception of BHT--- jury is still out) so having a Coalition of doctors willing to rise to challenge of our demands is desirable and commendable at the same time.

It costs money to be in business, no doubt about it. Advertising and marketing costs continue to rise, along with technology and trained staff. It all adds up to quite a bit.

How do our Coalition Docs keep the costs down to a very competitive rate? Perhaps by belonging to an organization that allows them to display their talents for a nominal fee?

Certainly. However, understand that the organization is one that will at times be displeased with the level of work being performed and act accordingly. Consider Dr. Williams and Dr. DeYarman"???two very nice, caring men who do very good work, but several failures/less than stellar results prompted their removal from the Coalition. There is strength in numbers, so the advantages go both ways: We are a ready pool of potential consumers, but by the same token we also carry the loudest voice when something is not right.

I look at this site as a continued work in progress. Just a few short years ago it was vicious at times and shills ran rampant throughout, without care or concern for the lies and mis-truths they led others to believe. However, just as we demand that our Coalition Docs continue to refine their work, this site has refined itself as well. Look at the weblogs. Look at the level of patient education that is dispensed on a daily basis. Look at the sense of belonging and pride that our members and doctors alike have and should continue have.

We have made a difference. With 1 post, or 5000 posts your voice is now heard. In an unregulated industry that is not held to any real standard of excellence, the Hair Transplant Network has crafted a safe-haven for the uneducated and the educated to receive and share knowledge daily. It is truly remarkable what has been accomplished here and what will continue to be accomplished through working together. This site saved me from chain mills and enabled me to find Dr. Shapiro. For that alone, I owe a debt of gratitude. Many others probably feel the same way, regardless of if they chose a Coalition Doc, a Recommended Doc, or chose a doc armed with the knowledge they gleaned while reading this site.

Let's continue to press forward and continue to support the doctors who persist in meeting our demands...... The doctors who relish the opportunity to have their work critiqued by both the educated and the uneducated. Let's continue to call out or disassociate from those doctors who cannot or will not embrace the level of care we have come to expect. I want to thank all of you for giving your time and energy and making this site what it is today. I want to thank Pat for remaining strong and not folding in the face of adversity. Last, I want to thank all of you for allowing me the opportunity to voice my opinion. I wish you all well.

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

In lieu of recent events, I would like to share my thoughts concerning this site.

Regardless of the exchange of money or advertising (upfront or covert) over the past years the Hair Transplant Network has helped countless sufferers like myself find a reputable hair transplant surgeon. Given the millions of dollars spent by chain mills to deceive the general public, I count this as a major coup, despite any rebuttal otherwise. I have stated innumerous times on this site and elsewhere that a large part of what drives my association here is saving at least 1 prospective hair transplant patient a month from choosing a chain mill, a poor doctor, or an otherwise unknown doctor. In doing this, I have met and spoken to countless people here in the States and many others from other countries, all tied by a common bond---- beating hairloss.

Hairloss is a binding issue that transcends skin color, religion, social status, country of origin and many other fractal denominators. It is here on HTN where a guy like me can read medical journals, articles, speak to doctors, speak to patients, and do everything in my power to acquire knowledge about this industry in order to help others. It is here where a lay-person can critique the work or philosophy of any given doctor and offer an opinion to others, in order to get a true read of how the abilities of a given doctor are being weighed and measured by US, the paying consumer. Let's not forget that it is us who drives this market--- we clamored for better results--- we got them. We clamored for larger sessions---- we got them. We clamored for thinner scars--- we got them. We clamored for larger, better, and cheaper FUE sessions--- we are getting them. For those that are "in the know" we are getting ALL of the things we desire, (with the exception of BHT--- jury is still out) so having a Coalition of doctors willing to rise to challenge of our demands is desirable and commendable at the same time.

It costs money to be in business, no doubt about it. Advertising and marketing costs continue to rise, along with technology and trained staff. It all adds up to quite a bit.

How do our Coalition Docs keep the costs down to a very competitive rate? Perhaps by belonging to an organization that allows them to display their talents for a nominal fee?

Certainly. However, understand that the organization is one that will at times be displeased with the level of work being performed and act accordingly. Consider Dr. Williams and Dr. DeYarman"???two very nice, caring men who do very good work, but several failures/less than stellar results prompted their removal from the Coalition. There is strength in numbers, so the advantages go both ways: We are a ready pool of potential consumers, but by the same token we also carry the loudest voice when something is not right.

I look at this site as a continued work in progress. Just a few short years ago it was vicious at times and shills ran rampant throughout, without care or concern for the lies and mis-truths they led others to believe. However, just as we demand that our Coalition Docs continue to refine their work, this site has refined itself as well. Look at the weblogs. Look at the level of patient education that is dispensed on a daily basis. Look at the sense of belonging and pride that our members and doctors alike have and should continue have.

We have made a difference. With 1 post, or 5000 posts your voice is now heard. In an unregulated industry that is not held to any real standard of excellence, the Hair Transplant Network has crafted a safe-haven for the uneducated and the educated to receive and share knowledge daily. It is truly remarkable what has been accomplished here and what will continue to be accomplished through working together. This site saved me from chain mills and enabled me to find Dr. Shapiro. For that alone, I owe a debt of gratitude. Many others probably feel the same way, regardless of if they chose a Coalition Doc, a Recommended Doc, or chose a doc armed with the knowledge they gleaned while reading this site.

Let's continue to press forward and continue to support the doctors who persist in meeting our demands...... The doctors who relish the opportunity to have their work critiqued by both the educated and the uneducated. Let's continue to call out or disassociate from those doctors who cannot or will not embrace the level of care we have come to expect. I want to thank all of you for giving your time and energy and making this site what it is today. I want to thank Pat for remaining strong and not folding in the face of adversity. Last, I want to thank all of you for allowing me the opportunity to voice my opinion. I wish you all well.

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Amen Brother..

Jobi

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Jason,

My thoughts echo your own. I won't attempt to add anything to your eloquent post. Thanks so much for your research regarding hair loss and countless helps to those frequenting this site. I have very much enjoyed helping in the effort to spread the truth (and love icon_wink.gif).

Onward and upward!

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Dr. B-spot,

This could have been a wonderful gradution commencment speech for all of us here at the HTN Institute of Greater Follicle Growth. Unfortunately none of us really graduate, we are lifelong students. icon_wink.gif You of course, have the PHD.

Well said my brother!

NoBuzz

Great post B spot.

Thomas Ortiz

Thomas Ortiz, BS

Hair Technologist

James Harris, MD

Previous experience with Rose, MD Mwamba,MD, Devroye, MD, Bridges, MD, Cooley, MD, Bisanga, MD, (Bosley/MHR/PAI/Nuhart brief work to understand corporate hair restoration concepts), Cole, MD.

Experience in Procedure: FUT/FUE/Fi_T/Repair Cases/MUT.

I offer unbiased information. I am not compensated to post.

• Moderators

I wish there was something like this site available when I had my transplants done. At the time there really was no way to get any kind of information on hair transplants except for the infomercials from the hair butcher mills.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Administrators

"Spot on" is right on. B Spot well said. You like the other active members of this forum realize that collectively we are not only a community but a real movement that has revolutionized how patients find and learn about physicians and techniques and how physicians find and educate patients.

This community has really evolved over the years and continues to evolve. At one time it was me and Dr. Shapiro. Now look at it. Who could have imagined what it would become and how it would influence the hair transplant industry/profession.

But we still have our work cut out for us. Too many patients continue to fall prey to slick marketing and mediocre over priced results because they do not get beyond the hype and do their research.

Fortunately when a potential patient searches Google for either "hair transplant" or "hair restoration" the Hair Transplant Network ranks #1 ahead of all the national chains.

Right smack at the top of the page our listing reads:

"Hair Transplant? Be Careful! Hair transplants can be great, if you ...Hair transplant results vary widely. Research prescreened hair restoration physicians and view over 500 hair transplant photos. Also share info on our hair ... "

If everyone searched Google before going under the scalpel the chains would be sucking air big time.

We also bid and pay for over 140 niche' search term ads including "Medical Hair Restoration" etc.

We also have dozens of affliated hair loss sites that promote our community. Our latest alliance is with the reputable site "Hair Loss Talk", which now promotes/endorses this community and the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

I intend to continue building such online alliances.

But it would be great for this community to get some good publicity in the off line press. Bosely and MHR have bought themselves plenty of good press offline. But were is the discussion about the patient advocate movement and its resources?

Anyone out there a PR genius who wants to take this on? I think this community and how it has changed the dynamics of the hair transplant industry is one Hell of a good worthwile story.

But I'm shy so if Oprah calls us - Bill, B Spot, Hairbank or one or all of our other hair warriors will need to step up :-)

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

I'll step up but I'll have to be ike that guy from that TV show hom improvement.. Nobody can see me ..

I haven't even posted pics as I am a private person.. Not shy but just in the public eye

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

But I'm shy so if Oprah calls us - Bill, B Spot, Hairbank or one or all of our other hair warriors will need to step up :-)

Good thing I'm not shy icon_wink.gif.

Glad to hear about our alliance with Hair Loss Talk! It's nice to see multiple communities join together for one common goal: to educate patients about hair loss and REAL hair restoration options.

Bill

B Spot and eloquent in the same sentence...Wow. icon_smile.gif

I do have to admit though the guy did state things well. Did someone write this for you B?

Busting your chops big fella. icon_razz.gif Keep sharing the love.

NN

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Thanks Guys..... means a lot......

Just an FYI.... I have begun my first novel... .. Sword and Sorcery stuff and all........ untitled for , but guess what???

Since I have all you critics, I will force you all to read it first and critique it.

HAHA!!!!!!

You guys asked for it!!!!!

PS.. i will put some clones and sex in for Bill if possible icon_biggrin.gif

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

A fine post by a fine person, B-spot.

1,614 with Dr. Pistone on 2/3/06 in Marlton, NJ.

As long as the moon shall rise

As long as the rivers flow

As long as the sun shall shine

And the grass will grow

Let me listen, I will learn to speak

The old language

Yes, I yearn to bathe in blue skies

And fall apart from the world of machines

Regain my feet and my pounding heart

My Hair Loss Weblog

Bspot - Power to the people right on.

There are no bones about you bro.

This means you are a moderator/ co-admin now?

A hair on the head is worth two on the brush.

I don't work for commision.. I bust e'm for free. Thank me later.

Hey B Spot.....I too like the post. It prompts me though to be more cynical. Not about the website. Pat saved my life. I had 1992 corn rows done by nuhart. When that happens you consider suicide more than a lawsuit so for those of you that were never exposed to such butchery.....I'm not exaggerating.

I'm cynical because the industry is getting bigger and the quality is getting smaller. And Pat can dig up another dozen clinics today and it won't make a dent and the new ones need to be watched and updated if they hire new surgeons as part of their expansion. It won't be carved in stone. I heard one of those TV transplant docs actually does great work himself but has now hundreds of surgeons scalping people all over the country and could care less how precise they are. This is a new skill each day. A doctor's past work is a great indication of what to expect, but if they aren't up to the task on YOUR day....forget it.

This business, to be good at it, well, is not a good business. It is hard. There's little money in it for a doctor. A plastic surgeon or any doctor has so many other better money making choices. You can have quadruple bypass surgery quicker than a 2500 graft session. That graft session costs somewhere between 8-10K. A REAL surgeon can only do a few a week. And they need a lot of help. So do the math. Point is that if a doctor goes to a clinic to observe a Dr. Keene or Shapiro, it's daunting to think of emulating the procedure. Such tedium. And a patient's expectations are usually way out of whack. Personally, on average, I think we're all Norwood 5's eventually or worse. So we all basically end up needing a lot of work. So extrapolate that over time. A patient has to be.....patient!!!! Girl gets a boob job and within a month she's......va va va voom!!!!! A radical face lift? 6 weeks and you're ten years younger. Stent or bypass and your heart is ticking better immediately. It's this hair game that is thankless for a year, until when, you then want more!!!!

Point is guys, don't expect this industry to get better clearing the minefields. The minefields are getting more dense as we grow balder. This is hard work. Dr. Keene is a beautiful woman. i sleep through her surgeries and wake up fresh as a daisy. She painstakingly does every graft placement herself. Every single one without exception. She is drained when she leaves and can even look haggard. The fact that she even smiles at me before I jump in the cab is amazing. THIS IS VERY HARD WORK. The money, when the work is done right, ends up to be so so. You can't can't say that about many industries. On the other hand the rich in this industry are well known for their poor results. Go figure.

So don't count on a doc springing up in your neighborhood anytime soon. At least not an artist. And that in turns makes this community, this board, Pat in particular, much more valuable than ever. Here's to hoping the website makes him rich.

Bezane PM me dude.

I also agree that the $hit heels have gotten rich while Pat paid his dues.Exactly go figure.

I hope he makes a bazzillion dollars.

Compared to the other so called advocates such as:

Spencer "hairloss is a disease" Kobren = opertunist.

Farrel Mann =I'f you disagree I'll take my ball and go home.By the way I did have a few fue done by an elite surgeon so I am one of you.

At least when Pat leaves the playing field he let's us play with his ball.

I hope he knows who he is .

Erin go braless.

A hair on the head is worth two on the brush.

I don't work for commision.. I bust e'm for free. Thank me later.