Topical finasteride

Yabala

Hello. I'm going to be using topical finasteride soon and l have got some questions.  1- What is the safest protocol to avoid side effects ? ( it seems Melvin talked bout it in his videos) 2- What is the safest protocol to avoid side effects if I want to conceive children ? Thanks 

• Valued Contributor

Hi @Yabala. I developed sexual side effects on oral Finasteride after several attempts over a couple of years. From taking it at 1mg a day to microdosing. I have been prescribed 0.25% topical Finasteride and have yet to develop sexual side effects. Now it could be that the dose has not gone systemic for some reason. It’s also messy to apply at night like minoxidil but it’s worth it. Having said that I would highly encourage you to ensure you wash your hands thoroughly after applying it. All the best. 

13 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

Hi @Yabala. I developed sexual side effects on oral Finasteride after several attempts over a couple of years. From taking it at 1mg a day to microdosing. I have been prescribed 0.25% topical Finasteride and have yet to develop sexual side effects. Now it could be that the dose has not gone systemic for some reason. It’s also messy to apply at night like minoxidil but it’s worth it. Having said that I would highly encourage you to ensure you wash your hands thoroughly after applying it. All the best. 

Thanks for the details 

51 minutes ago, Yabala said:

Hello. I'm going to be using topical finasteride soon and l have got some questions.  1- What is the safest protocol to avoid side effects ? ( it seems Melvin talked bout it in his videos) 2- What is the safest protocol to avoid side effects if I want to conceive children ? Thanks 

Hi friend, i tried the HIMS version of topical finasteride and Minox for about a month, applied it once daily at night. On day 2 of applying it i felt some sides but carried on with it hoping things would stop. Unfortunately, didn’t stop after a month and gave it up. I agree with the above it is messy and can be a bit of a pain in the ar$e to apply. Anyhow, i guess it depends on the individual. I’m now taking 0.5mg oral finasteride and so far i seem to react better. 

To answer your questions, i dont think there is a right or wrong answer it would probably depend on how your body reacts to it. Stay in touch with your prescriber and tell them if you feel any sides, is my advice. 

10 minutes ago, UKLad81 said:

Hi friend, i tried the HIMS version of topical finasteride and Minox for about a month, applied it once daily at night. On day 2 of applying it i felt some sides but carried on with it hoping things would stop. Unfortunately, didn’t stop after a month and gave it up. I agree with the above it is messy and can be a bit of a pain in the ar$e to apply. Anyhow, i guess it depends on the individual. I’m now taking 0.5mg oral finasteride and so far i seem to react better. 

To answer your questions, i dont think there is a right or wrong answer it would probably depend on how your body reacts to it. Stay in touch with your prescriber and tell them if you feel any sides, is my advice. 

Thanks man for the details 

• Administrators

The dosage doesn’t matter as much as the vehicle. If you’re in the US, Xyon is what I use. If you’re in Europe, check our Farmacia Parati. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

7 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

The dosage doesn’t matter as much as the vehicle. If you’re in the US, Xyon is what I use. If you’re in Europe, check our Farmacia Parati. 

Thanks Melvin for the details. I'm in Europe actually, l was aslo thinking about the pharmacy Darwin in Belgium, Do you know something about it?

Edited by Yabala

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, Yabala said:

Thanks Melvin for the details. I'm in Europe actually, l was aslo thinking about the pharmacy Darwin in Belgium, Do you know something about it?

I don’t know about them, but what is their vehicle? In my opinion, a silicone based liposomal vehicle is best because it suspends the drug on your scalp, and it absorbs very slowly.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

On 9/13/2023 at 6:45 PM, Melvin- Moderator said:

I don’t know about them, but what is their vehicle? In my opinion, a silicone based liposomal vehicle is best because it suspends the drug on your scalp, and it absorbs very slowly.

They use a silicone based liposomal vehicle for finasteride gel and they use trichosol for topical finasteride in spray. I'm going to be using topical finasteride in spray with trichosol because they told me that topical finasteride with trichosol will stay on the scalp and won't be that systemic. 

It’s a question I ask myself.

I think I am going to stop oral fin and start topical Minoxidil when I want to conceive. Finasteride has been fantastic for my sex life but I don’t think it would be great for child. There have been some posters claiming on a Facebook group they fathered children WHILE using Finasteride but idk, seems too risky.

Hopefully minoxidil can keep my transplanted hairs from falling out. 

• Valued Contributor

I think if you start Minoxidil a lot least a good 3-4 months before you begin to start a family you should be fine. It’s interesting because several people I know have stayed that their libido went up on Finasteride. All the best! 

18 hours ago, Yabala said:

They use a silicone based liposomal vehicle for finasteride gel and they use trichosol for topical finasteride in spray. I'm going to be using topical finasteride in spray with trichosol because they told me that topical finasteride with trichosol will stay on the scalp and won't be that systemic. 

what is the difference between liposomal and trichosol?

i think xyon and parati work with liposomal which is like a gel. they use it with duta though because the duta molecul is somehow bigger and goes less systematic?

most of the studies with topical finasteride are done with topical finasteride solution based on propylene glycol / ethanol basis right?

personally my experience with these stuff is:

- 1 selfmade topical solution where i tried to mix a 0.025% solution myself, using proscar tablets and stemoxydine. then it was a big mess with the filler, tried to filter everything out, i lost a lot of stemoxydine in the process and ended up adding water to it, which was a big mistake. the stuff just run straight down to my head. odly enough i also ended up having side effects such as a super watery sperm and super weak erections for a couple of days after 1 single use which is odd because

- i dont get noticable sideeffects except a bit dry eyes from using oral finasteride (propecia though, not proscar)

- topical duta lipo. no side effects at all, not even dry eyes. since there are no real studies on it i fear it might wont work at all

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Yabala said:

Pharmacy Darwin from Bruxelles told me that trichosol is the vehicle they use for not going systemic. 

thats a bold claim. i think minimizing maybe is possible, but not entering the blood stream sounds too good to be true

• Administrators

There’s no drug that doesn’t enter your system. Dutasteride does penetrate contrary to what Reddit says. But certain vehicles slow down the absorption.

View my thread

On 9/13/2023 at 12:42 PM, Gatsby said:

What base do you use and where do you get it from?

On 9/25/2023 at 8:46 PM, Gatsby said:

I have it compounded at Sinclair Dermatology. It's whatever Prof Rodney Sinclair prescribes.

hi Gatsby, any thoughts on what makes his topical fin different than others to cause less absorption? 

• Valued Contributor
25 minutes ago, 12345 said:

hi Gatsby, any thoughts on what makes his topical fin different than others to cause less absorption? 

To be honest I would have to ask him at my next appointment. Used regularly it will still be going systemic but I can’t explain my tolerance to this topical version. I tried oral Finasteride many times at varying doses but by two months my libido just disappeared. 

• Administrators

It’s impossible to have a topical not absorb to some degree. I think the threshold is different for everyone, which is why some tolerate certain topicals and others don’t. 

• Like 1

View my thread

6 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

To be honest I would have to ask him at my next appointment. Used regularly it will still be going systemic but I can’t explain my tolerance to this topical version. I tried oral Finasteride many times at varying doses but by two months my libido just disappeared. 

how often do you use? do u buy it in the clinic or it it shipped?

On 9/28/2023 at 2:31 AM, Melvin- Moderator said:

It’s impossible to have a topical not absorb to some degree. I think the threshold is different for everyone, which is why some tolerate certain topicals and others don’t. 

Yes you're right

On 9/13/2023 at 9:42 PM, Gatsby said:

Hey Gatsby I see you only take it once at night I also on topical 0.1 twice daily but I hate taking it in the mourning. Do you reckon it’s just as effective I go to 0.25 at night only? Cheers