Finasterid - loosing attractiveness to opposite gender due to lower DHT

KenzoTenma

hey everyone,

maybe I am overthinking here. But is there any information if the attractiveness to the opposite gender is changing, if taking Finasterid and lowering the DHT? I am taking it now for about 7 month, now side effects, still the same libido etc. But was wondering about the overall thing. Just cannot find any article if DHT is important for the falling in love thing or only the testosteron.

Cheers,

Kenzo

17 minutes ago, KenzoTenma said:

hey everyone,

maybe I am overthinking here. But is there any information if the attractiveness to the opposite gender is changing, if taking Finasterid and lowering the DHT? I am taking it now for about 7 month, now side effects, still the same libido etc. But was wondering about the overall thing. Just cannot find any article if DHT is important for the falling in love thing or only the testosteron.

Cheers,

Kenzo

It's individual. For most people, there are no negative effects, and I know of several in here that have higher libido after taking fin. And if not higher libido, then at least better sexual functioning. The reason is that your testosterone will actually increase as a result of taking fin. DHT is really involved in puberty and after puberty it's effects on the body seems to be secondary - for most people, and mostly causing enlarged prostate, decreased functionality of the prosate resulting in decreased semen fluid, hair fall and other negative effects. But as we know it is a hormone and for some people their body has created some links to mood etc. So if you have no side effects, I don't see why you should worry at all. 

Edited by Xanadu
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Xanadu said:

It's individual .For most people, and I know of several in here, have higher libido after taking fin. And if not higher libido, then at least better sexual functioning. The reason is that your testosterone will actually increase as a result of taking fin. DHT is really involved in puberty and after puberty it's effects on the body seems to be secondary - for most people, and mostly causing enlarged prostate, decreased functionality of the prosate resulting in decreased semen fluid, hair fall and other negative effects. But as we know it is a hormone and for some people their body has created some links to mood etc. So if you have no side effects, I don't see why you should worry at all. 

thanks a lot, just started to panic somehow a lot :D. Was also not able to find anything more negative on pubmed. So staying with Fin, I guess :)

5 minutes ago, KenzoTenma said:

thanks a lot, just started to panic somehow a lot :D. Was also not able to find anything more negative on pubmed. So staying with Fin, I guess :)

Here might be yet another reason. I asked ChatGPT if DHT has any negative effects after puberty. It mentioned all the known ones, but here is one that I didn't know about. It's just ChatGPT4.0 so better do some research before relying complete on everything it says:

There is evidence to suggest that DHT may play a role in the development of prostate cancer. Prostate cancer is a type of cancer that develops in the prostate gland, which is an organ that produces seminal fluid and is located in the male reproductive system.

DHT is known to stimulate the growth and proliferation of prostate cells, which can lead to the development of prostate cancer. In fact, some of the most effective treatments for prostate cancer, such as androgen deprivation therapy, work by lowering the levels of DHT in the body.

However, it's important to note that not all prostate cancers are caused by DHT, and the relationship between DHT and prostate cancer is complex. While DHT can contribute to the development of prostate cancer, other factors such as genetics, age, and lifestyle factors also play a role in the development of this disease.

In summary, while there is evidence to suggest that DHT may be involved in causing prostate cancer, it is just one of several factors that can contribute to the development of this disease. It's important to discuss any concerns about prostate cancer with a healthcare provider, who can provide personalized advice and recommendations based on an individual's risk factors and medical history.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Rafael Manelli said:

So is the question if it makes you less attractive to women or is it if it makes you less attracted to women?

The question is, if woman are less attracted to me, because my hormone cocktail is different.

I am still attracted the same way to woman, then before I have started taking fin, at least, from what I can tell.

• Administrators

Finasteride retains your hair, being bald makes you less attractive to women (generally speaking).

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

It is a great question. Unfortunately I don’t have a clue of the answer, if controlling for the obvious (hair retained by fin).

As Melvin said, we can assume having hair tends to be more attractive than a balding look, but as for other, more subtle or ineffable effects of finasteride on attractiveness - who knows? I can’t say I’ve seen any evidence for it, or against it. I think the default assumption is that there is no effect unless proven otherwise, but I can’t rule out the possibility.

Human attractiveness seems to be affected by little changes in pheromones, hormonal cycles etc. Women’s monthly cycle debatably have some effect. So I don’t know.

Personally I wouldn’t worry about it. If it helps your hair and your confidence that’s probably the most important thing. And if it prevents your prostate getting too big.

• Like 1

People get only higher libido after starting fin but that lasts very short because of sudden spike in test. After you'll have trouble maintaining erection, and that definitely can make you less attractive to women, or even ruin relationship

24 minutes ago, SoSoz said:

People get only higher libido after starting fin but that lasts very short because of sudden spike in test. After you'll have trouble maintaining erection, and that definitely can make you less attractive to women, or even ruin relationship

As I said I know several on here who have experienced higher libido/sexual function for years after starting fin.

I'm sorry if you had issues, but let's not start rumours that scare people. We all know that it is a topic that already has and can scare people. We know the scientific litterature does not support that "afterwards you will have trouble maintaining erection" so I think it is very irresponsible to sprout such things. 

As I said I am sorry if you are having or had these issues, but let's stick to either science, or the personal examples we have.

• Like 1

• Administrators
51 minutes ago, SoSoz said:

This is only a small percentage of men the majority do not experience side effects. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

3 hours ago, TorontoMan said:

Does this photo do anything for you?

Yes! Looks amazing - the juxtaposition of the clean white stucco against the backdrop of the savage rocky landscape.

Only spoilt by that burd blocking my view ... damn that finasteride😊

I suggest you consult a doctor if you are too worried about it as even if we tell you not to overthink (and send you gorgeous pictures 😉 ) still you might do it. Secondly if you choose not to go to doctor and keep taking fin then do it but don't overthink so much about sides and use that extra time to hit the gym which will give you 2 things:

1) when women look at you its not just your hair they are looking at. (When you also looked at that picture did you honestly checked out her hairline 😄 )

2) self confidence when you look in mirror . (you will be looking at a fitter version of you and not wondering that if you tuck your shirt in then will it show your tummy)

Or use that time to get a hobby which also give you one extra card to play than other men who might bore her with just work talk. Good luck with your choice 🙂. And as @Melvin- Moderator suggested fin might help you retain hair which ticks one more box for you.

No. OTOH, balding makes you less attractive to women (and no, don't post a model, football player, actor that looks good bald. They are rich, famous and looked even better with hair, thus not a relevant example for the average person).

"Mature hairline" is euphemism for balding.