Who knows about your HT?

I'm due in January for a transplant and i've decided not to tell anyone, at all. Best way, also have started wearing a hat more often so it does not look to a miss.

--------------------------------------

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Feller

Dr Feller Jan '09 2000 grafts

Dr Lorenzo Dec '15 2222 grafts

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I told only a select few. But a few people guessed that I did something since I clearly had a lot more hair than I used to.

My guess is, some very observant people in your life will notice even if you don't tell them. If they don't confrront you, most likely they will express their thoughts to others.

Therefore if you are comfortable with peopple knowing, you may want to tell people. Otherwise, other people will just be guessing icon_smile.gif

Bill

Hi guys,

I did tell my family and some relatives about it, although I had the opportunity to hide it. I was not working at the time and had enough time to go for months on holiday. Nobody would suspect something because I often go to Turkey to spend my holiday.

I did not have any problems telling people about it. However a few times it was pretty awkward, while I don't care family knowing about it, not everyone should know it. A few weeks ago my mother just told it to relatives that did not know about it in front of me, and I felt a bit uncomfortable.

I think the thing is that people who have not had hairtransplant are not aware that it is a big deal to us. So the only person that can tell other people that they had a HT should be the patient self.

The more people you tell about, the less control you have to decide people to know about your HT.

It seems to me like this is a personal decision where each person has to find what is right for them. If you tell people then the secret is out so I guess you should think about that first. I think there is a factor of timing as well. If you are pre-op or in the "ugly duckling" phase you may be less comfortable than when you start seeing good results. Some of the videos & comments I have seen where guys are happy for others to know seem like the best place to be. You are comfortable with what has happened and not afraid to show others that you are comfortable with it. On the other hand it is quite a personal thing so there is nothing wrong with not wanting every Tom, Dick and Harry knowing about it.

Like others have said, once you let it out of the Vault, the vault doors can never be closed again..

My personal opinion, keep it secret and do your best to hide it. Once the scar is hidden and your new hair starts to grow they will just be jealous of all your hair!

-Trimox

My Hair Loss Weblog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Victor Hasson

• 2 weeks later...

It's intriguing to see how my own feelings on the subject have "evolved" since my first HT. Being self-conscious anyway, after procedure #1, I was a little nervous about wearing the hat, fielding questions, looking odd, but what I found was that everyone who learned about it (not exactly top secret) was either curious, supportive, or both.

By the second procedure, I didn't bother with the hat...in part because I had enough original hair left unshaved to cover a bit, in larger part because I basically didn't care!

If anything, I'm glad if people know, if only to help dispel assumptions about "plugs." The irony of skillfully executed modern hair transplants is that, unless you see someone in the early growth stages and know what to look for, or specifically ask, the transplant is pretty much invisible!

Benjamin

• 4 weeks later...

This is an interesting question and is one that I have struggled with a bit. in Jan 08 I had my first HT and have had tremendous growth results since then. Please see my blog at http://www.hairtransplantnetwo...e-page.asp?WebID=590

It's both gratifying to me in terms of meeting and exceeding expectations, and yet, difficult to hide from co-workers and my staff, several who know me for 3+ years and see me on a daily basis. So one can imagine comments ranging from 'nice hair cut' to 'we're did you get that hair from?!'

I just smile and tell them, "I've stopped getting buzz cuts and am letting my hair grow!" No one needs to know the details.

i couldnt keep this a secret from my wife and kids, my sister and parents. but i did let them know it was private and i didnt want it blabbed to the extended family so i had them swear to secrecy first!

Lol, some of us here have learned some things the hard way.

When we first undertake to improve ourselves we think that those closest to us should share in the joy of us taking risks. Truthfully, we fine out, it rarely works out that way.

Yes, or parents love us desperately and would never betray us, but sisters and friends are another story. Inevitably, they tell THEIR spouses or friends.

Then your circle, whatever it is, knows.

In the end though, im a strong confident guy (i dont mean im arrogant just that i own my decisions) and I see changing my circumstances as a part of life for any strong guy.

In retrospect i wouldnt tell ANYONE but if anyone asks now, i act like any reasonable intelligent person would improve themselves like i did and act like im proud of myself.

Trust me, no insecure little sadistic weasel (the gossipers youre talking about) will have the slightest interest in bothering you after that.

You've looked them in the eye and proven you're a better person and that theyre a sniveling little twit.

...as for random strangers who boldly might ask "did you have some work done" (this has happened to me a couple times) I like to play dumb and ask "WHY, did YOU have some done? Is that why you seem to know so much about it"?

They scurry away like little rats.

hardcore long-term veteran of hack plug doctors to ultra refined coalition doctors.

knowledgeable about show business hair transplants

• 3 weeks later...

I am 1 week away from my HT and I have told only my wife, brother, inlaws, and a friend who will be covering my business.

However I ?play on a hockey team twice a week with my buddies and dont know what to tell themas I will be missing the next 2-3 months?

I also have an assistant ( im a realtor ) she works in the same office as me 20 hours a week. ??

Will it not be obvious to my assistant when i am wearing hats all the time to cover my shaved head?

Wont my buddies wonder why Im not playing anymore? Might they not notice a scar on my head if I return after the surgery? The guys shower after the game... im not sure what it will look like wet and up close ?

My wife thinks I should be honest with people and tell them. At this stage I dont know what to do! Its a hard thing to talk about and I have a hard time being honest about it for some reason.

Will people not notice that the guy who was blading pretty bad before, has a straight hair line and a hair style in a years time??

Feedback please..

Cheers

One nervous guy!!

Canadian_buba

3500 Grafts

Dr. Rahal

Jan 12 09

My Hair Loss WebLog

canadian_bubba, I personally told no one about my HT, and am thankful I did'nt!! No one ever said one thing , and probably could have cared less that I wore a hat for 4 months. You really leave yourself open to unwanted ridicule and ignorance about something like hair transplantation that most know nothing about, but will certainly pass around that you had an HT.

I concur with the above, and how ever can you explain not playing hockey....invent an injury! your mates aren't going to make you do a physical, and people are not that observant. What is the injury that most hockey players suffer from? shoulder?

Not one single person other than my doctor know about mine ..

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

I was thinking of going with a neck strain if the guys I play soccer with asked me why I haven't been showing up. It isn't an organised team match thing though just a weekly game of buddies.

There is also an element of truth to the neck strain due to the laxity being taken out and it probably being a good idea post-op to avoid sudden and excessive movements that could be caused through sports. Some guys may say it is no problem a few weeks post-op but who wants to take the risk of the scar stretching? Also I saw elsewhere on the site that the laxity doesn't properly return until 6 months post-op and is unlikely to be fully what it was previously.

Well, admittedly I'm a little closer to the guys at my work than most people (military), but I'm telling pretty much everyone about it. Mine will be pretty obvious anyway.

Not one person yet has said anything negative. Mostly I get guys asking me how to research it for themselves.

It's still a personal decision though, so if you don't want people to know than don't tell anyone. That will come with some hiding/fibbing.

I'm telling pretty much everyone about it. Mine will be pretty obvious anyway.

Not one person yet has said anything negative.

Tree Hugger - Thanks for sharing, I'm glad to hear you've had positive reaction so far. I may choose to be more open once the shock loss has worn off so it is good to hear your situation.

I think it's really brave and strong of people to tell others and be totally open about it, and i guess those people are also doing a good thing for the transplant industry, well, if they go to a top doc and not bosely!

canadian_buba, I don't think your keeping a secret one bit, but instead are just using discretion! A secret has a negative conotation or something wrong you're doing and don't want others to find out about. Two entirely different things. Someone going to the gym daily that looks great doesn't walk up to people and say: Hey, I sweat and diet hard and drink tons of water to look this good. Not a chance! They want you to think it's all natural! Good luck!

I'm in the same boat as Mr. Jobi. Not one single person knows except doc and staff know about mine and I'm more comfortable keeping it that way. Just had my second HT with Dr. Alexander on 11/19 to complete the top (crown is still strong). The front 1/3 was done a year ago and if the top comes in as nicely as the front 1/3 did (I'm confident it will) then I'm going to be a SUPER HAPPY man in about 4-5 more months. Both the frontal 1/3 and top had a fair amount of native hair and Toppik really helped with illusion of more hair. The process has been nice and gradual and I've had people say "you're looking good" but there's not a process of going from no hair to hair so I think that's made it an easier process to conceal. Also chose not shaving down which is obviously another important factor in no one knowing. Another MAJOR factor is that I've been single for the past 1 1/2 years. I don't think it would have all that easy to keep it a secret had I still been with my girlfriend icon_smile.gif.

I do comend those that have chosen to be open about their process. I think those that are completely open about it are probably a little more extrovert in thier personalities.

Best whished to you Canadian on you upcoming future of a nice mop.

its 752 and flyby

Thanks for your comments. I now feel very comfortable in keeping my HT between myself and the few people who know. The only thing is Rahal will be shavin the front 1/3 so I will be wearing a hat for the next few (3-5) months, which I was going to do anyways! Thanks again!

Cheers

Canadian_buba

3500 Grafts

Dr. Rahal

Jan 12 09

My Hair Loss WebLog