3025 graft fue Hasson & Wong (Dr. Wong)

Your recipent area is looking terrific. Nice and dense. Really clean looking. You have a great attitude about the whole thing which is admirable. I was wondering if you had any pictures of your donor - Pre-op? Post-op? A few days post-op? Thanks for keeping us updated.

Edited by hockeyman

7 hours ago, hockeyman said:

Your recipent area is looking terrific. Nice and dense. Really clean looking. You have a great attitude about the whole thing which is admirable. I was wondering if you had any pictures of your donor - Pre-op? Post-op? A few days post-op? Thanks for keeping us updated.

Right on man, we’re in it together 👊

Donor area pre op93E3D0D6-24A0-4D7A-A02C-E8526E73B60A.thumb.jpeg.e707594f61c5e2e6d533aab4b3d52f10.jpeg

I chose this one because it highlights my thinning crown/cowlick area (right under the light). My hair is long/thick enough that I can cover/mask it pretty easily with some tactical styling/spray however. Couple inches above average height as well so it helps that statistically most folks don’t get a great view ha. Didn’t get any work there this time around but I’ll probably fill that in along with some temple work for my next surgery sometime in the next few years. Hopefully then I (and my pocketbook) will get to chill for a decade lol.

Actually didn’t think to take any donor area shots immediately post op but here’s a look at donor day 4:

D8430AA5-5D97-4448-A1BD-7713DC371B84.thumb.jpeg.6e0d6b653da41fbaf38dcecc6b263ef8.jpeg

Head is slightly turned to get into the light but even the clinic noted that my donor area healed up markedly quickly. I can’t really notice much unless I get right up in there in some light. You can see the contrast line/redness which I’m hoping fades out. I’m not averse to doing smp down the line as well to help with any scarring. Again, part of dropping the cash on a place like H&W is in the hope that the extraction was clean and will have minimal scarring.

4 hours ago, hockeyman said:

Thanks alot for posting those pics. It's hard to believe you are only four days post-op, as your donor is already looking terrific. How do you like your buzzed down look?

Thanks! Appreciate the confidence. Testament to Wongs clean work I imagine. Hopefully it keeps trending in that direction.

And tbh man I dare say I’m kinda rocking it haha. Ironic to have just dropped 23k on a ht to then learn that a lack of hair also looks pretty good. I hadn’t buzzed it since I was a kid and now that I’ve got the addition of a beard, some tats, and 15 years of lifting it definitely works in its own way. Obviously prefer the option and a solid hairline is key. 

Speaking of: your earlier comment regarding your consultation/eyebrow to hairline ratio inspired me to grab a ruler and indeed…right about 7 cm.

Not sure where yours currently sits but refer back to that pic of mine for an idea of where yours would probably land. Sounds like our cases may be mighty similar for sure.

Actually, my existing hairline is at 7cm. Dr. Wong thought it would be wise to leave it where it is, and just rebuild it, along with the frontal area immediately behind.  The only reason I'm hesitant to book my surgery, is because of concerns about my crown.  From April to August, my crown deteriorated more than it ever had before.  I don't want to rebuild the front and not have enough donor for full coverage (he estimated my donor capacity at about 8000 graphs).

4 hours ago, hockeyman said:

Actually, my existing hairline is at 7cm. Dr. Wong thought it would be wise to leave it where it is, and just rebuild it, along with the frontal area immediately behind.  The only reason I'm hesitant to book my surgery, is because of concerns about my crown.  From April to August, my crown deteriorated more than it ever had before.  I don't want to rebuild the front and not have enough donor for full coverage (he estimated my donor capacity at about 8000 graphs).

Fasho. Well it sounds like what he suggested for you is exactly what I ended up going ahead with (hair line + frontal 1/2 rebuilding). You’ll be able to see here what 3000 grafts placed so does for a guy. And theoretically I’ve got 1000 less donor grafts!

5000 remaining grafts after 1 big surgery is a lot. There’s guys who come back from Norwood 5/6 with just that amount. If I recall correctly the crown doesn’t require as much as the front also. Are you on any meds? Couldn’t tolerate them myself but obviously they help (heard several stories of dudes who backed out of ht as unnecessary after seeing medication results).

Up to you obviously and no one can tell you when you’re ready. Nothing wrong with waiting to see more how your pattern plays out, or deciding it’s not for you. For me, I did not want to see what another 9-18 months did to my front and that was the wait time I was looking at otherwise for similarly vetted offices (and then another 9-18 months for full result…)

With my 4000 remaining, I’m hoping to spend 2000ish on the crown and temples sometime in the next 5 years and then keep the remaining 2000ish for an all around touch up hopefully like 10-20 years from now. Beyond that my beard/chest hair is solid and hopefully there’s new meds, tech, etc 

Just an example of a plan and I hope you feel good about whatever you end up doing. One thing that stuck out to me  during my research was the amount of dudes saying “wish I’d done it sooner” and I felt that.

Obviously I don’t have any results to feel good about yet but I can say getting it done was a big psychological weight off my shoulders. Feels peaceful to feel like you’re doing everything you can. Especially given my personal fin experience doing this felt like a big step forward. Your mileage will vary of course.

Thanks for your response. You seem like a good dude. I had never been on meds previously as had been pretty much stable for many years. However, at my consult in August, Dr. Wong reccomended that I get on the Xyon topical finasteride which I did. Been on it since September 1st. 

19 hours ago, hockeyman said:

Thanks for your response. You seem like a good dude. I had never been on meds previously as had been pretty much stable for many years. However, at my consult in August, Dr. Wong reccomended that I get on the Xyon topical finasteride which I did. Been on it since September 1st. 

Hey right on man, however we can help one another on this journey.

How’s that topical fin working out? Same stuff he recommended to me. Any sides to speak of?

I tried the oral (which theoretically goes more systemic) like 2 years ago and it was no good for me. Stopped after a month or two. It works for a lot of people and I definitely think the nocebo/placebo effect is real for a portion of reported sides. Everyone’s biased towards whatever they did generally. Dudes who don’t have a problem with fin (or want to believe they don’t) downplay the incidence/severity and those who have issues (or think they do) probably dramatize/demonize it more than it’s deserved. 

Apologies if tmi but: I had issues keeping it up/maintaining which I was willing to chalk up to anxiety but I also had a qualitatively different (worse) climax sensation and the latter was enough for me to nope out. Thankfully everything subsided after a month off but it was a let down. Was hopeful, played with dosage/frequency, but just didn’t feel like something to mess with in my case. 

I’ve got a bit better emotional handle on the whole “addressing my hairloss” thing now so perhaps that and some topical is enough to make another attempt. You may not have been on it long enough to notice any benefit but I’ll probably want to keep up with you on how that’s working out if you don’t mind (and obviously to the degree you’re comfortable sharing).

If I was pre surgery and without sides I’d probably give fin a good 6-12 months before going under the knife. Who knows, propecia has been around for decades and is well tolerated by many, it may inform your surgery. Hope it works out for you

So far so good with the topical fin. It may be a coincidence, but since starting fin my erections have definitely been firmer. Increased libido too.  I should probably knock on wood when I say that, because its only been a month and the wheels could come off anytime. I debated whether to go oral or topical. The advantage of the oral is the fact that all the hair on the top of your scalp (and your donor to) can benefit from the reduction in dht - simply swallow a pill. That would be advantagous for me because I have some diffuse thinning. The downside, of course, is the greater reduction in systemic dht and increased risk of side effects which is what ultimately led me to go topical. 

As far as the topical goes, the more hair you have the harder it is to actually get it applied and rubbed into your scalp. Pretty easy to miss spots. Just for kicks, I had buzzed down to a #0 at the same time I started the fin. Application was a breeeze at the point, as I was essentially rubbing it into a bald scalp. Now, a month or so later, I'm having to get through a bunch of bristly 3/4 inch hair which isn't fun. 

Day 7 update!

Healing seems to be going well. Very happy with how redness has subsided in the recipient area and based off my prior weeks pictures Dr. Wong said I could stop babying my scalp and return to normal washing etc. Facial swelling gone. Itchiness/pain minimal/none, respectively. The scabbing has definitely taken root in the past 2-3 days and I’ve lost some hairs in my daily washing/scab removal (though I understand shedding to be a part of the process and I seem to be on an expedited healing timeline thankfully).

A9C145FE-23C4-404D-A127-4D1898CC5935.thumb.jpeg.1ffe00f3c2270c5c076d35112b563ffb.jpeg

Close up in the light, but just looking normally in the mirror with my darker hair thankfully things look 80ish% normal.

On 10/10/2022 at 8:58 PM, hockeyman said:

So far so good with the topical fin. It may be a coincidence, but since starting fin my erections have definitely been firmer. Increased libido too.  I should probably knock on wood when I say that, because its only been a month and the wheels could come off anytime. I debated whether to go oral or topical. The advantage of the oral is the fact that all the hair on the top of your scalp (and your donor to) can benefit from the reduction in dht - simply swallow a pill. That would be advantagous for me because I have some diffuse thinning. The downside, of course, is the greater reduction in systemic dht and increased risk of side effects which is what ultimately led me to go topical. 

As far as the topical goes, the more hair you have the harder it is to actually get it applied and rubbed into your scalp. Pretty easy to miss spots. Just for kicks, I had buzzed down to a #0 at the same time I started the fin. Application was a breeeze at the point, as I was essentially rubbing it into a bald scalp. Now, a month or so later, I'm having to get through a bunch of bristly 3/4 inch hair which isn't fun. 

Hmmm makes sense about the application issues. Appreciate this intel! Glad to hear it’s been well for you and hope it continues in that direction. I definitely noticed the onset of my sides within the first 2-3 weeks so if you’ve cleared that barrier I imagine you tolerate it well.

Day 10 update!

Right up in that light. Happy that the redness is mostly gone. The scabs/flakes are starting to fall off and though this pic is gross, it actually is pretty unnoticeable in a normally lit room w my darker hair. I wouldn’t want to go on a first date at this point but I’m starting to look normal, felt comfortable around people without a hat the last couple days etc. I notice a few hair in my hand after touching my scalp at times. Got to remember to not touch it. I was super good about that the 1st week but have let myself get more liberal since the scabbing. I remember reading they naturally (not losing grafts) potentially come out with the scabs and there’s to be some sort of shed in the 2-3 week juncture if I’m following a normal timeline. Got the okay to exercise once scabbing has totally disappeared so look forward to that hopefully next week.

917E1C13-CF5E-44F1-BC78-01933D1D08AD.thumb.jpeg.4a47e1e59cceebd18f2f1a0236c95c6a.jpeg

16 minutes ago, shiba1985 said:

It was a rhetorical question and criticism of his work.

I figured as much but in case keyboard intention was misread on my end I thought I’d encourage a dialogue if you were genuinely curious or maybe considering surgery with him as they’re pretty open about how and why they do stuff.

Anyway, only idiots phrase things like “Not to question but (insert question here)”, particularly in bad faith rhetorical constructs on an anonymous follicle farming forum. 

My horizontal locks and I will be dabbing on you by next summer. Happy growing!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, FollicleFella said:

I figured as much but in case keyboard intention was misread on my end I thought I’d encourage a dialogue if you were genuinely curious or maybe considering surgery with him as they’re pretty open about how and why they do stuff.

Anyway, only idiots phrase things like “Not to question but (insert question here)”, particularly in bad faith rhetorical constructs on an anonymous follicle farming forum. 

My horizontal locks and I will be dabbing on you by next summer. Happy growing!

oh an online bully.

This forum is not about sucking up to anyone. Any and all docs get criticized at the same time I give accolades when I think they are deserved. Diep gets lots of flakes for transplanting in a row and rightfully so, so no reason wongs work can’t be questioned. 

sorry you are butt hurt about it. Your fine hair and your baldy crown with that ugly attitude won’t be dabbing on anyone, let alone me. 

Edited by shiba1985
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, shiba1985 said:

oh an online bully.

This forum is not about sucking up to anyone. Any and all docs get criticized at the same time I give accolades when I think they are deserved. Diep gets lots of flakes for transplanting in a row and rightfully so, so no reason wongs work can’t be questioned. 

sorry you are butt hurt about it. Your fine hair and your baldy crown with that ugly attitude won’t be dabbing on anyone, let alone me. 

No one is bullying anyone dude you’re giving my transplant flak and I’m giving you flak for how you went about it. It’s not that serious and we can be gentlemen.

I’m all for the utility of the forum as a way to unbiasedly compare doctors, I’m not married to Wong I just may as well hope for the best with this one as it’s done!

That said (in the effort of learning for myself and others lurking) what’s the deal with horizontal grafting and why it’s sub optimal? Are there any docs you like whose work is a better example of what you’re referring to (placement I’m assuming)?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, FollicleFella said:

No one is bullying anyone dude you’re giving my transplant flak and I’m giving you flak for how you went about it. It’s not that serious and we can be gentlemen.

I’m all for the utility of the forum as a way to unbiasedly compare doctors, I’m not married to Wong I just may as well hope for the best with this one as it’s done!

That said (in the effort of learning for myself and others lurking) what’s the deal with horizontal grafting and why it’s sub optimal? Are there any docs you like whose work is a better example of what you’re referring to (placement I’m assuming)?

I have a lot of respect for both Hasson and wong. I wasn’t being passive aggressive when I said he is an elite doctor. I am not giving your transplant flak. I think despise the rows your results will looks great. 

hair in nature doesn’t grow in horizontal rows making transplants done in a row less natural appearing. It won’t matter much cause your rows are in the back so they serve the purpose to cover the scalp. It is usually more unnatural when don’t at the frontal hairline. 

was just wondering why he preferred that method, as his partner Dr hassons work looks a bit more “natural” to me. But we are talking about the top 1% ers here, so not that much difference. 

Edited by shiba1985

16 minutes ago, shiba1985 said:

I have a lot of respect for both Hasson and wong. I wasn’t being passive aggressive when I said he is an elite doctor. I am not giving your transplant flak. I think despise the rows your results will looks great. 

hair in nature doesn’t grow in horizontal rows making transplants done in a row less natural appearing. It won’t matter much cause your rows are in the back so they serve the purpose to cover the scalp. It is usually more unnatural when don’t at the frontal hairline. 

was just wondering why he preferred that method, as his partner Dr hassons work looks a bit more “natural” to me. But we are talking about the top 1% ers here, so not that much difference. 

Thank you the breakdown/explanation, definitely makes sense. I as well wasn’t trying to be passive aggressive when I said to email him about it if you were curious towards the end of considering surgery with the office. To anyone lurking: seems like a very in bounds question for anyone on the fence about dropping that kind of money that a good office will have some rhyme/reason for.

Aside from Hasson, who else do you like for naturalness/graft placement? You seem to have good knowledge about the subject and attention to detail. All things are relative of course but do you think Konior is worth the price tag? I would like to get my temples/crown done down the line and, while I certainly have had a good enough experience with Wong up to this point to be a recommendation/repeat customer, Dr. K’s office is just much, much closer to me (albeit with a 1-2 year wait time).

• Administrators

I think it looks great, I see a lot of people talking about implantation patterns. Diep is usually the one brought up, there has been some discussion regarding whether implanting in this manner allows for more growth, as the fu don't compete for blood supply. End of the day, how it looks post-op isn't going to be how it looks when it grows out. Happy growing OP.

• Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Little 2 weeks from surgery update here

Both of these pics are pretty close to the light, first directly and second indirectly. They are pre wash, which inevitably always looks worse from a flaking/scabbing standpoint. Now that I’m outside the immediate post surgery window I’m probably going to take advantage of this buzzcut and start applying some tea tree oil, etc for the scab fall/flaking/dandruff which seems to be the only remaining drag (any recommendations here are much appreciated. I’ve never really tried to address my dandruff outside of beginning to use keto shampoo 1-2x a week like 2 years ago when I found out I had mpb). The redness has gone down a lot, there’s still a slight hue of discoloration, but I definitely feel comfortable being around people without a hat. Just looking in the mirror in a normally lit room things look 90ish% business as usual. Donor area is totally fine and I even got my hair cut/faded yesterday (strictly the back/sides no recipient area).

47CACE9C-9A50-4530-9BBB-78BB25C4D6B9.thumb.jpeg.1235e030e8e8f0f41daa4b83824c1edd.jpeg1F539542-65F7-4862-8F6E-C7D8F5DD6736.thumb.jpeg.2bca27bc80b2bd97b932b16b20fc97ed.jpeg