Head Numb. 4 months.

Hi All,

Ive Teslas a few stories about numbness but most people don’t mention it. Just curious if you have numbness after 4 months?

I'm currently at 4 months and the entire recipient area is numb. Still feels like I have a helmet on. 

This doesn't seem to be too uncommon, so I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm nearly 6 months post-op now and still have a little bit of numbness. About a 1" circle at the very top of my scalp, just behind my recipient area, is still completely numb. Nerves are weird.

• Like 1

Please direct medical questions to medical professionals.

NW3, Dr. Rahal, FUE, 3,000 grafts, Summer 2023

1 hour ago, Cooper48 said:

Hi All,

Ive Teslas a few stories about numbness but most people don’t mention it. Just curious if you have numbness after 4 months?

I'm currently at 4 months and the entire recipient area is numb. Still feels like I have a helmet on. 

I would see a doctor to be honest. 

Numbness is not normal 4 months post op.

It could be nothing, or it could be permanent nerve damage. Dont let random strangers on the internet decide if this is worth getting checked out or not. 

Edited by HappyMan2021
  • Like 1

• Valued Contributor

It's not uncommon for numbness to linger a while, though I will say that 4 months seems a long time, and across your entire recipient area is odd. If you'd said you had the odd little spot still numb after 4 months, that would be one thing. I've not heard of anyone say they still had that level of numbness across the their recipient this long afterwards. You may be totally fine soon enough though, but maybe worth seeking an expert opinion in the meantime if it's concerning you. I'd certainly speak with my surgeon and see what they say - it may be more common than we realise.

• Moderators

I had my first hair transplant in 1989. 35 years later most of my recipient area is still numb. I stopped thinking about it many years ago.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

I strongly recommend contacting your surgeon about it.  Cases of nerve damage very much can occur in the recipient area, more so with less experienced or lesser skilled surgeons.  Overall I think it's a lot more common than online will show, but many don't even notice or just aren't bothered by it.

Sensation going back until the vertex area is all from 'trunks'  of nerves stemming from the 'eyebrow zone'. I.e. damaging the main nerve trunks will also damage all the nerves branching off it. 

Whether it's permanent or not is another issue. It depends on whether the nerves have been damaged versus completely severed. 

I went to an inexperienced surgeon who made very low incisions which created complete numbness going back for about 6-7 months.  Since then I've had very slow but sure recovery of sensation. I consulted with a dermatologist who was used to doing skin cancer removals, with his knowledge of the nervous system, since there has been a small degree of recovery he said to expect it to recover completely over the next few years. Sensory nerves are resilient and tenacious. 

If it's 100% numb at say 7 months, that might point to severed nerves. 

Take from that what you will, I'm not a doctor but I'd say this warrants medical supervision. 

On 1/22/2024 at 2:51 AM, HappyMan2021 said:

I would see a doctor to be honest. 

Numbness is not normal 4 months post op.

It could be nothing, or it could be permanent nerve damage. Dont let random strangers on the internet decide if this is worth getting checked out or not. 

correct me if im wrong but there is nothing a doctor can actually do in that case other then tell you to wait

32 minutes ago, mr_peanutbutter said:

correct me if im wrong but there is nothing a doctor can actually do in that case other then tell you to wait

Correct, my numbness didn’t disappear completely until around 12 months 

• Valued Contributor

Its not uncommon that the numbness is lingering till 4 months..i have seen some patients who had numbness till 6/7 months post op...i myself had some numbness lingering at some spots till around 5 months post op..though its always wise to take opinion of your surgeon and he/she should be the primary source of advice you should follow.

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

Thanks @A_4_Archan!  I'm more just curious at this point how many people experience this and not too worried.  I 'll ask Dr. Laorwong in a couple months if I don't get any improvement. 

• 2 months later...

I was at Lupanzula over 2 years ago and always have 2 numb spots that feel electric when touched, even on the tonsure where nothing has been done. I don't think it will heal, after my first hair mill operation I had no nerve problems at all.?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

This is strange, perhaps some sort of nerve. Have you spoken to the clinic about this?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I am at 3 months post-op and I still have some numbness. It has definitely gotten better compared to how it was immediately after the surgery. 
Per my doc, it could take about 6 months or so for all the nerves to heal and numbness to go away. At around 3 months post-op i feel i have 50% numbness issue resolved…so expecting it to be 100% at 6 months mark…but then…everyone is different.

In any case, definitely speak with your doctor, especially, if there is no improvement in 4 months. 

12.5k grafts with Dr. Felipe Pitella in Jan 2024.

Link to my journey:

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/71724-12501-grafts-dr-felipe-pittella-jan-2024/