Mr Shahmalak & Crown Clinic, Manchester UK (?)

CAMPBELL

Hello, my name is Campbell and I'm based in the UK. I've been researching a surgeon in Bruselles, and two in Manchester, Uk (Dr Farjo and Mr Shahmalak).

It's been determined I need 5000 grafts over two sessions (with approx 4-6 month gap). Strip surgery. I'm a horse-shoe shape that a National hunt race horse would be proud of!!

I've been for an initial meeting with Mr Shahmalek in Harley St, London (who is also a practising NHS surgeon in NW England), has his clinic CROWNCLINIC in Manchester and has been a guest speaker on a number of occasions with the IHRS, of which he is a member).

I'm very close to making a decision (I cannot afford the visits to the US, so am looking closer to home).

Has anyone here had any direct experience with Mr Shahmalek and any feedback to give please, as I really want to get this one right.

Thanks in advance Gents, Regards, Campbell.

Hey Campbell,

If you have to stay in the UK, I'd go with the Farjo's.

Have you compared the prices between the USA and the options that are closer to home?

When I was researching for my transplant, it was cheaper to travel to the USA or Canada for a transplant than it was to visit a clinic closer to home - even after travel and accommodation costs. Some clinics will also pay for your hotel and a large percentage of the flight costs.

But yeah, if you decide to stay in the UK - I'd stick to the Farjo's.

P.S. also, a clinic over the water will be to do the 5000 grafts in 1 session, which I'm sure will save you a lot.

Thanks Gents for your timely feedback icon_smile.gif I've been in contact with Dr Feller and H&W too a few month's ago (having been a passive spectator in here and found endless amounts of really useful information).

Even with the current economy and the UK Pound to Dollar relationship, the USA is 'still' (sadly) out of my pocket reach, for now. And that's why I'm looking at UK or 'this side' of Europe.

I was very impressed by Mr Shahmalak when I had a consultation with him, and my hair is dark and dense where I do have it, so I seem to be a good candidate for HT. But for my own peace of mind, I wanted to find out 'more' about his procedures and their outcomes from client's who have already been through his doors. And it is slightly worrying that no-one has heard of him now...

Maybe with time, some folk will read this and come through icon_smile.gif

Thanks guys. Campbell.

This is not necessarily true due to the fact that very FEW patients actually have 5000 grafts available in one session due to their own individual donor density / laxity. Classic example of this is "Tubs" who only wanted one session and wanted as many grafts as possible (4500+ ideally) in one session. He could only SAFELY have 3500+ grafts removed without hindering further sessions or causing excessive scaring. Sometimes it's just NOT physically possible to hit 4500+ in one session based on the individuals own variables - not safely anyway.

Yeah, sorry Campbell. I was just assuming that due to your virgin scalp and the fact that the other 2 clinics estimated 5000 grafts in 2 sessions all would be fine.

It is not guaranteed a clinic abroad will be able to do the 5000 grafts in one session due to issues Spex has pointed out, however, there is a good chance (where as a clinic in the UK hasn't attempted a session of that size, atleast they haven't yet to my knowledge but the Farjos' have came close).

Well, I'm giving the guy the benefit of the doubt on that one (I know where you're coming from - as it is gimmicky/cheesey, ie: For One Night Only!!! etc).

But if he is just relatively new to the HT scene and with the economy is such dire straits, I'm assuming (rightly or wrongly) that he's having to build up his initial client base somehow, until his reputation in HT is established. It's a difficult one...

Then again, I might be very naive on this and totally off the mark, hence the reasons why I'm reaching out to the more experienced client base and professionals on this forum.

If I was you I would research alot longer before coming to any conclusions because their are extremes in the results of HT and the U.K has a well earned reputation for bad HT apart from 1 clinic already mentioned.You are correct in saying every doc must build a portfolio of work and get their reputation (good or bad) but why "risk" it if you can get a doc with a good reputation and proven work where the odds are then in your favour.Personally I dont care how nice and polite a doc is because that dosent mean a good result and there is no recourse after it is done.Online reputation is everything these days.If it is about money you should wait until its not a problem.

HT 2006/7

Well, you can find the costings by approaching each surgeon for your own individual needs.

In my own personal case, based on strip surgery, and based on 5000 grafts over two sessions:

Dr's Farjo, I believe (Mick is to confirm this with me) would be around ??14,000 GBP in total.

Dr Devroye, around ??10,760 (I'm converting from Euros).

Dr Shahmalak would be ??8000.

But, as this site has shown, it's not a good deal if you end up with a hatchett job, so thorough research is a 'must.' Just like a dog isn't just for Xmas, well neither is a hair transplant! So the jury's still out on this one.

Hi there i have a proceedure with Mr shahmalak in 2008, but he was working on behalf of transform. The reuslts were very poor. thick scaring and not much growth in grafted areas. i had to go to another clinic last month,to have the scar reopend and closed correctly and more hair transplants. My results second time round so far are much better. im still witing for hair to grow but scar is alot less noticable. Mr Shahmalak is only intrested in your mo beacause when i went back to him regarding my concerns he told me my scar looked good, even though everyone else, including the actuall clinic said it looked awfull. Please dont use him. if you wish to have your HT done in london use nuhart, Dr wolf. thats who i used second time round and i am so far much more satisfied.

all the best for the future

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Rokkstarr,

Dr. Shahmalak is pretty much unknown on this forum, it would be good to see an example of his work if you wouldn't mind posting some photos and information from your transplant.

The results on his page are not impressive. I would avoid this doctor. You do not want to take a risk on HT surgery. You're better off waiting longer, saving up more money and going with a clinic that has an outstanding reputation and proven results. Best of luck.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Rokkstar,

Do you care to tell me why you and another forum member "xxavier719" share the same IP address? You both happened to join on December 1st and share glowing reviews about this doctor on the same day? See this thread for the post by xxavier719.

I'll expect a viable explanation in the next 24 hours or I will assume you're both the same poster and conjuring fictitious experiences to promote Dr. Shahmalak. Thus, your post will be removed, as will your forum account.

Bill

It's disappointing to hear a lot of this, but at least it's giving me a more balanced view to make an informed decision. HT ops are not to be messed around with are they! or taken lightly. Thanks Gents for all the feedback and making the effort to get back. It's a great site! Cheers, Campbell.

Oh dear, this just goes to show how carefully you have to research these things in the UK.Campbell have you posted any online pictures of your situ for the forum to see? Before you consider booking with any surgeon i would strongly recommend seeing some of their patients in the flesh first.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson