Dr. Mark Distefano (worcester, mass)

mrkneed

mrkneed,

Don't let distance/travel determine who you use. I am from RI but went to Vancouver to get my 2nd procedure done. I used Leonard for my first before I found this site.

Your best bet would be to utilize a coalition doc.

Good luck.

Why risk it ?

Use a coalition surgeon

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, I'm in Mass. as well and I've heard all the radio ads for Drs. DiStefano and Leonard, and visited their web sites. I also asked my dermatologist for a recommendation for a hair transplant surgeon, and he gave me the name of someone he knows who does them, who's in Westborough. However, when I posted that doctor's name here a while back to see if anyone knew him, no one did. Also, upon doing further research, the American Hair Loss web site (http://www.americanhairloss.org) actually recommends AGAINST going to your family doctor or dermatologist for a referral to a hair transplant surgeon, unless they themselves have personal experience with that surgeon.

One thing that I got very early on coming here, was that there's really no one in New England with a good reputation for hair transplantation. The good thing about our location is, right "down the way" in the New York area there are some very highly regarded h/t surgeons. Do a search here and you'll see their names: Dr. Robert Bernstein, Dr. Alan Feller, Dr. Jeffrey Epstein, and Drs. Robert True and Robert Dorin (in practice together, and they have a consultation office in Copley Square/Boston). There are those on this board who'd say, if you're really serious, you should consider travel even farther afoot, like Hasson & Wong in Vancouver, who also have excellent reputations.

I haven't had a hair transplant (yet), and depending on how things go and how I come to terms with my hair loss, may or may not have one. My hair loss (receding temporal and front hairline) is fairly easily camouflaged at this point, plus I am on Propecia. You can bet, however, that should I come to the decision to get a transplant, that I'm going to do it right the first time and spend the $$$ to go to a great h/t doctor, no matter their location. Running the risk of getting a botched-up, second-rate hair transplant that you'll just have to spend more money on later to have fixed is not worth your time, your money, your scalp or your finite donor supply of hair.

Good luck!

• Administrators

I have reservations regarding Dr. Mark Distefano due to his continued use of a multi bladed knife for removing the donor tissue.

While this tool makes the process of separating the donor tissue into grafts quicker and easier, multi bladed knives have long since been discontinued by leading hair transplant clinics in order to minimize the transection and loss of a patients precious limited donor tissue. Leading clinic prefer to remove the donor strip using a single blade, while carefully controlling the angle and depth of the incision to minimize transecting (severing) the follicles along the cutting edge. The strip is then carefully slivered (sectioned) into smaller narrow strips under the microscopes to avoid transection.

Thus while a patient may get impressive results from a surgery done using multi bladed removal, they will not know how many of their limited donor follicles were sacrificed during the surgery.

I will not recommend a physician on this site who continues to use a multi bladed knife.

The only physician in New England that I have the confidence in recommending is Dr. Ivan Cohen in Connecticut. To see highlights from my visit to his clinic, click here.

P.S. In my opinion, Dr. Bob Leonard in New England appears to still be performing mini/micro grafting.

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

• 2 weeks later...

I know two people who have had a HT with Dr. DeStefano, and I can spot each and every graft that was placed....and I'm by no means a HT guru. I had an appt. scheduled with Dr. Leonard prior to finding this forum. He would not give me a graft count, just what it would cost per procedure...made me a bit skeptical so I started searching the web and found this site. Thank you Dr. Leonard.

icon_smile.gif

IMHO..There is so much more to a HT than cutting a piece of sod out of the back of your head and planting it in a new area and letting it grow-pretty much anyone can do this. If, on the other hand, you want it to be undetectable to the naked eye, have a reconstructed hairline -performed by an artist (yes..there's artistry involved), and a closure that you would have a hard time finding with a magnifying glass-- then stick with a coalition Dr.

And the best part, it was actually less expensive to use a coalition Dr. ??“go figure!

Glock08

My Hair Loss Weblog

Dr. True 9/22/06

4326 grafts

2129 1's

2168 2's

6545 Total Hairs

He would not give me a graft count, just what it would cost per procedure...

While it is industry standard to charge by the number of grafts, some doctors do charge per procedure. I don't know that there is necessarily anything wrong with that. I do believe, however, that clinics need to be transparent about what they are doing. So, for instance, even if you are paying a flat rate for a procedure, you should still have an idea of approximate number of grafts to satisfy your needs. In other words, you need to be educated enough about surgery to get a sense of the overall game plan.

Part of the research process is talking to patients (online and/or in-person) and getting a sense of the different docs and their reputations. Other part, once you have narrowed your choices down, is building a relationship with your clinic(s). That relationship involves getting all your questions answered completely and to you satisfaction.

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

I went to a lesser-known HT doc for my first surgery. I am now going to Dr. Feller for #2. The only docs I would see other than Feller, are: Alexander, Rahal, H&W, Armani, Wolf, Shapiro, Cole. There are a handful of others who can do a decent job, but why would you risk having such an expensive surgery without feeling 100 percent confident in the surgeon's abilities? The aforementioned names are THE TOP docs. Don't believe me? Live on these boards for a few months and you'll learn quickly....go to a guy who uses a multiblade and you'll be going to one of these guys to fix the shoddy work.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Mrkneed:

I am happy that you are happy with your results. My Ht didn't start blooming until the 10 month. Do a search for a post by Mrjb chronicling the months by growth and emotions...it's right on.

Rhodeman:

Thanks..How is your's coming along?? Any pic's?

Going to Boston (Home of the World Series Champs) icon_smile.gifnext week for my 1 year follow-up.

See what I have left in reserves.

TheHairLossCure

:quote: While it is industry standard to charge by the number of grafts, some doctors do charge per procedure.I don't know that there is necessarily anything wrong with that.:quote:

...and I wouldn't have a problem with that if I was consulting with Dr. Rose or any other surgeon of the same caliber. In theory, I kind of like the idea...Hypothetical Consult= Patient needs approx: "X" number of grafts, done in "X" number of procedures, costing "X" $$$ total.

Are there too many variables to make this a viable alternative for the Dr. or the patient??

Glock08

My Hair Loss Weblog

Dr. True 9/22/06

4326 grafts

2129 1's

2168 2's

6545 Total Hairs

Glock,

I haven't put up any recent pics, but I'll have to take some & get them posted. My top is just starting to fill in, but the crown is somewhat lagging behind. I'm thinking that I may want have another one at some point to close in the temple areas a bit/add a little more to the crown. But I'm not gonna worry about it until after this one has a chance to develop.

As far as Leonard goes, he was a nice guy but I don't understand why he doesn't give an approximate graft count. His spacing between grafts seems a bit much, as does the incision size.

• 1 year later...

I am a current patient of Dr Distefano and I have had 2 sessions.. total 2,973 grafts... 855 - single hair follicles.... 1,318 - 2 haired follicles .... 800 - 3 haired follicles. I had a significant receding hair line and decided in early 2007 to get my 1st procedure done. I am happy to say after two procedures my hair is growing great and I now have a full head of hair. The procedure was very comfortable as the team of people who work with you during the procedure are very personable as is Dr. Distefano, you really feel like you're with friends, which I never felt at a Drs. Office. The procedure itself was pretty painless with minor discomfort, but after the numbing it's clear sailing with a good movie and good conversation with the Dr. Assistants. I can confirm that the Dr used a "single" blade knife, not sure where the misinformation came from? I also will share my photos as you CANNOT tell I had a HT and I thinks it's best to hear from people who actually had the procedure with the Dr. that is being discussed to get true feedback. Dr Distefano did a great job and several friends are considering the procedure. I would be glad to share helpful information on the procedure as well as before and after photos. I kept great notes..

Regards, Chrisdige

chrisdige,

As HK500 noted on one of your duplicate posts, if you are a legitimate patient of Dr. Distefano's, we're happy you are satisfied. But please don't duplicate the same post on a number of threads. This makes it appear as if you are promoting this doctor. Therefore, I've removed the 6 duplicate posts I've found of yours all within a short period of time.

If you are a legitimate patient, I encourage you to create your own thread to share your experience and photos.

Desperately Seeking,

Good movie icon_smile.gif

Bill

• Administrators

Chrisdige,

Congratulations on your positive experience with Dr. Distefano. I hope that he has indeed discontinued using a multibaded instrument for removing the donor tissue. As I pointed out in my above post in October of 2007, I have serious reservations about such a donor removal method, as do virtually all leading physicians - some of whom used a multibladed knife years ago but have long since discontinued its use.

I hope that Dr. Distefano has joined his colleagues in discontinuing this donor removal process. If he has, I invite him to share his patient results and his current surgical techniques with this forum community.

Best regards, Pat - Publisher of the Hair Transplant Network

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

Pat, Thanks for your feedback, I like responding to folks based on what I read in the forum and my experience. I've used these forums to get a patient's point view of the avialable drs. and services and wanted to share my recent experience, hoping it helps. Per the previous request I attached, before and after (@ 7 months), I will create a post with updated pics (now after a year) and my experience. Thanks for the feedback!

before_after.JPG.c0760c3c880317c68af58a203b0598cb.JPG