Hair Transplant Definitely Busted?

Should I go for a second op?

Should I add dutasteride to my daily use of finasteride and minoxidil?

Or should I shave it off and give up on solutions?

I had a 2,040 FUE 2 years and 5 months ago. Looked great after a year. Its defo been thinning out a lot lately though. I've been losing lots of hair every day.

What should I do?

The right side is now going back to square 1 as well. Yet the temporal peaks seem to be staying in.

20230506_231611.jpg

20230506_231619.jpg

20230506_231643.jpg

20230506_231433.jpg

I would say you wouldn’t need much, maybe in the 300-700 range. To be honest, in my opinion it’s a bit unusual for a transplant to thin whilst the native hair is retained. I’m hoping this isn’t a sign of LPP or some scalp condition/illness that’s rearing it’s head now.

12+ Months Finasteride + Minoxidil

3872 FUE w/ Dr Hasson | November 2022

Man, are you sure that you are not deliberately trying to look for weak spots in your hair? Is the 'thinning' even visible when you style your hair? HT's are about the illusion of density, not true 'hair like at 18' density.

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor

If you feel you are losing ground on finasteride then you could switch it for dutasteride. But I feel that you are being overly harsh on yourself. If you styled your hair I'm sure you could give the appearance of a great head of hair. I would hold off on surgery until you really need it again. All the best!

For these pictures I have styled it to look harsh, but generally, it does look and feel somewhat weak.

Its not the same head of hair I had 18 months ago.

I would like to get it topped up, if a top up will serve it well.

As for dut - should I stop taking fin altogether and just get straight on dut? 0.5mg daily? Or should I start adding dut in daily while staying on fin?

I reached out to Ferreira, Pinto and Saifi last night...so I will go with one of them for my top-up.

I've heard there's been an uptick in hair thinning due to Covid-19. Have you had it recently?

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

3 minutes ago, hairthere said:

I've heard there's been an uptick in hair thinning due to Covid-19. Have you had it recently?

Not that I know of...does it thicken up again after Covid goes away?

You posted this same topic two weeks ago.

Based on your post history, it seems like you have a bit too much anxiety about (what seems like) normal hair shed and you seem to be spending a lot of time stressing too much and looking for flaws in the mirror. 

I don't think anyone would consider this a case of your 'HT being busted'. 

You are in your 30s and have a good head of hair, and a HT won't ever match that original density.  I think the consensus on here is to not get another HT and actually enjoy the hair that you actually have (and not try and find variances in hair density by combing your hair in the least flattering way possible and spending your time staring at it by using a harsh bathroom mirror).

• Like 3

Just a hypothesis:  Is it possible that because all that hair was freshly transplanted in the same time, they are following their normal growth + shed phase, and just synchronized in their shedding?

I've not seen this happen, but I've heard of it happening before.  Supposedly in the first few years, this can happen if all the hairs reach their end growth phase at a similar point in time.  You don't usually see this, because all the hair on your head sheds at random times.  Like 50-100 hairs a day.  Now just imagine if for 2 weeks straight, 100 hairs a day shed from the same spot, that's 1400 hairs gone in 2 weeks, you'd have a bald spot.   2.5 years sounds about right for some people.

Check out my journey here: