2012 graft fue Hasson & Wong (Dr. Wong) - October 3rd 2022

46 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Fair but the fact that the op made this post saying it was a failure at 5 months shows to me, he has very high and unreasonable expectations. 

I'd certainly say anxious, possibly pessimistic and like many of us, desperate for a good result. 

It's amazing how much hair impacts mental health, so I try to look at posts with that in mind.

I was the opposite - (some would say overly) optimistic and calling success at 4-5 months. I guess we all have our own ways of handling the tortuous wait.

9 minutes ago, BackFromTheBrink said:

I'd certainly say anxious, possibly pessimistic and like many of us, desperate for a good result. 

It's amazing how much hair impacts mental health, so I try to look at posts with that in mind.

I was the opposite - (some would say overly) optimistic and calling success at 4-5 months. I guess we all have our own ways of handling the tortuous wait.

I can relate for sure. Hairloss sucks especially when it starts earlier in your life. If I were to go back in time I would've told my younger self to just go with it. Once I had a kid my priorities changed and I would've just rocked a shaved head. But for sure I totally get how it messes with your mental health. Really does suck.

The thing about hair transplants is that unless you wait until you're a high nw, you're likely going to need multiple procedures down the road to keep things looking good, or your progression is very slow and a procedure can last years without having to touch up.  Also, once you get into the ht game, it kind locks you in. Shaving your head after may not be a great solution down the road bc of the fue and fut scarring, and the blotchy areas where you had the transplant. Smp of course could be an option if done by a good technician.  

For me, my procedure with Dr Hasson was in 2015. 8 years ago now and only needed 1036 grafts. I'm think of getting a touchup in the next couple years as some areas are thinning a bit and the transition between native and transplanted hair is slowly starting to show. 

Edited by Spidey

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2023 at 7:22 AM, BackFromTheBrink said:

That entirely depends on the expectations that were set by the surgeon. If he went to his consultation and asked for a few more years of slightly thicker hair then I agree, he's been unrealistic. 

If he asked for the same hairline but full coverage then he hasn't got what he asked for.

The surgeon is the expert, saw his head under magnification and understands what hair transplants can deliver.

If he needed 3500 grafts because the miniaturised hairs wouldn't survive the surgery surely that is what should have been quoted?

The patient could have them decided whether he continued with 2000, saved more money for 3500 or used a different clinic?

I've seen top clinics perform miracles with small numbers of grafts and hair mills use twice as many. Since he paid for a top surgeon I think its realistic to expect the former rather than the latter?

Thank you. This is exactly how it is. Why would I spend $15k for a few more hair on my head that doesn't make any real difference in my hair style? I still have to comb my hair same way as before. That means, cover the empty spots. They quoted me 2000 grafts to have a full coverage of my hairline. I don't really think 100% of 2000 graft have regrown honestly

On 7/16/2023 at 7:52 AM, Rawkerboi said:

Try to post the picture without Hair Band. By wearing hair band, the illusion of Hair transplant is gone. 

The results may not be 100% perfect but there is definitely some growth if you compare it with previous month.

Taking pictures with a hair band because this is how it was done by the clinic pre op. So it is to show an "apple to apple" comparison. I can say surely something has regrown but I don't think those are 2000 graft growth. Not even close to that. And I have spent tons of money for this. I can settle for this. I could have just gone to a cheap clinic then

On 7/16/2023 at 8:18 AM, BackFromTheBrink said:

yes! thank you again. This is not definitely related to my expectations. I have been struggle with this since I was 16. Now I am 32. 16 years of minoxidil and then fina/dutasteride. Of course I am exhausted. I literally saved every cents, I starved in order to save money, to go to Canada for H&W. I cannot accept this as a final result

It really can be a debilitating situation and I really do feel for you.

All that you can really do is continue to communicate with your surgeon and wait for the deadline they have set for a result - 12 months.

At that point I would schedule a follow up assessment and discuss what is next. I have confidence that your choice in surgeon will mean he responds ethically and gives you the best route to the outcome you desire.

5 hours ago, milito_22 said:

yes! thank you again. This is not definitely related to my expectations. I have been struggle with this since I was 16. Now I am 32. 16 years of minoxidil and then fina/dutasteride. Of course I am exhausted. I literally saved every cents, I starved in order to save money, to go to Canada for H&W. I cannot accept this as a final result

To be frank, 2000 grafts wasn't going to solve your issue long term especially if your medical treatments didn't cease further hairloss. Your hairloss seems like it'll proceed to a high Norwood level sooner than later and although I agree the cost is a lot, you would have had to get another 1 or 2 additional procedures in the next 10 years or so. I'm sorry you're going through and although I'm sure Hasson and Wong will do what they can to make things right, even with this particular ht being successful, I think you still need to work on your mental health in general. 

5 hours ago, BackFromTheBrink said:

It really can be a debilitating situation and I really do feel for you.

All that you can really do is continue to communicate with your surgeon and wait for the deadline they have set for a result - 12 months.

At that point I would schedule a follow up assessment and discuss what is next. I have confidence that your choice in surgeon will mean he responds ethically and gives you the best route to the outcome you desire.

yes that's what I will do. And as you said I hope he will respond ethically

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

To be frank, 2000 grafts wasn't going to solve your issue long term especially if your medical treatments didn't cease further hairloss. Your hairloss seems like it'll proceed to a high Norwood level sooner than later and although I agree the cost is a lot, you would have had to get another 1 or 2 additional procedures in the next 10 years or so. I'm sorry you're going through and although I'm sure Hasson and Wong will do what they can to make things right, even with this particular ht being successful, I think you still need to work on your mental health in general. 

no, it's the opposite, medical treatment helped me to keep the hair I have so far. 2000 is not enough but this is what Dr. Wong quoted. How much should have been enough for the hairline only?

I don't think you can judge on what to do with my mental health honestly. You don't even know me. You don't even know whether I already see a psychologist or not. The comment is not related to the result of the hair transplant at all

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

12 months post op. Dr. Wong said only 50% regrowth in his opinion and doesn't know the reason. He gave me 2 options:

Either he is gonna refund me 50% of the surgery or he will perform a new surgery, FUT this time, 1500 grafts. 

I don't know what to do. Any suggestions?

cropped_1.jpg

cropped_2.jpg

cropped_3.jpg

cropped_4.jpg

cropped_5.jpg

cropped_6.jpg

cropped_7.jpg

cropped_8.jpg

10 minutes ago, Youth_Again said:

I would either take the FUT or a full refund. 

50% refund is a joke IMO

Why a joke? Wong did the job. Are we sure the OP doesn't have some scalp problem or autoimmune disease that she isn't aware of? Let's go back to the discussion from a few posts ago, surgeons (especially the more expensive and renowned ones) should do a biopsy or recommend doing one, and recommend careful examinations to their patients before operating on them.

17 minutes ago, ITA said:

Why a joke? Wong did the job. Are we sure the OP doesn't have some scalp problem or autoimmune disease that she isn't aware of? Let's go back to the discussion from a few posts ago, surgeons (especially the more expensive and renowned ones) should do a biopsy or recommend doing one, and recommend careful examinations to their patients before operating on them.

I still strongly believe it's a case where majority of the transplanted hairs held but a lot of the miniaturized hairs died. 

27 minutes ago, ITA said:

OP spent 15k for that transplant.

The surgeon looking at the result and saying oh yeah, looks like 50% growth, I will give you a 50% refund. Does not look like he really cares about his work and the fact the results were only 50% successful.

weird approach to me

• Like 1

In your shoes i would first go see a dermatologist to make sure that my skin is ok without any underlying condition. If you are happy with the result as it is now take the refund. If you are not happy with this result take the offer for the fut repair.

Wong is a top doctor and i am sure if you give him the chance he will make it right this time.

• Like 1

I’m struggling with my result so far with H&W as well.

in all honesty, when I compare the photos you show right now to where you were, I see almost no difference. Your hairline hasn’t moved or even really changed in density, just looks like you killed miniaturised unhealthy hairs and replaced them with better hairs.

Echoing the sentiments from @Youth_Again

• Thanks 1

12+ Months Finasteride + Minoxidil

3872 FUE w/ Dr Hasson | November 2022

1 minute ago, mister_25 said:

I’m struggling with my result so far with H&W as well.

in all honesty, when I compare the photos you show right now to where you were, I see almost no difference. Your hairline hasn’t moved or even really changed in density, just looks like you killed miniaturised unhealthy hairs and replaced them with better hairs.

Echoing the sentiments from @Youth_Again

I am sure the OP would rather have never done the surgery knowing what kind of results he would have get.

Personally I wouldnt have. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Youth_Again said:

I am sure the OP would rather have never done the surgery knowing what kind of results he would have get.

Personally I wouldnt have. 

That's a given. I feel that exact way

It's a humiliating and soul crushing experience putting that research in, finding a doctor to place your trust in and ending up not any different or only that tiny bit better. For me it's given me a lot of self hatred issues that I am struggling with and it feels like a losing downhill battle. 

I wish you the best OP. We need it.

56 minutes ago, jjalay said:

In your shoes i would first go see a dermatologist to make sure that my skin is ok without any underlying condition. If you are happy with the result as it is now take the refund. If you are not happy with this result take the offer for the fut repair.

Wong is a top doctor and i am sure if you give him the chance he will make it right this time.

I honestly think he should go to a different surgeon if he is unhappy. This is coming from a H&W patient.

The patient clearly could of restored his hair to a satisfactory level without the need of a FUT scar in a single pass, why go through all of that again with someone who failed you the first time around?

This isn't giving a doctor a chance to make it right, it's giving a second chance.

12+ Months Finasteride + Minoxidil

3872 FUE w/ Dr Hasson | November 2022

Before passing judgement on this case (i.e., saying that the doctor failed the patient, which I believe are a strong choice of words), it would be helpful if OP could get an evaluation by a hair restoration surgeon to assess if the yield of the transplanted hairs was actually 50%, or if it is native hairs that didn't survive the nearby trauma to the scalp.

2500 FUE by Dr. Victor Hasson, June 2023

On 10/4/2023 at 1:17 PM, milito_22 said:

12 months post op. Dr. Wong said only 50% regrowth in his opinion and doesn't know the reason. He gave me 2 options:

Either he is gonna refund me 50% of the surgery or he will perform a new surgery, FUT this time, 1500 grafts. 

I don't know what to do. Any suggestions?

cropped_1.jpg

cropped_2.jpg

cropped_3.jpg

cropped_4.jpg

cropped_5.jpg

cropped_6.jpg

cropped_7.jpg

cropped_8.jpg

You are obviously not happy with the results. I would take the refund and choose another doctor. 

I have to agree, the 50% growth so 50% refund policy is insanely idiotic, he should be embarrassed to even offer that.

The logic is baffling, as if someone came to a hair transplant clinic with the aim to get a 50% return from the procedure. If he admits that only 50% seems to have grown out, that doesn't mean the procedure was 50% succesful, that means it went wrong, and he should own up to it instead of being money hungry. Imagine hiring a contractor to build a house for you, they build it half way or half ass it, and then they say well, we built half.. its not livable, but we still did half 

Edited by TorontoMan

11 hours ago, Rawkerboi said:

I really didn't like the logic of Dr. Wong, 50% Hair Grew hence 50% Refund!

If money is no issue please look out for other doctors

I can see your logic - it doesn't account for loss of donor hair or inconvenience.

However, very few doctors offer refunds and rely on you signing the disclaimer that basically says they do not guarantee results.

He's prepared to offer what most do (a repair) and to give the patient the option of going elsewhere. That may not be ideal, but it's better than most.

• Like 2