Does weightlifting accelerate hair loss?

Hello,

I have been on Finasteride and Oral Minoxidil for nearly 9 months now and I have been seeing decent results in terms of maintaining existing hair and modest regrowth. 

I am planning on starting to lift weights again to try and get healthier. My big concern is that this will accelerate hair loss as I know lifting weights can increase testosterone levels. I’m not sure of the scientific thing but I know guys who are muscular are more likely to be bald.

i don’t know if their baldness was a catalyst for hitting the gym but I’m not an expert on biology and I was hoping someone could give me an answer. 

I’m also going to post my 9 month update here. It looks like I never lost any hair to begin with. I just don’t want weightlifting to ruin the progress I have made. 

IMG_1769.jpeg

IMG_1746.jpeg

IMG_1747.jpeg

• Valued Contributor

If you’re on Finasteride then I would not worry about hitting the gym. Resistance training will increase your testosterone levels which will increase DHT levels. However, I don’t believe that it should be a cause to not work out. I’m not anle to tolerate a 5ari at all and I’m going to the gym. I’m taking 5mg of oral minoxidil a day but this has no role in blocking DHT levels. 

1 hour ago, h_kovacs said:

I have never experienced hair loss when going back to the gym and I have been on and off for years

I have also not noticed any hair loss while taking creatine

Everybody is different.

As you touch on the gym won’t have a massive impact on hairloss but there’s a fairly wide scale debate and scientific studies into the impact of supplements. Creatine seems to be the big one but I’m glad it hasn’t impacted you adversely.

• Administrators

Anabolic steroids can accelerate hair loss. Working out naturally should have no bearing on hair loss. 

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

7 hours ago, Gatsby said:

If you’re on Finasteride then I would not worry about hitting the gym. Resistance training will increase your testosterone levels which will increase DHT levels. However, I don’t believe that it should be a cause to not work out. I’m not anle to tolerate a 5ari at all and I’m going to the gym. I’m taking 5mg of oral minoxidil a day but this has no role in blocking DHT levels. 

We can’t say that is true.

Hairloss is seen in men who weightlift is commonly due to steroid use. 

If you're a natural weightlifter, I can't imagine you'll find hairloss acceleration, especially while on finasteride.

• Moderators

Weightlifting can accelerate hair loss, but I think it's very rare that it happens and my guess is that it's only going to happen in men with very aggressive hair loss to begin with. Those men's hair follicles are so sensitive to testosterone and DHT that the minor increase in testosterone from working out daily does have an effect. This is not your case, however, as you have basically no hair loss. I would not worry about it in your case. 

• Like 2

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.