Are smaller FUE procedures more successful?

• Administrators

I think fewer things can go wrong in smaller procedures. There are fewer variables like fatigue. However, some clinics consistently get good results using extensive mega sessions. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Valued Contributor
1 hour ago, RTC said:

As the title suggests, is there any evidence to suggest that smaller FUE procedures (500 grafts or less) are any more successful than larger procedures in terms of yield?

Scientifically it should be better ...but doctors like pittela and zarev are consistently proving all those theories wrong.

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

It depends heavily from the clinic i think. If they are doing this small procedures in order to take their time and do the extractions carefully then yes. Nowadays most clinics can do 1500 grafts per day though and still be able to achieve maximal graft survival.

11 hours ago, RTC said:

As the title suggests, is there any evidence to suggest that smaller FUE procedures (500 grafts or less) are any more successful than larger procedures in terms of yield?

You can also watch tis podcast:

39 minutes ago, Gramatik said:

Various clinics do very big fue sessions without problem at all. For example Dr pittella is doing 6000 grafts with fue per day and he has consistent good results...so it depends on the clinic. 

6000 grafts per fue in one day is not recommended. Its not only that the growth rate will be poor, but this is dangerous for the patient too.

1 hour ago, jjalay said:

6000 grafts per fue in one day is not recommended. Its not only that the growth rate will be poor, but this is dangerous for the patient too.

As i said @Dr. Felipe Pittella is doing 6000 grafts per day (12.000 grafts in a 2 day session) without problem at all. He has high yield rates and there's not any danger for his patients. So it depends on the clinic, some clinics are able to do that without problem while others cant do it.

2 minutes ago, Gramatik said:

As i said @Dr. Felipe Pittella is doing 6000 grafts per day (12.000 grafts in a 2 day session) without problem at all. He has high yield rates and there's not any danger for his patients. So it depends on the clinic, some clinics are able to do that without problem while others cant do it.

Regardless who the doctor is i would not want to have a surgery with 6000 grafts in one day. It is not safe. If the doctor is that good he want have any problem to split the surgery in two or three days.

3 hours ago, jjalay said:

Regardless who the doctor is i would not want to have a surgery with 6000 grafts in one day. It is not safe. If the doctor is that good he want have any problem to split the surgery in two or three days.

It depends on the clinic, like i said. Some clinics know how to do it without problem while others are not able to do it.

here is an example of Dr Zarev with 8300 grafts in a 2 day session...He got a great result without any risk.

Example from @Dr. Felipe Pittella with 6744 grafts harvested in just one day. Again without any problem. And he has many other examples with similar number of grafts in just one day. or 10.000-12.000 grafts in a 2 day session.

Another 6975 grafts surgery in just ONE day from Dr Pittella. great result without any problem...

Edited by Gramatik

If I hadn’t gone to an elite surgeon I would have felt worried about doing a mega session as my first session. I have had friends go to other surgeons with some subpar results. Unfortunate situations. 

3 hours ago, Gramatik said:

...He got a great result without any risk

Unfortunately there is no such thing as a 'no risk' surgery.  All you are seeing are the ones that turned out good.

No doctor will voluteer to tell you of the bad ones where only 20% of 5000 grafts actually grew.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

2 hours ago, 1978matt said:

Unfortunately there is no such thing as a 'no risk' surgery.  All you are seeing are the ones that turned out good.

No doctor will voluteer to tell you of the bad ones where only 20% of 5000 grafts actually grew.

I know that clinics will hide their bad results and show only the good ones. We all know that there a significant percentage of failed procedures from all clinics...

I am a bit Skeptical with mega and giga sessions because of blood supply etc! But no doubt the results that i have seen of Zarev and Pitella are super good ! Regards

Edited by omarca