Podcast on August 30th with Dr. Zarev Ask Your QUESTIONS

11 minutes ago, markrahim said:

Hi two questions for Dr zarev please;

1.Would he not do previously botched surgeries,in my case a FUT in 2007?

2.For international patients..is a in-person consultant required?

Thanks 

He covered both of those in the interview.

He does repair cases, and always insists on in person consultations.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, HugoX said:

Just saw the podcast @Melvin- Moderator, great stuff and great questions. It's great that Dr Zarev was able to explain a bit about his approach and way of work, that conversation could have gone on for hours. 

But did I notice a little bit of biceps 💪🏻 competition going on between you and Dr Zarev 😉😂?

I’ve asked him for tips. He said he only trains 2x per week. But he maintains a great physique. 

• Haha 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

The temple peaks on that patient were incredible. You see them done but they can stand out as being too thick & the transition seems very difficult to get right as well

Looking forward to getting mine restored next year. But i know he isnt aggresive with temple peaks. I remember he said im getting about 150 grafts each side so not too aggressive

• Like 2

• Administrators
6 hours ago, hairman22 said:

The temple peaks on that patient were incredible. You see them done but they can stand out as being too thick & the transition seems very difficult to get right as well

Looking forward to getting mine restored next year. But i know he isnt aggresive with temple peaks. I remember he said im getting about 150 grafts each side so not too aggressive

I hope you share your journey here like mtb and hugo x.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Great podcast. The screen sharing is amazing. Really like how meticulous he is, even his camera + microphone setup was of great quality.

Love the detailed, high resolution pictures from the same angles, this should be the standard for every surgeon. The high quality pictures, zoomed in while he explained where amazing and make a tremendous difference compared to just words.

"Mature hairline" is euphemism for balding.

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, NegativeNorwood said:

Great podcast. The screen sharing is amazing. Really like how meticulous he is, even his camera + microphone setup was of great quality.

Love the detailed, high resolution pictures from the same angles, this should be the standard for every surgeon. The high quality pictures, zoomed in while he explained where amazing and make a tremendous difference compared to just words.

Yes, I’m thinking of abandoning the live podcasts. I think this set up is best. Give surgeons the opportunity to prepare cases and share their screen. 

• Like 1

View my thread

• Valued Contributor

Great segment with Dr Zarev, @Melvin- Moderator. Watched it whilst eating breakfast this morning!

We got to see two case we've never seen before (to my knowledge) from Dr Z;

1. An incredible temple point restoration

2. A significant hairline extraction/raising repair surgery

The progress that repair case had made after one sitting was incredible; no scarring, hairline back to a more appropriate place & shape, and some extra refinement and final extractions to come with a second sitting. If that's the level of his repair work then we can safely say he's as good as anyone in that area.

If you ever get a chance to do a follow up with him, checking in on that case would be brilliant. What an awful, awful HT that poor guy had in Turkey. One of the worst I've seen I think.

• Like 2

• Administrators
50 minutes ago, Berba11 said:

Great segment with Dr Zarev, @Melvin- Moderator. Watched it whilst eating breakfast this morning!

We got to see two case we've never seen before (to my knowledge) from Dr Z;

1. An incredible temple point restoration

2. A significant hairline extraction/raising repair surgery

The progress that repair case had made after one sitting was incredible; no scarring, hairline back to a more appropriate place & shape, and some extra refinement and final extractions to come with a second sitting. If that's the level of his repair work then we can safely say he's as good as anyone in that area.

If you ever get a chance to do a follow up with him, checking in on that case would be brilliant. What an awful, awful HT that poor guy had in Turkey. One of the worst I've seen I think.

Yes, I’m very grateful he showed never before seen work. I trust well collaborate again in the near future. 

• Like 1

View my thread

On 9/14/2023 at 6:03 PM, Melvin- Moderator said:

Yes, I’m thinking of abandoning the live podcasts. I think this set up is best. Give surgeons the opportunity to prepare cases and share their screen. 

This is the way to go. Having slides and photos to compliment and show examples of what the Dr is talking about is fantastic. Great stuff.

As for Zarev, well it’s obvious why he is one of the very best. His attention to detail is second to none. 2 + hours for a consultation is crazy but when you look at the in depth planning he does it makes sense. No stone is left untouched, the forward planning in terms of donor and further recession is also like nothing I’ve ever seen. Every single graft or potential graft is accounted for. He’s booked up for years in advance but given how long each case takes including consultation & surgery it’s not hard to see why. Phenomenal

Also nice to see him squash a few myths and present repairs cases too.

Great surgeons operate at a high level consistently , elite surgeons push the boundaries of what’s possible and innovate. He falls under that bracket 

• Like 1

It was very interesting to see this this repair work and explanation that it requires 3 procedures. The final result is stunning. 

The thing about not using microscopes. He said that using 0.45 mm punch size allows him to extract single hair follicles without risk of transection. Well, i think that telogen hair have other opinion in this matter, rest in peace for them 😅

However percent of telogen hair in this strategy is low, so that is just some sacrifice for the whole process i believe. 

Edited by GeneralNorwood

17 minutes ago, GeneralNorwood said:

It was very interesting to see this this repair work and explanation that it requires 3 procedures. The final result is stunning. 

The thing about not using microscopes. He said that using 0.45 mm punch size allows him to extract single hair follicles without risk of transection. Well, i think that telogen hair have other opinion in this matter, rest in peace for them 😅

However percent of telogen hair in this strategy is low, so that is just some sacrifice for the whole process i believe. 

His software tells you what percentage is in the telogen phase

Like he said to me its normal for lots of hairs behind the ears are around temple peaks to be in telogen phase its why hairs there grow slower.

58 minutes ago, hairman22 said:

His software tells you what percentage is in the telogen phase

Like he said to me its normal for lots of hairs behind the ears are around temple peaks to be in telogen phase its why hairs there grow slower.

nah, im talking about telogen hair that is impossible to see without magnification 

It's G on the picture

Various-types-of-follicle-injury-that-ar

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Various-types-of-follicle-injury-that-are-likely-to-occur-during-FUE-60-magnification_fig1_315349923

This kind of telogen hair you can identify only after extraction, on the table with microscope. Eugenix does it. 

Edited by GeneralNorwood

20 minutes ago, GeneralNorwood said:

nah, im talking about telogen hair that is impossible to see without magnification 

It's G on the picture

Various-types-of-follicle-injury-that-ar

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Various-types-of-follicle-injury-that-are-likely-to-occur-during-FUE-60-magnification_fig1_315349923

This kind of telogen hair you can identify only after extraction, on the table with microscope. Eugenix does it. 

No I saw it when I was there. Zarev has micro camera and hair quality comes up on the screen. Hair thickness hairs in telogen etc. 

The attention to detail is brillant. 

He knows all the details of the hair on your scalp with the micro camera photos then sets up the plan long term

1 hour ago, hairman22 said:

No I saw it when I was there. Zarev has micro camera and hair quality comes up on the screen. Hair thickness hairs in telogen etc. 

He knows all the details of the hair on your scalp with the micro camera photos then sets up the plan long term

You cannot see telogen hairs unless you dissect each graft under a microscope. And even then, sometimes it's very very hard to detect. That's why elite clinics sometimes misplace a double in the hairline. It's not a big deal though, it also happens in nature.

A "micro camera" cannot see under the skin. I don't understand why Zarev doesn't want to use microscopes. And he didn't give s good answer in the podcast / video.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2500 FUE by Dr. Victor Hasson, June 2023

23 hours ago, hairman22 said:

I respect dr Zarev too, but come on. I know he is nearly God regarding hair transplants, but he is still human. He doesn't have the sixth sense that enable him to see telogen hair under the skin. Or maybe... 

Edited by Melvin- Moderator
Removed photo
  • Like 1

On 9/16/2023 at 9:18 AM, GeneralNorwood said:

I don't quite get your point maybe clarify.

Once the graft is extracted, it's gone, so what difference does it make if a hair is in telogen phase there or not?

Would you just throw the graft away otherwise?

1 hour ago, asterix0 said:

I don't quite get your point maybe clarify.

Once the graft is extracted, it's gone, so what difference does it make if a hair is in telogen phase there or not?

Would you just throw the graft away otherwise?

Do you see  this double graft on the "G" picture?. When this double graft is inside skin, we see only 1 hair and we can think that is single hair follicle. 

But in fact, when we take it out we can see under magnification that it is double graft and second hair was hidden. 

So when somebody extract this kind of  "hidden" double graft and then implants in the hairline, then surprise, you have 2 hair in the hairline. But this happens when clinic uses 0.8 mm punch. When somebody uses 0,45 mm punch, i believe it is too narrow for extraction of double graft. 

Even in the same video, Dr Zarev explains that repair needs multiple surgeries, because some hair are hidden under the skin. This hair are in telogen or early anagen phase. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GeneralNorwood said:

Do you see  this double graft on the "G" picture?. When this double graft is inside skin, we see only 1 hair and we can think that is single hair follicle. 

But in fact, when we take it out we can see under magnification that it is double graft and second hair was hidden. 

So when somebody extract this kind of  "hidden" double graft and then implants in the hairline, then surprise, you have 2 hair in the hairline. But this happens when clinic uses 0.8 mm punch. When somebody uses 0,45 mm punch, i believe it is too narrow for extraction of double graft. 

Even in the same video, Dr Zarev explains that repair needs multiple surgeries, because some hair are hidden under the skin. This hair are in telogen or early anagen phase. 

Ah I see, now this makes sense.

I actually did not know case G is possible, so that is good that I learned something today hehe.