Generic Propecia????

HK500

I keep hearing from time to time about the availability of the generic form of Propecia, I see it on the web, waaaaay cheaper, of course. Has the patent expired, is it real or ist it just bogus?

Also, any news regarding people taking Avodart and Proscar (cut 4 ways) as to long term effectiveness

vs. Propecia? I have read most of the older blogs, I was wondering if there is any newer research.

I'm not sure about your first question. As for the second...............since Proscar and Propecia are both Finasteride effectiveness should be the same. I've quartered Proscar for 9 months and have experienced mild regrowth along the hairline.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Thanks hairbank, I am thinking of switching to Proscar once my Propecia runs out, I might also go to one every other day but gradually, any recos on how to best do this?

Has the patent run out on Propecia? Typically when this occurs you can buy the generic form.

HK,

Not sure about the patent on Propecia but I thought you could but it generic already? Maybe someone else can help me out on this?

I do know that generic Proscar is available because I buy it at Walmart's Pharmacy...........30 pills for around $78.

Hope this helps,

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Thank you all, that's very helpful. I heard about the Indian labs producing it but I do not trust their products, it would be nice to get a US lab to analyse a sample. A patent is worldwide, whether it's made in China, Taiwan or India ..... How can they get away with this without legal consequences? India trades with the US, it should be enforceable.

• 1 month later...

It's obvious that meds caused you problems, studentjay, after reading all your posts (cutting people down, causing problems, etc.). However, I'm sure the meds weren't the ones being discussed here. Whatever the meds were, they put tweety birds in your head.

Kamin, my poor misguided friend. Your choice of icon is appropriate. Your habitual use of recreational drugs obviously has taken it toll on you. Was it perhaps prescribed by one of your hair transplant doctors in lieu of propecia, no doubt a cutting edge DHT suppressant.

Originally posted by Bill:

Kamin,

No wonder this guy is going bonkers...you are following him like a hound insulting him everywhere he goes. Give it a rest :P

Bill

What can I say? The guy needed a dose of his own medicine.

I didn't think that there was a generic out yet but I could be wrong. JohnS do you know the name of it??

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Hi guys. I've been taking generic Proscar for about 6 months now. The label on the prescription simply says "Finasteride 5MG TAB Generic for> PROSCAR 5 MG TAB QTY 30". The prescription plan from my insurance company automatically swithches you over to generics once they become available. I pay $10.00 for 30 tabs and then cut them into quarters which gives me 120 doses. Hope this helps.

Thank you, I think many of us are aware by now that you can get generic Proscar.

Can any one shed light on the generic Propecia situation? I heard the Patent expired in 2011 and then recently someone posted a link to a Yahoo board where the comments indicated that the Patent expired in June 2006 ... Which is it?

Am i wrong, or are Propecia and Proscar the same thing in different dosages? Isn't Proscar just Finasteride in a 5MG tab and Propecia is Finasteride in a 1MG tab?

I just got a script for proscar (generic OK) and got Finasteride 5MG tabs (little blue pills with two triangles on one side and "5825" on the other).

I wanted to verify that my pharmacy didn't screw this up and give me 1MG tabs - because they are round and the same size as my Propecia pills.

Anyone else get these same tabs?

Also - I ordered generic propecia from www.aclepsa.com and they never arrived...$80 down the toilet. I won't buy any generic stuff from overseas again.

Reverse the curse,

I would not be worrried about the size of the pill. A 1 mg propecia is not pure finasteride, it would contain inert ingredients to make the pill large enough to handle and easy to swallow. Their is always some filler material within most pills anyway.

I now use proscar 5mg and get them at CVS for $20 on my prescription plan. I get 20 pills and cut into fourths for 80 doses or $.25 per day. I personally would not risk any over the internet or overseas deals.

NoBuzz