xyon topical : application question

hockeyman

Hey guys. I was excited to try this new topical but I'm wondering how difficult it is to actually apply? How is a person supposed to make that one little pump's worth cover the entire top of the scalp?  I  just don't get it. Seems especially problematic with a lot of existing hair. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

• Administrators

Have you received it yet? @Pat - Community Publisher has been using for 6 months now and thinks it works fantastic. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Does he apply it to his entire scalp?  On their website, it shows the amount dispensed with one pump and it doesn't look like it would cover a whole scalp. I haven't received it yet. Actually, I've just encountered a major hurdle as I have been informed by Xyon that they do not partner with any pharmacies in the province where I live (Saskatchewan). This is very disappointing as I was really hoping to try it out.

6 hours ago, hockeyman said:

Does he apply it to his entire scalp?  On their website, it shows the amount dispensed with one pump and it doesn't look like it would cover a whole scalp. I haven't received it yet. Actually, I've just encountered a major hurdle as I have been informed by Xyon that they do not partner with any pharmacies in the province where I live (Saskatchewan). This is very disappointing as I was really hoping to try it out.

Yeah mean they can't just post it? Guess I'll never get to try it where I am LMAO

• Administrators
6 hours ago, hockeyman said:

Is he using it everyday?

Yes, he uses it everyday. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• Administrators
20 minutes ago, BurnieBurns said:

Yeah mean they can't just post it? Guess I'll never get to try it where I am LMAO

Are you sure about that? Let me tag them, I believe they should be available everywhere in the US and Canada. @XYON Health

• Like 1

View my thread

It looks like I can perhaps get it. If you attempt to go through the Xyon Canada website it says that Saskatchewan is not currently part of the coverage area.  However, I think it might be available to Saskatchewan patients by clicking on a link on the H&W website.

Could someone who has used this topical please give me a rundown of your routine.  I'm really struggling with the oral/topical decision. 

- are you applying everday or eod?

- do you apply in the morning or evening? 

- do you shower first?

- I know the idea behind this gel is a slow, timed release - how long after application would a person have to wait before working out and showering?

Thanks for any insights that you can provide.

18 hours ago, hockeyman said:

Could someone who has used this topical please give me a rundown of your routine.  I'm really struggling with the oral/topical decision. 

- are you applying everday or eod?

- do you apply in the morning or evening? 

- do you shower first?

- I know the idea behind this gel is a slow, timed release - how long after application would a person have to wait before working out and showering?

Thanks for any insights that you can provide.

Hey hockeyman,

I apply MWF but this is due to experiencing side effects on fin previously. I apply in the morning when I wake up, but if I shower I apply after I shower. 

i say just go for it you’ve got nothing to lose and I would also advise not to read about side effects because the nocebo is real.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply. I'm really undecided about oral or topical but I need to make a decision. A few other questions if you don't mind.

1. If you apply in the morning is it okay to shower later in the evening?

2. Do you apply to the whole scalp? To me it would seem difficult to make sure you were hitting every spot. Obviously with the oral, the entire scalp is receiving the fin. In the email from xyon, instructions said that if a person wants to cover a large area, they could use 2 pumps worth every 2nd day instead of one pump everyday.  

1 hour ago, hockeyman said:

Thanks for the reply. I'm really undecided about oral or topical but I need to make a decision. A few other questions if you don't mind.

1. If you apply in the morning is it okay to shower later in the evening?

2. Do you apply to the whole scalp? To me it would seem difficult to make sure you were hitting every spot. Obviously with the oral, the entire scalp is receiving the fin. In the email from xyon, instructions said that if a person wants to cover a large area, they could use 2 pumps worth every 2nd day instead of one pump everyday.  

To answer your questions based on the information found in the instruction booklet that came with the product:
1. "Apply in the morning. Do not wash your hair until later in the day after applying the gel. Do not wash your hair immediately after applying the gel. If you need to wash your hair, wait until the afternoon or evening."
2. You have the answer for this one already. "For larger areas of hair loss: Every second morning, dispense 2 full pumps (2 ml) onto your fingertips..."

I've been told by the pharmacist that although it's recommended to apply the gel in the morning, it's mainly for practical reasons and I could be applying it later on during the day if I wanted to. They don't recommend evening applications to avoid getting it on your pillow.

I just received the product today and haven't used it yet. I'll be creating a post within a few days and share my experience with the gel.

• Like 1

Thanks very much for providing that information. I need to make a decision about the oral/topical route. Are you planning to apply to your entire scalp?  Do you have any concerns regarding getting it on to your actual scalp as opposed to wasting a bunch coating your existing hair?

2 hours ago, hockeyman said:

Thanks very much for providing that information. I need to make a decision about the oral/topical route. Are you planning to apply to your entire scalp?  Do you have any concerns regarding getting it on to your actual scalp as opposed to wasting a bunch coating your existing hair?

No problem. I'll be applying it to my temples and hairline as those are the only areas affected by hair loss at least for now. 
I do wonder how applying it to my scalp without wasting too much on my hair will play out, but I guess we'll just have to see how it goes.

This gel is fairly expensive and considerably more fiddly than just popping a pill so I think most people who are giving it a shot have already tried oral Fin and experienced adverse side effects. You could try microdosing oral Fin and see how your body reacts or if you're really concerned then just try this gel first and go from there. 
For me, the lower I went with the dose and frequency of taking oral Fin the less side effects I experienced. Unfortunately, even on 0.25mcg MWF I wasn't happy with how I felt so eventually I decided to stop. I'm hoping that the amount of Fin that will go systemic on this topical will be so low that I won't actually have any sides while still enjoy the benefits. 

Even with two pumps, it seems like it would be difficult to cover larger areas of scalp for people with higher Norwood patterns, or for those wanting to just be aggressive about prevention and avoiding miniaturization in susceptible areas.

• 4 months later...

It might be such that as long as you distribute it with sufficiently small spacing throughout the desired affected area that once absorbed it disperses inside the skin locally beyond the immediate area it was rubbed in through, effectively expanding the total area it was applied to and is effective on (but I am not sure on this)

also dr wong told me to squirt the pump onto the bathroom counter then lightly dap it with finger tip and part the hair at each location that you want to dap and rub in to. This makes the process of distributing it easier and the gel doesn’t get absorbed into the sink counter as you work to distribute it the way it would start to passively be absorbed by your hand or finger if you squirt the pump onto your hand or finger tip and letting it sit there while you distribute it to the scalp.

Edited by Der3k7
  • Like 2

I just asked Wong this question asking if my above statement is correct and he confirmed yes it does diffuse in the scalp. So application doesn’t have to be perfect, just try to distribute it throughout the scalp and the dosage will spread to nearby areas. Just try to make sure the spacing is sufficiently small I would say so with the diffusion of the medicine all problem areas will be dosed 

Can we apply minoxidil before/after the gel ?

Minoxidil : 5% topical 1ml/day
Follicular androgen receptor inhibitor : {Fluridil + CosmeRNA}
Exosome Mesotherapy 1mm (See here for explanations & results) : ASCE+ HRLV AAPE for Hair secretomes + human Umbilical Chord Exosomes