When is an FUT scar “safe” from stretching?

At what point in time would you consider an FUT scar safe from significant stretching? Let’s say it looks good, pencil thin, at around 6 weeks post op? When is someone out of the Wds?

Edited by JoeD

52 minutes ago, JoeD said:

At what point in time would you consider an FUT scar safe from significant stretching? Let’s say it looks good, pencil thin, at around 6 weeks post op? When is someone out of the Wds?

For the first 6 months after surgery you need to avoid any activities that may cause the scar to stretch. After that you are safe

• Thanks 1

I recently had a FUT and was advised for the first three months not to engage in any activities that may put pressure on the scar and, therefore, cause it to stretch. For instance, no heavy lifting in the gym, such as squats, bench presses, or deadlifts, and avoid activities like sit-ups.

• Thanks 1

Where it was taken as in how low, how it was closed, depth of it, width taken and how hard was it to close and your natural laxity etc all play a part but the first 3 months as said here really take it easy while tensile strength comes back and then gradually get into the usual routine. 

• Thanks 1

There are plenty of exercises that you can start doing 2-3 weeks after surgery. The important thing I tell my patients to avoid for 3 months after a hair transplant procedure is not to hyperflex the neck. In other words do not try to touch your chin to your chest. I think that mild flexion like using your phone or typing on a computer is ok . Over flexion of the neck causes contraction of the trapezius muscle( shoulder ) which can pull downwards and possible stretch the scar out. 

• Like 1

Thank you!

I am about six weeks out and it is still nice and thin, max about a sharpie marker line. Really hoping it stays that way. 

Edited by JoeD

On 2/16/2024 at 3:07 AM, JoeD said:

Thank you!

I am about six weeks out and it is still nice and thin, max about a sharpie marker line. Really hoping it stays that way. 

Do you have any photos or is difficult to capture? It would be great to see how an FUT scar heals 

On 2/14/2024 at 3:12 AM, JoeD said:

I started workout at 1 month after my FUT but my scar was very sensitive... I think you need to be very attentive to your feelings at least for 3 months...

Minoxidil : 5% topical 1ml/day
Follicular androgen receptor inhibitor : {Fluridil + CosmeRNA}
Exosome Mesotherapy 1mm (See here for explanations & results) :
ASCE+ HRLV

1 minute ago, arthurSam said:

I started workout at 1 month after my FUT but my scar was very sensitive... I think you need to be very attentive to your feelings at least for 3 months...

Thanks. This was my 2nd FUT.  first scar was mostly about 2mm, a few spots about 4mm.  Started lifting 1 month out, cardio at 2 weeks last time. I’m being extra cautious this time. Left staples in a full 3 weeks. I’d be thrilled if scar ended up like my pics above. Shock loss continues to resolve and almost completely hidden with 3 guard. 

• 1 month later...

About 3 months out now.  Scar still pretty good size (1-3mm all around) getting much lighter in color.  When I lift things (ie luggage, kid) or squeeze something firmly like a hammer handle, I still get a mild sensitivity in back of head over scar. Lasts few mins to an hour.  Normal at this stage?

From what I've seen, scars tend to settle down and mature with time. Usually, after around 6 months to a year, they stabilize and aren't as likely to stretch significantly.

On 3/29/2024 at 2:23 PM, Esper said:

From what I've seen, scars tend to settle down and mature with time. Usually, after around 6 months to a year, they stabilize and aren't as likely to stretch significantly.

6-12 months? I’ve never heard more than 6, most say 3, as per prior answers.  I do find it interesting that some FUT docs rec 10-14 days- when staples come out (Feller & Bloxham). 

re my sensitivity Q above re activity at 3 months.  A sign to back off or not really of concern? Still gonna hold off deadlifting, squatting etc til 6 months. 

Posted (edited)
On 2/16/2024 at 3:05 AM, Dr. Glenn Charles said:

There are plenty of exercises that you can start doing 2-3 weeks after surgery. The important thing I tell my patients to avoid for 3 months after a hair transplant procedure is not to hyperflex the neck. In other words do not try to touch your chin to your chest. I think that mild flexion like using your phone or typing on a computer is ok . Over flexion of the neck causes contraction of the trapezius muscle( shoulder ) which can pull downwards and possible stretch the scar out. 

Great info. Could lying in bed at night flat / slightly reclined with your laptop or phone essentially do the same? Chin to chest almost....

Edited by HairFunk

• Moderators
21 hours ago, JoeD said:

6-12 months? I’ve never heard more than 6, most say 3, as per prior answers.  I do find it interesting that some FUT docs rec 10-14 days- when staples come out (Feller & Bloxham). 

re my sensitivity Q above re activity at 3 months.  A sign to back off or not really of concern? Still gonna hold off deadlifting, squatting etc til 6 months. 

The staples need to come out within about 2 weeks or else they can end up leaving permanent marks at the staple holes.

As far as the pain along the scar line, that tends to be normal for FUT procedures. It can take a long time for the nerve endings to completely heal to where it doesn’t hurt during stress. 

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the info re continued sensitivity at scar line with more strenuous activity. I guess just looking for some reassurance that it’s still normal. Does not appear to have stretched.

re the 10-14 days, sorry I wasn’t clear, I meant some docs (Feller/Bloxham) advise full activity is ok at that point vs some saying 3-6 months to minimize risk of scar stretching

Edited by JoeD

Everyone's healing journey is different. I'd say you're probably in the clear when the scar feels less sensitive and has settled into its groove, but that might take a few months or even longer.

• Moderators
19 hours ago, JoeD said:

Thanks for the info re continued sensitivity at scar line with more strenuous activity. I guess just looking for some reassurance that it’s still normal. Does not appear to have stretched.

re the 10-14 days, sorry I wasn’t clear, I meant some docs (Feller/Bloxham) advise full activity is ok at that point vs some saying 3-6 months to minimize risk of scar stretching

There are two things going on here.

First is when can you be active at a normal level without breaking open the scar. When I had FUT surgeries I usually had the sutures removed at day 11. That's what they suggested. Sometimes it would be day 12 or 13 depending on the day of the week it ends up on. I always waited another day or two before doing anything strenuous to make sure the scar was completely closed and didn't break open since there was nothing holding it closed after the sutures are removed. That's your 14 day period where you are OK do do any activities past that point.

Second is scar stretching. Although you can do most activities after 14 days, there is still a chance the scar will stretch over the next few months. To reduce the chance of that you should avoid any activities that will stretch the back of your neck. That is usually suggested to be from 3 to 6 months.

• Thanks 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.