5,015 graft extraction, missing grafts? 1700 or 2700 graft FUT, Dr. Blake Bloxham

4 hours ago, BackFromTheBrink said:

Because they implanted more than one extracted follicle in some of the incisions.

Well, there can certainly be more than 1 follicle in a graft, that is the whole point of there being single, double, triple follicles in a graft.

We are talking about grafts though, not hair follicles. 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, asterix0 said:

Well, there can certainly be more than 1 follicle in a graft, that is the whole point of there being single, double, triple follicles in a graft.

We are talking about grafts though, not hair follicles. 

This is confusing the issue - they are saying they often place two, separate, 1-hair grafts into a single channel to “create” a double (or perhaps a 1-hair graft with a 2-hair graft to make a triple etc.). So multiple grafts in one incision, which would mean two 1-hair grafts in a single incision would appear to the software as a single graft with 2 hairs. Thus, the software would be undercounting the total grafts that were extracted. The amount of undercounting would depend on how many grafts were combined this way.

This is all the more reason the graft breakdown should be provided asap. The graft breakdown would likely go a long way in clearing this up, which is why it’s so odd it hasn’t been provided. The longer it isn’t provided, the more it seems like Dr. Bloxham just doesn’t have it.

For what it’s worth, my graft breakdown from my surgery with Bloxham was also never provided to me, but in fairness, I didn’t ever ask. I would be interested to see if other Bloxham patients on the forum were ever provided with that information.

Edited by FormerFutureKrillin
missing word
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, FormerFutureKrillin said:

This is confusing the issue - they are saying they often place two, separate, 1-hair grafts into a single channel to “create” a double (or perhaps a 1-hair graft with a 2-hair graft to make a triple etc.). So multiple grafts in one incision, which would mean two 1-hair grafts in a single incision would appear to the software as a single graft with 2 hairs. Thus, the software would be undercounting the total grafts that were extracted. The amount of undercounting would depend on how many grafts were combined this way.

This is all the more reason the graft breakdown should be provided asap. The graft breakdown would likely go a long way in clearing this up, which is why it’s so odd it hasn’t been provided. The longer it isn’t provided, the more it seems like Dr. Bloxham just doesn’t have it.

For what it’s worth, my graft breakdown from my surgery with Bloxham was also never provided to me, but in fairness, I didn’t ever ask. I would be interested to see if other Bloxham patients on the forum were ever provided with that information.

Interesting, I didn't know that was possible. Why would a surgeon prefer to do that, intuitively it would seem to compromise graft survivability? 

15 minutes ago, asterix0 said:

Interesting, I didn't know that was possible. Why would a surgeon prefer to do that, intuitively it would seem to compromise graft survivability? 

My guess is that it is because in strip you can’t cherry-pick the right number of singles vs multis like FUE, so if your strip had too many 1 hair grafts you would need to combine some of them to make some multis or else it wouldn’t look as good. I’m not a doctor so I don’t really know 100% on either point but I agree intuitively it seems less than ideal from a survivability perspective. 

• Administrators
On 3/17/2024 at 6:52 PM, shiba1985 said:

Strip density varies drastically as one goes from occipital to temporal area. You cannot calculate the density at the thickest part of the scalp and assume the entire strip has the same density. It drops significantly. 

Indeed, density varies throughout your scalp. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators
On 3/17/2024 at 6:11 AM, BackFromTheBrink said:

I don't think his letter is unreasonable. It does, however, lack specifics on your case and instead talks generally.

The only think I can see that is definitive is that he extracted and implanted 2700 grafts. However, since that is the main concern you have, I'd say he has addressed that.

The implication is that you had less than 2700 incisions since he uses multiple singles in one incision 'almost every day'. Similarly, he presumes there was only one surgery taking place at the time of your surgery.

If I were to guess, it would be that you have not been given specifics about your surgery because he doesn't have them (such as a record of the hair to follicle ratio of the 3 strips). He also may be concerned about you using his words as part of a legal case against him - e.g he could have checked to confirm how many patients were booked on the same day as you, but chose not to do, or not to disclose that for fear of you finding further fault.

While not directly stating it, he also seems to say that there are only 2 senior doctors. Others may be 'shadowing' but would not have interfered with the surgery. It'd be useful to have a definitive statement that only he and Dr. Feller operated on you, but he chose not to take the opportunity to clarify that.

From reading his letter, the only way you'll know for sure is to take him up on his offer of a consultation to ask him the questions you listed above. I don't think that will help you, other than to perhaps set your mind at rest.

You have paid for the surgery, he believes he's delivered what you paid and you were in no way short changed.

While it may not be what your want to hear, nothing is going to change what did or didn't happen in the surgery. You've really just got to decide whether the outcome is worth the cost (monetarily and in donor grafts), the rest is really largely just noise.

I think this is a fair and reasonable response. It’s a huge disservice to patients when users say things “get a full refund” this completely breaks down communication. It’s not a realistic solution. Even if it were to go legal. There’s no botch job. It realistically looks better than before. Cooler heads must prevail. OP I hope you take the doctor on his offer. Keep a line of communication open. I hope you can find a reasonable solution. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

4 hours ago, FormerFutureKrillin said:

I was provided with a total graft amount, not a breakdown, though I never asked for a breakdown. 

• Like 1