Any thoughts on my hair transplant?

Posted (edited)

Hi all,

I have been lurking on this site for a while now. 12 months ago I had a hair transplant at a London UK based clinic.

I had 2500 grafts FUE done in one session. Pictures below show where I started, then post surgery and then 12 months later. Sorry I don't have better pictures.

Any thoughts on how this looks? Does it look like 2500 grafts (thereabouts)? I am on oral fin/dut daily (alternate days), topical minox daily and derma-roller (once per week). I am just starting oral minox. Just to note I have been on fin for two years and just added dut in Nov. I am 46 y/o.

My own assessment is I have got some decent coverage compared to having very little when I started and am hoping to get a follow-up procedure to soften hairline and add density.

Thanks in advance.

D45B3248-43BD-4155-A0A2-CB4C71197085.jpeg

7C0A4FA9-07EA-4207-98A4-9598C5D9157E.jpeg

9BEAD8B7-8E27-4040-9882-54DCBE1434C7.jpeg

Edited by londonbased
Added my age

It looks like you've had a scattered approach to restoration, a bit all over, rather than primarily focusing on the hairline, but then it could just be hard to really tell from the photos. I don't think it is that bad for 2500 grafts. Even after a year you may still have some maturity and growth to come. The bigger question is, are you happy with the overall result? You've gone from bald to a hairline which I think is something worth celebrating for yourself.

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I am generally happy with the result. As you said it gave me a foundation to add more, and now focus on a few specific areas. Interestingly I had an appointment with Dr Reddy on a follow-up procedure (who is a very highly-regarded surgeon from what I read). He said the grafts they took might have left some donor scarring that could compromise future donor capacity. So I would likely only get 4000 grafts total. In hindsight, I wish I had gone to him for the first procedure (but I guess hindsight is 20/20). I am happy with the outcome of the first surgery. Dr Reddy is more precise than most in carefully taking out and using grafts -- of course he takes more time and has a different price point to several other clinics.

Posted (edited)

@Shadman
The design outlined by the clinic concluded I would require approximately 2500 grafts (each containing 1-3 hairs), which would be used to establish a suitable frontal hair line, thickening back throughout the frontal two thirds of my scalp, but leaving the crown area at the back, as this would use-up grafts that would be better-used towards the front.

I am planning to get a touch-up to refine the front and thicken up. Does it look what one might broadly expect for 2500 grafts? Realise we can’t perform miracles on a bald head (at least not on the first pass). 

Edited by londonbased

It looks good for 2500 grafts distributed all over your recepeint area. I am not so sure with your donor area tho. It looks like it is really small and you are a Norwood 7 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks Ajamilo. Yes, I am NW7 at top but have a bit higher coverage on the sides, helped by the meds. My estimated donor capacity of 4k grafts might seem very moderate for a lot of posters, as I mostly read write-ups on 6-8k+ capacities. 

Edited by londonbased
  • Like 1

• Valued Contributor

@londonbased for 2,500 grafts and with a large head (like myself) I think the results are good. The fact you are taking dutasteride and now oral minoxidil will also help you. Depending on your donor if you wanted more density you could opt for a second pass. From the pics your crown appears to still be intact and this is where the meds will help in keeping what you have and help strengthen the hair you have. All the best!

• Like 1

This is good coverage for only 2500 on a large area. I wonder why only 2500 though for a NW7? Anyway overall I’d be happy with that and another pass should provide a decent result 

• Like 1

Thanks Hairwolf. I think they did 2500 grafts as here in the UK they are generally adverse to large sessions. I am making an assumption there; I could be incorrect. After the first procedure we would see the results and assess how much donor hair I have left. If I went all in with 4000 grafts in one session, they said there would be a risk of lower graft yield. Of course I could get a larger amount done in consecutive days, but at the time I was greedy and wanted to get it all done in one day.

I think this looks good, very economic use of the grafts. Not an approach I have seen before.

I think as you have a fair complexion and your hair is light it gives a really good illusion of density. 

I'd be tempted not to go for a second surgery if I was in your situation, but Dr Reddy would be a great option if you want to add to what is a great foundation.

Would you care to share the doctor / surgery?

Thanks for posting. 

• Like 1

Thanks SuperHans. Sure, I had the first surgery performed by Dr Ismail at the Wimpole Clinic in London. As mentioned, it was overall a good experience for me, in particular they provided great communication and were very supportive both pre and post op.

Just curious, why would you be tempted not to go for a second surgery? Cheers.

• Moderators

As others have said, I think it looks good for only 2500 grafts on that large area.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

On 3/22/2024 at 4:14 PM, londonbased said:

Thanks SuperHans. Sure, I had the first surgery performed by Dr Ismail at the Wimpole Clinic in London. As mentioned, it was overall a good experience for me, in particular they provided great communication and were very supportive both pre and post op.

Just curious, why would you be tempted not to go for a second surgery? Cheers.

Thanks for the info.

Nothing negative. The only reason I'd be tempted not to go for another surgery is that it looks good as it is. Especially considering your starting position and that Dr Reddy has already mentioned donor scarring from the previous HT.

Yuu'll know this but there is always risk associated with surgery, even from the best, I think I'd enjoy what I'd already achieved if I were... Saying that, I am sure with the right plan and surgeon (Dr Reddy being a quality option) you will achieve even better! 

• Like 1