23 years old and losing hair - request for advice -pics included

First of all, this is really excellent forum you have hear. I have learnt a lot just lurking.

Secondly I would like to request yor advice over hair loss and the viability of transplant. Im 23 but will be 24 before I could afford one anyway.

after a period of denial, i noticed definite hair losss about a year and a half ago, but looking back at old pics its been going on since I was 19 possibly longer.

Here is a pic. Any attempt to estimate the number grafts i might be looking at would be appreciated.

hair.jpg.edaf40f2d6daf484e6d1c841c87214e0.jpg

I would say about 2000 grafts.

Please start on minoxidil and finasteride as soon as possible (if you are not already on it) and look for negative side effects.

Please take you time to review all the information and pros/cons of hair transplant surgery.

I am not a medical professional and you should consult one for a bona fide opinion.

Other posters will give their opinions

take care...

bereft, your account name is one of the BEST I have ever seen icon_biggrin.gif

I think you should wait it out a bit....and do some more research.

You need all frontal restoration at 23---who knows what your loss will be in 3-4 years?

Take Care,

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Thanks for your responses. I'm glad you like my name icon_smile.gif.

Yeah the idea of waiting 3-4 years seems to tally with what i've read elsewhere. But, rationally or otherwise, I really don't feel like putting it off that long. I'm sure you've seen a million like me in this respect.

What do you reckon my first port of call should be. My GP?

bereft, I would skip the GP & get a consultation with a Hair transplant surgeon either in person or online.

It's usually no cost for a consult from A HT Dr. but your GP will probably charge you.

Try one of the great Doctors from this network.

Good luck pal.

I agree, I'd skip the GP. Also, FWIW, I'd say you'd want ~3k, but a doctor could likely make a much more informed decision on that. Don't know where you live, but do some consults (online or live, depending). Look into Shapiro/SMG, Rahal, Hasson+Wong, Feller on this forum -- they have high publicity and transparency so you'll have the goods to sift through....then get in touch and consult with a few. Take it from there.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

See the thing is, at your age we would have to keep the hairline a bit high---you would realize a nice cosmetic benefit for sure, especially given your hair style.

I would say that giving you a nice frontal forelock right where your part your hair to add density, then conservatively go forward a bit--maybe 1400-1600 grafts as a conservative estimate---others have mentioned 2000---I would say that would be the max.

Because you part your hair down the middle it will harshly expose any thin areas, so we would have to give you some nice density there first and foremost.

I think you need to wait---if you do go forward, you should look seriously at only doing FUE because we just do not know what will happen with your loss going forward.

I am 100% sure that if you do one HT, you will need at least one more in your lifetime, regardless of method used.

Anyway, good luck going forward!

Take Care,

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

bereft,

Welcome to our community. It's nice to see lurkers join and post :-)

I agree - consider giving Propecia and Rogaine a try for a year and see if it helps you. In the meantime, continue researching hair transplant surgery and consult with a few leading doctors that impress you the most to work out a long term hair restoration plan.

All the Best,

Bill

bro, not offending you in anyway, but i think getting a haircut would help. My hair was pretty long (not as long as yours) but I had it in a pony tail. my frontal was receding, temples receding, and thinning, but ironically the long hair made my forehead look larger than it really was. when i cut my hair short, i styled it so that it was standing up in the front and faded on the sides. it actually looked a lot nicer and went with my receded hairline and better framed my face.

most likely you'll cut your hair for a transplant anyway, so mind as well give what im suggesting a try. you'll see what a difference it makes. and i fully agree to jump on the meds right away. you'll be on them after a hair transplant anyway, so mind as well start now.

hey all , is my first post here , im 25 years old and im tired just cuz my hair is fall out , well i still have hair in back , but i loose this say to many haur in hairline and corners , im doing rogaine sionce 3 months is not help , any way im thiking for hairtransplate in futur , any advise plz?

ps : sorry about my english

Hopee, start a thread of your own to get the most replies possible.

Jewfro, Your in the toughest stage of hairloss, TRUST ME I WAS THERE, not as advanced but i was. Being young and told to hold off on an insecurity that can be "fixed" is a tough thing to do, trust me i know. I noticed at around 21-22 i was losing my hair and i waited as long as i can and got an ht at 25yo and 11 months...haha I know it sucks but u have an aggresive pattern of loss, take your time and do your research... You are so lucky to have found this site... a wealth of info here....

Edit.. OH YEAH GET ON MEDS TO HALT OR SLOW THE PROCESS... Dont expect miracles but they do work, trust me

You only live once...

Cheers dude. I will see about getting on the meds in the next couple of weeks.

To be honest i wouldnt be that bothered about a conservative hairline. I have always had a big forehead.

I see what your saying about it being aggressive. But the current situation has also been along time in the making. This is me a little over 3 years ago.

hair4.jpg.f59190b169bd90682404c8b134cffcf1.jpg

I had an HT at 22 and I didnt need it at all, and my result was far from good.Take some advise from these guys on here and dont rush into anything, rogaine and finasteride have a good track record. Try those for a year then post again.

Rushing into anything could really mess stuff up.

bereft,you have an excellent outlook and agood sense of humor .listen to these posters they really know just about everything there is to about hair loss.you are still young and with you proper outlook iknow whatever path you chose you will be fine .good luck

I would start with getting on meds for a year and a makeover before going the ht route. the hairstyle with that type of loss is making you look a bit "gallagher-esque." trim the locks, and get some cool clothes (lose the tie-die shirt).

keep in mind a ht will cost you upwards of $10,000 and will require future surgeries.

if you're still unhappy start contacting some top docs, i.e, feller, h&w, shapiro and do plenty of research on these forums first. best of luck!

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Meds/Rogaine only - to early for you to go down the path of a HT. Enjoy the hair you have and the time you have with it. A HT will take almost a year to feel "right" - fagetaboutit.

Dec. 2004 - 1938 Grafts via Strip

Feb. 2009 - 1002 Grafts via FUE