How does my donor look 3 weeks out?

• Administrators

Do you have pictures of the extractions?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

There is no visual evidence of surgery whatsoever!

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

@Ralph kaka,

When you compare the extractions 3 days postop to your photos of the donor area at 3 weeks, it does appear that you may have some mild shock loss to the donor area.  But this is typical at only 3 weeks post-op.  Ultimately, the donor area will take some time to heal and any shot hairs may take up to six months or even 12 months to fully return. It’s typically closer to six but it does take longer for some. It also takes up to 12 to 18 months for your newly transplanted hair to grow in.

I hope this helps  

Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

3 hours ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

@Ralph kaka,

When you compare the extractions 3 days postop to your photos of the donor area at 3 weeks, it does appear that you may have some mild shock loss to the donor area.  But this is typical at only 3 weeks post-op.  Ultimately, the donor area will take some time to heal and any shot hairs may take up to six months or even 12 months to fully return. It’s typically closer to six but it does take longer for some. It also takes up to 12 to 18 months for your newly transplanted hair to grow in.

I hope this helps  

Rahal Hair Transplant

In which week postop does donor area shockloss typically occur?

Edited by Bucky O Hair

@Rahal Hair Transplant Does shock loss, both in the regions of the native and donor zone, reverse and do the native hairs come back if you don't use medication? I am curious about this theoretically. My understanding is unless the native hairs were very miniaturized and they were going to go on their own anyway, the healthy native hairs would come back in 6 months to 12 months

On 5/17/2023 at 10:44 PM, Ralph kaka said:

@Rahal Hair Transplant Does shock loss, both in the regions of the native and donor zone, reverse and do the native hairs come back if you don't use medication? I am curious about this theoretically. My understanding is unless the native hairs were very miniaturized and they were going to go on their own anyway, the healthy native hairs would come back in 6 months to 12 months

@HappyMan2021 @sl @Gatsby @Smacias15 do any of yall have an idea about this question? I am 4 weeks out now and my donor looks the same as it does in the top pic, shock loss it seems.

On average shock loss occurs approximately 4 weeks post-op whether its in the donor area or the recipient area…keep in mind there are exceptions, it can occur as early as 2 weeks post-op or as late as 8 weeks.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

17 hours ago, Ralph kaka said:

@Smacias15 definitely, here is my donor 2 weeks pre-op attached. 

The post op view of my donor is above too! 

B25B7FD1-68EE-47EC-B56B-121BB3A3CE8F.png

Comparing the before and after, nothing looks abnormal. Doesn’t look patchy at all. Of course it’s going to look a little sparse due to the trauma of the extractions but your donor should thicken up in the next 3-6 months. Once your hair grows out, it will look undetectable.

• Like 1