Need Guidance - Failed Hair Transplant

Hi Everybody,

Unfortunately I’m a victim of a failed hair transplant. I did my transplant almost 11 months back here in India from a very experienced Doctor and I don’t understand what went wrong. I did my hairline and my temple area and approx 2100+ grafts were implanted. After the surgery the I could see most of the grafts which were implanted they never grew in size and hardly few of them grew but i was assured that they were in resting phase and experience is different for every individual. All the grafts which were implanted shed and I could see hundreds of small stubble hairs. Months and months passed those stubble hairs never grew and were dead stuck in their place. Few hairs grow behind the hairline but hardly any hair came out on the hairline. Left side was little bit better but it was alway my stronger side but right side came out worst. I think right side looked better even before the surgery. I went to another doctor for second opinion and he pulled out those stubble hairs which were stuck in there for 11 months and they were irritating my scalp and gave me hell of a itch. There were hundreds of them and they came out very easily. I guess they were dead hairs and never got push out as new hairs didn’t grew. I’m thinking about going for another transplant but Im afraid it might happen again as the doctor don’t understand why this happened in the first place. I’m looking for answers here and some guidance on what should I do next? I’m attaching few pics from the day of surgery, during the shedding phase and some recent pictures. 

IMG20230617141643_Original.jpeg

IMG_0708_Original.jpeg

IMG_0707_Original.jpeg

IMG_1579_Original.jpeg

IMG_2577_Original.png

IMG_2500.jpeg

IMG_2505.jpeg

@Anonymous26 I can understand what you're going through. I think in your case  possibly poor survival of grafts could be the reason. For your repair procedure select a surgeon with some proper research, best wishes

If the doctor can’t give you a straight answer in terms of what could have went wrong and how he’s going to fix it the second time around then I personally wouldn’t go to them again. 

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor
9 hours ago, Anonymous26 said:

I’m thinking about going for another transplant but Im afraid it might happen again as the doctor don’t understand why this happened in the first place. I’m looking for answers here and some guidance on what should I do next?

Please take this in the spirit that it is meant but I would do everything you didn't do the first time around. Without knowing who your surgeon was you need to research surgeons who turn out huge volumes of excellent work that are posted by patients. Have a look at the doctors listed on this forum and the patient results. Hair transplants are very expensive so you have to factor this into having surgery which over the life span will be at least two. You really need to be on some sort of medication like finasteride, minoxidil and stabilize your hair loss. Finally I am very sorry to read your story. Unfortunately we read of these stories every week because of unethical doctors and patients who have not spent a good year or so researching. The positives to take out are that you did not have a 5,000 graft mega session so your donor should still have a healthy number in the bank if used judiciously. Wishing you all the best and don't feel that you have to be in a rush if you do decide to have surgery in the future.

1 hour ago, mr_peanutbutter said:

name the surgeon

I think it is quite unfair that people come here for help but do not share infos that could be helpful to others.

• Like 1

How old are you?

Seems like a poor growth, can you share donor photos?

Probably you can have a repair procedure, you can PM if interested in consultation with HDC clinic 

Doron Harati - Patient coordinator for HDC Hair Clinic, HT procedures are done by MD Doctors with Microscope FUE.

For consultation contact me: WhatsApp +972526542654

Mail:doronhdc@gmail.com

HDC Instegram: https://instagram.com/doronhairadvisor_hdc?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

* All comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice, all comments are only the personal opinions of the poster.

19 hours ago, A Fue Good Men said:

If the doctor can’t give you a straight answer in terms of what could have went wrong and how he’s going to fix it the second time around then I personally wouldn’t go to them again. 

Totally agree that’s why I went to another doctor for second opinion.

17 hours ago, Gramatik said:

it looks like poor survival of grafts...Please tell us the name of the doctor that did your hair transplant

Dr. Ashutosh Shah - Elegance Clinic.

1 hour ago, duchaine said:

I think it is quite unfair that people come here for help but do not share infos that could be helpful to others.

2 hours ago, mr_peanutbutter said:

name the surgeon

Dr. Ashutosh Shah - Elegance Clinic.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gatsby said:

Please take this in the spirit that it is meant but I would do everything you didn't do the first time around. Without knowing who your surgeon was you need to research surgeons who turn out huge volumes of excellent work that are posted by patients. Have a look at the doctors listed on this forum and the patient results. Hair transplants are very expensive so you have to factor this into having surgery which over the life span will be at least two. You really need to be on some sort of medication like finasteride, minoxidil and stabilize your hair loss. Finally I am very sorry to read your story. Unfortunately we read of these stories every week because of unethical doctors and patients who have not spent a good year or so researching. The positives to take out are that you did not have a 5,000 graft mega session so your donor should still have a healthy number in the bank if used judiciously. Wishing you all the best and don't feel that you have to be in a rush if you do decide to have surgery in the future.

Thanks bro. Really appreciate it. What I’m afraid of is that it might happen again because I have no answer right now about what went wrong the first time.  I might be having any underlying condition which might be affecting the growth? I don’t know. The new doctor I consulted is also not sure about what could have gone wrong as he didn’t performed the surgery. Anyway thanks.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mr_peanutbutter said:

do you have budget for repair?

i wouldnt go there again tbh

I do but can’t afford to go outside the country. It has to be in India.

• Valued Contributor
27 minutes ago, Anonymous26 said:

What I’m afraid of is that it might happen again because I have no answer right now about what went wrong the first time.

The post-op work looks poor to me. Poor graft placement, everything in rows, amateur looking irregularities across the hairline. If this had survived and grown as anticipated, I'm fairly confident that you would have been left with an unnatural looking hair restoration.

My best guess is that "what went wrong" is simply that this Dr/Clinic isn't very good, and that's why you're not going to get any useful answers from the doctor himself.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Do not go back to the same place even if they offer to do more grafts for free. You have a limited amount of donor that never grows back once it's gone. Don't let them waste more of your donor by practicing on you.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

5 hours ago, Doron Harati said:

How old are you?

Seems like a poor growth, can you share donor photos?

Probably you can have a repair procedure, you can PM if interested in consultation with HDC clinic 

Hi, I’m 29. I’m attaching a pic of my donor area but I doubt I can afford to travel to another country.

IMG_2528.jpeg

4 hours ago, Gatsby said:

What is your budget? I would see a dermatologist to see if you can rule out any scalp conditions that may have contributed to this. But in all honesty if it was a cheap doctor the grafts may have been transected or left out of the scalp too long. 

The new doctor said we can do patch testing and if it failed we can do a biopsy for any underlying scalp condition. Or should I do it other way round? What do u think?

4 hours ago, Berba11 said:

The post-op work looks poor to me. Poor graft placement, everything in rows, amateur looking irregularities across the hairline. If this had survived and grown as anticipated, I'm fairly confident that you would have been left with an unnatural looking hair restoration.

My best guess is that "what went wrong" is simply that this Dr/Clinic isn't very good, and that's why you're not going to get any useful answers from the doctor himself.

I had my doubts but the Doctor in question had experience of more than a decade and I heard lot of positive reviews. I don’t know how true they were.

4 hours ago, mr_peanutbutter said:

eugenix or medispa. both are recommended by this site

I heard very mix reviews about Eugenix. Though I’ll look into both of your suggestions. Thanks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Al - Moderator said:

Do not go back to the same place even if they offer to do more grafts for free. You have a limited amount of donor that never grows back once it's gone. Don't let them waste more of your donor by practicing on you.

They did but there is no way I’m going back there.

Let me begin by saying that I have never heard of this doctor nor the clinic that was mentioned, and who knows for sure which individuals were involved in this procedure…over the past 5 decades I have seen literally thousands of photos to date and it is SO OBVIOUS that this procedure was performed by a newbie learning FUE and that you undoubtedly were a victim of extremely high levels of transection also involving techs with very poor extraction skills and no experience (newbies) damaging the grafts and as Gats stated, probably left out and not implanted immediately thereby making the grafts subject to acute ischemia reprofusion (deterioration) and so the corresponding yield was so negligible that whatever money was paid was a total loss…when this type of thing happens, it is usually a result of the patient negotiating the cheapest possible price and oftentimes they end up a Guinea subject, for a newbie learning FUE and has little to no experience nor any skill…IMHO, the photos tell the story, “You get what you pay for”

• Like 3

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• Valued Contributor
2 hours ago, Anonymous26 said:

I had my doubts but the Doctor in question had experience of more than a decade and I heard lot of positive reviews. I don’t know how true they were.

I think it's fair to say those reviews were not particularly reliable.

• Like 1