Eugenix 3514 grafts (720 on the temples) May 2022 Dr Priyadarshini Das

1 hour ago, mister_25 said:

What characteristics does Dr Zarev and Bisanga say that makes your beard hair different than your scalp hair? 

Does this mean you are not a candidate for using beard grafts?

We didn't go into that too much. I remember that Bisanga said that my beard has different texture. 

And i can add that beard has different color too. 

Posted (edited)
On 3/29/2024 at 3:14 AM, GeneralNorwood said:

Ok, guys, It's time to put cards on the table. 

A week ago I was in Bulgaria and did some sightseeing in beautiful Sofia. However, this was obviously not the main purpose of my visit.

I saw Dr. Zarev. 

Two weeks ago i received message from Zarev's clinic that somebody  cancelled consultation and they offered me this spot. I didn't think twice before buying a flight ticket. Yes, it was off-schedule consultation.

The consultation exceeded my expectations. It lasted for 2 hours and 30 minutes, longer then my consultations with other surgeons combined. Firstly,we talked about my hairloss history. I was showing to him pictures on my phone that i prepeared, he asked me about medications and about family history of balding. I showed him pictures of my dad and uncle, but anyway he said that in my case balding pattern (Norwood 7) is so obvious, that we really don't need to look at family pictures (but we did anyway). 

Then he asked me about my expectations. I said that i want to bring back the naturalness and i think repairing the disconnection is first step to do that. But the most important thing is that I want his opinion on what can be achieved.

He invited me to sit on photosession chair and he started to make pictures from all angles. 

The most interesting part for me was the measurments.

He divided my scalp into more than 80 areas. He said that usually he creates ~60 areas but for my case he must create more, because i had HT already. Yes, guys, 80 areas. It happened. 

Then he used micro camera on this areas, measured them with tape. We could see photos from micro camera on the big screen and he started to calculate grafts/cm2. Some areas had only ~45 grafts/cm2 but others like area above extraction zone had 70+ grafts/cm2. 

Dr. Zarev made some further calculations on the paper for a longer period of time and when he finished said to me that

1. Currently my recipient area needs 5200 grafts.

2. We can extract maximum 6500 from the donor without depletion. So with current needs we are below depletion level. 

3. 8500 grafts can be extracted maximally, but this would require shorter hairstyle on the sides and the back. 

4. I will lose more hair in the future, even with medications. And because of that i will need more HT's. 

I got surgery date in 3 years. However i am on the off-schedule cancellation list. 

IMG_0611.thumb.jpg.7706ec1ab4efd9c0595fb5e4fee14218.jpg

IMG_0141.thumb.jpg.b4e5f5509b7bf3ac07977ab5cb6cbe00.jpg

Did you guys have any other discussion about medication ? What meds are you currently on. 

Dr Zarev seems like a good bet. I would stick with him.

Edited by bigmistake
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Valued Contributor
On 3/28/2024 at 11:01 PM, GeneralNorwood said:

Dr Sever Muresanu said that FUT is not good idea for me, because i don't have virgin scalp and it is not worth the effort. He recommended FUE

I remember you said this and thought it was interesting. I met Dr Sever in person last week and despite having had 3,555 FUE grafts taken out already (just like you!), he said to me that he could "easily get 4,000 grafts" from a strip surgery in my case, plus I'd still be able to have FUE as well (and I'd be a good beard graft candidate as my head hair is naturally more coarse so matches beard better). In my case he doesn't want to do strip yet as it's not needed. He wants to do 1500 grafts to bolster the midscalp and reinforce the frontal third and also wants to extract around 150 or grafts from the hairline as he thinks it's a bit too linear and needs more irregularities. He said my donor was "great", which was a relief!

It's nice to get good hair news, but thought it was worth sharing to show how estimates and considerations can vary a lot between from the same doctor seeing different patients.

• Like 1
  • Well Done 1

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Berba11 said:

I remember you said this and thought it was interesting. I met Dr Sever in person last week and despite having had 3,555 FUE grafts taken out already (just like you!), he said to me that he could "easily get 4,000 grafts" from a strip surgery in my case, plus I'd still be able to have FUE as well (and I'd be a good beard graft candidate as my head hair is naturally more coarse so matches beard better). In my case he doesn't want to do strip yet as it's not needed. He wants to do 1500 grafts to bolster the midscalp and reinforce the frontal third and also wants to extract around 150 or grafts from the hairline as he thinks it's a bit too linear and needs more irregularities. He said my donor was "great", which was a relief!

It's nice to get good hair news, but thought it was worth sharing to show how estimates and considerations can vary a lot between from the same doctor seeing different patients.

Indeed, surgery should be tailored to the individual. I do believe your situation is different from @GeneralNorwood I would not consider you a repair. I wouldn’t recommend strip for general. I agree with Dr. Muresanus assessment. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Valued Contributor
1 hour ago, Melvin- Admin said:

Indeed, surgery should be tailored to the individual. I do believe your situation is different from @GeneralNorwood I would not consider you a repair. I wouldn’t recommend strip for general. I agree with Dr. Muresanus assessment. 

Yes definitely different situations (mine a lot better than GN’s), but interesting parallels in terms number of grafts extracted via FUE, overall pattern of loss (mine not yet as advanced as GN’s), going too aggressive on the first pass and surgeons wanting to refine/modify the hairlines. 

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Berba11 said:

Yes definitely different situations (mine a lot better than GN’s), but interesting parallels in terms number of grafts extracted via FUE, overall pattern of loss (mine not yet as advanced as GN’s), going too aggressive on the first pass and surgeons wanting to refine/modify the hairlines. 

I think you have higher native density in donor area and that's why you are better  candidate for FUT then me. 

My native denisity in donor (untouched by 1st HT) is ~75 grafts/cm2. And my density in area where extractions were  made, is between 45-60 grafts/cm2.

However my hair are thick, not fine. 

Fun fact. The thickest hair that was found by Dr Zarev during consultation was implanted in... temple points. 

PS. I was in London from Friday to Sunday 🤣Touring holiday.

Edited by GeneralNorwood

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Berba11 said:

Damn, we should have grabbed a beer!

Yeah, i found out today, that you were in London too. 

Great city for meetups, it has 4 big airports and shocking number of pubs. If there will be an idea for a forum meeting, I think London is a great place for it. Although it must be said that it is not cheap :D

Edited by GeneralNorwood
  • Like 2