Topical Dutasteride Symptom Reversal Time

4Godot

Hi, just wondering if people generally take longer to get back to normal/ reverse side effects from stopping dutasteride (topical or pill) than with finasteride? I know it stays in the system much longer.

I have had loss of libido and other typical sides with finasteride (topical and pill), I've stopped and started treatment a few times, each time after about 2 weeks I start to get back to normal and after about a month all sides appear gone. Recently tried xyon topical dutasteride and experienced similar sides (loss of libido, weaker erection, much lower volume of ejaculate). I've been off it about 2 weeks now but sides persisting. I assumed the recovery would be longer due to how long dutasteride stays in the system, but was curious what other people's experience of "recovery" time has been?

Thanks

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor

@4Godot

This will vary from person to person and also depends on the amount of drug build up in the body as many other individual factors....so i don't think you can get a proper answer to your question...you can just wait for some more time before the drug is totally out of the body and you will be back to normal ...

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

On 8/24/2023 at 12:46 PM, 4Godot said:

Hi, just wondering if people generally take longer to get back to normal/ reverse side effects from stopping dutasteride (topical or pill) than with finasteride? I know it stays in the system much longer.

I have had loss of libido and other typical sides with finasteride (topical and pill), I've stopped and started treatment a few times, each time after about 2 weeks I start to get back to normal and after about a month all sides appear gone. Recently tried xyon topical dutasteride and experienced similar sides (loss of libido, weaker erection, much lower volume of ejaculate). I've been off it about 2 weeks now but sides persisting. I assumed the recovery would be longer due to how long dutasteride stays in the system, but was curious what other people's experience of "recovery" time has been?

Thanks

I can tell you. I used a 0.1% from anagenica. One application shut me off for about 6 weeks. I am better but still not back to normal

1 minute ago, 12345 said:

About when into use did the sides kick in? 

Interesting, thanks for the feedback. I'd say the second week I started being aware of it, hard to say for sure with the psychosomatic aspect but you know when something starts kicking in.  I probably should have stuck with topical fin as at least I know those pass relatively quickly.  

Incidentally how was your experience with anagenica? Was gonna try their topical finasteride but having issues with their payment portal.

9 minutes ago, 4Godot said:

Interesting, thanks for the feedback. I'd say the second week I started being aware of it, hard to say for sure with the psychosomatic aspect but you know when something starts kicking in.  I probably should have stuck with topical fin as at least I know those pass relatively quickly.  

Incidentally how was your experience with anagenica? Was gonna try their topical finasteride but having issues with their payment portal.

it was between anagenic and xyon, but I went with the anagenica because it was a 0.1%, rather than the 2% xyon had. I figured starting at a smaller does made sense, to see if I had sides, and either increase the frequency of application (i had planned to use every 10 days) or try a higher strength every ten days. But i noticed sides a few days after my first application with the anagenica. I usually experience testicular pain when I use topical anti-androgens (fin, ewinlevia, nizoral), but with the dut, i did not experience that at all. It was difficulty getting erections, and a very weird sensation with ejaculation, as in it almost hurt to ejaculate, and a low ache in the head of my penis.

i was hoping to try xyon due to the whole, slow-release gel formula, and the fact that some forum members with sides from fin have been side effect-free on xyon, but hearing your story, makes me think that its hit or miss you will have sides, and in my case probably most likely a miss giving my sensitivity to anti androgens

11 minutes ago, 12345 said:

it was between anagenic and xyon, but I went with the anagenica because it was a 0.1%, rather than the 2% xyon had. I figured starting at a smaller does made sense, to see if I had sides, and either increase the frequency of application (i had planned to use every 10 days) or try a higher strength every ten days. But i noticed sides a few days after my first application with the anagenica. I usually experience testicular pain when I use topical anti-androgens (fin, ewinlevia, nizoral), but with the dut, i did not experience that at all. It was difficulty getting erections, and a very weird sensation with ejaculation, as in it almost hurt to ejaculate, and a low ache in the head of my penis.

i was hoping to try xyon due to the whole, slow-release gel formula, and the fact that some forum members with sides from fin have been side effect-free on xyon, but hearing your story, makes me think that its hit or miss you will have sides, and in my case probably most likely a miss giving my sensitivity to anti androgens

Right, i mean it does seem to work for some others for sure, I don't wanna put you off something that might be a solution for you, but to be honest the dosing of Xyon is very high, regardless of theories about absorption speed etc. Interesting about the almost pain with ejaculation, I had that with oral finasteride like the first day I took it, very hard to describe but almost like some muscle or or something was activating to stop or block the ejaculation/ ejaculate. I know that sounds bizarre but it's a little hard to describe in the abstract. And as for anyone who thinks a pill couldn't impact your sexual function that fast, well they obviously haven't done many recreational drugs (mdma/ ecstacy, cocaine and others) which which have similar effects within hours (or less) of use. Not an exact comparison I understand but still.

Did you have them ship to you internationally? I'm in NYC.

3 minutes ago, 4Godot said:

Right, i mean it does seem to work for some others for sure, I don't wanna put you off something that might be a solution for you, but to be honest the dosing of Xyon is very high, regardless of theories about absorption speed etc. Interesting about the almost pain with ejaculation, I had that with oral finasteride like the first day I took it, very hard to describe but almost like some muscle or or something was activating to stop or block the ejaculation/ ejaculate. I know that sounds bizarre but it's a little hard to describe in the abstract. And as for anyone who thinks a pill couldn't impact your sexual function that fast, well they obviously haven't done many recreational drugs (mdma/ ecstacy, cocaine and others) which which have similar effects within hours (or less) of use. Not an exact comparison I understand but still.

Did you have them ship to you internationally? I'm in NYC.

yes shipped to the USA. 

Currently on oral minoxidil and losing hair again. I'm gonna try 0.25 solution of finasteride gel, maybe twice a week. As much as I'm very susceptible to side effects it seems to cut both ways in that very small amounts also seem to halt hair loss.

I've tried 0.25 pill and I've tried 0.5 topical but it was minoxidil max and so basically just a liquid (possibly ethanol?) solution which I'm told is has a similar systemic profile to the pill.

Also following the Cosmerna situation, I'd definitely settle for stabilization and no side effects at this point, but the price point and sketchy marketing giving me pause.

How about you?

So in a lecture today on androgenic alopecia I learned that oral fin stays in the body about 1 month, and oral dut 6 months, so for dut thats one hell of a long half life.

Edited by 12345

1 hour ago, 12345 said:

So in a lecture today on androgenic alopecia I learned that oral fin stays in the body about 1 month, and oral dut 6 months, so for dut thats one hell of a long half life.

Oof, that's good to know/ a little scary. 

By the way Anagenica now has new site which you can order from directly, much easier than previous email/ payment link system

33 minutes ago, 4Godot said:

Oof, that's good to know/ a little scary. 

By the way Anagenica now has new site which you can order from directly, much easier than previous email/ payment link system

sent you a pm

• Administrators

Honestly, if you got side effects from Xyon, I doubt you’ll do much better on another topical. Have you considered trying a different method? Maybe you’d fare better on pyrilutamide or CosmeRNA.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

16 hours ago, 12345 said:

6 months?!?! ... Aaaggh!! 😲

1 hour ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Honestly, if you got side effects from Xyon, I doubt you’ll do much better on another topical. Have you considered trying a different method? Maybe you’d fare better on pyrilutamide or CosmeRNA.

Yeah I just wanna try the very low dose finasteride from anagenica (0.025 or even 0.01), gonna try a couple times a week, see if i can stabilize or at least slow the shed and minimize sides. At least I know with finasteride if I do still get sides at the smaller doses, after a couple of weeks I'm back to normal.

Very interested in Cosmerna and Pyrilutamide, they'd be my preferred treatment to be honest. As yet though haven't seen anything that concrete or promising from users since cosmerna was released onto the market. I might give it another couple months and see how the feedback is. Also considering just giving it a shot anyway.

Same with Pyrilutamide, but I don't know any reputable sources for getting that. Have you had any experience with that @Melvin- Moderator?

Just now, BaldBobby said:

I was on 0.1 dutasteride for 5 months but stopped due to sides...I didn't get libido back until a few months later

Thanks for the feedback man, a few months is a substantial period to be experiencing sides after stopping the meds. Glad to hear you did eventually get back to normal though 

16 hours ago, BaldBobby said:

I was on 0.1 dutasteride for 5 months but stopped due to sides...I didn't get libido back until a few months later

where did you source your 0.1% dut from. I got mine from anagenica inc. It shut me off for 6 weeks from just one application.

17 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Just like others have asked, where is a legitimate source of pyrilutamide?

• Like 2