5,015 graft extraction, missing grafts? 1700 or 2700 graft FUT, Dr. Blake Bloxham

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, jjalay said:

Holy Sh*t, the scar looks bad.

Yup! It’s really bad. The first scar from a different doctor was much better. This is making it difficult to go back for FUE. I’m contemplating another FUT with the hopes the new scar will be less. Also with this scar being so wide I don’t even think I can do another FUT due to elasticity in the scalp

FUT completed by Bloxham 

Edited by Chair

4 minutes ago, Chair said:

Yup! It’s really bad. The first scar from a different doctor was much better. This is making it difficult to go back for FUE. I’m contemplating another FUT with the hopes the new scar will be less. Also with this scar being so wide I don’t even think I can do another FUT due to elasticity in the scalp

FUT completed by Bloxham 

I2m not really sure about that, after only 2500 grafts i believe you still have room for another fut. You should speak with another doctor about this and get more opinions.

• Thanks 1

Doesn't look like 2,700 grafts to my untrained eyes. Also, not a fan of that wide scar. Would expect better work from the doctor here. Hope you get a full refund mate.

• Like 1

"49.3 sq cm with a follicular unit density of 34 FU/cm²"

OP that math indicates 1700 grafts, this is the report that Dr. Bloxham provided to you?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, asterix0 said:

"49.3 sq cm with a follicular unit density of 34 FU/cm²"

OP that math indicates 1700 grafts, this is the report that Dr. Bloxham provided to you?

It is in the report.

1676 total FU's
Average Width = (1.6 cm + 1.8 cm )/ 2 = 1.7 cm
Total Area (Length x Width) = 29 cm x 1.7 cm = 49.3 cm
Total FU's (area x FU/cm2) = 49.3 CM * 34 FU/CM2 = 1676 FU's

edit: this is for the initial strip. Two additional strips were harvested. This also assumes 34 FU from 1676 grafts. I don't think that's accurate. Should be more like 54 FU. 

Edited by bluebird00

2 hours ago, bluebird00 said:

It is in the report.

1676 total FU's
Average Width = (1.6 cm + 1.8 cm )/ 2 = 1.7 cm
Total Area (Length x Width) = 29 cm x 1.7 cm = 49.3 cm
Total FU's (area x FU/cm2) = 49.3 CM * 34 FU/CM2 = 1676 FU's

edit: this is for the initial strip. Two additional strips were harvested. This also assumes 34 FU from 1676 grafts. I don't think that's accurate. Should be more like 54 FU. 

Ok, I misunderstood I thought that meant for the 3 strips combined.

Nevertheless it seems astounding to have taken 3 strips during 1 procedure. I suppose I "could" understand another one if the first one didn't yield enough grafts, but why induce even more scarring with a third and not take the necessary number in the second?

Everything is perplexing in your case, I am sorry you are going through this.

I will say though since you have fine hair, a second pass would probably have been necessary anyway to achieve the required density on your hairline. It is common for patients with finer hair transplanting on bald areas. Still though, the discrepancy in counted grafts vs what was claimed to have been implanted is worrisome. 

I don't know how it works generally, but when I had my FUE, the doctor was counting the grafts while the extractions were taking place, and I was awake during the whole procedure so I knew I was getting what was claimed. The same for when they were being implanted, they were counted and I was conscious to follow along. 

9 minutes ago, asterix0 said:

Ok, I misunderstood I thought that meant for the 3 strips combined.

Nevertheless it seems astounding to have taken 3 strips during 1 procedure. I suppose I "could" understand another one if the first one didn't yield enough grafts, but why induce even more scarring with a third and not take the necessary number in the second?

Everything is perplexing in your case, I am sorry you are going through this.

I will say though since you have fine hair, a second pass would probably have been necessary anyway to achieve the required density on your hairline. It is common for patients with finer hair transplanting on bald areas. Still though, the discrepancy in counted grafts vs what was claimed to have been implanted is worrisome. 

Pretty sure it wasn’t 2 more separate strips, just making the initial one longer on the sides, going closer to ears 

• Moderators
1 minute ago, JoeD said:

Pretty sure it wasn’t 2 more separate strips, just making the initial one longer on the sides, going closer to ears 

Right. The FUT strip was in the back. They didn’t get enough grafts so he extended the strip from both ends. 

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Hello everyone. 

Bluebird, 

I'm not sure what more I can say or add at this point. As I have been explaining and demonstrating to you for the past 3 months, your belief that you only received 1,700 grafts is simply untrue. You did, in fact, receive 2,700 grafts and I even went back in and extended the original length of the strip to ensure we achieved -- and even exceeded -- the quoted number of grafts. All of the other comments about things you believe may have been "off" or untoward about your procedure are, again, simply untrue. I have invited you back to the office many times so we can review all of this in-person; I still not only strongly recommend and encourage you to come in, but I will also (with that patient's permission) allow you to observe a live procedure and interact with the technicians and any observing doctors so you can see exactly what happens during an FUT case just like your own. You have declined these offers so far, but it stands in perpetuity. I will make myself and everything related to your case available at any time. 

I know you have now posted your concerns throughout the internet for other patients to review as well, but I further invite you to visit other reputable hair transplant doctors for a professional review of your case. You are more than welcome to put me on speaker phone during that visit should the doctor have any questions. I think you will find they agree with our assessment. Should you change your mind or find some time in your schedule and come to visit, you are more than welcome to video record the entire follow-up and put that online as well.

I did just finish reviewing everything related to your case a final time and put all my thoughts in a letter for your records.

Thank you, 

Dr. Blake Bloxham 

Feller & Bloxham Medical, PC 

• Like 4

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

4 minutes ago, Dr Blake Bloxham said:

Hello everyone. 

Bluebird, 

I'm not sure what more I can say or add at this point. As I have been explaining and demonstrating to you for the past 3 months, your belief that you only received 1,700 grafts is simply untrue. You did, in fact, receive 2,700 grafts and I even went back in and extended the original length of the strip to ensure we achieved -- and even exceeded -- the quoted number of grafts. All of the other comments about things you believe may have been "off" or untoward about your procedure are, again, simply untrue. I have invited you back to the office many times so we can review all of this in-person; I still not only strongly recommend and encourage you to come in, but I will also (with that patient's permission) allow you to observe a live procedure and interact with the technicians and any observing doctors so you can see exactly what happens during an FUT case just like your own. You have declined these offers so far, but it stands in perpetuity. I will make myself and everything related to your case available at any time. 

I know you have now posted your concerns throughout the internet for other patients to review as well, but I further invite you to visit other reputable hair transplant doctors for a professional review of your case. You are more than welcome to put me on speaker phone during that visit should the doctor have any questions. I think you will find they agree with our assessment. Should you change your mind or find some time in your schedule and come to visit, you are more than welcome to video record the entire follow-up and put that online as well.

I did just finish reviewing everything related to your case a final time and put all my thoughts in a letter for your records.

Thank you, 

Dr. Blake Bloxham 

Feller & Bloxham Medical, PC 

Dr. Bloxham,

Thank you for responding. However, my main concern, the discrepancy in the number of grafts, remains unaddressed. There is a consensus here that only 1700 grafts were implanted during my procedure, contradicting the reported 2700 grafts. Additionally, I have yet to receive a clear explanation about the operating room report, specifically who the other surgeon operating alongside you was, and what happened to the 1000 grafts that were apparently not implanted. This lack of clarity and direct communication compels me to express my concerns publicly. I must also clarify that I have never been invited to observe a surgery before today, nor do I have any desire to witness one conducted by you. My primary aim is to understand the specifics of my case, which, as it currently stands, is baffling and unresolved. Again, my questions have not been addressed. Could you please respond to the questions in my initial post?

4 minutes ago, bluebird00 said:

Dr. Bloxham,

Thank you for responding. However, my main concern, the discrepancy in the number of grafts, remains unaddressed. There is a consensus here that only 1700 grafts were implanted during my procedure, contradicting the reported 2700 grafts. Additionally, I have yet to receive a clear explanation about the operating room report, specifically who the other surgeon operating alongside you was, and what happened to the 1000 grafts that were apparently not implanted. This lack of clarity and direct communication compels me to express my concerns publicly. I must also clarify that I have never been invited to observe a surgery before today, nor do I have any desire to witness one conducted by you. My primary aim is to understand the specifics of my case, which, as it currently stands, is baffling and unresolved. Again, my questions have not been addressed. Could you please respond to the questions in my initial post?

Unfortunately I cannot direct message you. But was there really someone else working on your head other than Blake? I’m not shocked 

Just now, Chair said:

Unfortunately I cannot direct message you. But was there really someone else working on your head other than Blake? I’m not shocked 

Yes.. I believe it was Dr. Powell, though I'm not certain.

• Thanks 1

• Administrators
38 minutes ago, bluebird00 said:

Dr. Bloxham,

I think you need to be very careful about getting a consensus from anonymous posters on a forum. Just because an anonymous user says “doesn’t look like _grafts” doesn’t make it true. If you have a legitimate discrepancy. The best way forward is to consult with another top hair restoration physician. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Chair said:

Can you send me a DM? 

You need to reach 10 posts before your dm is activated. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Melvin- Admin said:

You need to reach 10 posts before your dm is activated. 

Ah ok thanks!  I’m guessing that if someone messages me, I won’t be able to receive it or respond? Been a member since 2016 when I was doing my procedure, now that I’m looking and doing much more research than before, I’m back. 

Edited by Chair

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Melvin- Admin said:

I think you need to be very careful about getting a consensus from anonymous posters on a forum. Just because an anonymous user says “doesn’t look like _grafts” doesn’t make it true. If you have a legitimate discrepancy. The best way forward is to consult with another top hair restoration physician. 

Thank you for your input, Melvin. Let's not dismiss the evidence I have presented or the opinions of 'random' users, especially Britanium, a moderator here, who stated, "3 strips taken in one procedure 😳 no, that's far from usual," and "I'm unsure, but I will say I definitely don't think it's 2700 from what I can see."

We are no longer in the '70s, where photographic evidence was blurry and limited to Polaroids. I have provided high-resolution photos documenting every stage of my journey, from the day of surgery, clearly showing all the implanted grafts, to the subsequent days, weeks, months, and years, up until January 2024. Given the undeniable visibility and countability of the grafts in these images, it's rational to assert that the actual number of implanted grafts significantly contradicts the claimed 2700. This isn’t just an online speculation, it’s a fact supported by clear, photographic evidence. Furthermore, Dr. Blake Bloxham has not adequately addressed the operating room report and has failed to answer my questions. His lack of participation in this public discussion, and the nature of his replies, come off as empty, insulting, and unprofessional.

Edit:

Correction: Britanium is a senior member, not a moderator. 

Edited by bluebird00
  • Like 5

30 minutes ago, bluebird00 said:

Thank you for your input, Melvin. Let's not dismiss the evidence I have presented or the opinions of 'random' users, especially Britanium, a moderator here, who stated, "3 strips taken in one procedure 😳 no, that's far from usual," and "I'm unsure, but I will say I definitely don't think it's 2700 from what I can see."

We are no longer in the '70s, where photographic evidence was blurry and limited to Polaroids. I have provided high-resolution photos documenting every stage of my journey, from the day of surgery, clearly showing all the implanted grafts, to the subsequent days, weeks, months, and years, up until January 2024. Given the undeniable visibility and countability of the grafts in these images, it's rational to assert that the actual number of implanted grafts significantly contradicts the claimed 2700. This isn’t just an online speculation, it’s a fact supported by clear, photographic evidence. Furthermore, Dr. Blake Bloxham has not adequately addressed the operating room report and has failed to answer my questions. His lack of participation in this public discussion, and the nature of his replies, come off as empty, insulting, and unprofessional.

Edit:

I am a "anonymous" senior member, who's been here about 12 years, seen 1000s of procedures and that was just my own opinion/thoughts. Definitely don't take mine or anyone's speculation on just how many grafts this might be though. Get another Dr's opnion, preferably in person of that's at all possible. I stand by my guesstimate that's its less, I also agree that the Dr's reply was inadequate since you asked specific questions and they were not answered. Personally I think you're concerns are valid, but I'm just a self professed armchair expert in the penaut gallery it seems. 

• Like 9

3 hours ago, bluebird00 said:

Edit:

as soon as I can DM you I will. Are your DM’s activated? 

• Administrators
16 hours ago, bluebird00 said:

Edit:

I respect our senior members opinion and valued contributors. However, opinions based on photos from forum users is not something you want to stick and run with. You need to consult with another physician. Go in person, if they agree with you. Take Dr. Bloxham up on his offer and call him. I believe the best way forward is having an open line of communication. What are your ultimate goals? How can Dr. Bloxham meet these goals? 

View my thread

6 hours ago, Melvin- Admin said:

I respect our senior members opinion and valued contributors. However, opinions based on photos from forum users is not something you want to stick and run with. You need to consult with another physician. Go in person, if they agree with you. Take Dr. Bloxham up on his offer and call him. I believe the best way forward is having an open line of communication. What are your ultimate goals? How can Dr. Bloxham meet these goals? 

To answer your question, I need two things:

First, an explanation for the misconduct surrounding my surgery:

Who was the other doctor who operated on me without my consent?
Where are the missing grafts? Based on the combined area of the donor strips (59 cm²), I should have had at least 4000 grafts extracted. So, where are they?
Why were three strips taken, and why was my surgery extended to 11 hours, which is twice the normal duration?
Dr. Bloxham told me at the time of surgery that 1700 grafts were transplanted, as supported by all my photographic evidence. So, why did I have to pay for 2700 grafts?
Why is Dr. Bloxham avoiding discussing my case, both in private (he has avoided transcribing his own handwriting in my OR report, which is just bizarre) and now publicly?

Second, a full refund. I feel completely violated and used as a training tool by Dr. Bloxham, seemingly for practice by another doctor and likely by other technicians. I can only believe that the misconduct of my surgery is due to this, and thus a full refund is in order.