Dr Konior FUE - 1200 grafts

1 hour ago, 5BetaReductase said:

Very clean, as expected. Konior achieves some of the best looking donors- yours is looking quite impressive.

Yes, it’s very reassuring to have the staff look out after your head every day. Everyone there is so caring. How many days are you staying?

Thank you mate, and yes, they are awesome.

I stayed for 6 nights, one night prior to surgery, then 5 after. I'm glad I ended up staying a bit longer, just to have him look over it all before I go 

I think you went to the best surgeon when it comes to hair transplants (in my opinion). Not only do you have a good donor I think in combination to future planning and angulation placement youll have an insane result on your 2nd transplant once you see how everything turns out. 

I know you said its a small procedure of 1200 but why not go with FUT? Wouldn't you prefer to maximize your hair greed and future hair loss since you said you have extensive hair loss given your family history? I am not saying 1200 fue was a bad choice but I am curious on your future approach. Also given that you went with Konior I have seen the FUT scars heal insanely insanely well for people who have a more invasive procedure. Of course not everyone heals the same way but given his and his teams technical skill I think it wouldve been a better choice for the future.

Nonetheless, I bet you will have a very nice result if everything goes 100% perfect. Nonetheless, I am sure that there will be some areas that may need more improvement, because in most cases the first procedure helps to provide a good amount of work and other procedures help to add more density. But if you were to lower the hairline I think you could probably do it minimally and go for more density along the corners (not that its bad) and do small procedures in small steps to solidify the natural look.

Would you mind sharing the graft counts/break downs? Like singles, doubles, etc. hairs per follicular unit.

Lastly, thanks for sharing, and I hope you keep us posted. 

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022

On 11/16/2022 at 5:56 PM, HelpfulFriend said:

Hello everyone,

As of today, I have now finally completed my first HT.

Firstly, I just wanted to thank this forum. It was through this forum that I found Dr Konior, and let me just say, he lives up to his reputation.

I have been corresponding with him since 2020, and we've had a couple of reschedules due to covid. I have pretty much drained his life with the amount of questions, worries, and just hair-fretting in general. Yet, he replies personally to each concern, and at length, and ultimately just takes the times out of his day to make sure his patients are of piece of mind. He is the most accessable and approachable surgeon I have ever interacted with, and it's not even close.

I travelled from Australia (big hike), and arrived yesterday afternoon. 

Day of the surgery:

I arrived at the office at 6:30, and was met by the lovely Karen (who also helped me a TONNE during the pre-surger comms). All of his staff are welcoming, funny, and just make you feel at home. It's relaxed, but extremely professional. People always talk about what a great team they all are, and that's the absolutely truth. 

Dr K spent the first portion of the day discussing my goals, his philosophy, and we just had a general chat about life. To put it bluntly for fellow Aussies, he's just an awesome bloke. 

I am 31, and my family has EXTENSIVE balding in the family. As such, I suggested a very conservative approach, with the temples and sides filled in, but no lowering of the hairline. I have also been on fin and oral minoxidil for 6 years, and this has held me at baseline. Dr K and I agreed, that if I am still at baseline in a few years, I will return to lower the hairline.

The reason he preaches conservative approaches, is ultimately because he is all about future-proofing your loss. And his utilisation of grafts is a testament to this.

The surgery itself was fine, the only painful part was the donor numbing. I have both of my legs and chest tattood, and this was even painful for me. It doesn't last very long, though, so it was fine.

You are given Valiums to relax, and due to jet lag, I slept for a great deal. Before I knew it, it was 4pm and I was finished.

Concerning Dr involvement: Dr K is there for the entire procedure, and extracts all the grafts on his own, with an assistant removing them and for insertion. He then does the insertion also.

The thing that drew me to Dr K, was not only his amazing results, but his bedside manner, how personable he is, and how much he seems to care. And he really does, it's very comforting to have a surgeon that truly instills trust in you prior to an operation.

I know my procedure was relatively small, but the recessed corners had been bothering me for a long time. Every single day, always wearing my hair super long, etc. One plus, is that he said my donor is excellent, so I think the meds are doing their trick (at least for now).

I've attaches some pics, and will upload some donor photos once the dressing comes off. There's also a pic prior to surgery, which shows in full view how far back my hair was getting. Feel free to shoot me a message or comment with any questions. I also haven't got the breakdown of grafts, but I think if was approx 1200, as that's what we agreed upon.

2022-11-16 17_25_54.977-0600~2.jpg

2022-11-16 17_29_18.357-0600~2.jpg

PXL_20221116_233136488~2.jpg

312848213_3024315281200601_163075096789254898_n~2.jpg

How extensive is balding in your family? Because, your native hair looks pretty solid🤷‍♂️ just saying. Like your dad was bald? Or your dad, your dads brothers, your grandfathers…etc. Or, was just your dad bald but his dad fine moms dad fine…I suppose I’m wondering how extensive and how Dr. K came to the understanding that long term planning was needed? I mean yeah anything can happen but I mean the rest of your hair looks solid. 

Edited by Jayson1361

6 hours ago, Vann said:

I think you went to the best surgeon when it comes to hair transplants (in my opinion). Not only do you have a good donor I think in combination to future planning and angulation placement youll have an insane result on your 2nd transplant once you see how everything turns out. 

I know you said its a small procedure of 1200 but why not go with FUT? Wouldn't you prefer to maximize your hair greed and future hair loss since you said you have extensive hair loss given your family history? I am not saying 1200 fue was a bad choice but I am curious on your future approach. Also given that you went with Konior I have seen the FUT scars heal insanely insanely well for people who have a more invasive procedure. Of course not everyone heals the same way but given his and his teams technical skill I think it wouldve been a better choice for the future.

Nonetheless, I bet you will have a very nice result if everything goes 100% perfect. Nonetheless, I am sure that there will be some areas that may need more improvement, because in most cases the first procedure helps to provide a good amount of work and other procedures help to add more density. But if you were to lower the hairline I think you could probably do it minimally and go for more density along the corners (not that its bad) and do small procedures in small steps to solidify the natural look.

Would you mind sharing the graft counts/break downs? Like singles, doubles, etc. hairs per follicular unit.

Lastly, thanks for sharing, and I hope you keep us posted. 

Hey Vann,

I actually originally planned on doing an FUT, I was originally going to do 2000 grafts via strip.

I ended up changing this to FUE when I decided not to lower the hairline. 

Dr K explained that for an amount such as 1200, he can comfortably perform an FUE that will allow an unimpeded strip next time (if needed). So, I will still be able to maximise my grades if need be. I think if I have had gone higher, into the 1600-2000 range, it could impact a subsequent FUT

I still need to get the graft break down, I will tag you once I do :)

Cheers 

Edited by HelpfulFriend
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jayson1361 said:

How extensive is balding in your family? Because, your native hair looks pretty solid🤷‍♂️ just saying. Like your dad was bald? Or your dad, your dads brothers, your grandfathers…etc. Or, was just your dad bald but his dad fine moms dad fine…I suppose I’m wondering how extensive and how Dr. K came to the understanding that long term planning was needed? I mean yeah anything can happen but I mean the rest of your hair looks solid. 

My family history is super bald, like, final boss level. Every male on my father's side is NW 6 at minimum, most are NW 7. My older brother was NW 6 by the time he was mid 30's. Mother's side, hard to say, not a lot of males around. 

Suffice to say, I don't have a male relative that isn't bald from my blood line 😂

I think Dr K would have been happy for me to go a little more aggressive, but he explained that he will never say no to a conservative approach. You can always add more, but removing transplanted hair is tricky.

I am probably ultra conservative, I even opted for FUE in case I lose all my hair and need to shave. 

My donor is very good, but I think this has a lot to do with meds. Being on Finasteride and oral monoxidil for half a decade has really thickener the back portion of my head

31 minutes ago, HelpfulFriend said:

Hello all, one week post op. Some more pics from today.

Nothing really changes, but I figure these may be useful for anyone wonder how their donor/recipient sights would look post op in case they needed to return to work, etc. 

PXL_20221124_003359792.thumb.jpg.e6a5c213fe7ed54bceaae2165b4a37a5.jpg1662751116_PXL_20221124_0030333343.thumb.jpg.834e1ee1996f11d65b74d9c3b24f0e54.jpg

Looking good. This will be a home run result. I was wondering if maybe you can provide a photo like before so i can see how konior designed the hairline with your facial shape/features?

image.png.681ae42c0defcb6239fde8aa0e4767fd.png

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, stephcurry30 said:

Looking good. This will be a home run result. I was wondering if maybe you can provide a photo like before so i can see how konior designed the hairline with your facial shape/features?

image.png.681ae42c0defcb6239fde8aa0e4767fd.png

Hey mate, yep, I'll see if I can find one. I might need to ask the clinic to send theirs 

Looking good. I found applying the aquaphor spray in the post-op instructions really helped loosen the scabs. I applied the spray at night for a few days and the scabs would be moistened and come off with very little pressure the next morning. 

• Thanks 1

Hello friends, almost three weeks out, and nothing major to report with the grafts. 

The scabs are gone, and the grafts are all yet to shed (mostly), I assume this will happen soon 

One thing I've sort of come to the realisation of, is that the middle part of my hair looks like it's receding/miniaturising.

My hair has been getting thinner over the past year, after 6 years of stabilisation on Finasteride and monoxidil, and I have no idea why it seemingly all of the sudden started to shift. I didn't think the middle ground needed work, but now that it's not hidden by the rest of my long hair, it's not looking great. 

I'd rather not hop on dutasteride, but I don't know what else to do (not that there is anything wrong with DUT, but I'd prefer to stay on what I've been tolerating for a long time).

Dr K didn't mention that this area was a concern, so perhaps I am just over analysing hair I never really looked at before. But it feels and looks like a shift in hair calibre that I've been worried about for a while.

I've added some pics of the grafts and the discussed middle part that I'm concerned with.

PXL_20221204_115910151~2.jpg

PXL_20221204_115931022~2.jpg

PXL_20221201_102256746~2.jpg

Edited by HelpfulFriend

32 minutes ago, HelpfulFriend said:

Hello friends, almost three weeks out, and nothing major to report with the grafts. 

The scabs are gone, and the grafts are all yet to shed (mostly), I assume this will happen soon 

One thing I've sort of come to the realisation of, is that the middle part of my hair looks like it's receding/miniaturising.

My hair has been getting thinner over the past year, after 6 years of stabilisation on Finasteride and monoxidil, and I have no idea why it seemingly all of the sudden started to shift. I didn't think the middle ground needed work, but now that it's not hidden by the rest of my long hair, it's not looking great. 

I'd rather not hop on dutasteride, but I don't know what else to do (not that there is anything wrong with DUT, but I'd prefer to stay on what I've been tolerating for a long time).

Dr K didn't mention that this area was a concern, so perhaps I am just over analysing hair I never really looked at before. But it feels and looks like a shift in hair calibre that I've been worried about for a while.

I've added some pics of the grafts and the discussed middle part that I'm concerned with.

PXL_20221204_115910151~2.jpg

PXL_20221204_115931022~2.jpg

PXL_20221201_102256746~2.jpg

I mean your hair did go through surgery so the surrounding tissue was pumped with fluids whether anesthetic or loss of blood, etc. 

your hair will go through some form of ‘shock’ and take some time to heal. Good news from that is that when your skin is healing it can sometimes flourish the area so some hairs may come back that were dormant. Not always the case but it’s nice to temporarily see it all back.

I think you should give it a little more time because the shock is usually temporary and will come back in moderation. 

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022

Yep what @Vann said... should be fine. It wasn't noticed by you or mentioned by the doc as an issue because it's not. You're just noticing it now because as already mentioned and also you're eagle eyeing the hair so much right now. Looks great! Homerun in the making!

6 hours ago, HelpfulFriend said:

I'd rather not hop on dutasteride, but I don't know what else to do (not that there is anything wrong with DUT, but I'd prefer to stay on what I've been tolerating for a long time)

If you have zero sides fron Fin im almost certain youll have zero sides from Dut

To be honest I dont understand why Dut has't outright replaced Fin, and dont get why more guys havent switched from Fin to Dut. 

Fin and Dut basically do the same thing, just Dut is stronger/more effective

Why would anyone want to be on the 2nd best DHT blocker? Especially if you are making such a large investment in hair restoration. Don't sell yourself short.

Edited by HappyMan2021

8 hours ago, Vann said:

I mean your hair did go through surgery so the surrounding tissue was pumped with fluids whether anesthetic or loss of blood, etc. 

your hair will go through some form of ‘shock’ and take some time to heal. Good news from that is that when your skin is healing it can sometimes flourish the area so some hairs may come back that were dormant. Not always the case but it’s nice to temporarily see it all back.

I think you should give it a little more time because the shock is usually temporary and will come back in moderation. 

This is a good point. If the hair loss in the area is new, it’s probably from shock during the surgery and will come back eventually. I had shock loss in areas that had no grafts implanted and it fully recovered around 7-8 months. Don’t start experimenting with new medications if fin/min have been working for you. Wait 8-10 months for the transplant to grow and stop over analyzing your hair every day.

9 hours ago, HelpfulFriend said:

I didn't think the middle ground needed work, but now that it's not hidden by the rest of my long hair, it's not looking great. 

this is a possibility, and something that I myself am concerned about for my own upcoming surgery next month with Dr. Mwamba. I always part my hair to the left, so much of my focus and concern is on the right side of my scalp. Even though the left side of the scalp needs work too, I am simply not as observant or as aware of the issues, since my hairstyle always covers the left side. 

Speaking directly to these concerns, even when you go to an A-list doctor, people need to be vocal and let the doctor know all the issues you want addressed. IMO Dr. Konior seemed to have a conservative approach with this procedure - 1200 grafts is nothing - so perhaps he just worked on the areas you were vocal about, and/or for this surgerry he wanted to go over the immediate prioity items. 

Also, keep in mind that even when you go to an elite doctor, it is still very challenging to have a good result after just 1 go. Elite doctors are definitely capable of planting 70+ cm/2 density, but just like all ht doctors, they must weight the benefit of implanting high density vs graft survival. 

While shock loss can occur anywhere on the scalp - including areas not touched during surgery, the majority of shock loss cases involve direct areas worked on, or areas of the scalp that border/neighbor where work was performed.

Hopefully this helps you analyze whether this was shock loss, a lack of density of the grafts, or simply an unworked area.

Edited by HappyMan2021
  • Like 1