UK rise of better surgeons in recent years

I've noticed in the last 2 years the UK seems to have had a rise in quality hair transplant surgeons. Not long ago the forum would always advise those living in the UK to travel abroad....

The general consensus now seems to be shifting though I think? 

• Valued Contributor

There's still loads of terrible practitioners in the UK I'm afraid, but running concurrent to that is some newer options that are exciting.

I don't know why Dr Ball isn't more widely discussed on here or reviewed though. He's been around for ages - all the way through the barren years - and is an excellent surgeon.

A couple of issues, in my opinion. The clinics in the UK produce average results and are expensive. Therefore, you can pay the same abroad and get a much better result OR get the same result abroad and pay a lot less. I still try and steer people on this forum into Continental Europe for a transplant. Whether they listen to me is another question...

• Like 2

• Administrators

I think the UK has some quality docs, and some up and comers. It’s certainly the most we’ve seen in recent years. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On 4/22/2024 at 11:19 PM, Silent123 said:

Hey man, there’s still not many on the forum recommended list. Very few in-fact, though this could change 👍

There's quite a few on the forum recommended surgeons list based in the UK...

On 4/23/2024 at 4:11 AM, Melvin- Admin said:

I think the UK has some quality docs, and some up and comers. It’s certainly the most we’ve seen in recent years. 

Definitely. It looks to be getting much better in the UK in terms of options 

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, Lenzman said:

Definitely. It looks to be getting much better in the UK in terms of options 

That's great. Almost half of our members are from the UK. They were told to travel for years, but now they have options close by, not that you should choose based on location alone. But if all things are equal, convenience does matter.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

2 hours ago, ScottishGuy21 said:

Daily I see targeted adverts from pop up UK clinics in my feeds.

My favourite is all the clinics claiming 'Voted best hair transplant clinic' or 'Award winning clinic' in their adverts. Do people really fall for this type of marketing? 

• Valued Contributor
23 hours ago, Lenzman said:

Do people really fall for this type of marketing? 

100%, for the simple reason that 99.9% of prospective HT patients know nothing substantial about what good hair restoration requires and looks like, and there's no independent body that sets a clear standard for what passes as acceptable work and holds surgeons accountable to that standard.

• Like 3

On 4/29/2024 at 9:45 PM, Lenzman said:

My favourite is all the clinics claiming 'Voted best hair transplant clinic' or 'Award winning clinic' in their adverts. Do people really fall for this type of marketing? 

Short answer, yes!

Edit: Just seen Berba has already answered, but think how many people are influenced in general by trustpilot, google reviews etc when they are unverified and in some cases bought or faked.

Edited by HHH

22 hours ago, Berba11 said:

100%, for the simple reason that 99.9% of prospective HT patients know nothing substantial about what good hair restoration requires and looks like, and there's no independent body that sets a clear standard for what passes as acceptable work and holds surgeons accountable to that standard.

Very true. Most don't even know what it takes to create a natural looking hairline. Completely clueless. Some may get lucky with their procedure, though far too many learn first hand just how unnatural it looks on themselves. Terrible situation to be in and having to seek a repair. 

To even think that every hair transplant clinic is the same and that the best price is the primary deciding factor is completely rolling the dice. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Yeah most people just think you go somewhere, get some hair inserted, and you're done. They have no idea about angles, donor depletion, hairline design, etc. That's why they just pick the cheapest place that they read some good reviews about.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.