Is Dr. Epstein still among the best

Hoping

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dr. Epstein,

Since you mentioned it, can you confirm whether or not "wanthairs" accepted your offer and went through with a second procedure with your clinic? If not, how was this situation handled?

Also, can you please tell me how you took care of Irishlad and satisfied his concerns?

Thanks,

Bill

John K, I don't mean to sound cynical, but I have reason to suspect your sincerity. You say you were worked on in December 2008; it's been about three months. You were a class VI, you say. How much "more than happy" can you be with the results at this stage, and how "natural" can the work look? You even mention "small graft sizes" and praise a "expert placement." Patients don't typically say things like these. It sounds as if you made up a date that sounds relatively recent, then made a bunch of promotional statements. I hope, if you are just pushing business, I'm not helping you refine your technique, and I hope, if you are sincere, I'm not being to vicious.

Hell, it may be, you're trying to destroy Dr. Epstein, for some reason, by posting such a message. Then, I wonder, why would you wish to do so? Are you the competition? There, you'd be targeting everyone (I doubt Epstein causes you direct harm). Maybe you're a rival doctor who hates him. A scorned patient?

Something, somewhere, though, to me, at least, does smell odd.

*Nine months after your first procedure you went to a dermatologist? So, you saw him in September, 2009? Are you Marty McFly?

**Your entire procedure was performed with you in a "chair" (3,000 grafts, at that: long time in a chair)? No beds at the clinic?

***How do you know Dr. Epstein is a great facial plastic surgeon? Did he do that sort of work for you, as well? Maybe you failed to mention it.

By the way, what's IrishLad31's story?

Curious Jungle George,

My mistake. Chalk it up to my advancing age. My first procedure was actually in Dec 07. Second was on 19 Mar 09. So there was a period of about 15 months between the two procedures. Following the first procedure, it took about 2-3 months to see the new growth. By six months, I had a fair amount of hair. After one year, the results of the first procedure were maxed out. I had my stitches removed (from the second procedure) on 30 Mar 09 (earlier this week). Now I'm waiting for the newly implanted hairs to grow. I'm patient and figure it will be another year before I see the maximum benefit. I elected not to use any lotions to accelerate the hair growth. Again, sorry for the confusion on the dates. Once I figure out how to do it, I will attempt to post some before and after photos. John K

LatinLotus,

Sorry I missed your post. I am new to the use of forums and I also don't have time to review on a daily basis. I see there's a pretty tough crowd out there, but that's a good thing. This is serious business. As I responded to Curious Jungle George, I made a mistake on my dates (first procedure in Dec 07, not 08). I had my second procedure about 15 months after the first. Regarding Dr. Epstein, I feel he and his team did a great job. If my post sounded like an advert to you, it may be due to the fact that I did a heck of a lot of research before making a decision to go ahead with the first procedure. I really didn't want to end up with something that looked like a hair transplant. I have three sisters. It was actually a remark from one of them that prompted me to seriously consider a procedure. They're also pretty tough critics. They are all impressed with my results. I'm very happy with my results to date and my choice of Dr. Epstein. That's the information I have to share with others considering a HT. One other note to address CuriousJungleGeorge's question... I have not had any facial plastic surgery. I mentioned that Dr. Epstein is a facial plastic surgeon because that was one of many factors I considered in choosing him. I figured a plastic surgeon would likely do the best job of closing the incision after removal of the strip, and that a plastic surgeon would have a good sense for aesthetics, thereby providing the best possible result. As a retired Marine, I have seen more than my fair share of human suffering (and worse) and I have great admiration for the men and women who commit themselves to the medical profession. They apply their brains, hard work and considerable talent to help the rest of us and I greatly appreciate what they do. I have no doubt there are other great HT surgeons out there. My personal experience was with Dr. Epstein. I found him to be an honorable man with great skill who is genuinely interested in the welfare of his patients. As I mentioned in my first post, he has provided free care to children in need. That says a lot to me about his character. Best wishes, John K

John,

I'm pleased you are happy with your results from Dr. Epstein. However, remember that everyone has an experience that doesn't always coincide with yours - hence some of the above posts. They too should be just as well respected.

I encourage you to start a new thread sharing your experience and before/after photos so we too can appreciate your results.

Best wishes,

Bill

JohnK:

Thanks for clarifying the procedure date error. Again, it would be nice if you post some pictures, in a separate post preferably. Thanks.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

I met with Dr. Epstein a few months back for a consultation. I went through his photo album and saw many stellar results. He told me what he could do with my hair and I felt that I could trust him.

He did say that he performs a few surgeries a day but assured me that he doesn't rush his surgeries. I'm still skeptical on this.... I'd prefer being the only case in the day. But to each surgeon their own as long as if they are producing excellent results.

Something that bugged me was his patient coordinator told me Dr. E did his transplant and I praised how well it turned out, because he was very happy with the result. But I wasn't really thinking that. I could tell that was a transplanted head if he passed me walking down a street.

Originally posted by Leeson:

Usually, that's suppose to be his showcase patient.

yeah right, sort like Dr. Armani's patient coordinator Pats205. He is not confidence enough to post pics of his own FUE result, which I think is at 1 year mark now...

NewHair,

Pats' is simply biding his time while riding smooth at ~65% growth, and Master Armani has assured us all after close inspection that Pats will be logically be a part of the ~99% of people with phenomenal growth and Master's supreme, artistic touch!

icon_cool.gif

I agree, tho, aside from total laughing stocks (ha ha...) these people are pretty much "showcase patients" like Leeson said...at the very least they represent some of the docs' better work, if not some of his best.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Funny how the reputation of Doctors comes and goes with the wind, how some are flavour of the month and then disappear into the archives of this forum. It's been like that ever since I joined. Every single doctor mentioned here received his share of criticism at one stage or another. Whether it's Dr Hasson or Dr Epstein, I'm still extremely happy with my results and wouldn't hesitate going back to either of them tomorrow. When it comes to HTs, there's no such thing as "one size fits all". No matter how great a Doctor is, he/she's never going to make miracles, and you'll always have guys unhappy with their results who'll blame it all on the Dr. Unsurprisingly, it's always the minority that shouts the loudest, and you don't hear about the large number of satisfied patients who never come back to this forum after their HT, simply because they're pleased with the results and don't feel they need to write here anymore. I think the numbers given by Dr Epstein above speak for themselves. How many happy guys for one unhappy one? 50? 100? I'm certainly one of them. My latest picture is attached.

Copy_of_CIMG6479.JPG.80c3bcbd33e87702450f6fa7b311ba6e.JPG

3045 FUs with Dr Victor Hasson on 8 June 2004

1836 FUs with Dr Jeffrey Epstein on 2 March 2006

Regimen: 1.25mg Proscar every other day

Originally posted by Rachmunas4life:

I met with Dr. Epstein a few months back for a consultation. I went through his photo album and saw many stellar results. He told me what he could do with my hair and I felt that I could trust him.

He did say that he performs a few surgeries a day but assured me that he doesn't rush his surgeries. I'm still skeptical on this.... I'd prefer being the only case in the day. But to each surgeon their own as long as if they are producing excellent results.

Something that bugged me was his patient coordinator told me Dr. E did his transplant and I praised how well it turned out, because he was very happy with the result. But I wasn't really thinking that. I could tell that was a transplanted head if he passed me walking down a street.

Photographs are fine, but if you didn't like the result on a live specimen, consider this might not be the doctor for you. (On the other hand, it could just be your perception of some particular case.)

Many doctors handle a couple of cases on a given day. I think that's fine, as long as he or she is able to handle the load; of course, it'll depend on how large the cases are (three easy 1200s might be acceptable, whereas one very complex 6000 could take up the entire schedule). Keep in mind the lengthy part of the procedure (placing grafts) is usually left to technicians, who typically do handle just a case a day, so not to become too physically and mentally drained.

Originally posted by hairworthy:

Funny how the reputation of Doctors comes and goes with the wind, how some are flavour of the month and then disappear into the archives of this forum. It's been like that ever since I joined. Every single doctor mentioned here received his share of criticism at one stage or another. Whether it's Dr Hasson or Dr Epstein, I'm still extremely happy with my results and wouldn't hesitate going back to either of them tomorrow. When it comes to HTs, there's no such thing as "one size fits all". No matter how great a Doctor is, he/she's never going to make miracles, and you'll always have guys unhappy with their results who'll blame it all on the Dr. Unsurprisingly, it's always the minority that shouts the loudest, and you don't hear about the large number of satisfied patients who never come back to this forum after their HT, simply because they're pleased with the results and don't feel they need to write here anymore. I think the numbers given by Dr Epstein above speak for themselves. How many happy guys for one unhappy one? 50? 100? I'm certainly one of them. My latest picture is attached.

Hear, hear. Both sides are true: the dissatisfied and the disgruntled typically are louder and more interesting than the seemingly generic voices that just sound "pleased." On the other hand, hearing many such angry voices and concluding, "it's just a small-but-visible minority," also is unwise.

We should keep in mind, as well, that doctor-visibility isn't necessarily correlated with competence. Some are just better at putting themselves out there (e.g., Dr. Feller) than others (e.g., Dr. Beehner), whereas others still have large reputations without having to work very hard, actively, to achieve or maintain them (e.g., Dr. Armani).

Thorough research and personal consultations are the best way to decide who's right for you, but even then, it's surgery, and some "luck" invariably plays a role.

*By the way, I recall someone mentioning "bed-side manner" is irrelevant. I feel it isn't. If nothing else, it shows a surgeon's concern for his patient, which will be important in the event something goes awry (which it can in even the most skilled hands).

Originally posted by CuriousJungleGeorge:

Photographs are fine, but if you didn't like the result on a live specimen, consider this might not be the doctor for you. (On the other hand, it could just be your perception of some particular case.)

Rach;

Dr. Epstein told me he had a transplant and it was a fantastic result! So the comparison was a big one!

Exactly Hairworthy. People will complain when their expectations are not met or for anything at all. Many people are hard to please. If you expect a full head of hair after a transplant you are bound to be disappointed no matter who did the work.

Also, if Epstein has had more than his fair share of complaints lately, I haven't been able to find them in the archives and I've looked. I see one or two guys complaining at best. So I have no idea where grow Grow is coming up with this stuff. Maybe he can prove what he says by giving us the actual names of the posters, making it easier to find them.

Finally, unless Epstein did his own transplant, it makes no sense to judge his own work by how happy he is with his transplant itself. Maybe he is very happy because he is in the field and knows what to reasonably have expected given his own situation.

That's the problem with this type of medium. It is great because there is now so much transparency. But on the other hand, no telling who the people are who are giving opinions, whether they have some sort of agenda or whether they are just malcontents. Any bozo with a computer can post on a site like this.

While it is true that any bozo can post and that HTN is not perfect, this community as a whole can usually sort out the good from the bad doctors at the end.

Frankly, i don't see your point of asking for opinion and then attacking or disregarding the opinion of other members who took the time to answer you and who tried to be helpful, because they gave you an opinion that is different from what you thought.

It is your head, do whatever you want with it, I have enough of this thread.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Did you know your doctor was going to get kicked off here until US poster lobbied for another chance .

Ever here of KevKristy ,Timetodosomething wanthairs ,irish whatever ,. There were more then this but unless I drag them to you youll think Im a shill .

Im also done with this thread until the next Epstein thread comes up.

Ask the moderator and owner of this site if Im lying and if I am I give permission to close my account asap.

Dr Epstein has had many issues and I hope he has whatever it was sorted out

http://hair-restoration-info.c...861/m/8901092373/p/1