Best doctor for reconstructing hairline !

My view on these type "which doctor" threads is this. If I were a newbie looking for info, would I be beter served by listening responses from other posters who have either had just one HT or in some cases never had one (sorry NG2GB)?? By eliminating the experienced guys like BSpot or Spex or Jotronic on these threads, that newbie is at a disadvantage in my view.

I have had 3 HTs and a 4th in the old plug days (I dont count that one as it was in the dark ages), and I cannot hold a candle to those guys mentioned and their respective knowledge of HT techniques. I would suggest that you let them all post as long as they don't bash other doctors/clinics, surely they have the ability to PM the newbie as well, but I enjoy reading what these wise ones have to say. When it is all said and done, it will always fall on he patient to make the decision. I think it is best they get all the input they can.

Bill, when you make posts that say: "we don't understand", that insults the our intelligence. I think that turns people off and if it continues you will be left with a lot less veterans helping out here. JMO

NoBuzz

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you to everyone for their support. It means a lot.

I look forward to the day when the membership (aka--the fellow sufferers) are allowed to monitor the posts of each other.

Remember not so long ago when Bill, Hairbank, Gorpy, NN, MrJB (and others) and myself moderated this site and defended it against all comers?

We ALL step over the line from time to time, I am just as guilty as the next guy, but my fellow balding brethern always set me straight (Bill included).

Food for thought.

Dr. Shapiro doesn't want every patient folks. He wants EVERY patient to make good, informed choices and he allows me to try and help patients find the BEST docs for them, even at the expense of paying me to talk to patients about other doctors.

JoDirt-- sorry you felt that way during your research, but when people come here asking questions it is imperative that they at the very least consult with clinics that have a proven track record of success. Dr. Siporin is a fine doctor, but is relatively new to this forum. That could account for some of the hesitation members had recommending him. Either way, glad to see you have had a postive experience--I'll file that away in my memory banks.

Take Care,

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Nobuzz,

Bill, when you make posts that say: "we don't understand", that insults the our intelligence

Why are you misquoting me? Please find and point out in this thread where I said that.

I did a search for the word "understand" in this thread and the only times I used that word was in the following sentences:

"I trust my above explanation has helped you understand a bit where I am coming from."

"I really do understand what you all are saying and do appreciate your input"

Regardless, I never meant to insult anyone's intelligence.

Bill

Jason,

Well said. You are a well respected member of this community and always have been as far as I'm concerned. You and I both "grew up" together on this site and I have nothing but respect for you.

I hope you understand that my decision in regards to this matter is NOT to step on you or anyone in any way. It's about trying to maintain a delicate balance that is fair for all. I also left you a phone message and would love to talk to you more about this.

Everyone

The "which doctor is best" type threads are only a fraction of the threads on this forum. I am only asking that physicians and consultants restrain themselves from addressing these particular posts and leave it to patient members and the moderators (Pat and myself) to keep things fair.

Yes, I am in a different position now as well, but as the moderator, I try to keep things fair and not entirely one sided. I hope you can all respect that there is no PERFECT way to do this and I'm trying my best to keep this forum a patient driven community.

I appreciate your understanding,

Bill

Originally posted by Bill:

Everyone,

You are missing the point and this is NOT personal.

Bill, didn't mean to misquote you, this is the reply I was referring to. By saying we are missing the point it is very close to the same as saying we don't understand. I think most of us do understand the point and think your wrong on this issue. But it is your call, that is all.

NoBuzz

Dear forum members,

After talking with with Jason (B Spot), Pat, and listening to the voice of this patient community (all of you I have great respect for), I have decided to revoke this rule on the condition that posts made by clinics on these types of threads are not blatantly promotional. Nobody was blatantly promotional on this thread.

This is an open discussion forum and I do not want it bogged down with strict rules and regulations.

Thank you all for the challenge and sharing your honest input.

Onwards and Upwards,

Bill

Bill,

I am glad you and Pat have decided to lift this rule, we all can benefit from the experienced posters I listed who have clinic affiliation.

I trust those paid posters will not take advantage of this and will not partake in Doctor bashing (let us unpaid guys do that, lol).

You have a big responsibilty and we appreciate your position. Lets keep it fun and informative and move on to helping patients.

NoBuzz

You know, NoBuzz, that's an interesting point - and one I meant to bring up a few weeks back.

Just some advice for clinics (and salespeople in general). When I was calling around I had much more respect for those docs and 'reps' who didn't criticize other outfits. I felt like I had researched some great clinics, and then to have someone make some disparaging remarks towards them, was like a slap at me as well.

I do think this will manage itself in the long run. I suppose the moderator has to think about that newbe who makes an appointment after a day on here. And I'm sure there are some. When I get to the point of thinking about this, I can't wait three weeks either.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Quote:

..."would I be beter served by listening to responses from other posters who have either had just one HT or in some cases never had one (sorry NG2GB)??"...Nobuzz4me

yes it is true. some of you have had so much hair trafficked on your head you are the Escabar's of the balding biz; scalps have been trained, limbered, and stretched that you would put the most agile, petite, seasoned yoga instructor in a state of catotonic shock; gallons of blood have been shed, scars placed upon scars; the battle field of your barren balding scalps makes the Middle East look tranquil...

Well, Im off to get 4 strips and 5 FUE procedures so my opinion can carry some serious weight around here. icon_mad.gif

Personally, no offense to anyone, but I think

the question "who is the best doc," is simply ridiculous anyway.

The answer is not capable of having a truth value.

It's like asking:

what's the best car?

what's the bestest pin number for my ATM card?

whose the most luscious baby worthy of spoiling absolutely rotten?---Oops, Jessica Alba answers that one.

If anyone asks a question like that then they should know they are going to get a host of responses from a host of characters.

Usually when someone asks a question like that it is because they don't want to take the time to go through the photo albums, read old threads, and just search the forum

BECAUSE they want to rush out and get a ht TONIGHT...

No one's hair falls out that fast.

How many years were they living with the problem before they considered a ht?

JoDirt,

I think the reason why many people were very PASSIONATE in responding to you initially was because you stated that you liked your doc even though you had never heard of him just because he was the same ethnicity as you. Siporin may very well be an excellent doc, but I simply haven't seen THAT many pics of his work on here. This is my head and Im not taking any chances. Just as Nobuzz rightfully pointed out that for him people's opinion who have had multiple procedures and results from a given doc carries more weight than a baby virgin scalp like myself who hasn't popped his follicular cherry yet.

For me, the only docs I consider are ones who have COUNTLESS consistent results on an open forum like this one.

I can see some valid points regarding a conflict of interest if a paid employee ONLY points to his doc alone.

But I must add, that is not what Bspot was doing. He pointed out several docs that he thought were world class.

But, that withstanding, isn't that what were all here for? To ask ex patients if they were happy with their ht? If they are then their going to tell you their doc is great, go to him.

Quote:

..."I am an actor by profession and dont wanna take any chances."

---Mav

Mav, are you Dr. Phil?

Oh, and to answer the original question:

Dr. Hasson is the bestest doc in the world.

Bill,

I commend you for altering the rule. It takes a big person to address members, listen and follow thru with their wishes.

I truly believe that this is the best thing for the forum. Could it be abused? Certainly. If that be the case than those situations should be dealt with accordingly. As Nobuzz stated, we need to hear from those that are more educated than most of us members. I trust that many of the members are bright enough to make an informed decision. I hope that it actually will make other clinics take note and make efforts to be a little more present on this forum. They have the right to do so and I believe that they are doing themselves a disservice by not posting.

No doubt there needs to be rules. However, I for one think that it is in the best interest of the forum to allow more "free reign." Some of it is silly, comical and full of nonsense at times, but oh well. I personally need a little mix from time to time to keep my interest here. If everytime I log on I see the same old question of "my grafts have shed after 8 days--have they died?", I will quickly get bored and frustrated and be moving on. Even the 10 rounder between Aquirius and NG2GB the other day had me in stitches. Is this stuff appropriate for the forum--ofcourse not, but man was it humurous. In fact I think we need another visit from Grace--we know you enjoyed that Bill. icon_smile.gif

Where is Pat anyway??

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

I have mixed feelings about the whole issue overall. Being one that started out here as a patient HASSON then moving on to work in the business for almost five years now WONG I think that overall having patient driven MEGASESSIONS threads by and for patients DENSE PACKING is still the best way to keep things civil. I mean, I see where Bspot would want to jump NATURAL in and give his two cents worth because many times I INNOVATORS want to do the same but I also see Bill's point of avoiding too much potential sway BEST by any one clinic.

While Janna seem to have a good point VANCOUVER about Bill being a patient of two different clinics I honestly have to ask if she would have asked the HONEST PHOTOS same question back when it was only Pat on this site CONSISTENCY and he is obviously a patient of Dr. Shapiro.

HASSON I think that if Bill wants to open up the threads to each clinic and monitor their activities more closely then WONG that is his perogative. Personally, I will continue to try and stay out of threads asking "who's best" or similar because DENSITY I would rather not be seen as being pushy or dare I say "subliminal" with my words.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

lol @ Jotronic post.... icon_cool.gif

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Umm... I seem to inadvertently caused a minor crisis with my poser.

I guess we are all mature enough to judge when a member is being helpful or when he has interests in pushing for a particular doc surreptitiously. I havent had any reason to believe that any member who tried to help me had but the best intention to help me out. I am in a position to make an informed choice thanks to the various suggestions and am truly thankful to everyone.

As to the absurdity of threads like "who is the best doc " and this is particularly for <span class="ev_code_GREEN">ng2bald</span> all i wanted was suggestions as to which docs are at the moment masters in hairline reconstruction. If someone asks "which is the best car as per acceleration" it wdnt be a stupid q....on the contrary he might get answers which wd help him shortlist his options.

I have indeed researched and been going through posts here over last 4 months. Thanks to this forum i decided against getting my HT done by Dr Rajput even though that wd have been economically and logistically feasible. While i dont wanna say anything negative against Dr Rajput because i personally havent had any weird experience i decided to be cautious and hunt down the best docs around.

Diff members have diff idea of who the best doc wd be according to them and thats what has helped me narrow down my search...the common factor. I value all the suggestions and am thankful to everyone who has helped me.

I wd shortly be uploading snaps of my present hairline. Wd value all the suggestions and the occasional barb !! icon_smile.gif

Joe,

Whether now or long ago when Pat was the sole moderator, and I noticed the same type of post... YES, I would honestly have the same issue with the restriction. Let say someone asks, "who does the best mega sessions" and they say one clinic on his list is h & w, you post a direct answer to help but you are warned you shouldn't answer by Pat - yet he freely gives his input while he posts without any restrictions and he posts just about everywhere with his long signature. I would most definately call him on it.

I understand there's blatant and or subtle (subliminal) solicitations, but most people are smart enough to sift through it and come to their own conclusions. Each post should be judge on its merit and context no matter who posts. Besides, there are enough regular posters who would also call out anyone who gets out of line.

I recall not too long ago when Pat wanted to impose a requirement of having all patients who post their results to include their graft and HAIRCOUNT, I had issues with making it a requirement and called him on it.

Originally posted by Jotronic:

I have mixed feelings about the whole issue overall. Being one that started out here as a patient HASSON then moving on to work in the business for almost five years now WONG I think that overall having patient driven MEGASESSIONS threads by and for patients DENSE PACKING is still the best way to keep things civil. I mean, I see where Bspot would want to jump NATURAL in and give his two cents worth because many times I INNOVATORS want to do the same but I also see Bill's point of avoiding too much potential sway BEST by any one clinic.

While Janna seem to have a good point VANCOUVER about Bill being a patient of two different clinics I honestly have to ask if she would have asked the HONEST PHOTOS same question back when it was only Pat on this site CONSISTENCY and he is obviously a patient of Dr. Shapiro.

HASSON I think that if Bill wants to open up the threads to each clinic and monitor their activities more closely then WONG that is his perogative. Personally, I will continue to try and stay out of threads asking "who's best" or similar because DENSITY I would rather not be seen as being pushy or dare I say "subliminal" with my words.

Joe, I was having trouble following your post so I took the liberty of "descrambling" it ........ (and this is for everyone's benefit)...... "The Cubs will win the World Series this year, and Italian-Americans (like Bspot) are actually the coolest people I have ever met"

icon_biggrin.gif

Seriously though, there was no need to actually comment about any clinic reps b/c there was no restriction AND back in the day, you (Joe), were among the very few people out in the open about working for your clinic--- most clinic reps were, dare I say, "undercover?" icon_wink.gif

These are certainly MUCH better times and a little freedom is par for the course, IMO.

One good thing: the US Dollar to Canadian Dollar exchange rate is almost the same so your .02 cents, is actually worth, well.. A GAZILLION DOLLARS!!!!... (Canadian icon_cool.gif)

Take it easy,

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

The "doctor compare" issue has raised it's head again. It's not suprising since we are all in competition in the final analysis. But we can't let this get the best of us. This thread is already getting a bit heated and that is the last thing any of need. It is also completely unnecessary in my opinion and misses the point.

The issue isn't which DOCTOR is the best; the issue is which WORK is the best and most consistent. The former is very subjective, the latter is much closer to objective. Once you view doctors through this lens the need to compare doctors or worry about bias among doctors and reps diminshes considerably.

Newbies can look at photos of results and immediate post op work and intuatively know which work is best when compared to average or below average work. From there they can track backwards and see which doctors they THINK are the best for THEM.

All docs and reps should just keep posting their work and encouraging their patients to do the same. Nothing but nothing cuts through the noise of information and hype than consistently produced results. It IS a bit of an effort, but one that is well worth it to the clinic, the rep, and most of all the patients.

Dr. Feller

"This thread is already getting a bit heated and that is the last thing any of need. It is also completely unnecessary in my opinion and misses the point." -- Dr. Feller

I thought for the most part the issue is resolved.

All docs and reps should just keep posting their work and encouraging their patients to do the same. Nothing but nothing cuts through the noise of information and hype than consistently produced results. It IS a bit of an effort, but one that is well worth it to the clinic, the rep, and most of all the patients.

I agree wholeheartedly with this statement.

I also have no problem with physician clients offering unbiased information in order to help seeking patient members, as long as it isn't blatantly promotional. After all, you are members of our community and together, with our patient members, help make this community what it is.

An example of blatantly promotional would be any post that screams "LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME"!

I believe those who are shilling will be easily spotted and that we will all work together to call them out.

In the meantime, I agree that this issue is mostly, if not totally resolved.

Bill

Hey all !

Have uploaded my snaps..the state my hairline is at present. These are the snaps i plan to send to the shortlisted docs. Any suggestions as to whether these snaps convey the extent of hairloss?

Mav, you look to be an excellent candidate for some incredible results.

I like Dr. Fellers response. I think everyone here would like to see more before and after pictures from all the Docs and patients. Not all patients want their their pictures online but with the proper concealing of identity I think more would be open to it.

I would be interested to know the site stats for page visits. I would imagine that while before/after pictures pages may not produce the most responses I'll bet they produce the most hits. Seeing great results of all different NW's types, hair styles, hairline designs etc. is really comforting for people looking into HT's.

I skimmed through this post. The best thing for a newbie is to visit a lot of clinics. I started looking for good work back in 1985, and visited about 4 clinics in Southern California, from Anaheim, Torrance, Newport Beach and Tustin.

Later I moved to the San Francisco bay area and visited clinics in the city, Palo Alto, Foster City and other bay area locations.

I watched procedures done at the Elliot & True offices, and interviewed a doctor with the Bosley group too. Then I spread out my search cross-country when I did some business travel. I had some extra flight credits, and liked the pictures I'd seen on-line of Ron Shapiro's work, and decided to visit his clinic near Minneapolis. That's where I had my 2236 f/u grafts done finally.

Spent about $9,000 dollars, and have been very happy. It's natural looking work. Not extensive enough for me to look "18" again, and it still seems to be thinning evenly and naturally in other places, especially near the crown. But we do this work to begin to reverse the clock on our appearance, and have "well groomed" mature hairlines, and not to look un-naturally young.

There are great consultants in all the offices (and on this web site), but an informed decision can only be made by visiting, listening, and finally breaking down and having some work done. I read horror stories, and have seen a few sitting in doctors offices. But I did enough research, sat through enough consults that when I made the move I felt very good. Janna (from this posting) was the lead technician for the team that did my procedure, and a guy by the name of "Matt Zupan" did my consult, with Ron Shapiro stepping in for a few minutes to visit after we talked. I didn't know what their credentials were, nor care. I did enough research, and enough consults on the front end that I knew what to look for. That's what your newbies need to do. Listen to everybody, even the clinic employees, and go look, and look, and look and look........

jf

jf

I've added a picture of me with son about 17 months after Ron Shapiro did my work. Looks good, natural, doesn't it. No one has ever known that I had it done... except my last girlfriend, and that was because I told her. Very natural

Jonathan_my_son_and__me.JPG.9b02bcfd114523ae1fbc07623d1bd7a1.JPG

Thanks flyby,jjmfe...

I have been consulting the various docs i had on my shortlist...a long agonizing process but when i realize the results....!! icon_smile.gif

Apart from the docs i had on my initial shortlist- H&W,Feller,Rahal,Shapiro and Alexander I have also gone onto consult Dr Keene,Tykocinski and Damkerng Pathomvanich.

Having checked out various before-after snaps and taking in consideration comfort factor and also financial logistics(icon_eek.gif ) i was leaning towards Dr Rahal but unfortunately am yet to hear from him.

Dr Keene personally sent me a mail patiently explaining the procedure and clearing the doubts that i had and well... who dsnt like personal attention from their surgeon !! What are the forum members' views reg her and her mastery over hairlines?

Also i was wondering if 25-40 grafts per sq cm wd provide me with an aggressive hairline- dense packed?

Btw is there any recent update on Dr Pathomvanich and his work?

I have uploaded my present state hair pics on my blog as also at the Hair Transplant Patient Photo Albums section on this forum.

Bill i mistakenly posted my album on the surgeon review section before i realized the goof up. cant i delete the album from that section once its been posted?

Do keep the suggestions and help coming in guys...helps the resolve !! icon_smile.gif