21 and Hopefully getting a HT in a few years. Need to stabilize my loss at a young age

I am holding out for H&W for a HT, but I definetely shouldve started taking Proscar earlier. Anyways, I'm starting Dutasteride now so I will document my progression and hopefully get my HT from Hasson and Wong in a few years if my loss stabilizes!

Hair_Smaller_2.thumb.jpg.761f85c239f5abb2b9baa8b162f9be18.jpg

Welcome to the site. I'm glad you are doing your research. This is a huge decision for somebody at 21 years of age. H&W have a great reputation. Good luck with everything. icon_smile.gif

4374 grafts-7/2/2008-Dr Rahal

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

You should ask them for a cancellation date .

I believe Ive seen them do 4000 for 8gs on guys that take a short date or something like that

Yeah this a HUGE decision at that age.

I wish I would have waited but we are all different.

Thats ALOT of propecia your starting at.

You want to start as low as possible because like some doctors have said on this site it loses its effectiveness after some time.

Exercises sure wont hurt only possibly help.

Blond curly hair are good characteristics for hair transplant.

However at that age if you look good with a shaved head I would seriously consider waiting for more advancements.

If not good luck

a pill cutter can take care of that...PGP is right.. u really should consider starting as low as possible with fin... work your way up through the years.. its the best way to maximize the lenght of time it remain effective... and at your age every year counts... i started at your age too . im 25 now and just started at 1.25mg a day

i wish you the best with your procedure if you decide to go through with it... please try to keep us all updated..

*** RESULTS WILL 100%, without a DOUBT, VARY***

Interesting....with your hair/scalp contrast, and combined w/ your head shape...even as bald as you currently it really looks quite good shaved.

How have you been *responding* to the fin? No side-effects and at the very least relative stabilization of loss?

I don't doubt that H+W will give you a very appropriate HT and with enough grafts to give you a really full look. The only ? I have is that my first paragraph combined with the fact that even most "full" HTs have their drawbacks....keeping your buzzed look AND/OR doing FUE to fill in a sweet hairline and an illusion of coverage behind is an option I find fairly attractive.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

I will see what i can do to lower my dosage of the generic proscar from 1.75mg to 1. I started the dosage just two weeks ago, with NO Side Effects. It is too early to see if it is working but thats why i scheduled my procedure for October. I would like to see my hair loss stabilize in 6 months, and make sure my body can handle it. Honestly though, trying to cut this small pill (with a pill cutter) into fourths is impossible. After the third cut it just starts to flake off. I truly do believe that somewhere down the road their will be more advancements that can add to my results from a procedure. I don't really worry about a scar because i never wore my hair short until i started losing my hair. I HAVE ATTACHED A PHOTO, THIS IS ABOUT THREE YEARS AGO AS MY HAIR HAD BEGUN THINNING, BUT THIS IS THE LENGTH AND DENSITY OF MY HAIR AS IT USUALLY APPEARS. I couldn't imagine Hasson and Wong allowing a scar to be that visible if I'm just harvesting 4,000 grafts initially. AND Yes, i'll absolutely be a fill in for a cancellation date if there is one. THANKS!

Dan___Benny.jpg.46cad17b16c60a536d4fb0d615f99633.jpg

I would srongly advise you on waiting to get a HT. I must admit that your hair buzz down looks extremely good. If I were you I would wait at least 5 to 6 more years...But if you insist on going that route at this age, you picked a great surgeon and I wish you luck....

Just a thought from the peanut gallery.....

If I were you, I'd stay on the Proscar for almost two years before going ahead with surgery. It might not give you a teenage hairline but it could very well thicken up your crown. 21 is very young for a HT.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Originally posted by PLEASE GROW PLEASE:

You should ask them for a cancellation date .

I believe Ive seen them do 4000 for 8gs on guys that take a short date or something like that

Yeah this a HUGE decision at that age.

I wish I would have waited but we are all different.

Thats ALOT of propecia your starting at.

You want to start as low as possible because like some doctors have said on this site it loses its effectiveness after some time.

Exercises sure wont hurt only possibly help.

Blond curly hair are good characteristics for hair transplant.

However at that age if you look good with a shaved head I would seriously consider waiting for more advancements.

If not good luck

$8,000!??

$2.00 a graft? Wow.

Who told you that?

-

1st Transplant: 5,485 grafts with Dr Jerry Wong

2nd Transplant: 3,100 grafts with Dr Jerry Wong

3rd Transplant: 5,035 grafts with Dr Sanusi Umar

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Wong

Thanks For all the suggestions, i really appreciate and take them all into consideration. Isn't it always true when they say "The hair you have you now is the best hair you'll have the rest of your life? Be honest guys, and those who are older (which i assume all of you are) that if the cutting edge newer procedures were available to you when you were my age that you would consider what i'm doing. Yes, I am young at 21 but we all now how losing your hair kills your confidence and I don't want this negativity about myself before i even begin to make it in the real world. LET ME ADD ANOTHER PIC, I THINK THAT FIRST PIC IS A LITTLE DECEIVING IN JUDGING THE HAIR LOSS. I don't like keeping my hair short.

Hair_Smaller_2.thumb.jpg.5ede3ea141c16a03d519ed53d9231cf1.jpg

I just lost some respect for H&W. A 21 yo NW4 with thinning all in top of crown... you have agressive hairloss(ur just like me, but im 24 and had an HT worst mistake of my life). You could be easily headed for NW7, and you wont have enough donor hair to cover that. It may look good for 4 years... but what about 7,8 or 9 or 10 years from now. you will have forfit the option to buzz low or shave because you will have a smily face scar from ear to ear. But you wont listen to me...

Good luck.

Innermind, thank you for your post. I will be aggressive with my approach, but not ill-advised in my decision. I will wait a few years before making a decision. I will try Dutasteride for a few years and hopefully not only halt my loss but regrow some hair as well. I will document my loss/gains. Thank You

• 8 months later...

Now 22, I don't know if Dutasteride is working. I don't see any noticeable loss but I'm restless. I am always tired and definitely think I have a decreased libido. I'm currently in school out in Australia and while everyone is having a great time, i find that 'college' is more of the nightmare i experienced in highschool worrying about my hair a lot more then my studies. Almost every minute i obsess about my hair/hair loss. The problem is, without the coverage i use to have my head just gets burned by the sun here on the Gold Coast and since all i do is bask in the sun that i'll get skin cancer in three years, no doubt. I wouldnt mind shaving my head down except for that fact that when i do i get red marks all on the back of my head. If i grow it out to mask those 'rashes' i just look like "krusty the clown'. I dont know if i should keep taking the Dutasteride if its making me tired and depressed. But, maybes its just the hair-loss that is depressing me. If i stop taking the Dutas i give up on the hopes and dreams i've had of hopefully getting a hair transplant from Hasson and Wong in a couple years. Thing is, i am a great candidate for a HT if my loss is stabilized because of my long, blonde curly hair. Does anyone else experience these harmful side effects of Dutasteride? I'm lost and more depressed then ever. Just when I felt okay about shaving my head, my roomate had to get a mirror and I used it to look at the back of my head and saw nothing but red' like irritation from using my electric shaver on '0'. Someone, please help.

Originally posted by JSSeaDub06:

Now 22, I don't know if Dutasteride is working. I don't see any noticeable loss but I'm restless. I am always tired and definitely think I have a decreased libido. I'm currently in school out in Australia and while everyone is having a great time, i find that 'college' is more of the nightmare i experienced in highschool worrying about my hair a lot more then my studies. Almost every minute i obsess about my hair/hair loss. The problem is, without the coverage i use to have my head just gets burned by the sun here on the Gold Coast and since all i do is bask in the sun that i'll get skin cancer in three years, no doubt. I wouldnt mind shaving my head down except for that fact that when i do i get red marks all on the back of my head. If i grow it out to mask those 'rashes' i just look like "krusty the clown'. I dont know if i should keep taking the Dutasteride if its making me tired and depressed. But, maybes its just the hair-loss that is depressing me. If i stop taking the Dutas i give up on the hopes and dreams i've had of hopefully getting a hair transplant from Hasson and Wong in a couple years. Thing is, i am a great candidate for a HT if my loss is stabilized because of my long, blonde curly hair. Does anyone else experience these harmful side effects of Dutasteride? I'm lost and more depressed then ever. Just when I felt okay about shaving my head, my roomate had to get a mirror and I used it to look at the back of my head and saw nothing but red' like irritation from using my electric shaver on '0'. Someone, please help.

Dont use a razor to "shave down". Get some electric clippers. They may not take it down to the skin, will leave a couple mm of hair, but it will be invisible. That is was Agassi does.

Also you could then use an electric razor to take it down all the way.

If you can live with a shaved head look, then that is the best possible outcome. HT will be a long road.

Stop taking dut. This stuff is prescribed for men in their 60s for prostate. You have a long life ahead of you to be tweaking with your hormones.

I strongly agree with the posts above. Dutasteride is not a prescribed medication for hair loss and the long term effects are unknown. This is my non-medical opinion you understand, however, it appears that dut is used as a last resort when the propecia stops working. Start on propecia and work up from there if necessary.

hi, why are you taking the drugs for now ! my advice let it fall out dont waste your money,unless your thinking of taking them for the rest of your life,say you take them for another 4 years once you stop any hair that would have fallen out will! you need to see what the maxim loss will be at that age then have the H/T l know its not nice lossing your hair i was a norwood 6, mate save your money and the side effects of the drugs! shave your head

Agreed. No more Dutas. I have a Conair Electric Razor that has an adjustable head. It always irritates my skin. What do you mean when you say electric clippers? In Australia, the lowest set of clips that come with the razor are 3mm. Its that or 0. At home in the US, it was 1mm.