Raymond Konior, M.D. - 2000 Graft Restoration

This 43 year old patient gave a history of having undergone a singe minigraft session in the frontal scalp about 5 years prior to his presentation to my office. His main concerns were low density and unnatural looking grafts in the previously treated frontal scalp region. His primary goals were: 1) a modest frontal density enhancement; 2) softening the appearance of the minigrafts; 3) avoiding shock loss; and 4) an inconspicuous recovery - i.e. not shaving the recipient site. He underwent a session of 2000 follicular units into the frontal scalp region.

I present this case based on my interest in the recent 'see-through hair' thread. The graft number performed in this case does not come close to providing adolescent density, but it was successful in fulfilling the patient's primary objectives. Attached is a short video clip that demonstrates how a relatively conservative density enhancement was still able to provide a significant cosmetic improvement in the old graft zone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GJaJd7HuRs

897108674_50939FAF494AE74A0DCE4A780EBA4916.jpg.thumb 797108674_58A59878E69B5C24E745F7E5E97EA72B.jpg.thumb 697108674_7731DDD65E9CCBA3F272CB459076BBF2.jpg.thumb 597108674_830084F3757B8734D4A93E2E41176FC4.jpg.thumb 497108674_A7DB38B1E01A75A6C8DB68C9D0E432CC.jpg.thumb 397108674_55D42B0561B0BCBE5C9DC783CD327190.jpg.thumb 297108674_A0CA6528EEE45CA6AA59191FB5BED087.jpg.thumb 197108674_994FC38E911F777A741A6A406D3A8ADD.jpg.thumb

This looks sensational. Almost unreal. Especially considering the low graft count. Congratulations Dr. Im just about to view the attached video file!

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Having viewed the video. Im somewhat lost for words. I dont understand how this result would be possible. Im extremely interested in this case. Would it be possible to view some imm-post op pics at all Dr?

Again, hugely impressed!

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Dr. Konior,

This is certainly another homerun result for sure.

While the results are 100% without a doubt impressive as usual, posting before photos with dry hair would help us better establish how much thinning this patient had prior to his hair transplant. Wet hair always makes a patient's hair appear a lot thinner than when their hair is dry.

Best wishes,

Bill

Raphael ??“ I do not have any meaningful intraoperative photos. I initially thought he was a relatively average patient and only captured a few routine photos on the day of his procedure. One year later I was impressed by what I thought was an above-average result and shot the video on a whim because I didn't think photos alone did justice in terms of fully documenting the dimensionality of coverage he was able to achieve. He appeared to me to be a very good example of the 'illusion of density' that is commonly referred to on this forum. Thana and Bill's insight into the relevance of lighting, styling and baseline density in Julius's 'see-through hair' thread are very pertinent. This patient, of course, has nowhere near his original density, but he looks pretty good under average lighting with his current hair style.

Coligion ??“ I mentioned his desire to keep shock down to a minimum as a generalization relating to why 2000 grafts were used rather than 3000 or more. Well know concepts for minimizing shock include the use of small blades with meticulous angling and directing of the opening sites. Graft density also plays a big role. This is the type of patient in whom I initially may have recommended a larger session in order to produce a more solid density. However, every patient has specific goals based what they hope to achieve and what they are willing to do to get to that end point. A much larger session would not only have required him to shave the recipient site, but it would have increased his risk of shock because of the additional vascular stain placed on the recipient site. He was not willing to shave or accept the higher risk of shock that would have accompanied a much larger session. Although his density is not rock solid, the postop recovery and the cosmetic end result satisfied him.

The word modesty springs to mind. Dr Konior, you mention that the phrase "illusion of density" is often mentioned and discussed on this forum and in the world that is hair transplantation. But, judging by the post op images and the provided video, this genuinley does not seem like one of these cases. Whilst Im sure, that his post op stats do not reach anywhere near his pre hair loss density, you have the numbers and have stated this, but I just cant stress how amazed I am at this result. This looks like no illusion to me, with this current style and length, his hair looks 100% natural and extremely dense. Great job!!!

Dr. Konior

This is another example of the outstanding results you are able to obtain for your patients. Excellent work.

Steven Gabel, MD, FACS, FISHRS

Diplomate, American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery

Diplomate, American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery

Diplomate, American College of Surgeons

Gabel Hair Restoration Center

Portland, Oregon

503-693-1118

Email Dr. Gabel directly at drgabel@gabelcenter.com

Dr. Gabel's Website

Dr. Steven Gabel is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Dr. Konior,

Great job...With that being said, what was his donor density?

By the way, the video truly captures the artistry of the work. That shows a very natural result with the right amount of density and a perfect blending of the transplanted hair with the native hair to give a nice illusion of denisity...

You could see his happiness in the video even when he was looking down-nice...