Poll: Did Propecia work for you?

Ingo79

ng2gb,

I can't comment on eyes sinking or bagging though I hardly believe that DHT blockers would cause this.

Propecia is not guaranteed to work for everyone, so it's not accurate to say that Propecia at the minimum will halt hair loss. At minimum, it will do nothing! There is a good chance that it will halt hair loss, and a lesser chance of it regrowing hair. But there is still a chance that it won't work for someone.

Bill

well then I wonder why this guy assumed it was from DHT blockers? thats weird? his hair is phenomenal!!!! SHUFFLE I LOVE YOUR HAIR!!! YOUR ONE LUCKY SOB!!!

Bill,

Im going to have to change my avotar to Mother Taresa so as to appear innocent because your monitering and questioning me so much...

don't forget ngtgo bald that this guy has also had 7800 grafts and 400 micro grafts too ,if you research most of the really outstanding hair surgeries and transformations from baldies to flowing mains most have had more than 7000 grafts in total

something to think about when embarking down the HT route . you too could have hair like this guy but be prepared to pay alot of money hahaha

good luck bud

richie

2100 crown grafts

Dr Feller

nov 2007

i`m nearly 40 now icon_frown.gif and i`ve not experienced any sexual side effects but saying that i can drink for england and the little fella will still stand to attention icon_smile.gif

2 x strip ht`s with Norton,very poor results

1 x fue ht with DHI,very poor result

• 2 weeks later...

a few questions/thoughts on propecia.

(i) has it been shown in any way to lower other testosterone levels apart from DHT?

(ii) if not, then does lower DHT inhibit building massive muscles?

(iii) has the reason for some men experiencing erectile dysfunction been studied? I just find it strange that erectile dysfunction is by and large a problem with vascularity, which propecia does not inhibit in any way from my understanding.

A logical explanation would be that ALL of those men who experienced erectile dysfunction ALSO experienced low libido. Hence, the low libido was the real cause of the erectile dysfunction. This would make sense and would put my mind at ease because when I used to hear about erectile dysfunction being associated with propecia, I assumed it was causing problems on a much deeper and fundamental level of the body...

any one who has erectile dysfunction from it care to comment?

(iv) is there ANY evidence that sperm count is lowered when on it & can you not try and knock up your Julie while your on it?

* I know I could have started a new thread, but I thought it would be really nice if this thread stayed alive so we could have one comprehensive propecia journal.

• 4 years later...

I started taking Finasteride 5 years ago because of recession at the temples and thinning at the crown. I was 41 years old. I have had no further hair loss. As a bonus I have experienced some thickening at the crown. I take one fourth of a Proscar pill daily. I am very happy with the results I've had and am aware and have read about potential side affects. I guess I've been lucky because I've had none. My libido has remained EXACTLY the same as it was when I started taking Finasteride. I'm sorry for those who have experienced side effects but wanted to add my two-cents worth.

I started taking Finasteride 5 years ago to address a receding hairline and thinning at the crown. I was 41. I take one fourth of a Proscar pill daily. I have experienced no further hair loss and have noticed slight thickening at the crown. I have experienced no side effects and have noticed no change in my libido.

Been taking Proscar 1/4 pill EOD for the past year. I'm guessing it has slowed my hair loss significantly since I would be far deeper in my hair loss process by now I think. I am now starting monoxidil, hoping to see something from that, maybe some good amount of regrowth and thickening.

Oh and no notable sexual side-effects. Admittedly, I am pretty young and quite active (I workout intensively 5-6 days a week). In fact, I would say my libido is in hyper drive. I have the *urge* come along quite often.

• 10 months later...

Propecia worked great for me. There is a reason why people risk side effects or going to doctor to obtain it cause it works.

I think the problem is people aren't buying a generic from a good online pharmacy. This is where I buy the generic without a prescription http://trustedtabsrx.com/ and it works just as good as the name brand.

Edited by urty

I took generic finasteride for about 7 years. It did keep my hair loss curbed a little but I stopped taking it for a much cheaper and more effective solution of products with a routine I stick to. Honestly, finasteride was slowly sucking the life out of me. I had less energy, a little belly fat, less sex drive. I had no idead until I stopped taking it and these symptoms were reversed completely. Now I feel better and have a full head if hair so stopping it was the best move I made by far when it comes to my hair. I won't post the link to the site that details my current routine because I respect the rules of this forum, and it's far too much to type here ha. Basically though I use minoxidil, trichogen, and a few cheap supplements through a routine I follow daily.

Did not help my situation, possibly actually thinned out my HT a little.

Made me hornier than ever, I stopped and thank god no side effects from quitting.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

I really don't know whether or not finasteride helped for me, and I may never know. However, I'm sticking with it.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

Hair transplant 5-22-2013 with Dr. Paul Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group

Total grafts transplanted: 3222

*536 singles *1651 doubles * 961 triples,

*74 quadruples.

Total hairs transplanted: 7017

Non-Surgical Treatments:

*1.25 mg finasteride daily

*Generic minoxidil foam 2x daily

Hi guys, any idea if taking .5mg or .25mg will still do the same job. I have jus ordered I month supply of propecia 1mg. But I am bit afraid of side effects. And have read some people taking smaller dose and it is still effective for them.

Please suggest. I am a new member. I have been losing since 2007. No family history. Tha makes me feel more sick. Oi feel so down now a days and really want to do something about my hair loss. I have been using minoxidil 5% for 3 years, but not much help only slowed down the balding process.

Please help.

Thanks

The recommended dose of Finasteride as it pertains to combating hair loss is 1 mg. I don't know for certain that the people claiming that the .5 or .25 mg is working for them, are accurate in their assessment of the efficacy. I would personally try taking 1 mg, and if you experience any side effects at all (most do not), you can either cut back the dosage or get off of it all together at that point. But I wouldn't suggest not trying something just because you are concerned about a side effect that may or may not occur with you.

Best,

Mike

4737 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 11/16/2012

Daily regimen: 1/4 Proscar (1.25 mg Finasteride), Rogaine Foam (twice daily), 1000 mcg Biotin, 1 combo Vitamin D/Calcium/Magnesium, 1500 mg Glocosamine, 750 mg MSM, 1200 mg Fish Oil, 2000 mg Vitamin C, Super B-Complex, 400 I.U Vitamin E.

I am not a medical professional. All views and opinions expressed in this forum are of my own.

I've been on finasteride 1.25mg daily for 6 months now.

I believe it has stopped my hairloss and even thickened it up slightly. I also use Minoxidil 5% topical solution, so success cant be attributed to finasteride alone.

No side effects.

Regimen:

Finasteride (1.25mg): Daily.

Minoxidil (5%): Twice Daily.

Super Biotin (5000mcg) Vitamin Supplement; Daily

Silica Complex; Daily

The recommended dose of Finasteride as it pertains to combating hair loss is 1 mg. I don't know for certain that the people claiming that the .5 or .25 mg is working for them, are accurate in their assessment of the efficacy. I would personally try taking 1 mg, and if you experience any side effects at all (most do not), you can either cut back the dosage or get off of it all together at that point. But I wouldn't suggest not trying something just because you are concerned about a side effect that may or may not occur with you.

Best,

Mike

Thanks for valuable advise mike. Also what do you think of generic propecia as branded one is ?50 for a month.

Hello everyone,

Please share your experience of taking lower dose of finasteride ; like. .5mg or .25mg.

It is my first time on propecia and I want to start with.5 mg,

What do you think.

Regards

S

I took Propecia for years and then generic finasteride for another 4 years. I found little results and quit it last December once I found a more effective and cheaper routine using minoxidil and trichogen with simple supplements.

Let me say, I DID HAVE SIDE EFFECTS - But I didn't know till I stopped!! Once I stopped the finasteride I lost belly fat, gained sex drive, morning wood, energy and more. I also have far more hair lol! I have to say in my case the side effects crept up on me and I had no idea whatsoever I had them until I stopped. I will NEVER mess with my natural hormone balance again. I researched a massive amount of information on this over the past 15 years and basically DHT is still needed for very important bodily functions. Blocking DHT on the scalp only is totally the way to go in my opinion and experience. This way the natural balance of DHT to T is not disturbed.

• 7 years later...