Is FUT the obvious choice if I intend to rock longer hair styles?

Hey y'all. Title is pretty obvious.  I'm 31, and have been on fin since I was 24.  I've noticed a little recession over the past 7 years, but everything is fairly stable.  

Back when I started this journey, I was in the military.  I'm now off active duty and can have longer hair styles.  I'm mixed race Japanese/Caucasian.  I have thick, wavy black hair.  Even now, I get a ton of compliments on it at a longer length.  I'm about a NWIII.  I like to wear my hair longer, don't mind it being longer on the sides.

With that in mind - is an FUT the obvious solution over FUE?  It's way more affordable, and it seems like the trichophytic closure minimizes scaring from the strip; notwithstanding individual healing characteristics, of course.  From what I've read, it seems as though FUE has gotten better in terms of graft survival.  Just wondering if FUT makes more sense here.  How does recovery of the donor compare between the two?

Shortlist of surgeons:  Konior, Hasson, Gabel, Rahal.  

Open to other recommendations.  Main goal is decreasing size of my forehead and having a nice hairline that frames my face and balances it out better than a large forehead.

Nowadays most skilled doctors can extract almost as much follicles from a donor than a FUT strip but yeah, if you are 100% going to have long hair and never reveal scars it should theorically yield more grafts for less real estate so it makes sense. Personally I dont think a huge ass scar in your back is ever worth it just in case. Seems like not a necessity nowdays imo. That said, it is clearly superior if your only goal is max graft extraction without caring about the scar part.

Edited by WhereIsMyMind
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Orangerade said:

Hey y'all. Title is pretty obvious.  I'm 31, and have been on fin since I was 24.  I've noticed a little recession over the past 7 years, but everything is fairly stable.  

Back when I started this journey, I was in the military.  I'm now off active duty and can have longer hair styles.  I'm mixed race Japanese/Caucasian.  I have thick, wavy black hair.  Even now, I get a ton of compliments on it at a longer length.  I'm about a NWIII.  I like to wear my hair longer, don't mind it being longer on the sides.

With that in mind - is an FUT the obvious solution over FUE?  It's way more affordable, and it seems like the trichophytic closure minimizes scaring from the strip; notwithstanding individual healing characteristics, of course.  From what I've read, it seems as though FUE has gotten better in terms of graft survival.  Just wondering if FUT makes more sense here.  How does recovery of the donor compare between the two?

Open to other recommendations.  Main goal is decreasing size of my forehead and having a nice hairline that frames my face and balances it out better than a large forehead.

The method imo is less important these days than the competence of the one who carries it out. FUT has a longer healing period abd objectively even the pioneers of it like Hasson and Wong are moving away from that to FUE so that shows you how good it must have become. 

FUT or FUE, longer hair are needed to try mask the scars however, and this is just my personal opinion but FUE scars can be typically in the hands of a good surgeon be re-used for the same area a couple times donor laxity allowing and then if you truly feel done at that point, the linear scar imo is potentially easier to transplant or SMP than multiple dots around the head, albeit everybody's mileage may vary. 

That said, i chose FUE and specifically Eugenix for myself because i needed complete temple point restoration and they could cherry pick grafts from the nape of the neck. 

I do genuinely think it's all a case by case basis and even though i generally don't intent to keep my hair really short, the lowest i ever went in my teens/early 20s was a Grade 2. So i might for the heck of it do that after a year to see how the donor visually looks that short. 

Your goals imo are what matter but also whether you wish to go through with the extended recovery of an FUT as well as the linear scar that sometimes can stretch over time too. 

45 minutes ago, Orangerade said:

Save yourself the money and get a small, long scar that no one will ever see or spend more and have tons of little ones no one will ever see.  It's 6 one, half dozen the other.  Except the 10k or so you'll save, that's a pretty big deal IMO.

Edited by John1991

Is the main reason you want to go for FUT is because it's cheaper? From what you've said, it seems like you have a good head of hair and don't have aggressive hair loss. If you go to a doctor like Konior, your scar should be fine. However, some of the best FUE doctors are even cheaper, like Dr. Freitas.

• Administrators

Rahal no longer does FUT just as an FYI. Hasson rarely does FUT and will reserve it for NW7s. Gabel and Konior do FUT and FUE regularly. These days, I would say they probably do more FUE because that's the market demand. If you never plan on wearing your hair short again, then FUT is a good choice. It's going to be WAY cheaper, which is a big benefit. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

3 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Rahal no longer does FUT just as an FYI. Hasson rarely does FUT and will reserve it for NW7s. Gabel and Konior do FUT and FUE regularly. These days, I would say they probably do more FUE because that's the market demand. If you never plan on wearing your hair short again, then FUT is a good choice. It's going to be WAY cheaper, which is a big benefit. 

Why are they leaving FUT by chance? Just less demand?

FUE has much better recovery time, allows the doctor to cherry pick grafts, and only take what they need.

If the doctor cuts a strip of skin from the back of your head, then he's gonna get whatever number of grafts is in that strip. Too few or too many? Well... 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Corbyn said:

@Orangerade

Hi Orange. 

I'm also searching for answers and still awaiting replies from other forum members.

I recently came across BEQ clinic and made contact with them. I'm a Norwood 6 and they've asked me to go to their clinic in Thailand for a hair diagnosis first. This is even after I've provided them with the usual pictures. The reason why I'm quite keen on BEQ clinic is because I like how the new hair on their transplant patients looks like. However I am unable to find any reviews of their clinic online apart from what's stated on their website.

I was previously very keen on Dr Pong who I believe, based on this forum and elsewhere, was a pupil of Dr Path. Dr Pong's website has a dedicated section on thousands of his patients hair transplant before and after pictures, which also includes the hair growth after a year. However I have always been uncomfortable with the way Dr Pong's patients hair looks after their respective transplants (just my personal preference). Dr Path is way too expensive and I have yet to contact their clinic to see if I am a suitable candidate for them.

I'm also quite impressed with Dr Diep from America but the costs are just too high for me. I'm from Southeast Asia and I doubt I can afford his rates. 

As for Eugenix clinics in India, their prices are just too exhorbitant for me. They've done brilliantly with their marketing strategies from the videos on youtube and elsewhere but their pricing is just too steep. 

A few things bothered me with Eugenix.

1) Their prices increased quite rapidly over a few years. 

2) I could be wrong but they have ambassadors across a few forums advocating for the clinic and I'm not entirely convinced about what they have said in response to people's queries

3) For the price Eugenix is now charging, one can easily go to Turkey, have a holiday and get the hair transplant done

Has anyone communicated with BEQ clinic or done any transplants with them before? Would appreciate any feedback, comments and advice that other forum members may have for me.

https://www.facebook.com/beqclinic/

https://beqclinic.com/en/homepage/

I don't mean to derail OPs thread but saying things like:

"For the price Eugenix is now charging, one can easily go to Turkey, have a holiday and get the hair transplant done" 

Is exactly how many people ended up in hair mills like Asli Tarcan, Hair of Istanbul etc. and their donors butchered. I do agree there are some criticisms that can be levied towards the clinic mentioned with their pricing and structures due to rapid rise through use of marketing but, when demand increases for a particular place, prices usually do too if they're at a good enough level and there's an argument to say just because they're located in X location doesn't entitle them to charge less than they're worth although i do 100% understand that side too. 

We need to firstly focus on the ability of a clinic and the end goal we want to achieve and then much like OPs question decide if that clinic/HT method is the best for us. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Interesting, didn't realize that Rahal no longer does FUT.  At the same time - is the market demand also because the surgeons can charge so much more for FUE vs FUT?  Seems like more of a money maker compared to FUT for the clinics. 

16 hours ago, Orangerade said:

I have had a FUT done 10 years ago (when I was 30 😊). Scar at the time was not visible even at short hair length but over time skin stretches and it becomes more visible. Also in my case as I get older I prefer to keep shorter hair and that makes me somewhat uncomfortable coz I am worried about scar being visible.

If FUE at the time was as evolved as it is now, I would have gone for FUE. I can only suggest that if possible, don’t let the cost decide it for you. A right procedure done once, even if expensive, is going to be much better for you financially and mentally over time.

I had my 3rd procedure done 7 months ago, @ Eugenix this time. We even covered my FUT scar. Having had 3 procedures now, I can tell you that this has been the best for me.

good luck with whatever you decide!

Edited by Boomerang

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Orangerade said:

Interesting, didn't realize that Rahal no longer does FUT.  At the same time - is the market demand also because the surgeons can charge so much more for FUE vs FUT?  Seems like more of a money maker compared to FUT for the clinics. 

Not really, FUT required more staffing. The reason H&W were able to do megasessions is because they had the staff. Ultimately, I think it’s because the demand for FUT has dropped to a tiny percentage. Let’s say you lose staff that know how to sliver strips. Less and less people know how to do strip surgery including techs. So do you replace them or just 86 the technique from your practice since, only a few get it done a year anyway.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

26 minutes ago, Boomerang said:

I have had a FUT done 10 years ago (when I was 30 😊). Scar at the time was not visible even at short hair length but over time skin stretches and it becomes more visible. Also in my case as I get older I prefer to keep shorter hair and that makes me somewhat uncomfortable coz I am worried about scar being visible.

If FUE at the time was as evolved as it is now, I would have gone for FUE. I can only suggest that if possible, don’t let the cost decide it for you. A right procedure done once, even if expensive, is going to be much better for you financially and mentally over time.

I had my 3rd procedure done 7 months ago, @ Eugenix this time. We even covered my FUT scar. Having had 3 procedures now, I can tell you that this has been the best for me.

good luck with whatever you decide!

Would you mind posting photos, or a link if you've tracked your journey on here?  Perhaps I should consider FUE.  My biggest goal is to have a great hairline that frames my face and looks natural.  

2 hours ago, Orangerade said:

Would you mind posting photos, or a link if you've tracked your journey on here?  Perhaps I should consider FUE.  My biggest goal is to have a great hairline that frames my face and looks natural.  

I think you should consider FUE as it sounds like you don't have aggressive hair loss. Probably the best FUE surgeons are in Europe and charge less or just about the same as you'd pay for FUT in America. I'm not a Freitas shill, but just saw a thread where Freitas charged someone in April around 3 euros per graft for FUE. Freaking steal!

• Like 1

I suppose I'll load some photos up.  Keep in mind that my hair is likely "fine as is" - I'd really like to lower my hairline and shorten how large my forehead as grown due to recession.  I know I look perfectly fine as is.  Just want to improve my appearance further.  Thinking I'm likely a NWIII?image.thumb.jpeg.9dda7da684fafc7f652ac1d8b5932d47.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.dac945d24fa8fe4c6ef912c9fd0ea718.jpeg

frontal pulled back.jpg

left.jpg

right side.jpg

I see your only reasoning for leaning toward FUT is lower cost.

I don’t think that should be your deciding factor, but only you know your personal preferences in life.

In most cases I believe that FUE is now superior to FUT overall. And the avoidance of cutting out a strip of skin and pulling the scalp back together? That’s still the biggest positive of all. 

I endorse FUE all the way. 

Edited by general-etwan

12 hours ago, Orangerade said:

I suppose I'll load some photos up.  Keep in mind that my hair is likely "fine as is" - I'd really like to lower my hairline and shorten how large my forehead as grown due to recession.  I know I look perfectly fine as is.  Just want to improve my appearance further.  Thinking I'm likely a NWIII?image.thumb.jpeg.9dda7da684fafc7f652ac1d8b5932d47.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.dac945d24fa8fe4c6ef912c9fd0ea718.jpeg

frontal pulled back.jpg

left.jpg

right side.jpg

I'd say NW2 but honestly, NW2 and NW3 are really similar and it's not like there's a definitive cutoff point where it's NW2 instead of NW3. My situation is similar to yours and I'm going to Spain.

If your goal is to save money, you could always try Europe.