Transplants

I

I'm not sure that tells us too much. It doesn't seem to monitor the survival of transplanted grafts, but instead whether the patients hair thinned over 4 years.

Only 35 percent continued on finesteride. 

So for me, there are too many variables for it to be a useful exercise. 

Ideally you'd want to find a way to identify which hairs were lost (transplanted or native). The only reasonable way of doing that is choosing patients who have a proven stable situation prior to surgery (probably through finesteride over a period of time).

The sample set here is pretty small, and it didn't record how many patients that were taking finesteride showed a reduction in hair density. Even if it had, it won't prove that it were effective, so the amount of lost transplanted hairs. 

• Like 2

• Valued Contributor

The thing is that the donor region is DHT resistant. It's not DHT proof though. Look at guys in their later years compared to a guy in their twenties (whether balding or not). Hair thins all over as we get older and stable areas can become less so over time. It's an individual thing though.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Rossybop said:

It caught my attention because I got a transplant 2.5 years ago, aged 30, and I use finasteride, yet my transplant has definitely thinned out. It's thinned out a lot actually.

you get any sides of the Fin? what dosage you use and do you take it daily? 

• Administrators

It varies from person. If someone’s HT thins, it’s likely because they already had pre-existing miniaturization in the donor. I had my first HT almost 10 years ago, I’ve had zero thinning. But I also had my donor microscopically examined by multiple surgeons. I believe many have diffuse unpatterned alopecia (DUPA) without knowing it. That is why I encourage everyone to get their donor examined before getting surgery.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

The study is a small sample of only 112 people, and who knows what the skill level is of this "surgical team" that performed this surgery.  Those photos included in the study show some pretty bad postop results, and it definitely looks like they performed surgery on several poor candidates who had poor donor to begin with.  I wouldn't put too much into these numbers.

However, it is true (as @Gatsby said above) that your donor hairs aren't DHT "proof".  They are DHT "resistant".  
Your transplanted hairs will likely thin out over time, but not likely to thin out over a 3-4 year span (assuming they were all taken from the safe zone, and you weren't experiencing serious miniaturization across your donor area preop).

I always figure that the main goal of a HT is to eliminate the PATTERN.  If you're lucky, you can get density too...but it's that male pattern baldness that you can eliminate with a hair transplant.  
Correcting your hairline, framing your face, and trying to get rid (or reduce) that large circle on the back of your head by evenly distributing what you can across your crown and vertex.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bucky O Hair said:

The study is a small sample of only 112 people, and who knows what the skill level is of this "surgical team" that performed this surgery.  Those photos included in the study show some pretty bad postop results, and it definitely looks like they performed surgery on several poor candidates who had poor donor to begin with.  I wouldn't put too much into these numbers.

However, it is true (as @Gatsby said above) that your donor hairs aren't DHT "proof".  They are DHT "resistant".  
Your transplanted hairs will likely thin out over time, but not likely to thin out over a 3-4 year span (assuming they were all taken from the safe zone, and you weren't experiencing serious miniaturization across your donor area preop).

I always figure that the main goal of a HT is to eliminate the PATTERN.  If you're lucky, you can get density too...but it's that male pattern baldness that you can eliminate with a hair transplant.  
Correcting your hairline, framing your face, and trying to get rid (or reduce) that large circle on the back of your head by evenly distributing what you can across your crown and vertex.

112 is actually a pretty large sample I'd say. But yes there are a lot of other factors to consider such as skill of Dr, but it seems if the hairs grew at some point and then fell out that wouldn't be the fault of the Dr

5 hours ago, Rossybop said:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8061642/

There's an interesting link suggesting about 50% of hair transplants thin out after a few years. Some even experience severe thinning.

It's actually worse, 90% had some level of thinning 4 years after HT

5 hours ago, BackFromTheBrink said:

I'm not sure that tells us too much. It doesn't seem to monitor the survival of transplanted grafts, but instead whether the patients hair thinned over 4 years.

Disagree, the study specifically says "The reduction in the density of the grafted hair follicles was graded by a blinded observer in a grading scale."

This is only 1 study, but overall it speaks to the fact that not as many people are candidates for HT surgery as is commonly accepted :(

Edited by GoliGoliGoli

@GoliGoliGoli I'm not sure you understood my point, which was that th reduction in hair density everybody sees in old age is unlikely to be the main cause of a reduction in density in 35 year old (on average) patients over a 4 year period.

I also do not believe the study adequately measures how long transplanted hairs survive for, which was its aim.

4 hours ago, Rossybop said:

It caught my attention because I got a transplant 2.5 years ago, aged 30, and I use finasteride, yet my transplant has definitely thinned out. It's thinned out a lot actually.

That is interesting. Could you share your photos in between those years to now? 

7 hours ago, Big Rome said:

you get any sides of the Fin? what dosage you use and do you take it daily? 

1.25mg daily.

When I first started I shed a bit for a few weeks and my skin went a bit oily but then after a few weeks I noticed the shedding stopped and I began losing very little hair. I think it might have even thickened a few hairs on the crown for a while.

However after using it for 2 years or so I noticed a bit more shedding again, and in the last 6 months or so I've been shedding quite a lot, yet I still use it daily. I believe its lost a lot of its power on me. I know that it works with most people for 5 - 8 years before losing power, but it seems its lost a lot of power on me after about 2 - 3 years.

Side effects:

Libido a bit lower

Semen more runny and watery

Erections seem fine but need more stimulation to achieve and sustain a perfect erection.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rossybop said:

1.25mg daily.

When I first started I shed a bit for a few weeks and my skin went a bit oily but then after a few weeks I noticed the shedding stopped and I began losing very little hair. I think it might have even thickened a few hairs on the crown for a while.

However after using it for 2 years or so I noticed a bit more shedding again, and in the last 6 months or so I've been shedding quite a lot, yet I still use it daily. I believe its lost a lot of its power on me. I know that it works with most people for 5 - 8 years before losing power, but it seems its lost a lot of power on me after about 2 - 3 years.

Side effects:

Libido a bit lower

Erections seem fine but need more stimulation to achieve and sustain a perfect erection.

thank you man, appreciate your response 👊🏼

It’s not surprising. Most NW4-5 are headed to NW7. People who stay at NW6 are rare. So when they get a transplant hair is taken from unsafe zone which as expected thins out and falls out eventually like it would if it stayed in donor area.

NW7 have a really thin safe zone where hairs don’t get affected by DHT but it’s not sufficient for a HT. It’s not good enough for covering the donor actually in some people. 

Donor hair is permanent if it’s permanent in the donor area. It’s not in recipient area if it’s not permanent in donor area.

The study is very low quality  

• Like 1

Assuming people arent on Medication the pattern will certanly dip down and sooner or later the donor region will take a hit. 

That being said if you are either on Finasteride or Dutasteride you should be able to keep it pretty much till your very last breath, assuming you take a pill everyday (or almost) till then. Of course some people are unluky and recede even while on meds, its never a guarantee even if rare.

This is obviously only my opinion based on what I have reesearched. 

buuut an example like this…

image.jpeg.2985904d7ff3e507824e826ff0201ebe.jpeg

(A, B, C, D, E) Baseline image (for moderate reduction in density 4-year post hair transplantation). (F, G, H, I, J) 1-year post surgery results (for moderate reduction in density 4-year post hair transplantation). (K, L, M, N, O) 4-year post surgery results (moderate reduction in density of transplanted hairs)

the guy had still some native hair going on where folicles got transplanted (look at image e) these natives hair increased density of the transplanted area but kept thinning and eventually disappeared leaving the transplanted area less dense. but it was counted as reduction of the transplanted hairs which is false imho

I teach older men how to dance, so I see a lot of them.  Trust me, not a single one of them has an intact donor and only 1 of them has had a hair transplant (that I can tell). Out of about 200 students or so I'd say that there are maybe 2 that have more than 60% density (age 55+).  

Similar story for post-menopausal women, although to a much lesser degree.

The game is to try to do as much as you can with what you have for as long as possible.  A good response to medication is a must in my book to give yourself a leg up in making your hair last. Or you can always shave your head.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2023 at 3:08 AM, Rossybop said:

1.25mg daily.

Side effects:

Libido a bit lower

Thanks for sharing it. I am thinking about hair transplant and for that I am searching for information online regarding hair transplant. I am also looking for a site online where I can find about study websites and can compare them each other. Thanks for the sharing about hair transplant.

Thanks for sharing it :)

• Like 1