Paying For a Consultation

Is it worth it to pay for a consultation? I've had in person consultations with surgeons who didn't charge, and had a phone consultation with one who didn't charge. But the other surgeons I'm considering charge for consultations. Also, is it worth it to pay for, or even have an online consultation?

If you're researching surgeons and one of your top picks charges for a consultation, then I'd say it's worth it for the opportunity to talk directly with them. It could be the deciding factor in selecting your surgeon.

It also can't hurt to ask if the consultation fee can be applied toward the overall cost of the procedure later if you decide to book.

• Like 1

Please direct medical questions to medical professionals.

NW3, Dr. Rahal, FUE, 3,000 grafts, Summer 2023

• Administrators

You're spending thousands of dollars on surgery. Yes, it is worth paying for consultations. Most surgeons who charge for consultations discount that amount from the surgery if you choose them. To me, its a no-brainer.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

2 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

You're spending thousands of dollars on surgery. Yes, it is worth paying for consultations. Most surgeons who charge for consultations discount that amount from the surgery if you choose them. To me, its a no-brainer.

That's a good point, but if I'm having consultations with multiple surgeons, I'm only going to be choosing one of them. I still don't understand why some charge and some don't. Thanks for your feedback.

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Joseph James said:

That's a good point, but if I'm having consultations with multiple surgeons, I'm only going to be choosing one of them. I still don't understand why some charge and some don't. Thanks for your feedback.

They probably have allotted time to do consultations where they would otherwise be doing surgery and getting paid. It's reasonable to expect compensation for their time and service, especially if they're examining you in person. I know hair loss influencers that charge for consultations, as insane as that sounds. 

• Haha 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

9 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

They probably have allotted time to do consultations where they would otherwise be doing surgery and getting paid. It's reasonable to expect compensation for their time and service, especially if they're examining you in person. I know hair loss influencers that charge for consultations, as insane as that sounds. 

Yeah, I know of one too. I made a post about him awhile back, lol.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

They probably have allotted time to do consultations where they would otherwise be doing surgery and getting paid. It's reasonable to expect compensation for their time and service, especially if they're examining you in person.

Absolutely. And paying a consultation fee shows that you are serious about the procedure. Many of the top surgeons are booked months or years in advance. At some point, it only makes sense for them to talk to only the most serious patients and let their representatives handle communications with those who are in earlier stages of their research.

• Like 1

Please direct medical questions to medical professionals.

NW3, Dr. Rahal, FUE, 3,000 grafts, Summer 2023

• Moderators

There was a time when almost all HT consultations were free, but these days so many people are getting many multiple consultations that it has become a lot of work for the Drs for very little money because only one out of many consultations end up turning into an actual patient of theirs. On top of that prospective patients want to spend more time these days on each consultation because they are trying to compare each Dr, so that also takes up more of each Drs time.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Valued Contributor

I've had both free and fee paid consultations. Some surgeons will deduct the fee from the surgery if you proceed. In the bigger picture I would focus on the surgeon who is right for you rather than part of the cost involved in hair restoration. All the best!

1 hour ago, sftraderHT said:

I found the paid consultations to be more thorough and detailed.  My experience is to pay for consultation and to do the consultation in person, if possible.

I paid for an online consultation which I didn’t mind doing but was limited to a Q and A session, with a plan made according to pics submitted. Are in person consultations usually more expensive than online?

8 minutes ago, streethawk said:

I paid for an online consultation which I didn’t mind doing but was limited to a Q and A session, with a plan made according to pics submitted. Are in person consultations usually more expensive than online?

I did 6 or 7 consults, only 2 were paid consultations.  I found in.person better because the doctor was able to do a more thorough exam on the hair using a detailed camera like microscope.  

Do the best you can, if you have local doctors, talk with them F2F.  

My two cents...