Question for the group re consultation

Hi gang. I don't post that often on here. However, I have been a frequent visitor on here.

Today I saw a surgeon in my City who does FUE work. He had a look at my scalp and donor(Norwood 6) but they only offered 2500-3000 grafts in total (doesn't use beards/neck/body hair). I like his work generally but was hoping for at least 5000 grafts (will probably need about 8000 grafts in total). He did suggest coming back after 9 months for a second transplant. Most of his work is lower numbers.

Wonder if it is worth signing up or look for larger FUE sessions (but will have to wait). The surgeon warned about higher graft surgeries because I am older (past 50).

Look forward to feedback from everyone.

Thanks.

G

• Valued Contributor

How many grafts did he think he could get from your scalp in total over the course of two or three sittings?

If he can get enough over the course of a few sessions and you like his work and he has plenty of higher NW cases, then that’s a perfectly good strategy. 

However, if he doesn’t think he can get what you need overall and doesn’t supplement with beard hair or offer FUT then you might want to speak with some of the top higher NW guys. 

• Valued Contributor
13 hours ago, Spiritmale said:

Hi gang. I don't post that often on here. However, I have been a frequent visitor on here.

Today I saw a surgeon in my City who does FUE work. He had a look at my scalp and donor(Norwood 6) but they only offered 2500-3000 grafts in total (doesn't use beards/neck/body hair). I like his work generally but was hoping for at least 5000 grafts (will probably need about 8000 grafts in total). He did suggest coming back after 9 months for a second transplant. Most of his work is lower numbers.

Wonder if it is worth signing up or look for larger FUE sessions (but will have to wait). The surgeon warned about higher graft surgeries because I am older (past 50).

Look forward to feedback from everyone.

Thanks.

G

When you are a Norwood 6 and 7 you are limited to a handful of elite surgeons who constantly turn out excellent results. A surgeon who says he/she can only get a total of 2,500 - 3,000 grafts and can’t utilize beard grafts is a huge red flag. Sadly many surgeons show results that I have seen on Norwood 6 patients that they knew they could never cover the moment the first punch was made. This is for life so you really need to look at results from this forum posted by real patients who were Norwood 6/7. You’ll start to find a pattern in the doctors chosen. All the best @Spiritmale

• Like 2

• Valued Contributor
13 minutes ago, Spiritmale said:

It seems like 2500/3000 is a common top end of grafts for a lot of FUE procedures. 

Which, again, is totally fine as long as you have enough grafts over the course of 3 procedures to get full coverage. 

But from what you’re saying, it doesn’t sound like this particular surgeon is confident of getting full coverage for you - especially as they don’t do beard grafts as well. Have they measured your area of hairloss and given a pretty clear idea of how many grafts you would need to cover all areas of the scalp? Have you been told what your donor capacity is? It’s all just maths at the end of the day. 

Would be good if you could share photos so we can see what’s going on. 

• Valued Contributor
10 minutes ago, Spiritmale said:

He said that the donor hair was usable, but most of his procedures are under 3000 grafts 

That’s a bit vague and doesn’t really answer any of my questions.

1. How many grafts do you need to cover your NW6?

2. How many donor grafts do you have available in total?

If you’ve not been told these things then it’s a red flag. Absolutely critical to know these numbers otherwise it’s impossible to create a plan. 

• Valued Contributor
49 minutes ago, Spiritmale said:

I estimate that 8000 will do the trick. I have no idea how many grafts that I can offer from my scalp. Maybe 5-6k?

So this surgeon that you consulted with didn't tell you how many grafts you needed and didn't say what your donor capacity was? Did they not take measurements and do a careful assessment of your donor to tell you more or less what they could take in total across all sessions? If not, I've no idea why you'd consider going with them.

Typically you need approximately 1000 grafts per NW level, but that's also heavily dependent on hair type, size of the head and other considerations.

They took a look at my scalp, drew a 1/2 inch lower hairline and said that he could do 2.5-3k grafts. He is one of the few surgeons in my city with extensive surgery experience 

Edited by Spiritmale

• Valued Contributor
1 hour ago, Spiritmale said:

They took a look at my scalp, drew a 1/2 lower hairline and said that he could do 2.5-3k grafts. He is one of the few surgeons in my city with extensive surgery experience 

So the answer is 'no' then, he didn't give you a breakdown of what's needed to cover your areas of loss and a plan of action for achieving it.

Who is this surgeon?

He has been mentioned in other posts on here so don’t want to say - I think that the conversation was not very comprehensive since right off the bat, the fit wasn’t there

Edited by Spiritmale

At HDC clinic we specialize in giga sessions over 6000 grafts in a single visit, however this can be done for candidates with strong donor in 3 days surgey.

Will be better if you can share photos, in average donor we can harvest around 3500-4000 grafts in a single session then do 2nd procedure for the crown after 7-8 months result of 1st procedure.

You can check reviews on HDC regarding NW6 candidates with both strong and weak donor with optimum results.

You're welcome to contact my WhatsApp for consultation with the clinic.

Doron Harati - Patient coordinator for HDC Hair Clinic, HT procedures are done by MD Doctors with Microscope FUE.

For consultation contact me: WhatsApp +972526542654

Mail:doronhdc@gmail.com

HDC Instegram: https://instagram.com/doronhairadvisor_hdc?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

* All comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice, all comments are only the personal opinions of the poster.

• Valued Contributor
44 minutes ago, Spiritmale said:

He has been mentioned in other posts on here so don’t want to say

And? I don't understand why him having been mentioned on the forum elsewhere would mean you don't want to say who you had a consultation with. Can you elaborate?

It's up to you, but it's a bit strange to not name a surgeon that you simply had a consultation with. It's not some grand secret worthy of keeping and the real value of this forum is through the transparency of it's participants.

• 3 months later...

I had an in person consultation with him also and i have many years of research on Ht s and been to many clinics and yes i left there  preplexed

He doesnt answer many   questions and didnt even look at my donor area until i asked him to check it out it was a weird experience

But his clinic does produce very good results there are many if you research it so i m on the fence on this one lol