Am I a Finasteride non-responder?

The first front on photo is from 2 months ago. The second is from today. Same with the from the top photos. I’ve consistently been on Finasteride 1.25mg/day for over 7 months now and my hair still seems to be thinning and looking worse. What do you guys think? And next course of action?

Can anyone tell what my Norwood pattern is? Am I heading towards a 6/7? 

82D057B5-FC2C-4532-94FE-7DEEA1EBA78A.png

4483A597-C215-4086-ABB0-02A9EF2386A2.jpeg

786C7846-DA2E-4555-ACE9-516B8298DBD3.png

44BE5768-85E2-4B00-B916-E968D7776CF0.jpeg

Edited by Adrenaline7

• Administrators

Too early to say, as long aa you don’t lose more hair, you’re a responder. Those who grow back hair are hyper-responders. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Yeah, I understand that not everyone makes gains on Finasteride. I guess what I’m asking is does it look like I’ve lost further hair? to me, it definitely looks like I have especially around the hairline from the front on photos. This is 7 months on Finasteride so if I’m still losing hair, it doesn’t give me much confidence that I’ve stabilised it enough for a transplant. 

Edited by Adrenaline7

10 hours ago, Adrenaline7 said:

Yeah, I understand that not everyone makes gains on Finasteride. I guess what I’m asking is does it look like I’ve lost further hair? to me, it definitely looks like I have especially around the hairline from the front on photos. This is 7 months on Finasteride so if I’m still losing hair, it doesn’t give me much confidence that I’ve stabilised it enough for a transplant. 

You may want to try a non generic brand, perhaps official brand name propecia, some people did say that  it made a difference. I heard from somewhere that generic versions are only required to have 80% of active ingredient, thus, each generic adds their own 20% of inactive, which could be different from official brand.

Edited by civic

• Administrators
10 hours ago, Adrenaline7 said:

I think 2 months is too soon to tell. You have to give it around 6 months. You may want to add dutasteride once per week if you don’t have any sides.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Thanks for that suggestion Civic. I think I am taking the generic brand. 

3 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I think 2 months is too soon to tell. You have to give it around 6 months. You may want to add dutasteride once per week if you don’t have any sides.

I’ve been on Finasteride for over 7 months, not 2 months. I just started taking Dut once a week as well. 

Edited by Adrenaline7

Bear in mind, finasteride does little to preserve the hairline or temples, it's mostly for keeping your crown and donor stable. The pics are taken in different light, so it's hard to judge. Looks about the same, so you may be retaining.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Adrenaline7 said:

Yes to me it looks like you have continued to have miniaturization. Tough position. Consider talking to your doctor about adding minoxidil or going to Dutasteride or both. 

2 hours ago, StillAlive said:

Bear in mind, finasteride does little to preserve the hairline or temples, it's mostly for keeping your crown and donor stable. The pics are taken in different light, so it's hard to judge. Looks about the same, so you may be retaining.

Just to clarify this. The original studies i believe only focused on the crown, but Finasteride and Dutasteride both work all over the scalp. 

OP you might be going through a combination of a shedding phase from medication like Finasteride and also telogen as part of your normal hair cycles. It sucks, but it can happen. Finasteride by itself is there mainly to slow or if possible halt hair loss and you are on the maximum dosage but if you truly do think you need something more, you can slowly increase the Dutasteride dosages but be prepared for the fact that doing this can actually make you go through another shedding period. 

Also, bear in mind, this process could last for about 3 months for a hair cycle on average. 

I would strongly urge you to consider adding Nizoral with 2% ketoconazole and maybe Microneedling with a derma pen once per week at 1mm to 1.5mm.

3 hours ago, StillAlive said:

Oh so if someone is meant to bald In hairline then fin won’t change that? Does Dut make any difference with hairline?

• Valued Contributor

When comparing your hair and results always ensure that it is the same lighting. Your post treatment photos are outdoors under harsh lighting which always gives hair it's most unfavorable look. I agree with others that you should give finasteride longer (for that's at least 12 months) and then add dutasteride and perhaps oral minoxidil. As @Melvin- Moderator has stated if the MPB has stopped then you are a responder for sure. Anything else is just gravy. All the best!

Alright, I will keep the Finasteride/Dutasteride combination going and see what happens in another couple of months but I can’t take Minoxidil after the sides I got and risk of heart problems. Not worth it for a drug that doesn’t even stop the core problem of hair loss (DHT production). 

On 12/10/2022 at 11:36 AM, JoDimaggio22 said:

Oh so if someone is meant to bald In hairline then fin won’t change that? Does Dut make any difference with hairline?

My understanding is that Finasteride usually still works in stabilising the hairline area, but will be very unlikely to bring any hair back in that area. Like NARMAK said, the original studies were just on the crown so officially this is the area it’s categorically proven to work in high percentages on. 

Anyone want to have a guess as to my hair loss pattern and which NW I’ll end up at without medication or surgical intervention? 

Also, how are my temporal points looking? I’ve heard this is a really difficult part of surgery but have no idea how to judge if I need any work done there. 

Edited by Adrenaline7