Dr De Freitas 2525 grafts 1st Feb

jay80

So after roughly 14 months of waiting, I had my surgery with Dr De Freitas on the 1st of Feb 2023. I think I also waited an additional 3-4 months for my online consultation. I had an in person consultation with Dr Bisanga and he quoted 1700 grafts, possibly 2000 grafts. Online consultation with Eugenix and they quoted 1500 grafts. Dr De freitas quoted 2200 grafts after my online consultation, surgery resulted in 2525 grafts (I wasn't charged for these additional grafts, nice touch).  I decided on De Freitas because of his hairline work and he was willing to be a bit more aggressive, but still natural. My hairloss was very slow since my late 20s, I started finasteride in 2013 and its been stable since (only meds ive taken for hairloss).  I'm 43 in a few weeks. Only my hairline was receeding, no crown loss or thinning anywhere else.

I travelled from the U.K. and the clinic paid for hotel accommodation on the 31st Jan, 1st and 2nd of Feb. Very nice hotel (silken I think) not far from the clinic.

I arrived at 10:45 on the 1st, the surgery was planned over 2 days. I quickly found out it would all be done on 1 day, looking back I'm glad it was all over in 1 day, although it was one hell of a shift, glad it was over in 1 go. I quickly filled out some forms, all the staff speak English and even the Dr Speaks a bit, he says he wants to learn more as its important to him. After completing forms we went and had photos taken, agreed on the hairline and shaved my head. We had expected to do my temples but when he drew the new hairline he said I didn't actually need temple work, it was just the recession  that had given the impression my temples had receeded, I was shocked that he was right. I wanted a natural hairline that was quite straight, with imperfections, more a soft v that I had always had.

I went into the operating room, was given an antibiotic, a muscle relaxant and 10mg diazepam. The numbing injections were a 2/10 in terms of pain, they used a vibrating pain to block the pain of the injections and it worked a treat. Extractions were done by a nurse, all the nursing staff have worked for him for a long time. Think there are also 3-4 techs in the room sorting grafts too. First extractions lasted 2 hours and it was a breeze (the drugs helped). I then had a 10 min break for a snack and toilet break.  We then did the first implantations, The injections in the front were a bit more painful,  but once done I felt nothing.  The first implantations lasted about 2 hours too. I then had 90 minute break for lunch.

Second round of extractions lasted just over 2 hours, another 10 min break then the final implantations, this lasted a bit longer than the previous ones as he is a perfectionist (I had told him to make me his masterpiece and he laughed). I think by the time I finished it was 22:30. The diazepam and muscle relaxant had worn off and I just really wanted it over. I think I had some more pics taken, cleaned up, got changed and then left the clinic just before 23:00. I was really shattered.  Managed to sleep better than I expected the first night.

After the surgery was given antibiotics, gastric protector pills and anti-inflammatories for 5 days. The following few days I had severe swelling in my head, face, between my eyes and cheeks and 2 black eyes, but it faded after about 4 days, so by the 1 week mark I looked pretty normal (apart from the scabby head)

I've now been prescribed 5mg oral minoxidil, continue with finasteride 5 days per week and now add dutasteride 2 days per week.

The staff and the doctor were fantastic and can't recommend them enough, incredibly friendly, professional and so efficient. I'm still in Valencia as I wanted to be close to the clinic for the first 10 days of recovery in case anything went wrong, leave tomorrow and then to Barcelona until the 19th, then back to the U.K. I've had no need to visit the clinic, I contacted via WhatsApp as I thought I lost a graft, but it was just a scab coming off, they told me I could see the Dr no problem, but I felt I didn't need to.

I've posted some before and afters. My hair is grey and I dye it, so the comparisons won't be great until I can start to dye my hair again in a few months. The before pics are a mix of wet hair in the hotel the night before and dry a few days before to see how It normally sits when dry. When I get the pics from the clinic I'll post them too. I'll hang around for a few days to answer any questions, apart from that I'll only be posting updates on a monthly basis.

The afters are close to the window in harsh daylight

Screenshot_20230212_173244_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230212_173230_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230212_173215_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230212_173200_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230212_171937_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230212_171721_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230212_171716_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230212_171628_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230212_173513_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230212_173539_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230212_173553_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230212_173610_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230212_173628_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230212_173708_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230212_173823_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230212_173840_Gallery.jpg

• Like 3

Hello jay! My experience was similar to yours I am 2 months ahead of you. Glad everything went well, I agree that the nurses are extremely efficient and the pain was 2/10 for me too. 

Lucky you for having it done in a day I remember I was dreading the 2nd day, I knew it was going to be a long day. Anyways I wish you recovery, the hairline looks absolutely great. In my opinion dr freitas has the best hairline design in the industry😍

My hair transplant Journey with Dr. Freitas

@drawdownfxthanks mate. Would probably have dreaded knowing in advance it would have been done in one long sitting,  But looking back it was a blessing. 

Been following your posts too and can't wait to see the results, you're gonna have a great result.

Agree his hairlines are amazing, He got mine ever better than I had hoped. Keep up the posts and can't wait to see your result

• Like 1

Great review, everything is looking great!  I’m anxiously awaiting my session in early May.  I’ll be following yours closely. 

Sounds like it was a long day but I think I’d rather get it all over in one shot.  Going through the anesthesia with a tender scalp doesn’t sound fun. 😬
Happy growing!

@GAT Thanks man.  1 day would be better for sure. Not sure if you'd feel the anesthesia the second day as your scalp is still pretty numb from the first day.

Clinic and staff are all great, try just to forget about it until its happening.  Once you get your meds you're in a "happy place" anyway and you won't be stressed at all haha.

On 2/12/2023 at 6:28 PM, jay80 said:

So after roughly 14 months of waiting, I had my surgery with Dr De Freitas on the 1st of Feb 2023. I think I also waited an additional 3-4 months for my online consultation. I had an in person consultation with Dr Bisanga and he quoted 1700 grafts, possibly 2000 grafts. Online consultation with Eugenix and they quoted 1500 grafts. Dr De freitas quoted 2200 grafts after my online consultation, surgery resulted in 2525 grafts (I wasn't charged for these additional grafts, nice touch).  I decided on De Freitas because of his hairline work and he was willing to be a bit more aggressive, but still natural. My hairloss was very slow since my late 20s, I started finasteride in 2013 and its been stable since (only meds ive taken for hairloss).  I'm 43 in a few weeks. Only my hairline was receeding, no crown loss or thinning anywhere else.

I travelled from the U.K. and the clinic paid for hotel accommodation on the 31st Jan, 1st and 2nd of Feb. Very nice hotel (silken I think) not far from the clinic.

I arrived at 10:45 on the 1st, the surgery was planned over 2 days. I quickly found out it would all be done on 1 day, looking back I'm glad it was all over in 1 day, although it was one hell of a shift, glad it was over in 1 go. I quickly filled out some forms, all the staff speak English and even the Dr Speaks a bit, he says he wants to learn more as its important to him. After completing forms we went and had photos taken, agreed on the hairline and shaved my head. We had expected to do my temples but when he drew the new hairline he said I didn't actually need temple work, it was just the recession  that had given the impression my temples had receeded, I was shocked that he was right. I wanted a natural hairline that was quite straight, with imperfections, more a soft v that I had always had.

I went into the operating room, was given an antibiotic, a muscle relaxant and 10mg diazepam. The numbing injections were a 2/10 in terms of pain, they used a vibrating pain to block the pain of the injections and it worked a treat. Extractions were done by a nurse, all the nursing staff have worked for him for a long time. Think there are also 3-4 techs in the room sorting grafts too. First extractions lasted 2 hours and it was a breeze (the drugs helped). I then had a 10 min break for a snack and toilet break.  We then did the first implantations, The injections in the front were a bit more painful,  but once done I felt nothing.  The first implantations lasted about 2 hours too. I then had 90 minute break for lunch.

Second round of extractions lasted just over 2 hours, another 10 min break then the final implantations, this lasted a bit longer than the previous ones as he is a perfectionist (I had told him to make me his masterpiece and he laughed). I think by the time I finished it was 22:30. The diazepam and muscle relaxant had worn off and I just really wanted it over. I think I had some more pics taken, cleaned up, got changed and then left the clinic just before 23:00. I was really shattered.  Managed to sleep better than I expected the first night.

After the surgery was given antibiotics, gastric protector pills and anti-inflammatories for 5 days. The following few days I had severe swelling in my head, face, between my eyes and cheeks and 2 black eyes, but it faded after about 4 days, so by the 1 week mark I looked pretty normal (apart from the scabby head)

I've now been prescribed 5mg oral minoxidil, continue with finasteride 5 days per week and now add dutasteride 2 days per week.

The staff and the doctor were fantastic and can't recommend them enough, incredibly friendly, professional and so efficient. I'm still in Valencia as I wanted to be close to the clinic for the first 10 days of recovery in case anything went wrong, leave tomorrow and then to Barcelona until the 19th, then back to the U.K. I've had no need to visit the clinic, I contacted via WhatsApp as I thought I lost a graft, but it was just a scab coming off, they told me I could see the Dr no problem, but I felt I didn't need to.

I've posted some before and afters. My hair is grey and I dye it, so the comparisons won't be great until I can start to dye my hair again in a few months. The before pics are a mix of wet hair in the hotel the night before and dry a few days before to see how It normally sits when dry. When I get the pics from the clinic I'll post them too. I'll hang around for a few days to answer any questions, apart from that I'll only be posting updates on a monthly basis.

The afters are close to the window in harsh daylight

Screenshot_20230212_173244_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230212_173230_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230212_173215_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230212_173200_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230212_171937_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230212_171721_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230212_171716_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230212_171628_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230212_173513_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230212_173539_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230212_173553_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230212_173610_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230212_173628_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230212_173708_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230212_173823_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230212_173840_Gallery.jpg

Looks really neat. That new hairline is going to be awesome.

• Thanks 1

Keep us posted on your progress. I’ll be seeing Freitas myself in January 2024. It’s a 15 month wait but excited considering the amazing work and results I’ve seen from him. 

My hairloss is more extreme than yours so I plan on budgeting for 2 procedures over the next 2 years.

His hairline work looks pristine. You’re going to be thrilled with the results.

Question - I work remote but I am on camera constantly. Will I be presentable after 2 weeks? That’s the maximum time I can take off from work. Concerned I’ll look awful..

Edited by StayThick36

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2023 at 6:28 PM, StayThick36 said:

Keep us posted on your progress. I’ll be seeing Freitas myself in January 2024. It’s a 15 month wait but excited considering the amazing work and results I’ve seen from him. 

My hairloss is more extreme than yours so I plan on budgeting for 2 procedures over the next 2 years.

His hairline work looks pristine. You’re going to be thrilled with the results.

Question - I work remote but I am on camera constantly. Will I be presentable after 2 weeks? That’s the maximum time I can take off from work. Concerned I’ll look awful..

Cheers mate.  This pic is me in bright daylight exactly 2 weeks after surgery. Everyone is different but I don't think you'll look awful, and you can also play around with the light before you go on camera. Maybe do a test video call with a friend to see how you look on their cam? And play around with the light until you're happy?

Screenshot_20230301_164408_Gallery.jpg

On 2/19/2023 at 9:17 PM, Gasper20 said:

super clean work. what is the price is I may ask?

Thanks. I booked in Jan 2022 and paid 6700 euros for 2200 grafts. I think prices have since gone up

On 2/20/2023 at 12:45 AM, Gatsby said:

@jay80 very clean work and I love the hairline design. 💯👌

Cheers Gatsby.  I'm following your progress and so happy to see the recent brilliant results you've had. Glad you're finally getting great results that will hopefully bring you some peace after a very long and painful process

• Thanks 1

Quack quack.

Now officially at the 1 month mark and the time has flown by quickly. Had some pain in the donor area even until the 2 and a half week mark which has gone.  Had a really flaky scalp and some foliculitis which seems to have gone. Still washing with nizoral 3 times per week and a vitamin shampoo on the other days as instructed by the clinic. May reduce this as don't want to over wash and make my skin dry.

I'm naturally very pale so expected my redness in the recipient area to last a couple of months, it doesn't seem so bad when looking in the mirror and has reduced a good bit, specifically in the last week. Not actually bothered by the pinkness, but I do hate my grey hair, even more than I disliked my receeding hairline,  can't wait to be able to colour it again at the 3 month mark.

Almost all of the hair has shed and doesn't bother me too much, think it looks better when they all go rather than having the true ugly duckling look.  I've even seen a handful of new hairs popping through, not sure if they will come to much or many others will follow at this stage. Not had a haircut but my hairdresser is a friend and I saw her last week. She did a comb through of the donor and said it looks great with only a few red dots, but even at that stage was almost undetectable which I'm happy to hear.

Have been on finasteride since 2013 with no sides.  Since surgery the Dr prescribed oral minoxidil, had some eye puffiness for a week or so but that has gone.  Now take oral dutasteride on a Monday and Friday and finasteride the other days. Zero sides.

Ive taken updated pics, again facing the window and with natutal daylight.  Not great but can see some progress. Apologies for the not great donor pic, but dont have a tripod and had to balance my phone on the window sill.20230301_162754.thumb.jpg.012e8690da8b560656e24d48e94fd6f8.jpg20230301_162700.thumb.jpg.1f632f1758c93c1b2aef004aac940902.jpg20230301_162651.thumb.jpg.b5813817475be905eb88530ab891edc0.jpg20230301_162644.thumb.jpg.506b8f7a51e3028c4f81f75173bc95b0.jpg20230301_162625.thumb.jpg.ebb944194f08c6f7e67fbb0d362a65bb.jpg

42 minutes ago, GAT said:

Donor recovered really well, everything looks to be  on-track.  Thanks for the update.

Cheers mate. I'm happy with the donor. Now the hard part of playing the waiting game

Looking good man, sure it will turn out well!

I had mine done 4 months ago and was told to wait till month 9 to dye hair. What's your info on this? I also have dark brown hair. cheers

1 hour ago, Nolan said:

Looking good man, sure it will turn out well!

I had mine done 4 months ago and was told to wait till month 9 to dye hair. What's your info on this? I also have dark brown hair. cheers

I'm positive the info the clinic gave me said 3 months and then another part of it said 5 months, I'll need to go back and check and let you know. Most stuff I've been reading online suggests you can dye it after 4-6 weeks, so I thought 3 months was being super cautious., I don't expect much new hair in the recipient anyway at 3 months, so can't see the issue with dying donor and untouched hair at 3 months

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jay80 said:

I'm positive the info the clinic gave me said 3 months and then another part of it said 5 months, I'll need to go back and check and let you know. Most stuff I've been reading online suggests you can dye it after 4-6 weeks, so I thought 3 months was being super cautious., I don't expect much new hair in the recipient anyway at 3 months, so can't see the issue with dying donor and untouched hair at 3 months

Yeah good topic and what you say makes sense. Of course I wouldn't want to damage any new growth at this stage so being cautious. Let me know if you find out any info thanks man